It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:01

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Test CD for laserdisc calibration, is it necessary?
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 09:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

A friend gave me a CLD D925 a few months back it had some crosstalk issues. I tried to fiddle with it making it worse it has since been sitting in a corner. Now i've acquired the Pioneer Reference Disc, A service remote is on the way. A friend has an oscilloscope.

The manual refers to a Sony YEDS-7 test CD is it necessary? it seems like its a bit tricky to hunt down. Will any cd work?
CLD 950

Post subject: Re: Test CD for laserdisc calibration, is it necessary?
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 14:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sethp3d wrote:
A friend gave me a CLD D925 a few months back it had some crosstalk issues. I tried to fiddle with it making it worse it has since been sitting in a corner. Now i've acquired the Pioneer Reference Disc, A service remote is on the way. A friend has an oscilloscope.

The manual refers to a Sony YEDS-7 test CD is it necessary? it seems like its a bit tricky to hunt down. Will any cd work?

Crosstalk is generally tilt I believe, should be able to do it with trial and error and no scope.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 14:50 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

pbiancardi wrote:
sethp3d wrote:

Crosstalk is generally tilt I believe, should be able to do it with trial and error and no scope.

Cool, then I don't have to bug my friend! I feel like a jerk schlepping equipment to his place. Just need to await the service remote! :)
CLD 950

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 15:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you use a scope there is no trial and error.
If you don't have the test disc and scope then yet its trial and error, but too much and bang your laser is dead Jim.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 16:05 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
If you use a scope there is no trial and error.
If you don't have the test disc and scope then yet its trial and error, but too much and bang your laser is dead Jim.

Are you referring to the test Laserdisc or the test CD? (I have the test Laserdisc) :)
CLD 950

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 18:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I am referring to any test disc.
If you have disc and scope there is no trial and error when adjusting anything.

If you do not have disc then you must take your chance and hope you make the correct adjustments for all.

Sometimes you can adjust to make this work but that won't now or anymore so then you are adjusting all the time.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 21:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
I am referring to any test disc.
If you have disc and scope there is no trial and error when adjusting anything.

If you do not have disc then you must take your chance and hope you make the correct adjustments for all.

Sometimes you can adjust to make this work but that won't now or anymore so then you are adjusting all the time.

If you ask the experts they will tell you how to adjust tilt and it isn't with a test disc and a scope, it's with a small adjustments and a movie playing.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 17:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pbiancardi wrote:
If you ask the experts they will tell you how to adjust tilt and it isn't with a test disc and a scope, it's with a small adjustments and a movie playing.

This is wrong, but if it works for you when you tweek players then good for you :thumbup:

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 00:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:

This is wrong, but if it works for you when you tweek players then good for you :thumbup:

All I can say is I stood next to the most respected LD repair tech there is and asked how he adjusted tilt (presuming I would be told a test disc and scope) and I was shown a copy of GoldenEye so take that as you will.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 02:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Take this for what its worth.

I had a player that didn't play one disc once, I adjusted the focus to play that disc and then it wouldn't play many other discs that it did in the past.
Luckily I kept note of where it was and put it back so I only had 1 disc that didn't play out of 400.

I guess my mistake was not owning Goldeneye.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 02:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
Take this for what its worth.

I had a player that didn't play one disc once, I adjusted the focus to play that disc and then it wouldn't play many other discs that it did in the past.
Luckily I kept note of where it was and put it back so I only had 1 disc that didn't play out of 400.

I guess my mistake was not owning Goldeneye.

I still don't know what your issue is with me?

You are talking focus I am talking tilt, these are obviously two very different things.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 03:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just trying to clarify if a person has a test disc and scope then you get the issues fixed spot on, no guessing.
Just like getting your tires balanced, there is no guessing unless you are doing this in your garage with no test equipment.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 11:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
Just trying to clarify if a person has a test disc and scope then you get the issues fixed spot on, no guessing.
Just like getting your tires balanced, there is no guessing unless you are doing this in your garage with no test equipment.

And I'm telling you that you can adjust TILT (NOT FOCUS) with a disc not a scope. It's not guessing, you can see the crosstalk on the screen and see when it disappears. You cannot take your bad experience guessing on FOCUS and apply it to TILT they are two completely different adjustments.

I've also told you that I know this not only from personal experience but also from being told by Kurtis Bahr in person. Apparently this is not enough for you though so whatever I guess no point in trying to help anyone here.....

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 12:50 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

pbiancardi wrote:
rein-o wrote:

And I'm telling you that you can adjust TILT (NOT FOCUS) with a disc not a scope. It's not guessing, you can see the crosstalk on the screen and see when it disappears. You cannot take your bad experience guessing on FOCUS and apply it to TILT they are two completely different adjustments.

I've also told you that I know this not only from personal experience but also from being told by Kurtis Bahr in person. Apparently this is not enough for you though so whatever I guess no point in trying to help anyone here.....

I placed an order for a service remote today. I'll get back when it arrives :)
CLD 950

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 14:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sethp3d wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:
rein-o wrote:

I placed an order for a service remote today. I'll get back when it arrives :)

That would have been the perfect gift!!!! Check your FB PM, you don't need service remote or test disc, this dude has a personal ax to grind with me for some unknown reason.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 15:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pbiancardi wrote:
rein-o wrote:

And I'm telling you....

The real issue is that while you can adjust stuff doing it one way, the way to get it exact is by doing it with test discs and specs.

Is this the only way, no, but its the best way.

If you don't have the test disc and scope you can always use Goldeneye.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 04:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sethp3d wrote:

If you've already "fiddled with it" then depending on what you did I'm thinking there's a good chance more than just one thing might need setting back correctly??

If so having a scope and running through the alignment procedure in the service manual might be a good idea just to check everything over? (Well at least the adjustment for any pot you fiddled with anyway.)

I'm not expert on this but as far as I know, where the test CD is called for that a standard audio CD will work for those adjustments in the alignment procedure (proper pressed one not burnt).

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 09:01 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

audioboyz1973 wrote:
sethp3d wrote:

If you've already "fiddled with it" then depending on what you did I'm thinking there's a good chance more than just one thing might need setting back correctly??

If so having a scope and running through the alignment procedure in the service manual might be a good idea just to check everything over? (Well at least the adjustment for any pot you fiddled with anyway.)

I'm not expert on this but as far as I know, where the test CD is called for that a standard audio CD will work for those adjustments in the alignment procedure (proper pressed one not burnt).

Yep I fiddled with the tilt while connected to a DVR -> DVDO -> Projector
I don't think that is the ideal chain to fix crosstalk

Yesterday I Hooked it up to a CRT, centered the tilt adjustment pot for side A and side B
Then I played a disc and adjusted tilt slightly for side A and the image is perfect when it comes to crosstalk
I got side B better but not perfect. It's as if adjusting the tilt for side B would need another quarter turn.

So the eager me probably did touch the wrong pot at some point during my first fiddle-session a couple of months ago.
So after the holidays I'll have to schlepp the LD player to my friends house and use his scope.

I used the pioneer test disc and a CLV criterion with color bars to do the adjustments. The color bars are usually at the very end of the disc where CLV crosstalk was at its worst.

I ran the same test disc on my 950 single sided player with zero crosstalk.
CLD 950

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 15:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Correct CRTs are the best to do your adjustments.
All the techs use a 13 inch as it works just fine for adjustments.
Good luck on getting it back to working :thumbup:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 23:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You want to turn off all digital processing to adjust any visual setting for crosstalk, I use 19” analog TV’s for all adjustments.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next