It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:12

Page 9 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many more years before physical media is dead?
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 17:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You could make a lot of HDMI cables with all the copper in that case. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 19:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My ultimate goal is to return to the true Luciferian worship
of LD and S-VHS only vídeo library.
Freeview tv channels are 1080i and weeks ago while watching i made a very good SVHS recording of "Baby Driver" (2017) and "Tomb raider" (2018) that shined later on the CRT

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 21:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

ertoili wrote:
My ultimate goal is to return to the true Luciferian worship
of LD and S-VHS only vídeo library.
Freeview tv channels are 1080i and weeks ago while watching i made a very good SVHS recording of "Baby Driver" (2017) and "Tomb raider" (2018) that shined later on the CRT

Do you mean you got a better picture on the VHS in respect to the original source or for whatever VHS is worth?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 09:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I know it is simply cassette addiction ! but with some highlights like the forever durability, the awesomeness of the format itself, the 420TVL of the S-VHS luma, the transcoding into analog stereo, re-recording option and finally the pendrive with the original 1080i mpeg-2 streaming will be damaged soon or later usually soon

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 14:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

To me vhs and durability seems like opposite terms but hey, maybe theres something I don't know.
However I'm curious to see how a digitally shot movie would look like on an analogue format

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 15:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i dunno... i have VHS ex-rentals that have seen who-knows-how-many passes that still play fine to this day,
20 years beyond the format's general market obsolescence. if that ain't "Durability" then i'm not at all sure what actually is.

heaven knows, i've had far, FAR fewer issues with rental Videocassettes than that of the Russian Roulette nightmare of rental DVDs...

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 15:21 
True fan
True fan

tasuke wrote:
heaven knows, i've had far, FAR fewer issues with rental Videocassettes than that of the Russian Roulette nightmare of rental DVDs...

Vhs was more durable because of its clamshell design. Give a 2 yeard old a vhs tape to put and then a dvd. Vhs will go in easily and start playing straight away. The dvd will fall under the tv cabinet, get scratched and be unplayable.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 16:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

As someone who has a five year old and also worked at a video store during their peak in the 90s I’d say it’s a toss up.

I’ve pulled a lot of tapes out of VCRs. I’ve wound a lot of them back into their shells. Nobody ever got a DVD stuck in a DVD player like how VCRs would eat tapes. That’s the sort of thing people forget about nowadays when it’s all collectard academic theory and brag photography. When you’re running these things all day and so is everyone else lots of tapes get eaten. However there is a nice side to that in that when a tape gets creased and mangled you can cut out the bad portion and only lose running time. Clearly DVD doesn’t work that way. You have a tape that’s 30 years old? Who gives a crap? All that proves is that it isn’t HDDVD and it won’t melt in the box. If you play a LD/DVD for 30 years it will not degrade even one teeny bit but that tape will be garbage in a month or less. It won’t break in half, it will just develop more and more minor dropouts until it’s so stretched thin that it doesn’t grip the player exactly like it used to and one day it will get stuck in the player or break at the end of a rewind or something like that. I was the guy with scissors and tape at Video Watch trying to save our shelves of murdered tapes. I know all about the failure but also the ability to resurrect them somewhat after failure. If the tape was Tittie Slickers 2: The Search For the Golden Curlies, who care? It was a $7 tape. That copy of The Firm was $109.99 though and it got eaten on its FIRST RENTAL putting us $107.49 in the hole. Let’s see if we can fix it.

DVD will usually last basically forever as long as you don’t actively ruin it yourself. Yes, if you give a DVD to a toddler as if it were a toy it will he destroyed. I don’t think this is really an issue though. Toddlers can’t launch most DVD players due to their stupid useless menu systems so why would a kid be messing around with it? My five year old has understood how to operate the turntable in the living room (automatic) and LD for years but is only just now starting to figure out how to launch DVDs from the remote. In his life he has ruined one DVD and it was a long time ago. He knows how to handle the stuff by the edges or the hole in the center. He knows it goes back into the case. Adults who understand these things will also have a mostly trouble free time with DVD but if you have CDs on the floor of your car you’re hopeless and will never learn.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 17:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I never lost a VHS movie by a hit , i lost DVD movies entirely by a small accidental scratch.
You know you only need a small scratch by accident on certain part of the DVD surface and the whole content is ruined with no posible fix. Almost all the VHS tapes i have lost were very low grade and re-recorded hundreds of times during years, a defective VCR can also damage them before time.
I have +30 year old tapes (standard grade) with some sound wear but very good picture ,like digital you can récord the old content in a new pro-grade tape and it will last another 40.
Sorry but Netflix killed digital vídeo on physical disc, you have the same DVD mpeg-2 at 1080i on Freeview tv channels i like that

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 18:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I also have dozens of decades old VHS tapes that still work including the premier of Next Gen with the contest ad in it, most episodes of Max Headroom, dozens of fan subs. This doesn’t make the format reliable. I’ve still personally handled hundreds of broken tapes in my life and aside from the one ruined Loony Toons disc we have I’ve never lost a DVD.

I think if you’re careless VHS is great because you can leave the things laying all over outside of their cases and drop them and stuff. If you’re careful though DVD is massively massively more reliable and there is no signal deg ever, not even if played 100,000 times.

For kids the best is VHS but not because of durability. VHS is best for kids because all you have to do is shove the tape in there and with most TV/VCR combos that will turn everything on and play the movie to the end where it rewinds and then ejects. When DVD came out apparently they were so happy about not having to rewind anymore that they felt free to choke it with stupid menu crap that little kids and old people don’t understand.

I’d like to see the small single scratches that have ruined multiple DVDs of yours.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 20:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Not losing multiple DVDs but yes some i liked a lot.
DVDs are great , with only 12 of 13 months of delay after cinema premieres ,blockbusters right now are being broadcast on Freeview tv channels 1080i so i stopped buying them is the truth..they can be grabbed on DVD-R, BD-R, i like to do it on S-VHS tapes, try it, its a joy :)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 20:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Copying degradation and playback degradation maybe not the same. Playback quality and deg using a "High Grade" or even "Pro Grade" VHS tape is not as heavy people think; Stereo sound can go mono after ¿70 playbacks? ¿15 years? Picture light and sharpness remain 90℅ of the original quality for decades on a high density pro vhs

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 14:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i do indeed take ginger care of my optical media, but that hardly means most people out there do anything like the same.

i get a lot of DVDs second hand, and i also rent often from the regional public library network.

between the two of those sources alone, i cannot begin to tell you the mass quantity of fluky discs i've had to endure.

meanwhile, damn near every VHS cassette i've ever bothered with has played all the way through, usually without a single hitch.

DVD is the final, and ultimate SD home video medium... IF you take care of it.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 14:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

DVDs just do not survive library usage. I've even encountered BDs (which have pretty decent anti-scratch coating) that were roughed up enough to skip.

Zeta is right about VHS tapes. We all lived through it here but it depends how much you have seen. I've encountered tapes that were worn and had picture degradation but the biggest offender probably was the decks that develop problems and eat tapes. There are parts that can fail in LD/DVD/BD players but at least they don't take out a movie with them. In general I have no affinity for tapes. I have been transferring the few tapes I do have left with the JVC VCR/DVD recorder I mentioned getting awhile back.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 16:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
i do indeed take ginger care of my optical media, but that hardly means most people out there do anything like the same.

i get a lot of DVDs second hand, and i also rent often from the regional public library network.

between the two of those sources alone, i cannot begin to tell you the mass quantity of fluky discs i've had to endure.

meanwhile, damn near every VHS cassette i've ever bothered with has played all the way through, usually without a single hitch.

DVD is the final, and ultimate SD home video medium... IF you take care of it.

Why wouldn’t you? This idea that inevitably someone is going to manually ruin every DVD. It’s nonsense. Aside from the very rare occasional accidents only total slobs ruin their optical discs.

Library’s used to rent 35mm slides, 16mm prints, LPs, and even now many still loan out prints of paintings, litterally just paper...like the books they loan out. DVD is vastly more reliable than any of these formats but ITS the fragile one because it wasn’t until the DVD era that people started treating $20 movies like $0.20 newspapers.

When CDs first came out there was often a little educational blurb about the format in with the booklet. It would say “treat the compact disc as you would a photographic negative”. Ha! Who throws their negatives unprotected onto the floor of their car? Nobody. I’ve also bought hundreds of used LDs and never encountered one that was as f-up as every copy of Grand Theft Auto 3 or NBA Live ‘97 I’ve ever seen.

Used error, plain and simple. Priced so low nobody has any respect for it.

The disc goes in the case or in the player at all times. ALL TIMES. Never set the disc down on anything ever, and if you do...set it back side down onto a clean surface. Only hold them by the edges or the spindle hole. Don’t wear huge bejeweled rings when handling. Now...how is a DVD going to get scratched if you do that? “Well my friend is rough on things.” Send him a bill and never loan him anything again, he’s a slob. “Ex-rentals don’t play.” Thats because some slob ruined them before you got them. They are broken things, broken things don’t work. Don’t buy discs with scratches on them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fan of DVD. While I do have many DVDs I mainly just held my breath between LD and BluRay. It’s a format I dislike. However these arguments are too silly to not comment on. These people who seem to scratch so many discs...do you wear a helmet indoors to be safe? Does your by your bicycle have three wheels? How many dents are in your car? How often do you have to replace a window or a TV because you accidentally put something through it?

Can you believe there are people who can repair the tiniest watches? People who can write a bible verse on a grain of rice? People who can make a perfect five tier wedding cake? And then there are people who can’t not scratch their DVDs...the range of human experience is large.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2020, 17:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I learned the don't loan things out to people lesson pretty fast. Probably around 6th grade.

My comment on the library was mostly just to indicate that people are in fact awful when it comes to taking care of things, especially when they are free. Even when people damage it they just return it and the library isn't going to make an effort to pinpoint who did it. I swear I'm one of 10 or less people that reports anything as damaged when I return things. Of course I didn't damage them* but whoever did the deed did not report it so then it gets checked out in an unwatchable state.

*One time I checked something out and before I left noticed there is no way it was going to play. So I take it up to report it and the woman accuses me of having done the damage. This made so little sense to me for a lot of reasons. But she was in a pissy mood so I told her to check the time it was checked out at and just walked away. I never did see that particular person again at the help desk so I'm guessing I wasn't the only one she was awful to.

signofzeta wrote:
These people who seem to scratch so many discs...do you wear a helmet indoors to be safe? Does your by your bicycle have three wheels? How many dents are in your car? How often do you have to replace a window or a TV because you accidentally put something through it?

Can you believe there are people who can repair the tiniest watches? People who can write a bible verse on a grain of rice? People who can make a perfect five tier wedding cake? And then there are people who can’t not scratch their DVDs...the range of human experience is large.

I feel like there is a large overlap between people that scratch their discs/buy scratched discs and think disc rot is a real problem.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2020, 17:00 
True fan
True fan

Not that I've been keeping up with it but I heard the new Playstation 5 console will be available in two models. One with a disc drive and one without. Perhaps this is sonys way of slowly trying to kill off physical media? I'm sure the version without the disc drive will be more affordable.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2020, 17:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

odotb3 wrote:
Not that I've been keeping up with it but I heard the new Playstation 5 console will be available in two models. One with a disc drive and one without. Perhaps this is sonys way of slowly trying to kill off physical media? I'm sure the version without the disc drive will be more affordable.

This is happening. The rumor is a $100 price difference. I would bet on Sony and Microsoft getting rid of physical discs entirely after this generation.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2020, 17:47 
True fan
True fan

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. It very well may be the last gen for physical media if we have consoles being released without disc drives. I have friends who do a lot of PC gaming. I know they havent bought any physical copies of any games lately. Everythings done on steam now. Console are just catching up.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2020, 18:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yeah I saw their presentation. Mostly forgetable and the console looks like a wifi router, but to go back to the "digital edition" as they call it. The console might be cheaper, but it'll be more expensive in the long run because of the games and I think that is the goal for sony, getting more in the long run.

First, games on digital stores (especially on consoles) are more expensive than their physical counterpart. AAA games msrp, for exemple, are 70$(or even more for some) at launch but from experience, you can get them for 60 or even 50 in some places.

Also the fact that they get cheaper real quick, physical copies tend to drop to 40-30$ generally around 6 months after launch where as on digital stores, the game can retain its price for even a few years.
All of this plus the second hand market, where you can get really sweat deals

And to me, without the physical market, consoles lose the only adventage they still had over pc. That the game were yours and you could resell it, you could hand it to a friend and what not.
But with where this is going, I really can't see a single reason to get a console.

Page 9 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next