It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:36

Page 30 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 17:00 
True fan
True fan

I'm going to go with deliberately goofy. :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 18:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just watched Two Lane Blacktop on Blu-ray (btw the transfer on the disc is really good) & included on page 34 within the enclosed booklet is the following.....

NOTES ON VIEWING
Two Lane Blacktop was shot in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. When viewing on widescreen systems, the display mode should be doublechecked so that the film appears with its original dimensions intact, with black bars bordering the top and bottom of the image.
INCORRECT:

a couple of images with the screen totally filled - image blown.
The above images are a distortion and corruption of the original artwork, which travesty the integrity of both the human form and cinematographic space.
CORRECT:

an image showing the intended (correct) image.
The image as intended by the director when shown correctly on a widescreen display.

SPECIAL NOTE: Any "motion smoothing" settings (such as "Puremotion"/"MotionFlow", etc) should be swithed OFF so the film can be viewed as intended. Please calibrate your display settings in order to experience this film optimally (many factory default settings are neither suitable nor desirable).

I don't buy or have that many blu-ray discs so not sure if a similar type of notice is often on other discs, are there others that carry the same type of message & in as much detail?

Cheers

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 21:25 
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983) [8765-85]

Better than I'd remembered, certainly too good to be lumped in with the CGI (prequel) trilogy the way the internet seemed to do for awhile.
The Ewoks aren't its problem, that's the storm troopers and nothing but; when six of them can't hit a human target shooting down a corridor it becomes impossible to believe they'd ever be able to conquer a galaxy, and when you take into account their struggles with microwave jedi and his untrained princess sister it becomes doubtful they could even conquer Liechtenstein. Basically they're the foot clan.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 23:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

je280 wrote:
Just watched Two Lane Blacktop on Blu-ray (btw the transfer on the disc is really good) & included on page 34 within the enclosed booklet is the following.....

NOTES ON VIEWING
Two Lane Blacktop was shot in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. When viewing on widescreen systems, the display mode should be doublechecked so that the film appears with its original dimensions intact, with black bars bordering the top and bottom of the image.
INCORRECT:

a couple of images with the screen totally filled - image blown.
The above images are a distortion and corruption of the original artwork, which travesty the integrity of both the human form and cinematographic space.
CORRECT:

an image showing the intended (correct) image.
The image as intended by the director when shown correctly on a widescreen display.

SPECIAL NOTE: Any "motion smoothing" settings (such as "Puremotion"/"MotionFlow", etc) should be swithed OFF so the film can be viewed as intended. Please calibrate your display settings in order to experience this film optimally (many factory default settings are neither suitable nor desirable).

I don't buy or have that many blu-ray discs so not sure if a similar type of notice is often on other discs, are there others that carry the same type of message & in as much detail?

Cheers

First off, let me say that I love this movie and would own every version except for the fact that most of them are $200 it seems like so I don’t actually own any of them.

Secondly that blurb on the back is way overdue. I’m glad to see it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 00:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

je280 wrote:

[b][i]NOTES ON VIEWING

Is this the Criterion or the Masters of Cinema?
Very interesting to see this, so many fools who don't know how to setup for the film, they may know how to setup for color etc
but all these new enhancements for TVs really mess things up for older non 60fps stuff.

Can't remember if I ever saw this one but may have to check it out now.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 02:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
je280 wrote:

[b][i]NOTES ON VIEWING

Is this the Criterion or the Masters of Cinema?
Very interesting to see this, so many fools who don't know how to setup for the film, they may know how to setup for color etc
but all these new enhancements for TVs really mess things up for older non 60fps stuff.

Can't remember if I ever saw this one but may have to check it out now.

The copy I have which includes the "NOTES ON VIEWING" text is the Masters of Cinema release.

I have seen the Criterion issue but felt it was a little overpriced & as the Masters of Cinema release is easy to pick up new & sealed here in the UK for around the £10 mark (including postage) that is the one I went for.

zeta..... love the feature also & have a copy of the ROAN laserdisc which came included in a collection I bought quite a few years ago so was lucky to pick it up for a £ or two at most, a good transfer on the LD & it has the same commentary from Monte Hellman & Gary Kurtz as is included on the Masters of Cinema blu-ray release.

rein-o..... it really is worth checking out if you have never seen it.

The Driver "You can never go fast enough."

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 04:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In addition to it being great movie crammed with a certain kind of cool I’ve also found Two Lane Blacktop to be useful for one particular thing; the GTO concept.

People who collect DTS, late release, specific PILF number ranges, HiVision etc versions of garbage movies are totally GTO. They’re all the same sort of sad hapless dipstick who think because they blew some bread on something that they are in a scene and probably that everyone worships them but in fact they are a joke to people like James Taylor with his broke a** claptrap primer grey Chevy.

GTO riding in the boys permanent project car/hustle machine...he would probably complain about having no heater in the same way that noobs here explain that they need Citizen Kane to cover every inch of their new TV with no black bars.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 13:02 
True fan
True fan

I collect Dts releases and late releases of crap movies. I love it. It's what makes the hobby fun for me. I don't feel like a sad hapless dipstick. :thumbup:

Had the day off work. Decided to watch The river wild. What a great movie. Meryl Streep as the mum and Kevin bacon as the bad guy. It reminded me a bit of city slickers but a lot more enjoyable imo. The cinematography was beautifully shot and the score was very exciting. Decided to watch it in the bedroom on the 925. For a thx disc it's quite a noisy one. Would probably fair better on the x9.

Now that I'm a fan of this film I'll have to keep an eye out for the DTS release. :P

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 21:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You’d love Two Lane Blacktop. It has this really cool character in it who drives a killer GTO. (Those things are worth a lot of money now days!)

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 21:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I need more people out there like odotb3 that don't already have these movies. Please someone buy There's Something About Mary and Meet Joe Black from me. :p

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 23:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Sorry, I’m only looking for Shallow Hal and The Animal and then my DTS collection is complete.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 08:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

TSABM made some prestigious super elite list of movies lately, like together with comedy classics from the '30s and '40s. Can't remember what list.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 12:23 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
Sorry, I’m only looking for Shallow Hal and The Animal and then my DTS collection is complete.

One of the worst films Ive ever bought has to be Phenomenon starring John Travolta. The only reason I bought it was because it was a Dts disc. I had nothing to expect other than decent sound quality. Wow was this film absoultely awful. Travolta's performance is just sickening and the story is so absurd and uninteresting it bored me to tears. The ending is so ridiculous i was flailing my arms in the air as the credits rolled shouting "what!?" I couldnt believe what I had just seen. Easily one of the most preposterous and farcical movies i'd seen in a long time. And the worst part was the Dts soundtrack was only really effective in one scene.

Having said all that, I came away from the film having ultimately enjoyed the time I spent with it, because I thought it was such a train wreck. It wasnt even so bad that it was good. It was enjoyment on a different level. A sort of enjoyment I never would have had If i'd not gone for that Dts label.

One of the things I love about the Laserdisc format is being able to see films I've never seen or heard of before. Or films I would never have the opportunity to see otherwise due to reasons like obscurity etc.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 15:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:

People who collect DTS, late release, specific PILF number ranges, HiVision etc versions of garbage movies are totally GTO. They’re all the same sort of sad hapless dipstick who think because they blew some bread on something that they are in a scene and probably that everyone worships them but in fact they are a joke to people like James Taylor with his broke a** claptrap primer grey Chevy.

Sometimes when I read your posts I really do not know what your problem is. You are always so negative. Every post is a rant.

Just let people enjoy their hobbies. And btw I love HiVision and I am happy to own a couple of discs and I am not "some sort of hapless dipstick".
Why do you have to be so offensive ?

I am fascinated by the technology. That's all. What is your problem ?

You must be a really sad person that is using this forum as a valve to release all of the negative things that run through your head 24/7/365.

Get a life for real. You are the main reason why I am starting to lose interest in this forum. Just let people be.

I am not saying that my posts are really interesting and informative but at least I do not attack other people for their interests, etc.

Who are you to judge other people ? :thumbdown:

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 17:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

How many times can you ask “What is your problem?” in a single post? If all I do is “rant” then I’ve clearly done nothing but explain what my problem is and...are you saying you don’t understand the rants or...what? There’s no way at all you don’t know “what my problem is”. That’s just a loop your brain is stuck in because you’re out of words to say.

The dog whistle aspect is amusing but also tiring. I say something like “Man, screw all these dudes glueing pennies to the pavement.” and on cue a bunch people come out of the wood to defend the practice. I wonder why you’re all confessing but then I realize you’re actually bragging. At a glance we have the same hobby but in reality our value systems make us totally incompatible.

Related: I saw Phenomenon in the theater. It wasn’t much worse than most Travolta movies which is to say it was garbage. When it comes to uniquely offensively bad Travolta movies I think of Battlefield Earth because every second of it is especially bad for a movie that cost who knows what. I think of Gotti because it’s and ad for the mob. I don’t often watch things ironically. Even the monster movies and $2 anime I like almost always have some aspect that is genuinely appealing to me (artistically, not a logo). Travolta is in more bad movies than good and a real life scumbag so I have no desire to watch him be paid millions of dollars as he makes more crap films for hate watching podcasts to talk about. That stuff just isn’t worth participating to the level of buying a copy. Not with Travolta on the cover anyway. Btw, I also saw Michael in the theater. And Jackal. And the first movie he did with the babies. Dang that guy has taken a lot of my money!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 18:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just watched Ewok Adventure, The (1984) [SF078-1184] and I can safely say that Battle for Endor is indeed the better movie.

This movie has Cindel's big brother Mace as the main male protagonist, who is kind of an insufferable git and I sincerely hope this is not the best Eric Walker can do as an actor.

Battle for Endor in the other hand has Wilford Brimley.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 01:45 
confederate wrote:
Sometimes when I read your posts I really do not know what your problem is. You are always so negative. Every post is a rant.

That's actually a virtue on such a slow forum. Better to have a bit of dickery than total silence.

DTS collecting doesn't appeal to me but it's faintly surprising there aren't more collecting subsets here, for example collecting LDs with previews (not self-same trailers), or a rotter defiance bubble with people trying to collect a perfectly playing copy of every disc on the 100 worst rotters list.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 09:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

snipesbackhand wrote:
people trying to collect a perfectly playing copy of every disc on the 100 worst rotters list.

Cool idea, why don't YOU collect em?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 10:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Confederate - yep, agree, many members have PMed me saying what a dick Zeta can be. He's the ultimate hater, hates his own country, his own people, everything mainstream, anything he can think of that doesn't fit inside his limited world view or specific taste. He's the kind of guy who thinks he's very open minded but is actually extremely blinkered by his strong biases and beliefs. He does bring knowledge often though and I respect that. I don't want Zeta to stop posting in his way, if I wanted him to stop I'd be just like him. And I'm nothing like Zeta.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 17:01 
True fan
True fan

forper wrote:
snipesbackhand wrote:
people trying to collect a perfectly playing copy of every disc on the 100 worst rotters list.

Cool idea, why don't YOU collect em?

Three copies of ace Ventura when nature calls and I still dont have a good copy. :lol:

I can buy the DVD for £2! But wheres the fun in that? :P

Page 30 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 76  Next