It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 19:49




 Page 1 of 3 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 08:58 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2015, 01:43
Posts: 480
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 31 times
My TV is dying... 4 years for a TV was too short in my opinon... Thanks Sony.
Thin colored vertical lines appeared 2 weeks ago.
I will never buy again sony screen, even if the rending is good, quality of material is so poor...

Now I'm thinking of two screens to buy in the future. Could you help me to decide ?

KURO 500 - Plasma -50 inch- Pioneer
+ best picture (color, contrast, luminosity) ?
+ good quality of production ?
+ cheaper than a 4k screen (around 100.000 yens today)
- plasma has dithering effect ?
- Watts consumption ? (400W !)
- 2008 year screen (may be soon broken ?)
- Plasma screens have burns, luminosity decreasing with age ?
- limited to 1080p.
- + others ?

LGB8 - OLED -55 inch - LG
+ They say it is really really good ?
+ I'm ready for 4K. (CXUHD, lumagen 2144)
+ I can get a warranty because I buy it new.
- More expensive than a KURO. (around twice)
- LG is not Pioneer. I'm afraid to get a dead screen in the next 5 years, like my actual sony...
- + others ?
_________________
LD-X1 (NTSC)
LD-V4300D (PAL/NTSC)
CLD-959 (NTSC)
CXUHD (DVD/BD/UHD/SACD)
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 10:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 03 Oct 2003, 10:06
Posts: 630
Location: at home :p
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 11 times
I have a kuro plasma since 2008 (last model build, european version), and there are no burn ins.
You'll have to check used screen with caution.
Also check for red tint problem and bad pixels.
Some people also complain about noise made by plasma when switched on.
Check if you are fine with it in a quiet environment.

Yes I think it's a disadvantage that you are maxed out @ 1080p in this day and age.
Maybe 4k screen better in the long term, if new screens have quality to last a long time.
But it seems everything is trying to be as cheap as possible and obsolescent quickly.
Good luck finding a new screen!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 10:50 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2015, 01:43
Posts: 480
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 31 times
thank you very much for your advices !
Problem is that I can't check used model. Only available on internet...
_________________
LD-X1 (NTSC)
LD-V4300D (PAL/NTSC)
CLD-959 (NTSC)
CXUHD (DVD/BD/UHD/SACD)
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 13:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 641
Location: United States
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 28 times
I can't say I'd recommend buying a used display on the internet. Between not being able to inspect it yourself and risk of transport. I always find displays close enough to drive to, inspect, pick up and transport home.


Last edited by gypsy on 30 Dec 2018, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 18:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 10:23
Posts: 1558
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Out of these I'd easily pick the B8, but if I were you I'd honestly look into the Panasonic OLEDs too. Despite not supporting Dolby Vision and having less HDMI 2.0B appliant inputs, they certainly offer a more accurate and more stable image. They are almost good enough for reference viewing (though not for critical color grading). The FZ800, as we call it in Europe, is clearly worth the extra money imho over the LG.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 21:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 5632
Location: United States
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 100 times
The way electronics are now I feel they don't last as long.

Only option I can offer is the cheaper one if it dies fast or if you get the more expensive of the ones you are looking at look into getting it fixed.

Sony has always been an issue, but you could possibly look into a part to replace??? Sometimes this is an easy fix for a board or something on newer sets.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 23:02 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 2998
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 40 times
I went from Kuro to Oled due to 4K. Oled is a worthy successor but Kuro beats it in certain areas.

- motion on Kuro is worlds ahead of anything oled or lcd. I miss it dearly. I have the Sony Oled which supposedly has the best processing/motion among Oleds but it still hurts my head on pans anything fast.

- kuro is a lot more transparent. You can disable a ton on Sony but it still does a ton of processing. I could get very close to pure pass through on Kuro (my Kuro was a monitor, not a tv). Dithering is a lot more annoying on Sony Oled.

- hi vision ld looks horrendus on 4K oled. I don’t know if because hi vision doesn’t scale well or Sony dithering fs it up. This goes in hand with the above one I think. Luckly sd lds looks good (but better on Kuro).

- kuro warms up your room in winter months which helps on heat bill but hurts electric.

On everything else Oled beats Kuro but only mildly. The only area oled has big domination over Kuro is on/off contrast. Only if the entire or large areas on the screen is black. Greys and shadow detail, Kuro hold its own.

Perhaps another area for oled is peak white. Kuro is also technically hdr. It goes well above 100 nits (something like 130 nits) which qualifies it as an hdr display. I measure my Sony oled at 730 nits on %5 peak white pattern. This is a big improvement but still far away from 4000 nits which the films are graded at.

If you want 4K I think the answer is an easy one.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 23:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 10:23
Posts: 1558
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 21 times
HDR consists of so much more than just the light output. The entire EOTF is completely different from that of SDR, which on fixed pixel displays emulates the way CRT monitors operates and that is also how the Kuros operates. Also, AFAIK the Kuro is bound to BT.709 and BT.601.

Very few displays are limited to sub 100cd/m² light output from my experience. Certain Grade1 CRT monitors have a maximum light output of 70-80cd/m² (which is tolerable by the EBU standards). Guess it can also occur on very old plasmas if we're talking consumer grade products but I'm not completely sure I've seen it.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 23:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 3513
Location: United States
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 137 times
I’ve only seen the Kuro in action but I was very impressed. If you can just walk into a place and buy one knowing it works and get it home yourself...as an LD fan that’s pretty attractive. Outside of LD it’s a relic of course and it’s not for watching talent shows or sports on. Conserve the hours.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 00:06 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2015, 01:43
Posts: 480
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 31 times
rein-o wrote:
The way electronics are now I feel they don't last as long.

Only option I can offer is the cheaper one if it dies fast or if you get the more expensive of the ones you are looking at look into getting it fixed.

Sony has always been an issue, but you could possibly look into a part to replace??? Sometimes this is an easy fix for a board or something on newer sets.


I don't want to try to repare it for now, because if I loose my screen, I will have nothing for the next months to see movies...^^
After buying a new one I will try to fix it myself. For now Sony told me it could cost between 25000 yens and 80000 yens to repare it. Then I prefer buy a new screen.

Thank you everyone for your advices !
- I will wait for 6 month for gather money.
- If, during these 6 month I can find a very good condition Kuro for less than 100.000 yens, and if I can check it myself (not on internet), I will take it.
- else, I will take a new screen. I will search about Panasonic also, thank you nissling. Substance, if you says that OLED is not a good idea for dithering, LCD would be better ? I am also concerned about burning on OLED, because hald of my movies are in 4/3 size...
_________________
LD-X1 (NTSC)
LD-V4300D (PAL/NTSC)
CLD-959 (NTSC)
CXUHD (DVD/BD/UHD/SACD)
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 00:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 1332
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 43 times
Have you thought about getting into projection Mimi? That's what I'd do if I lost my CRT.
_________________
Sony MDP-650, Sony MDP-355GX, Sony KVHR M36, DVDO VP-50
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 00:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 1332
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 43 times
substance wrote:
I went from Kuro to Oled due to 4K. Oled is a worthy successor but Kuro beats it in certain areas.

- motion on Kuro is worlds ahead of anything oled or lcd. I miss it dearly. I have the Sony Oled which supposedly has the best processing/motion among Oleds but it still hurts my head on pans anything fast.


And a good CRT is worlds ahead of a Kuro plasma. This is exactly what I get with all modern displays, that head hurting, jarring effect on pans. Give me CRT or give me death!
_________________
Sony MDP-650, Sony MDP-355GX, Sony KVHR M36, DVDO VP-50
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 01:39 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2015, 01:43
Posts: 480
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 31 times
forper wrote:
Have you thought about getting into projection Mimi? That's what I'd do if I lost my CRT.


Yes, I thought about it, but, I clearly don't have enough place for now...
And CRT screen are too small for me...
_________________
LD-X1 (NTSC)
LD-V4300D (PAL/NTSC)
CLD-959 (NTSC)
CXUHD (DVD/BD/UHD/SACD)
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 01:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2012, 10:13
Posts: 817
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times
Overall: OLED/Kuro>>>>>>>>>> CRT.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 03:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 641
Location: United States
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 28 times
I'm just here for the Forper vs alien battles.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 06:39 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 2998
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 40 times
nissling wrote:
HDR consists of so much more than just the light output. The entire EOTF is completely different from that of SDR, which on fixed pixel displays emulates the way CRT monitors operates and that is also how the Kuros operates. Also, AFAIK the Kuro is bound to BT.709 and BT.601.

Very few displays are limited to sub 100cd/m² light output from my experience. Certain Grade1 CRT monitors have a maximum light output of 70-80cd/m² (which is tolerable by the EBU standards). Guess it can also occur on very old plasmas if we're talking consumer grade products but I'm not completely sure I've seen it.



Clearly.....you would need an hdr to sdr conversion. On high end setups hdr is converted to sdr to defeat the internal tone mapping of the tvs. The container would be bt.709 but the tone mapped version of the 2020 with hdr.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 06:44 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 2998
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 40 times
forper wrote:
substance wrote:
I went from Kuro to Oled due to 4K. Oled is a worthy successor but Kuro beats it in certain areas.

- motion on Kuro is worlds ahead of anything oled or lcd. I miss it dearly. I have the Sony Oled which supposedly has the best processing/motion among Oleds but it still hurts my head on pans anything fast.


And a good CRT is worlds ahead of a Kuro plasma. This is exactly what I get with all modern displays, that head hurting, jarring effect on pans. Give me CRT or give me death!



Crts top at 36” max. That is a bigger compromise than I can tolerate. This makes all of crts advantages null.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 06:50 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 2998
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 40 times
mimylovesjapan wrote:
rein-o wrote:
The way electronics are now I feel they don't last as long.

Only option I can offer is the cheaper one if it dies fast or if you get the more expensive of the ones you are looking at look into getting it fixed.

Sony has always been an issue, but you could possibly look into a part to replace??? Sometimes this is an easy fix for a board or something on newer sets.


I don't want to try to repare it for now, because if I loose my screen, I will have nothing for the next months to see movies...^^
After buying a new one I will try to fix it myself. For now Sony told me it could cost between 25000 yens and 80000 yens to repare it. Then I prefer buy a new screen.

Thank you everyone for your advices !
- I will wait for 6 month for gather money.
- If, during these 6 month I can find a very good condition Kuro for less than 100.000 yens, and if I can check it myself (not on internet), I will take it.
- else, I will take a new screen. I will search about Panasonic also, thank you nissling. Substance, if you says that OLED is not a good idea for dithering, LCD would be better ? I am also concerned about burning on OLED, because hald of my movies are in 4/3 size...



Oleds aren’t true 10 bit displays. To make the illusion they do dithering and other tricks. Some do it better some do worse. On modern material like bluray, 4k etc. it’s unnoticeable. On old stuff, it’s possible only I see it. I have yet to see anyone who is more critical than me on video.

Pros are way too many. Save up your money and get an Oled. You can fix dithering with Lumagen(and many other things).
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 07:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 1332
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 43 times
substance wrote:


Crts top at 36” max. That is a bigger compromise than I can tolerate. This makes all of crts advantages null.


Just sit closer
_________________
Sony MDP-650, Sony MDP-355GX, Sony KVHR M36, DVDO VP-50
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My TV is dying. New screen : KURO or LGB8 ?
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 07:51 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2015, 01:43
Posts: 480
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 31 times
substance wrote:

Oleds aren’t true 10 bit displays. To make the illusion they do dithering and other tricks. Some do it better some do worse. On modern material like bluray, 4k etc. it’s unnoticeable. On old stuff, it’s possible only I see it. I have yet to see anyone who is more critical than me on video.

Pros are way too many. Save up your money and get an Oled. You can fix dithering with Lumagen(and many other things).


OK ! Thank you substance for your advice !
_________________
LD-X1 (NTSC)
LD-V4300D (PAL/NTSC)
CLD-959 (NTSC)
CXUHD (DVD/BD/UHD/SACD)
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: