It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 06:00

Page 18 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019, 17:22 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

firehorse_44 wrote:
Just viewed "The Man Who Would Be King" .....
And .... "Cyborg 2 : Glass Shadow"

Still spinning after all these years .....

I also watched cyborg 2 on laserdisc a few days ago.
Man, that movie sucks. But a young hot Angelina Jolie made the watch almost worthwile. Almost...

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019, 21:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hi forper, I rarely post here nowadays as I do not have much left to say but I have to say that this is a nice set up you have there ! The room looks expertfly arranged and I like the TV in the middle of the room.
Mine doesn't look as nearly as neat but I have good equipment at home so I am happy with what I have. I have a Nakimichi tape deck that I find sounds terrific with prerecorded tapes ( not all sound great but
I am finding more and more that sound really good ), a very good LD player and much more to play with at night after a long day at work.

Just watched The Color of Money on Blu-ray. Nice film with a great score. Paul Newman was terrific in it.

I nowadays tend to watch more and more films in 4K. After watching like the last five films in 4K ( including A Few Good Men and A Clear and Present Danger ) going back to Blu-ray is like going back from
Blu-ray to DVD. At first you might not notice a lot of difference but actually if you look closer you can see it is like night and day. When I watched A Few Good Men last night I could literally see Jack Nicholson's teeth
and the colours of the American flag were so vibrant with HDR10. I really love that they don't use tons of filters for their 4K releases which was the case for many Blu-ray films so far. The 4K releases I have
seen so far look really much more filmic, especially on a big screen ( I am using a Benq projector ). The picture is considerably sharper but on older films you also see grain more clearly, etc. I love it.
Blade Runner has never looked better. There are some amazing 4K releases out there that are a huge step forward compared to their Blu-ray counterparts. That does not mean I stopped watching DVDs or Laserdiscs. These formats came much earlier and are still fun to use. First I thought I wouldn't need 4K because Blu-ray already looks great but 4K is like a Porsche compared to a decent Volkswagen. Both are good cars, the Porsche is better.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 09:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

confederate wrote:
Hi forper, I rarely post here nowadays as I do not have much left to say but I have to say that this is a nice set up you have there ! The room looks expertfly arranged and I like the TV in the middle of the room.

Thank you. I was debating left or right wall and neither was perfect. so I just said f**k it, and put the TV in front of the window. It actually works well.

Quote:
Mine doesn't look as nearly as neat but I have good equipment at home so I am happy with what I have. I have a Nakimichi tape deck that I find sounds terrific with prerecorded tapes ( not all sound great but
I am finding more and more that sound really good ),

Yeah I read your posts on your Nakamichi. I got a Sony ES tape deck about a year ago. I was going to sell it on but more and more I like listening to my small pre-recorded tape selection. As you know well mastered ones have a smoothness and depth to them on good equipment that can't be described. I prefer listening to the tape of a few titles over the CD if I have both. I had never heard anything this good growing up. Sometimes when I play my tapes loud I feel like the guy at the end of Boogie Nights Marky Mark wants to rip off. My ultimate dream is always an '80s mansion, Nakamichi decks and Jessie's girl on a Sony Metal Master tape..

Quote:
a very good LD player and much more to play with at night after a long day at work.

That's cool. Stuff always save my life. Takes my mind out of real life and work b******t.

Quote:
First I thought I wouldn't need 4K because Blu-ray already looks great but 4K is like a Porsche compared to a decent Volkswagen. Both are good cars, the Porsche is better.

I already have too many hobbies and directions in my life and I'll leave the 4K to you and others here but sounds awesome!

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 09:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

btw my speakers are Sony SS-AL5 Mk IIs paired with a Sony TA-F3000 amp:

Here are the first version of these speakers paired with the TA-F5000, a lower powered but better built alternative:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 09:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good luck xtempo. you're always a cool guy around here. I hope you reach LD nirvana and change your situation. I have to fight every day to get mine. Worth it though to kick against the pricks and f***ers, the screwheads. Let's be dudes who stand up against the scum, the c**ts, the dogs, the filth AND the s**t. Here is...

Last edited by Anonymous on 08 Dec 2019, 08:01, edited 1 time in total. _________________
SONY MDP-355GX, DVDO iscan VP50, SONY KVHR-M36

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 22:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I know you are the SONY guy and I don't care too much about Sony stuff that is a really cool set.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 22:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Two of my favorite Sony products are this TV and my MZ-R90 Minidisc recorder. Both work almost perfectly despite being from 2004 and 1998. The only thing wrong with the XBR is one of the composite inputs is dead. The only thing with with the MD recorder is that the jog nob is iffy. Titling on it is terrible now but everything else is fine. The TV gets used nearly every day and usually for several hours since to me it seems like powering it up and down is probably the most stress if sees.

For LD it can’t be beat except maybe by its 4:3 brother which is some cases is more desirable. BRs also look amazing on it. Almost everything does really except for old game machines. I’d rather an SD CRT for those or something new enough to have HDMI output.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 23:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening to everyone.

It's always a pleasure to visit this site, we have our differences, alternate movie and musical favourites that grow in our respective catalogues each day, week and months that pass.

We share the same tech at the core and we can all relate to the Music and Movie pastime in some way, for all of the joys this brings.

Thursday evening I watched the following movie;

The picture and Dolby ATMOS sound quality transfer is excellent.
The sound was amazing and really drew the listener into the action and tension throughout.
It's one of those movies that you either love or dislike.

I wasn't going to purchase this after watching this on release in the theatres, only because I didn't find it exceptional however, on my second viewing experience and the fact that after many months the price had dropped to 1080 Blu-ray level was a bargain.

I liked this movie better the second time around.

Attachments:
th.jpg
th.jpg [ 15.73 KiB | Viewed 3625 times ]

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2019, 00:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Two of my favorite Sony products are this TV and my MZ-R90 Minidisc recorder. Both work almost perfectly despite being from 2004 and 1998. The only thing wrong with the XBR is one of the composite inputs is dead. The only thing with with the MD recorder is that the jog nob is iffy. Titling on it is terrible now but everything else is fine. The TV gets used nearly every day and usually for several hours since to me it seems like powering it up and down is probably the most stress if sees.

For LD it can’t be beat except maybe by its 4:3 brother which is some cases is more desirable. BRs also look amazing on it. Almost everything does really except for old game machines. I’d rather an SD CRT for those or something new enough to have HDMI output.

Absolutely love watching LD on my S1 hooked up to my XBR CRT. Just a phenomenal pairing for LD.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 08:54 
Unforgettable on LD.
Thematically it's dead center between Flatliners and Strange Days. Pretty good entertainment although Fiorentino could have been more involved. Superb image quality.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 21:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Ghost story. Was a welcome title and a great cover :thumbup:
Enjoy these "older" movies these days :clap:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 22:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

benmbe wrote:
Good evening to everyone.

It's always a pleasure to visit this site, we have our differences, alternate movie and musical favourites that grow in our respective catalogues each day, week and months that pass.

We share the same tech at the core and we can all relate to the Music and Movie pastime in some way, for all of the joys this brings.

Thursday evening I watched the following movie;

The picture and Dolby ATMOS sound quality transfer is excellent.
The sound was amazing and really drew the listener into the action and tension throughout.
It's one of those movies that you either love or dislike.

I wasn't going to purchase this after watching this on release in the theatres, only because I didn't find it exceptional however, on my second viewing experience and the fact that after many months the price had dropped to 1080 Blu-ray level was a bargain.

I liked this movie better the second time around.

I liked Mortal Engines too. It was a fun movie to watch.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 21:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for your post, forper. Was interesting to read.

Well I like all formats from VHS to 4K. They all have their merits. A well mastered music title on VHS can sound excellent and there is a lot of great music stuff on VHS that is either very expensive
on Laserdisc ( exclusive Japanese releases ) or never made it to Laserdisc.

I am just surprised how well a well recordered prerecorded tape can sound on a good deck.

I actually try to watch at least one film a day. I have just finished watching Vanilla Sky. I know many people dislike it but I do not understand. Why the hate ? This is such a beautiful film and the ending
brought tears to my eyes. It has a great soundtrack, the acting is superb and it wasn't boring one bit. And it still looks good in 2019. One hell of a film.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 21:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, remakes that were only make to fill the movie with already massively overpaid and over represented American actors don’t really deserve any respect. I have no issue with the movie, but it is kinda screwed up that it ever got made.

Someone saw Open Your Eyes and said, “You know, I could cram Tom Cruise into this somehow and make a mint off people too lazy to read subtitles” and that’s pretty much the origin of the movie. I don’t know the true definition of art but that ain’t it.

See: Swept Away. A much worse adaptation but the same thing.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2019, 23:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Most recent watch list:

Skyfall - One of the best Bond movies in my opinion.

Love, Simon - coming of age movie about a gay teen.

Animal Kingdom - pretty forgettable crime drama.

Spectre - Another really great addition to the James Bond franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Perhaps the best Marvel movie release yet.

Live and Let Die *DEFECTIVE* (1973) [ML101418] - pretty cheezy 007.

The Broken - interesting horror/thriller movie.

Man with the Golden Gun, The (1974) [ML101419] - we see Roger Moore improve the bond series with this one.

A Quiet Place - I thought this was an interesting take on the alien/horror genre.

Spy Who Loved Me, The (1977) [ML101743] - corny but entertaining James Bond.

A Single Man - was not a huge fan of this film. Kind of slow and boring.

Moonraker (1979) [ML101710] - Completely outragous but entertaining "James Bond goes to space."

Nine - very disappointed in the movie full of big-name talent. Ultimately, it was just boring.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - I thought that this was one of the better additions to the Star Wars universe of late.

Wonder Woman - Fun superhero action movie.

Ocean's 8 - just watch Ocean's 11, trust me.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - another big-budget action movie. It was entertaining and recommended if you are a Jurassic Park fan.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again - I thought the first one was better, but still entertaining with some good songs.

Ant-Man and the Wasp - Another Marvel superhero flick. Entertaining and I like Paul Rudd.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) [70226] - a funny movie with Gene Wilder and Richard Prior.

Skyscraper - a cheezy action movie with the Rock.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - an interesting movie that has a unique "quirkiness" about it.

For Your Eyes Only (1981) [ML101725] - James Moore as James bond returns again.

Angels and Demons - this has been my favorite of the series. I highly recommend it.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout - good Tom Cruise movie.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 - the gang returns again. Good movie with another outstanding soundtrack.

Murder on the Orient Express - Lots of big-name actors but for some reason it felt "flat." Still worth a watch if you are a fan of the classic book.

Dragonheart (1996) [42973] - super cheezy movie with one of the best soundtracks ever written.

Venom - another "superhero" movie but it didn't impress too much.

Borg vs McEnroe - heavily "altered" retelling of sports history. It was ok.

Crazy Rich Asians - I know lots of people liked this but it really didn't do it for me.

The Meg - Bad "B" movie with a big budget.

Mandy - Really really weird movie.

The Predator - Totally milked franchise at this point. Just watch the original with Arnold.

Tully - an interesting movie with a twist at the end.

The House with a Clock in its Walls - too over-the-top for me. Maybe better for kids.

Johnny English Strikes Again - funny spy spoof. I think this is the 3rd one in the series.

Footloose (1984) [LV 1589] - the classic with Kevin Bacon.

Bohemian Rhapsody - I really like Queen's music so I'm not sure what I enjoyed more, the story or the music.

First Man - a definite watch if you are a space buff.

Creed II - another rocky movie. I've lost count at this point but I liked the ones from the 70's/80's more.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - a must-watch for fans of the Harry Potter universe.

A Star Is Born - I thought that this was "ok" at best. Not sure what all the buzz was about.

Aquaman - pretty good superhero movie. Lots of visual effects but I thought they did a good job with all the underwater scenery.

The Mule - good movie with a very aging Clint Eastwood.

Green Book - great movie. Highly recommend.

Glass - the finisher to the trilogy. I'm happy to see the director making some good movies again.

Holmes & Watson - My god, one of the worst movies ever. And that's coming from somebody who thought Step Brothers was good.

Bumblebee - Considering how bad the series has been, this was actually much better than expected. Probably the best "transformers movie" thus far.

Destination Wedding -

Mortal Engines -

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part -

Replicas -

Colette -

Supercop: Special Edition #327 (1992) [CC1479L] -

The Equalizer 2 -

Her Alibi (1989) [11835] -

Hot Shots! (1991) [1930-80] -

A Simple Favor - An interesting psychological thriller.

The Spy Who Dumped Me - Just terrible. Painful to watch.

They Shall Not Grow Old - Any fan of history should see this documentary by Peter Jackson. The restored footage is amazing.

Captain Marvel - Another "so so" addition to the Marvel universe.

Shazam - Kind of ok, "made for kids" superhero movie.

Fighting with My Family - Fairly entertaining wrestling movie.

Hotel Mumbai - Very entertaining movie based on real-life terrorist attacks in India.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - I can't believe this movie took 20+ year to make. It was kind of a let down in all honesty and I like the director's previous movies.

Tolkien - Interesting biopic of Tolkien's early life which shaped many of the themes in his later books.

Side by Side - Keanu Reeves narrated a documentary about digital vs celluloid film making. Interesting watch if you like the technical side of movie-making.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Fun movie for the (big) kids.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Continuation of the saga.

The Princess Bride - One of my all-time favorite childhood movies. Highly recommended.

Maleficent - a Nice reimagining of the Disney classic.

Hellboy - Pretty terrible reboot of the series.

Bladerunner 2049 - One of the best movies of the last decade. The visual and sound design of this movie is simply amazing.

Men in Black: International - Pretty bad. The original with Will Smith was much better.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum - Entertaining but more of the same,... shooting, killing, shooting...

Alita: Battle Angel - Heavy CGI based film. It was so so but I wonder if they will continue the story?

Brightburn - An interesting "anti-superman" story.

Spider-Man: Far from Home - I thought it was actually ok. More of the same big superhero franchise but entertaining nonetheless.

Rocketman - Slightly disappointed with this one. An Elton John biopic.

Searching - Good psychological thriller. Really kept me on the edge of my seat. I would recommend a watch.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Somewhat disappointing superhero movie.

Avengers: Endgame - The "big finale",... kind of. If you been watching the series, it's kind of a must-see.

Yesterday - Good Danny Boyle film about an alternative universe where the Beatles never existed.

Die Hard (1988) [8905-85] - Classic Christmas movie. Highly recommended.

Love Actually - Another Holiday must watch. Great cast. If you have never seen this movie I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 00:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I very nearly bought the new Shazam! (aka: the actual Captain Marvel) since I’ve been a fan of that character forever. I heard it was good too, actually fun instead of overbearing and suffocating like most super hero movies. I couldn’t do it though, I just don’t like these superhero moves at all. I know I’m not going to like it. It’ll have a stupid soundtrack filled with 10 seconds clips of popular music. The sound will be all bass waves and knives sharpening, the suit looks reptilian/plastic. The music will pre and post-announce every turn in the story so you know what your reaction is supposed to be.

You know where you get a lot more variety of style than you do with comic book movies? Actual comic books.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 00:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Was going to post a movie, however feeling slightly inadequate after reading invenio post lmao !

Shucks, what the heck.....

Viewed SOLAR CRISIS a couple days ago ......

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 01:18 
Finally subjected myself to Terms of Endearment. A reminder that Hollywood buzz and the Oscars have been garbage for going on forty years now. I genuinely like three of the principals in this but the direction, dialogue, and story are ineffectual. It required some jogging forward to finish, in addition to muting every incursion of the silly score.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 01:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The Oscars, the Nobel Prize, they’re all BS. There is no beginning or end to it.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 03:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

George C. Scott boycotted his oscar win at the awards for a reason .........

Guy was one of my favorite actors back in the day !
Check "The Formula" on laserdisc .... Scott and Brando at their best ! ! !

Page 18 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 76  Next