It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:55

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: LD rating
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 03:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's too bad that we have to wait for 3 rating to see what people think about a LD version.
I know that 1 people rating is not the best, but it's better than nothing to have one point of view.
And many LD will never be rating more than once, because not so much people has the LD, and even if they have it they hardly take the time to rate it.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

Post subject: Re: LD rating
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 00:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I too feel that getting that many reviews or ratings will be hard.
But then again I feel that getting a single review from someone who may not know what to look for would also be hard.

I know that early on and even now I can't detect some issues that others talk about when I did have a CRT.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2018, 14:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, you're right, but, because people will see this review, and will not agree, they will start to review it too, to react to the first preview.
Or some user will want to see discs with good review, and will react to the review.
Lot of people will start to review disc also because they will know that their review will be display, even if they are alone.
I gave up many times to review discs because only I possess the LD, then I cannot even think 2 other people will get it, and review it...
But If I could discover a really good version of a movie, I would like to express it to others by my review. They will like it or not, then reviews will increase and become better.
Else, no one will start to see theses discs.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2018, 22:31 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mimylovesjapan wrote:
It's too bad that we have to wait for 3 rating to see what people think about a LD version.

I moved it to 2 instead of 3, let's see how it goes.

Julien

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 10:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, let's see ! But I am sure that 1 would boost the review on all the site !

A really good system to dynamise the review system, in the future, would be to create a system of comment to justify the review. I think that one justified review is better than ten without comment.
Like legendra for games :
https://www.legendra.com/rpg/fiche-arti ... mmentaires
https://www.legendra.com/rpg/fiche-arti ... lets_fiche
you have a global page about the game (like any LD on LDDB) + a tag to access to comments. You can see the average of the reviews on the main page, and the detail of comments on the comment page.
I usually choose my next game to do by seeing the review and reading the comment.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 01:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

would it be possible also in the future to add half point rating ? And also 0 point rating ?
Because now, we have only the choice between 1,2,3,4,5. If the movie it not bad or not good, I would like to rate it 2.5. If it is crazy bad, 0.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018, 01:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mimylovesjapan wrote:
Because now, we have only the choice between 1,2,3,4,5. If the movie it not bad or not good, I would like to rate it 2.5. If it is crazy bad, 0.

In my "vision", 1 star means 0% and 5 stars 100%.

2.5 (50%) is therefore 3 stars :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018, 01:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, I was having a conversation with my wife about how the five star deal is a joke.

Technically we lose in any rating lower than 5 and 4. if something is 50% 2 isn't and 3 isn't as 3 is really more of a 60% and if you were to rate yourself in a job would you rate yourself as a 60%.

4 would be more of an 80% but what if someone is really a 75% now they get an extra 5% due to there being a lack.

And really a half mark of 50% is no longer but you get either a 40% or 60% rather than a 1-10 scale which gives you more in the 10% ranges.

So if you feel that you are a 7 out of 10 you are at 70% but in the 1-5 scale if you feel you are a 3 you are only 60% but lets say you are a 4 now you are an 80%

I really don't like that all sites have gone into this 1-5 rating system, its not a good thing and I understand how half ratings may be harder to calculate but if
I'm asked to do a review about something 1-10 is the only way I can rate.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018, 03:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

same for me.
I think 0-10 would be the minimum to have a representation of feelings. Or by adding half point on a 0-5 system.
The rating system and comments on a web site are very important for me because it's a way for the community to directly participate to the website.
Forum is not really the same. Even if we add reviews in forum section, it will be lost somewhere in the next months. On a review page on the main site, the reviews would be a real enrichment of the site for many years.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018, 05:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When it comes to the film itself I’m with Ebert. Thumbs up or thumbs down. The reason being, you’re going to either see it or not so the question is “This movie was made for a certain set of people, should they see it?” That’s it.

However when it’s a specific LD...an LD is just a shadow of the film itself so there are many grey areas that may influence the collector. Different people collect LD for certain reasons. Some people just want every version of a particular film irrespective of quality so in that way ANY Laser release is a 10/10.

I like “first prints” of anime. Obviously this pretty much means OVAs made during the LD era. Even though Giant Robo isn’t that great on LD I still want them all for the same reason that a Spider-Man fan wants Amazing Fantasy #15. How to I “rate” all the LDs in the Giant Robo series? I don’t. I want them all.

Then there is stuff like Unico. I have both LDs of Unico and the Isle of Magic and they pretty much suck. This was a theatrical film so there’s nothing too significant about the LD. I’d recommend the Blu-ray.

Then there is Goldeneye which is an awful terrible piece of crap movie but is probably the single best LD I own. What do I rate that?

Then there are those great JP editions of European films that have only Japanese subs and original French/German/Spanish/whatever. These releases are *much* more useful to people who can understand the original language or at least the subs. Americans don’t collect a lot of these and it’s a bummer. Between the JP subs and the overall similarity of the Romance languages I can sorta figure out what’s going on in a simple movie but if it’s Fellini or whatever, forget it.

It’s complicated.

Feature idea: maybe if you want to know something about an LD you could have a feature that requests feedback from people who have it in their LDDB account. Members would have to opt in for that of course since it would be annoying to many people.

Last edited by signofzeta on 20 Dec 2018, 07:11, edited 2 times in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018, 05:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, same for me.
I like some disc only for very subjective reasons, and I review it with my heart.
I am also very interested by the reasons why other likes or dislikes a LD version.
That's why we could have an access next the movie to go to a page with all the reviews and comments of members about a movie.
Like that : (same site I talked about before)
https://www.legendra.com/rpg/fiche-rpg_ ... mmentaires

It would be very dynamic and interresting.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]