It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:44

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-3080] Control Drawer Repair
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 17:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi all,

I just acquired a CLD-3080 which I am loving so far (even next to my CLD-99). This one has the common broken latch issue with the control drawer. I was wondering if anyone here has found a reasonable solution for repair?

The best solution I've thought of so far is to remove the spring that keeps the drawer open and applying a thin strip of double-sided tape to keep it closed. I won't be using this drawer since I have a remote, but I hate to have to disassemble the player to get to the spring.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: CLD-3080 Control Drawer Repair
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 07:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well.... I don’t own a 3080 but I’ve always admired it in my years selling players. And if I owned one, I would just attempt to repair the door by somehow fabricating a replacement part in question from scratch.

Not sure what your skill sets are but it appears many of us on this forum are also model builders so making something from Plastruct is probably doable. If you can remove the broken part and study it’s shape and overall construction, anything is possible.

I would encourage that more than trying to permanently seal the door as I’m sure if you really love this player you’d want it back to 100% working order.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 17:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i have ZERO experience with this model, but here's an idea;

if you can't repair the latching mechanism, you can remove that spring, as you mentioned,
plus removing the control panel completely from it's cavity,
and, if there is a flat surface underneath, -as i suspect there might be- then you can cover it in black SCOTCH PVC tape,
-making sure it is applied SOOTH and UNIFORM- and, when reassembled, i assume that ought to give you friction enough
to be able to pull out or push-in the control tray, and have it stay firmly in place.

then again, it probably isn't terribly hard at all to find or make a functional replacement for that original broken latch...

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 19:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Could also use 2 magnets, or 1 magnet and a piece of thin metal.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 03:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I bought a 3080 with a good drawer years ago for parts for the 97 and I have one with a broken latch. Don't want to work the drawer too many times as it will probably break.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 04:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I just did some research and found what appears to be the part that keeps going bad.....

The part number is VXA1365 and called a "slide latch assembly". Based on the image above, this appears to be a generic door latch that can be found on a lot of older TV's that had the push in latch for doors that hid control buttons (my old Mitsubishi, CS-2655R, CRT had this style switch). I am not sure if they are all of the same size but if they are you would probably just need to make a simple swap to get your door working again.

I can't seem to find any resource on the web to purchase these switches but I'm sure if you visit a TV repair shop that has a lot of broken TV's laying around you could salvage a switch from it. Also, I have seen in the many years of selling AV gear that this particular latch design always seems to fail over time (although the one on my Mits TV was good to the end) so it would be a good idea to pick up a number of spares to ensure you can keep fixing it (or just fix the door and limit how many times you open it).

Update >>>>>

Well, I found something that works just like the VXA1365 but I'm not sure if the size is correct.

https://kpcomponents.co/products/cd-player-door-latch
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-Latch-Doo ... 1889945368

You could contact the sellers to see about getting dimensions but you'll still have to open up the 3080 to measure the one in there to see if it's a match.

Last edited by ldfan on 12 Dec 2018, 05:02, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 04:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for all the replies. I took the bonnet off the player to take a look inside. Getting to the drawer is requires a significant amount of disassembly, which in this case is high risk for low reward. I'm enjoying this player too much right now to dive that deep in and risk damaging something that actually affects playback. I'd replace the grease (looks rough) and oil at the same time.

I realized that I overlooked the most simple solution of applying a piece of tape (length wise) along the bottom where the drawer meets the chassis. This holds it shut and is not visible. It looks great now! I'll keep an eye out for something that looks like that latch though. If I couldn't find it, I think tasuke's or rein-o's suggestions are worth a try.

While I was inside, I noticed that the player was probably not kept in a climate controlled environment. There were a few spots of rust on the inside of the bonnet to which I sanded and applied a thin layer of silicone grease to. The foam insulators on the sides that cover the AUDB and HDTV were very dry rotted and began to crumble. Can these be removed safely or do I need to find a replacement?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 04:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I posted that before I saw your update ldfan. I'll reach out to these sellers. Thanks for finding those. If they seem like a reasonable size, I might reconsider the disassembly.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 07:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well good luck in whatever you decide. :)

I studied more of the schematics and it does look a bit challenging to get to the draw but I think you can still minimize how much you need to remove from the player to reach it. If you look @ the service manual on page 11 (the pdf page number), it appears you may be able to reach it by just removing the board just above the draw (as well as the boards above that one) and still keep the mechanism intact. If that is possible, it's a straight shot to the bad part.

Here is the link to the service manual....

http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pion ... /CLD-3080/

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 15:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

CD players on some radios have that part too.
So one can pickup a cheap radio, but if its too hard to replace its not worth the risk.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 17:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ldfan wrote:

Here is the link to the service manual....

http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pion ... /CLD-3080/

got to admit... that is a pretty over-engineered design.
guess that's why it seemed to be on the U.S. market for only about a year, if even that long...

Last edited by tasuke on 11 Dec 2018, 17:17, edited 2 times in total. _________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 17:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
,..... but if its too hard to replace its not worth the risk.

Very true.

There will always be some risk so I always try to study the situation first before making any attempt. If only removing the boards would be required, I myself would feel comfortable with that since I would just need to take pics as I went about it to ensure cables get plugged back in the same way they came out.

The problem for me would be if any mechanical parts need to be removed and I would definitely be hesitant due to screwing up any alignment related adjustments.

tasuke wrote:

got to admit... that is a pretty over-engineered design.
guess that's why it seemed to be on the U.S. market for only about a year, if even that long...

Actually, it was normal for Pioneer to replace most of their models every year from about the time of 1988 (CLD-3030) to about 1995 (CLD-D704) from what I remember. Before and after that time period, then one can see models stay beyond a year because I think demand for the product was not where it needed to be to sustain constant model changes (88 to 95 was pretty much a period of growth for the LD format).

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 01:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was watching https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/23330/75 ... y-Slickers last night and severe cross talk occurred towards the end (~40 minutes) on side A and B. Side A was struggling with tracking (I think). I checked the disc placed against another to make sure there wasn't any sort of visible warping.

I popped it in my CLD-99 and the the severe crosstalk remained. Certainly made me panic as it was only the second disc I played in the 3080! I had cleaned caked on dust off the lens yesterday while I had it open (gently with no alcohol and a chamois swab) and thought I had caused damage or misalignment.

I think it is safe to say now that this image blows my CLD-99 out of the water. It might be personal preference and alignment at play though.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 02:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Can't say what it is but I had a disc once that looked perfect but had crosstalk like what you have described.

That's more of a mastering flaw.

This is one of the reasons now to own more than one player and double check your stuff before anybody starts tweeking pots on the lasers.
You may be adjusting and not need to or adjusting for a really bad disc that is gone beyond our wildest dreams.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 03:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I had recent issues with severe crosstalk and tracking errors on the Criterion Robinson Crusoe on Mars (CAV) and The Substitute (CLV). Both appear to be mastering issues as all my players had issues playing through them. It happens on occasion and that’s the way it goes. Good thing I was able to return them to the seller.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2020, 06:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ldfan wrote:
The part number is VXA1365 and called a "slide latch assembly".

If someone is looking for the same VXA1365, there's a brand new one on YAJ right now:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t764391515

Attachment:
i-img1200x900-1603858028axdnzs2027581.jpg
i-img1200x900-1603858028axdnzs2027581.jpg [ 78.17 KiB | Viewed 3705 times ]

Julien

Post subject: Re: [CLD-3080] Control Drawer Repair
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2020, 15:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm tempted, but I need to tear down my CLD-3080 first. It died on me, so no harm in disassembly at this point.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 04:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey everyone! I tackled the first part of this repair just now. I started by reading the manual, but quickly deviated from that.

First step was to power on the player and eject the drawer, then remove power.

Then, remove the top right board (looking at the front of the player).

After the top board is out, you need to remove the side board underneath. After removing this board, you can remove 3 screws on the bottom board to loosen that one.

From here, the back panel should be removed (it slides out of the way, not fully removable because of power cord construction).

Final step is to wiggle the bottom board out while paying attention to tight cables (there will be multiple)

After this, you can reach the assembly while pulling on the boards. It's a mess.

There are two screws on the top of the assembly to remove and two on the bottom of the chassis. Remove these and the spring will release as well.

For me, I didn't pull the whole assembly, on the end with the rod and the receiver part of the clip.

This whole process took about 15 minutes. I'm sure it will be bad putting it all back together, but not a bad experience so far. I'll throw in some photos here.

Drawer Mechanism

Drawer Mechanism 2

Boards

Back of Player

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 06:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for the posting.

Did you get the original latch that Pioneer makes or did you find a comparable substitute? I still wouldn't mind obtaining a 3080 if and when the opportunity presents itself.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 14:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I ordered a replacements from a couple different places. The eBay link in this thread still had one there. I also found one on Amazon. The plan is to receive both in, then I'll do a best of breed and figure out what works best. More info to come.

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]