It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:28

Page 5 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many more years before physical media is dead?
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 03:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s a long game but it will probably work. If collectardation continues to spread the next generation will need to hoard stuff we today don’t even consider to be slightly scarce, like DVD. There will be MILLIONs of hard core maniax in 2035 so they can’t collect LD or NES games. There aren’t anywhere near enough of them.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 20:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I will buy physical media until they stop making it. I don't stream anything that I can get on media. I didn't watch Daredevil on Netflix until it came out on BD. Don't know why other than I'm old school. But I can say with 100% certainty, you will have to peel my physical media collection out of my cold dead hands.

LD: 5,912
DVD: 714
HDDVD: 3
BD: 1,204
UMD: 2
CED: 30
VHD: 18
CDV: 34
VSD: 6
CD: 1,918
DD: 12
BDA: 5
DVDA: 18
SACD: 19
MD: 1
DCC: 1
12": 212
7": 188
Cass: 34
R2R: 472

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 23:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

blam1 wrote:
But I can say with 100% certainty, you will have to peel my physical media collection out of my cold dead hands.

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019, 04:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can say with %99 certainty that nobody ever will.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2019, 08:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

LD: 300?
DVD: 250?
VHS: 10
CDV: 0 (1 on order)
CD: 1000?
SACD: 12
MD: 300?
DAT: 12
Cass: 20

Last edited by Anonymous on 17 Feb 2019, 09:29, edited 2 times in total. _________________
SONY MDP-355GX, DVDO iscan VP50, SONY KVHR-M36

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2019, 13:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

WOW and my wife thinks I have it bad with 300 LDs and about 100 CDs. Don't know how many DVDs but not many, possibly 100 or less.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 02:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good Day, Evening or Morning fellow enthusiasts,

How many more years indeed'

The following format and list of each is a rough estimate of what I have in my collection;

MINI DISC: 50
CD: 800+ AND COUNTING
LP: 6 AND COUNTING TURNTABLE IN THE PIPELINE.
SA CD: 25 AND COUNTING
LASERDISCS: 1000 AND COUNTING
DVD: 700 STOPPED BUYING & WILL ONLY PURCHASING: VOYAGER / DEEP SPACE NINE AS THESE ARE NOT BEING PRODUCED IN HI DEF MEDIA.
DVD AUDIO:3
DTS AUDIO: 3
BLU-RAY: 400 AND COUNTING ALTHOUGH i VERY RARELY PURCHASE SINCE I STARTED COLLECTING 4K TITLES.
4K HD: 30
MUSIC MEDIA PLAYER ON THE CARDS: IN ORDER TO DOWNLOAD 24 BIT STUDIO MASTERS.

I am hopeful that disc based media disc's will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future.
All things considered, I just want to cover all bases, & can see the benefits of having both hard and soft copies in ones collection..... Laserdisc's are always a good talking point thou :)

Kindest Regards to everyone

:wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 04:07 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Well Samsung just announced they are pulling out from 4K UHD. They will no longer produce any Bluray or 4K player. Here another nail on the coffin.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 06:26 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I thought that's in the US but still if Japan still has new players shouldn't we as well?
I rather buy stuff physically and would like more of course but don't have the room unless I get rid of stuff which I will do when I get my stuff but I've realized I mainly want to buy Criterion films on DVD and BD unless its Eva or music ones like Tarja's.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 09:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
I thought that's in the US but still if Japan still has new players shouldn't we as well?

Samsungs Korean

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 16:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
Well Samsung just announced they are pulling out from 4K UHD. They will no longer produce any Bluray or 4K player. Here another nail on the coffin.

I have read that, too.

I think that is not a wise choice. I like having Netflix and Amazon Prime at home but there is so much stuff out there and with Warner and Disney launching their
own streaming services, it will be more and more difficult to find particular films or series on Netflix or any other streaming platform. Plus, the video quality is so
superior on a Blu Ray disc to a Netflix video stream. This is is a joke. I only find a fraction of the stuff that interests me on Netflix.
I mostly watch Netflix or Amazon Prime because of their own series. Right now I am watching a show on Amazon called The Terror that is really good. But often when I
try to find a particular film it simply isn't there and the offer in Germany is much smaller than in the US.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 17:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yesterday Bruno Ganz died so I pulled out The American Friend, Wings of Desire, and Far Away, So Close! for a RIP memorial triple feature.

Does any service have all three of these movies? Any? I suppose Criterion might when they have their thing going again but still...I didn’t even bother to check because it’s faster to grab them off my shelf.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 17:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

confederate wrote:
substance wrote:

I have read that, too.

I think that is not a wise choice. I like having Netflix and Amazon Prime at home but there is so much stuff out there and with Warner and Disney launching their
own streaming services, it will be more and more difficult to find particular films or series on Netflix or any other streaming platform. Plus, the video quality is so
superior on a Blu Ray disc to a Netflix video stream. This is is a joke. I only find a fraction of the stuff that interests me on Netflix.
I mostly watch Netflix or Amazon Prime because of their own series. Right now I am watching a show on Amazon called The Terror that is really good. But often when I
try to find a particular film it simply isn't there and the offer in Germany is much smaller than in the US.

We went backwards from CD to mp3 in the 2000s. People chose the convenience of being able to download music fast. For the cost of a single CD album, you can sign up to a streaming plan for an entire month of unlimited music. Well now in the late 2010s, we get all this and the quality caught up with Tidal and HDtracks.

The same is happening in home movies. People choose inexpensive and convenient over quality. For less than the cost of a new release on BD, you get the entire Netflix library for a month. Eventually streaming will catch and exceed in quality but for now they are the mp3 of movies.

There is a high end streaming service called Kaleidescape. They have been around for a decade or so actually. You need to buy their hardware which are very expensive. They offer bit to bit copies of Bluray and UHD masters. Due to the size of these files, their players have 6 to 12tb hdds, you download the movie first and own it for life. A typical setup is a strato player for $4500 and encore server $4500-10000. You can have multiple strato players for each room. Encore in its highest configuration(24TB) can hold several hundred UHD movies. Sure it’s crazy expensive but all new stuff starts expensive and get cheaper in time.

There are also other options like having your own Plex server.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 18:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well the CD market isn't dead on places like ebay, so even if one gets caught in the cyberwave they will eventually realize and start buying the
titles they liked to begin with.

Also its hard, I was at a thrift store yesterday and all CDs were .50 cents each, I can't download for that price anyplace in this world unless its a free service,
and then I can sell it if I don't want it for 3 bucks and still make a profit and turn into the next amazon power seller.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 18:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:

We went backwards from CD to mp3 in the 2000s. People chose the convenience of being able to download music fast. For the cost of a single CD album, you can sign up to a streaming plan for an entire month of unlimited music. Well now in the late 2010s, we get all this and the quality caught up with Tidal and HDtracks.

The same is happening in home movies. People choose inexpensive and convenient over quality. For less than the cost of a new release on BD, you get the entire Netflix library for a month. Eventually streaming will catch and exceed in quality but for now they are the mp3 of movies.

There is a high end streaming service called Kaleidescape. They have been around for a decade or so actually. You need to buy their hardware which are very expensive. They offer bit to bit copies of Bluray and UHD masters. Due to the size of these files, their players have 6 to 12tb hdds, you download the movie first and own it for life. A typical setup is a strato player for $4500 and encore server $4500-10000. You can have multiple strato players for each room. Encore in its highest configuration(24TB) can hold several hundred UHD movies. Sure it’s crazy expensive but all new stuff starts expensive and get cheaper in time.

There are also other options like having your own Plex server.

Well, that was an interesting read. I have never heard of Kaleidescape. Well, I know for a fact but I won't be ever able to join them plus my wife would divorce me if I spent that amount of money on their hardware.

The 80s are the best period for me when it comes to audio quality. Vinyl records from that period often sound really great and the audio hardware from that decade is excellent, too ( Nakamichi tapedecks, etc. ).
Tidal is a nice thing to have ( I have a subscription ) but I still prefer buying the music I like on vinyl or CD or tape because to me it is an entirely different experience turing on my player and inserting a CD, for instance, then just opening the Tidal App on my PC and make click here and there.
Like I said, I always make digital copies of my DVDs, CDs, etc. You can get many many good CDs for 1 Euro or so. Only the rare MFSL stuff and some special editions are more expensive but I also want to have the booklet, artwork, etc. I simply like the experience of ordering something online or waiting for it to arrive in my postbox, especially if it comes from far away. A lot of stuff isn't even on Spotify or Tidal ( which I both have subscriptions of ).

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 00:36 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

forper wrote:
xtempo wrote:

Samsungs Korean

I know that. I should have said in Asia though I had forgotten if Korea is A or not. Isn't the biggest market Japan or is Asia in general?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 01:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Kaleidescape is the best in terms of picture and sound quality among all online services. You also get the supplemental materials for each movie and tv show as well. I believe they have a library of 14,000 movies and tv series. They also have a 300 disc 4k disc changer in their line up for physical media integration. You can stack multiple of these disc changers. They can serve to whole house via strato players and encore servers. The user interface is really really nice. I mean if you can afford a $20-30k setup, you can have instantaneous access to your film library whether its online purchases or dvd/bd/uhd via disc changers from any room and you can play different content in each. You don’t compromise on quality either. As for the prices for purchases, they are the same cost as other online services. If the bd disc you bought has download code, they accept those as well. So most of your Blu-ray disc with digital copies would already be included to your library for free. It’s just the upfront cost is expensive but that’s due to its niche market. They might introduce a mass market version for a lot less in the future. If you don’t care for multi room, you can also buy a strato 6tb for $2000 in the used market. Think of it like an expensive bd players. It can hold 50 uhd discs or 150 bd. You don’t need to keep your films in local drivers. All the films you own are kept in cloud for you even if you exceed your local space. Local hdd is for instant access only.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 08:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BBC take on streaming's externality:

How Streaming Music Could Be Harming the Planet

Julien

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 08:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:

They seem to have a rather bizarre idea that everyone buying vinyls and CDs are just going to throw them in the trash.

Now a point could be made for all those old beat-up records that nobody wants so they sit in flea markets for years, but there's a big distinction between people buying records now as collectors and intending to keep them in good condition, and people buying records then because it was the main format of choice and they would just buy every cheap record they could get their hands on just so they'd have something new to listen to.

Although I did salvage plastic bags full of CDs from the community trash bin a few years back so what do I know?

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 19:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have a positive observation. Although it is only my personal opinion, I really believe the studios figured out their home video disc market and who really (still) buys physical media. Since I made this thread (not long ago) there has been a drastic shift to older but bigger movies on the 4K disc front. The number of releases per week steeply declined from last year (which is concerning) but almost all new releases are film enthusiasts oriented. We get films like Alien, Hannibal(from Kino), Black Hawk Down, Backdraft, Hellboy, Batman 1989, Apocalypse Now. I am not saying they are great movies (most are) but they are all visually stunning films all movie and home theater enthusiast would like to see in the best presentation possible. It took years for these titles to get released on Blu-ray but now there are more of these than new films being released on 4K disc. They know average Joe Blow doesn’t care about 4K discs or anything disc at all but the only market for these is the guy who care about his video and audio. These guys want visually stunning films, not the sausage party (one of the early 4K releases). This might very well be the last milk attempt. As I said most new films skip on 4K and get Blu-ray release only. So I still think the days are numbered. I am literally double, triple and quadruple dipping on these films to see them on 4K. So far I haven’t been disappointed. They look absolutely fantastic.

Page 5 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next