It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:50

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sony MDP 650D
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2019, 17:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Afternoon,

Wondering if someone could advise on realigning the tray for the MDP 650D

When I first got the unit and powered it up the draw automatically ejected. When loading a disc it made noises but the laser bed didn't move and, after a short pause, the tray ejected without instruction.

On this forum I found a similar issue where someone had worked out that it was a drive belt (but that was back in 2013 and didn't think posting there would result in a response).

Before ordering a replacement I trimmed a similar sized elastic band just to test and put it in place. It worked . . . ish. The draw was drawn back in and the laser bed rose to read the disc. The problem being that the tray was still a good 3/4 of an inch outside of the unit.

I've ordered a multipack of square belts to replace my dodgy test band but I still need to work out how to get the tray to fully retract.

Is it a case of trial and error or is there a way of aligning the (4?) gears without dismantling the unit over and over again?

Time and mindless repetition isn't so much the issue, more the plastic this unit's casement and fixings are made from. It is very brittle. Heard several screw anchors creak/crack when re-tightening the lid and a couple of clips have already snapped that help secure the plate the clamp is attached to.

I haven't yet gone so far as to remove the tray completely, which I imagine will be required to align the gears, so if that's something someone knows an easy way to do, those instructions would also be gratefully received

As an edit, I've removed a narrow bar running across the unit just behind the front which has allowed for the tray to be extracted far enough so that the gearing no longer interacts with it. Would this be sufficient when aligning the gears?

The black detritus on the cloth are some of the pieces of plastic I've either found floating around the unit or have snapped due to handling.

Hope someone can assist

Regards

Ash

Attachments:
Sony MDP 650D.jpg
Sony MDP 650D.jpg [ 121.31 KiB | Viewed 4105 times ]

Last edited by ashgcg on 27 Jan 2019, 18:44, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Sony MDP 650D
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2019, 17:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Have you taken a look at the service manual? The one for MDP-650D isn't uploaded here, but I do see that it is available for free online. It covers tray removal and gear alignment.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2019, 18:44 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Not yet found the Service Manual. Will give it a bit more attention now though.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2019, 19:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

cplusplus wrote:
Have you taken a look at the service manual? The one for MDP-650D isn't uploaded here, but I do see that it is available for free online. It covers tray removal and gear alignment.

Brilliant. Whether the unit actually plays or not I can't say yet (will wait for correct belt) but, having found the Service Manual I appear to have re-aligned the gears. Was jittery (using an elastic band to test) but the tray, with a little assistance, fully retracted and the laser bed rose and sought a reading.

Thank you. Seems obvious but sometimes you just need a tug in the right direction.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 11:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

trays and doors are constant issues with Sonys, at least the lasers seem overall more solid than Pioneer. Good luck!!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 19:40 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

forper wrote:
trays and doors are constant issues with Sonys, at least the lasers seem overall more solid than Pioneer. Good luck!!

Thank you. Will test playability (if that's a word) when the correct belt arrives and get back to you all. Here's hoping.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 20:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:

I don't know about that.
I've had a 3070 since new that my entire family ran, I know I have personally watched over 1000 LDs, used to play CDs on endless loops
and it still works with no issues, only issue was old grease.

No need for tweaking or anything else.
Pioneer = The Gold Standard for LD players and collecting :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 01:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
forper wrote:

I don't know about that.
I've had a 3070 since new that my entire family ran, I know I have personally watched over 1000 LDs, used to play CDs on endless loops
and it still works with no issues, only issue was old grease.

No need for tweaking or anything else.
Pioneer = The Gold Standard for LD players and collecting :lol:

Well the tray and door designs on Sony's are typically more complex (and more beautiful imo) than Pioneers so you get more issues. I've never had a laser issue with a Sony but plenty with Pioneers. In contrast, no tray/belt issues with any Pioneers! Owned about a half dozen of each brand.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 14:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have never been impressed by Sony LD players. That issue aside, the biggest issues I’ve had with trays is getting the tray to engage with the gears squarely. Being off one tooth on either side throws everything out of whack.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 10:08 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Long short story.
Found a guy who's selling MDP-650D. It wasn't in use for ~10 years, sitting under his grandfather's Sony hi-fi set. The day before my visit, seller did check one of his LD's and it worked once (confirmed by video chat), but on the next day (when I was supposed to pick it up) he called me again and said the tray started to behave as it is described in the first post of this topic.

I still decided to come and look. The rubber belt seems ok. The issue is when the tray is loaded (with or WITHOUT disc), theres the sound like the motor is trying to do something but it can't make it so he keeps ejecting. In the current state it doesn't close the tray at all.

What is interesting - I tried an old Sony Playstation 1 technique of putting it on its side (without LD of course) and it helped. In this position I'm able to close the tray normally and see "NO DISC" warning. But I don't see the way to do the same WITH LD inside to check if it'll play it.

What do you think - is it the belt or a broken cogwheel?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 13:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Probably belt, even if the belts look OK it can still be worn out enough to case an issue.
And worn is not the right word, more of losing the strength and it loosens a little and doesn't grip as much.

If its cheap enough and you are willing to take the risk, its all up to you.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 19:22 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Well, he asks for it 70$ as is, but the condition is near mint with the remote.
Can anybody confirm whether this player plays PAL analogue sound LDs or not?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2019, 20:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

fortesquedaniel wrote:
Well, he asks for it 70$ as is, but the condition is near mint with the remote.
Can anybody confirm whether this player plays PAL analogue sound LDs or not?

It should say on the back sticker with model number.
Will only play one format, you can't hack it like a DVD.

According to http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/sony/sony_mdp-650d/sony_mdp-650d.htm
It plays both.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]