It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 05:49

Page 22 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 18:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The original Gundam had the right idea of adapting the series into a trilogy.

The original Space Cruiser Yamato movie is pretty awful. Massive pacing issues, all the gaps are just filled with narration, no new animation and I don't think they even fixed the one major animation error (Yamato stays in the background when the camera pans to follow the beam from the wave motion gun). Really should've been two or three movies.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 23:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

At least Zeta attempts to explain anime. I don't think he was really successful in his last post even though I agree he is very knowledgeable.

I won't attempt to explain all of anime fandom even though I was part of it from the early '90s and '80s if you consider my adoration of Robotech in '85 on US TV.

However Initial D fandom is interesting one though. I knew a lot of guys who would never watch anime, were popular cool guys but in high school they all got the bootlegs of Initial D on VCD and DVD from Chinatown because they had or wanted imported Japanese sports cars, it wasn't C grade, it was a good quality show, it's actually in my top 10 shows and no "ota-stink" for these guys. Stuff like Nissan Silvias and even GTR Skylines were relatively affordable in Australia because they were already right hand drive, ticket price used in Japan was very low and after shipping and compliance they were affordable to a lot of guys who were like working in supermarkets and living with their parents. I was so jealous of those guys living in my share house from 18, sometimes homeless I never had that much spare cash. For me my Sega Saturn was my ultimate luxury. I borrowed the Initial D set off one of those guys from high school.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 23:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have been watching “For All Womankind” on Apple TV +. Well I guess I just explained my feelings about it.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2019, 00:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
At least Zeta attempts to explain anime. I don't think he was really successful in his last post even though I agree he is very knowledgeable.

I thought it was an interesting reply for sure. Everyone has their own views and experiences of things. I don't see it as too different from any kind of media. There is mass produced crap, labors of love, think pieces, popcorn material and really stuff for everyone if you look closely.

After being into anime and once I got more into the internet I briefly tried to join some anime forums but found them rancid and left. Plus I really enjoy discovering shows and such on my own..

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2019, 00:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah agree Gypsy.

Substance - hahaha

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 01:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Back to Apes last night. Conquest was excellent. Again better than expected. I'm really impressed with the diligent continuity in these movies. It really weaves a plausible and consistent saga. High hopes for the final installment of Apes...

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 10:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Orguss: Perfect Collection (1983) [PILA-7004]

Subbed thanks to my new CS450 genlock! I remember getting the fansubs at the Canberra Anime Society in the mid 90s but only making it to ep 12..finally I can watch the whole series.

In between episodes been watching my Mari Iijima DVD of Something Special. Always meant to get the LD one day. Highly recommended
Mari Iijima: Live '90 - Something Special [AMLM-8003]

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 15:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My categorization comes from how shows are seen by the Japanese public and heavily weighted by the perspectives of people who have made a career of it.

To gaijin it’s all just stuff on video of different running times. Anime is anime. But if you were an animator you’d know for sure the difference between directing an episode of Initial D with no budget that comes on at 2am on Sunday night on cable versus a Lupin III TV special that will be seen by a million viewers in prime time. Animators who’s cuts are used in Sky Crawlers or Ponyo are in rare air.

My categorization isn’t directly tied to the overall greatness of the show, just the realties of production and distribution. People who worked on Memories knew absolutely for sure they were working on top tier stuff and not in-betweening on Manson Ikkoku anymore. People who worked on Cream Lemon or Transformers often used pseudonyms...

To use western stuff as an example, Lion King and Secret Life of Pets are A grade, Fire and Ice and Fantastic Planet are B grade. Obviously B is often better, especially with Western stuff. If this fails to validate your ego or give a safe space to your favorite show I don’t give a crap, that’s how it is.

Last edited by signofzeta on 30 Dec 2019, 19:06, edited 2 times in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 17:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Like what you happen to Like in life, Without Apology.

if someone happens to agree with you, then Coolio, More Power to us.
if someone happens to disagree with you, then Coolio, let's Agree to Disagree, No?

indeed, we all have our personal opinions, and we are all very much entitled to them...

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 17:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
The original Gundam had the right idea of adapting the series into a trilogy.

The original Space Cruiser Yamato movie is pretty awful. Massive pacing issues, all the gaps are just filled with narration, no new animation and I don't think they even fixed the one major animation error (Yamato stays in the background when the camera pans to follow the beam from the wave motion gun). Really should've been two or three movies.

Yamato could not have been more popular when they went to the theater. Gundam on the other hand was rife with compromise for the sponsor and TV station and was ultimately cancelled as a TV series so when the first movie was green-lit they basically got to work fixing all the issues and making their case for a trilogy. The improvements are considerable, particularly in the finale.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 19:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:

What if the judge says my sentence will be reduced if I say I’m sorry for ever liking that stuff? Serious question, I would appreciate a serious answer.

Quote:
indeed, we all have our personal opinions, and we are all very much entitled to them...

Indeed, this is how meek people tell others to shut up. That’s what the ellipsis eludes to. It *sounds* open minded but reality it’s a plea for someone (often me) to stop posting their opinions because they aren’t compatible with the tyrannical positivity some prefer. You see people fighting over something and you won’t so you’re uncomfortable. You want me to change the way I talk about stuff so you’ll feel better. I reject it.

If everyone just accepted everything there would be nothing good. Everything good was made to overcome crap previously seen by the artist. With a mind so open that critical perception is impossible then you may as well just watch Friends all day. If your mind is totally free from judgement then you don’t need anything good and your options of what’s good/bad are worthless because you don’t even care.

- insert some sort of quote from Rollins or somebody cooler than me...

PS “Coolio was featured on the March 5, 2013, episode of the ABC reality program Wife Swap, but his then girlfriend left him after the program was taped.” So yeah, I do think what you’re saying is Coolio. It ain’t cool though. :(

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 21:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
My categorization comes from how shows are seen by the Japanese public and heavily weighted by the perspectives of people who have made a career of it.

To gaijin it’s all just stuff on video of different running times. Anime is anime. But if you were an animator you’d know for sure the difference between directing an episode of Initial D with no budget that comes on at 2am on Sunday night on cable versus a Lupin III TV special that will be seen by a million viewers in prime time. Animators who’s cuts are used in Sky Crawlers or Ponyo are in rare air.

My categorization isn’t directly tied to the overall greatness of the show, just the realties of production and distribution. People who worked on Memories knew absolutely for sure they were working on top tier stuff and not in-betweening on Manson Ikkoku anymore. People who worked on Cream Lemon or Transformers often used pseudonyms...

To use western stuff as an example, Lion King and Secret Life of Pets are A grade, Fire and Ice and Fantastic Planet are B grade. Obviously B is often better, especially with Western stuff. If this fails to validate your ego or give a safe space to your favorite show I don’t give a crap, that’s how it is.

Yeah I understood what you were getting at. There is of course a huge difference in production quality between a high cut OAV and something that requires pumping out 50 episodes a year.

signofzeta wrote:
tasuke wrote:

What if the judge says my sentence will be reduced if I say I’m sorry for ever liking that stuff? Serious question, I would appreciate a serious answer.

The assumption would be as long as it's legal. Though things like marijuana should not be illegal. I don't even smoke myself but it's just an excuse to keep prisons stocked for free labor.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 21:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I didn’t even think of drugs. I was thinking of lolicon pron.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 21:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I didn’t even think of drugs. I was thinking of lolicon pron.

I wasn't going to say it so I was speaking generally. :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 23:05 
signofzeta wrote:
Indeed, this is how meek people tell others to shut up. That’s what the ellipsis eludes to. It *sounds* open minded but reality it’s a plea for someone (often me) to stop posting their opinions because they aren’t compatible with the tyrannical positivity some prefer. You see people fighting over something and you won’t so you’re uncomfortable. You want me to change the way I talk about stuff so you’ll feel better. I reject it.

This is quite true, all that's missing is that those meek people are often underhanded as well. A show of tolerance with a gag order behind it.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 23:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hey Zeta, I really agree with you that accepting everything and not arguing is weak, so I'll argue with you.

signofzeta wrote:
they were working on top tier stuff and not in-betweening on Manson Ikkoku anymore.

You see, Maison Ikkoku is something I've watched completely. It is one of the most consistently animated long running shows and in my top 10 of all time. The backgrounds and detail is incredible to me. The interiors are so good. It puts you right in actual Japan at that time. I lived in that exact area in the '90s. There are so many places I recognised. It's based on the Higashikurume neighborhood in Tokyo. Being an in betweener on MI is nothing to be ashamed of. That had very high production values I believe.

Same with Initial D. It's a nicely animated show. Hand animating that many moving cars is not a small feat either.

I think your disdain for a few of these shows is misplaced. I would call MI and ID A grade TV anime. I would also call some episodes of Macross A+ grade (Pine Salad and a few others) and some episodes D grade, but MI and ID? A grade throughout. If you wanted the manga to come to life you got it and no compromise or flaws throughout.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2019, 07:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed my last title of 2019.....

A late release of "2001" [PILF-2510].

Excellent LD-G transfer from a 35mm negative circa 1997 in Japan.
Overture/Intermission/Finale included.

Check this version out if a fan of Stanley Kubrick masterpieces.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2019, 09:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

^A great way to end the decade :cool:

I have the Criterion #60 version in CAV uncut, one of my favorite LDs.
2001: A Space Odyssey: Special Edition #60 (1968) (Uncut) [CC1160L]

I finished another disc of Orguss and just now Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

I tell ya it was comforting to know that us pathetic humans still knew how to conduct a combined arms attack on a fortified position in the near future! 60mm mortars, recoiless rifles, marching fire, smoke screen just before the assault, I mean it was textbook! I guess some of those Army field manuals survived the apocolypse. We showed them damn dirty Apes how it's done!

The Ape saga is now indelibly etched in my mind as one of the greatest SF sagas ever divised. It's perfect and wonderful. I love these movies and just can't understand how I never saw them earlier. Especially since one of my favorite clothing brands in the day was based on the franchise..

Sipping the Hakushu single malt whiskey from Suntory this new years eve, got on Yumi Matsutoya Gates of Heaven LD loud..happy new year to all. 2020s are lookin good to me..can't be worse than 2018-2019, tough years for me and some others here. Here's to better times! Cheers all.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2019, 14:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:

Sipping the Hakushu single malt whiskey from Suntory this new years eve, got on Yumi Matsutoya Gates of Heaven LD loud..happy new year to all. 2020s are lookin good to me..can't be worse than 2018-2019, tough years for me and some others here. Here's to better times! Cheers all.

You guys hit the New Year earlier than us here..... have a good one.

I really hope the new decade ahead is better for everyone here, looks like more than a few have been through some pretty bleak times over the last few years.

All the best for the year (& years) ahead :thumbup: .

Take care all.

John

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2020, 11:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

First movie of the new year - "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" Disney Archive Collection.

Forgot how epic this movie was.
Back when Disney made fantastic films.......

Happy New Years to the membership.......

Page 22 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 76  Next