It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-1070] Tray Issues  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 04:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I recently picked up a Pioneer CLD-1070. I removed the tray to access the belt to replace it, but upon reassembly, I believe the tray/gear timing is off.

Upon pressing eject, the tray will eject fully, hang with the motor running and then finally go back into the player. If I gently pull the tray just a little bit while it is hanging, it will immediately go back into the player. I've attached a photo of the gear responsible for moving the tray. There is a blue mark on it which makes me think it has something to do with alignment. It seems that the tray is 1 notch too forward and it is attempting to eject beyond its limit. I've been trying to correct it for a while with no success. Any suggestions?

Finally, here is a video of the issue. I did not interfere with the player in any way during it.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 9.35.22 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 9.35.22 PM.jpg [ 120.24 KiB | Viewed 4637 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-1070 Tray Issues
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 17:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds pretty likely it's alignment. The blue mark should line-up with another mark on an adjacent gear but I have no idea how the alignment works. Here is the service manual for the CLD-1400 (same chassis) that might help.

http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-1400/CLD-1400_EN-FR-ES-Service-Manual_Scan.pdf

Maybe Kurtis can also provide input on it as well.

Once you get it fixed (I'm sure you will), try not to mess with gearing in the future especially when it comes to belt replacement. You should be able to access the loading belt by ejecting the tray and with the cover off.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 21:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks ldfan!

Within a few minutes of reading your post, I had everything back in working order. The 1070 service manual has not been uploaded so I disassembled and (partially) reassembled blindly. I was unaware of the 1400 being almost identical. I'm lucky I didn't break anything. The blue dot on the gear marks the "missing tooth".

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 05:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

After using this player a few times, I've noticed that it will continuously loop (5 second segments or so) around the 39-42 minute mark on CLV discs. If I attempt to fast forward, it will usually loop but if it does go forward, it seems like tracking is completely lost and it makes an interesting dot matrix printer sound.

Additionally CDs will not play at all, and I need to check that CAV will play all the way through. I've also noticed that the cam spring looks stretched out. I've cleaned and applied new white lithium grease to the laser pickup assembly and oiled the rail.

Anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 07:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sound like some sort of obstruction if the issue keeps happening in that area of LD playback. Might want to observe what the laser pick up is doing in that time frame. I had some residual glue on the laser pick-up ribbon cable of my D701 that caused a consistent skipping at certain areas of disc playback.

In respect to CD playback, does the machine at least recognize it's a CD and pull up the TOC?

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 08:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'll see if I can get a better view and possibly a video of the skipping.

It does not recognize the CD at all. I've tried multiple retail albums. Kurtis mentioned a spindle centering issue here that I need to look into: Some audio cds won't play on my Pioneer CLD-1750

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 17:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I was going to post last night but it was late.

I'm no tech but I know it has to play the CD first then any non playing LD issues are something else.

Also if the gear is broken I wonder if that has to do with looping? the centering would do it no doubt.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 23:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yes, you need to check the spindle centering playing CDs. This out of adjustment can affect multiple issues.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 05:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I began adjusting spindle centering blindly since I do not have an oscilliscope. I should probably go ahead and grab the holy trinity of oscilliscope, test disc (GGV1002 doesn't appear to be available anymore), and service remote since I like tinkering with these. (At the very least I can pretend I'm an EE :lol: ).

There was adhesive keeping the shaft adjustment lever in place that I had to remove. It seemed to "shatter" upon adjustment, but this was easily picked up by a cotton swap with a bit of silicone grease on the end.

CDs will now spin up a little then stop which is progress. It seems LDs now take a longer to start being read by the laser though.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 09:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I removed all gears associated with the cam gear, cleaned and regreased them. Upon reinsertion, I ensured that everything was aligned properly according to the manual. It reads both CDs and LDs now.

CLVs still loop or tracking is lost around 40 minutes unfortunately. I probably need to try to adjust the spindle centering just a bit more.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 00:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You get a decent centering adjustment using a CD as you can turn the screwdriver in one direction until the audio just starts to breakup, then turn the other direction counting the turn count until the audio just starts to break and then turn back half the count to be an approximate center. If you are still looping with CLV discs but CAV work OK then you have servo or alignment issues.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 17:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I attempted the centering adjustment based on your instructions, but it is very finicky. I would align on one CD and then another one would not play. Now it seems none will play. I can center it to the point of where it thinks about reading a CD for several seconds, but ends up either bailing or scanning the entire disc and ejecting. The time I did get a CD to play though, I left it playing. It eventually lost tracking/started jumping.

So far CAVs look good. I didn't watch one intently, but it did complete play. I need to check another.

When you say servo Kurtis, are you referring to the tracking servo?

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 05:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you are having this much trouble playing CD's then either the tilt is way off or the pickup is just bad (signal getting weak). You should have found a point where all CD's played fine.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 06:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for taking the time to look into this Kurtis. I'll continue tinkering around. I think (and hope) the tilt is probably off.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-1070] Tray Issues
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2021, 11:59 
First post
First post

Hi cplusplus,
I know this is an old thread.
I'm having trouble aligning my tray too after removing it from my cld-d502. What did you align the missing tray gear tooth to? I tried aligning it halfway on the tray metal frame which didn't work.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-1070] Tray Issues
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2021, 20:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Press eject on the player so it ejects fully. Pull the power.

Turn the gear in the photo of the first post (with the blue dot) towards the back of the player until it can't be turned further. Now you need to turn it the other way just a tad. With the power still off try reinserting tray all the way back to see if it lined up right. If not pull it back out and repeat until you find the right position. Some times I get it on the first try and sometimes it takes several.

Attachments:
Tray_Alignment.jpg
Tray_Alignment.jpg [ 44.07 KiB | Viewed 2886 times ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]