It is currently 06 Jun 2020, 11:17




 Page 35 of 42 [ 823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 42  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 05:25 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 02 Aug 2019, 02:29
Posts: 483
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 23 times
je280 wrote:
Game of Death & Game of Death 2 are pretty vile for a number of reasons. Using footage from the mans funeral in Game of Death was pretty warped or is that just me?

Among a quite a number of so called Bruceploitation movies that really were pretty sick. "Bruce Fights Back From Beyond The Grave" - "Bruce Is Back" - "The Master Returns" - "Bruce Is Back To Right The Wrongs" were among many taglines used on a number of films.

Watch them if you must but don't pay to do it. You really have not missed anything if you have not seen them.

Cheers


Don't forget The Clones of Bruce Lee :)
Online
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 10:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 956
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 116 times
deadlegion wrote:
je280 wrote:
Game of Death & Game of Death 2 are pretty vile for a number of reasons. Using footage from the mans funeral in Game of Death was pretty warped or is that just me?

Among a quite a number of so called Bruceploitation movies that really were pretty sick. "Bruce Fights Back From Beyond The Grave" - "Bruce Is Back" - "The Master Returns" - "Bruce Is Back To Right The Wrongs" were among many taglines used on a number of films.

Watch them if you must but don't pay to do it. You really have not missed anything if you have not seen them.

Cheers


Don't forget The Clones of Bruce Lee :)



Thanks deadlegion but I would rather forget that one.

Mark Pollard on the Kung Fu Cinema website summed up the film with.....

"Clones of Bruce Lee is the Plan 9 from Outer Space of Hong Kong cinema. It's the very definition of bad film making and sleazy exploitation. Expect to witness mad scientists bent on world domination, death rays, bronzemen, and naked women frolicking on the beach. Despite some decent kung fu action, particularly with Bolo, it's so bad you'll laugh or turn it off." & that was one of the less harsh reviews.

Cheers
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 11:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jul 2014, 20:59
Posts: 116
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 27 times
I watched The Fan last night with de Niro and Wesley snipes. Didnt watch it on ld unfortunately seeing as how it's a known rotter.

Wow this film definitely holds up. De Niro's acting is so believable and convincing. You really buy his character as the deranged loser who tries his best. In fact I would say the performances were so good that the film has really stuck with me. So much so that I just bought the book!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 13:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2019, 02:45
Posts: 81
Location: South Africa
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 14 times
Dune (1984) [43153]

I walked in mostly cold with regard to this one. Had heard about it but had never previously seen it or read Herbert.

All I can say is: WTF did I just watch....? I think I'll just leave it at that.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 13:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 956
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 116 times
spyrogyro wrote:
Dune (1984) [43153]

I walked in mostly cold with regard to this one. Had heard about it but had never previously seen it or read Herbert.

All I can say is: WTF did I just watch....? I think I'll just leave it at that.


If it is any consolation the Dune LD you watched is by far the best release on the LD format.

All I can say is: WTF did I just watch....? :lol:

I take it you will not be spinning that one again then.

Cheers

.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 15:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 1355
Location: United States
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 131 times
Lynch's Dune is pretty wild.

This is a better adaptation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert%27s_Dune
_________________
My collection. If it's not anime, it's probably available for sale or trade.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 06:17 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2019, 06:17
Posts: 256
Location: New Zealand
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 35 times
We are about a third the way through watching the tv show
Stand, The: Stephen King's (1994) [LV29684]

Gary Sinise really is a terrific actor in my opinion,
Very much enjoyable so far
_________________
CLD-R7G
CLD-D590
VSA-E07
Check out my small but loved collection here..
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 11:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jul 2014, 20:59
Posts: 116
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 27 times
I watched Matinee for the first time last night. Great movie! I found that it reflected today's pandemic somewhat as one of the themes in this movie is impending nuclear devastation. Theres even a scene where people are panic buying in the supermarket and one lady is going for the toilet paper big time lol.

John Goodman's performance is terrific and his overall passion for cinema is inspiring and contagious. All the child actors are decent in it too.

I'd recommend it!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 22:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1368
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 110 times
odotb3 wrote:
John Goodman's performance is terrific and his overall passion for cinema is inspiring and contagious.

His character is based on a real life person isn't he? I forget the name, but he was big on pushing gimmicky cinema experiences like smell-o-vision or rumblerama or whatever the hell they were called. Big showmanship stuff anyway.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 23:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 6419
Location: United States
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 237 times
takeshi666 wrote:
odotb3 wrote:
John Goodman's performance is terrific and his overall passion for cinema is inspiring and contagious.

His character is based on a real life person isn't he? I forget the name, but he was big on pushing gimmicky cinema experiences like smell-o-vision or rumblerama or whatever the hell they were called. Big showmanship stuff anyway.


William Castle.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 05:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 4390
Location: United States
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 378 times
rein-o wrote:


This is one of my favorite LDs. The cover is great, as is the video quality.

Fields is hilarious, my favorite is the Golf Specialist. That hat. That pie.

For anyone who cares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbUdctPi80 (video is much lower quality than W.C. Fields: Six Short Films [V1094L]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 06:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 2023
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 159 times
je280 wrote:
deadlegion wrote:
je280 wrote:
Game of Death & Game of Death 2 are pretty vile for a number of reasons. Using footage from the mans funeral in Game of Death was pretty warped or is that just me?

Among a quite a number of so called Bruceploitation movies that really were pretty sick. "Bruce Fights Back From Beyond The Grave" - "Bruce Is Back" - "The Master Returns" - "Bruce Is Back To Right The Wrongs" were among many taglines used on a number of films.

Watch them if you must but don't pay to do it. You really have not missed anything if you have not seen them.

Cheers


Don't forget The Clones of Bruce Lee :)



Thanks deadlegion but I would rather forget that one.

Mark Pollard on the Kung Fu Cinema website summed up the film with.....

"Clones of Bruce Lee is the Plan 9 from Outer Space of Hong Kong cinema. It's the very definition of bad film making and sleazy exploitation. Expect to witness mad scientists bent on world domination, death rays, bronzemen, and naked women frolicking on the beach. Despite some decent kung fu action, particularly with Bolo, it's so bad you'll laugh or turn it off." & that was one of the less harsh reviews.

Cheers


TBH that sounds pretty darn cool to me 8-)
_________________
Sony MDP-650//Sony MDP-355GX//DVDO VP-50//Sony KV-HR36M31
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 07:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1368
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 110 times
forper wrote:
je280 wrote:


Thanks deadlegion but I would rather forget that one.

Mark Pollard on the Kung Fu Cinema website summed up the film with.....

"Clones of Bruce Lee is the Plan 9 from Outer Space of Hong Kong cinema. It's the very definition of bad film making and sleazy exploitation. Expect to witness mad scientists bent on world domination, death rays, bronzemen, and naked women frolicking on the beach. Despite some decent kung fu action, particularly with Bolo, it's so bad you'll laugh or turn it off." & that was one of the less harsh reviews.

Cheers


TBH that sounds pretty darn cool to me 8-)

If you like the sound of that, you should check out Dragon Lives Again. Bruce Lee goes to hell and teams up with Popeye, the one-armed swordsman and Caine from TV's Kung Fu to fight characters like Dracula, James Bond, Zatoichi, the Godfather and Emmanuelle :mrgreen:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 13:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jul 2014, 20:59
Posts: 116
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 27 times
rein-o wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
odotb3 wrote:
John Goodman's performance is terrific and his overall passion for cinema is inspiring and contagious.

His character is based on a real life person isn't he? I forget the name, but he was big on pushing gimmicky cinema experiences like smell-o-vision or rumblerama or whatever the hell they were called. Big showmanship stuff anyway.


William Castle.


That's even more inspiring! Will have to read up on him.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 13:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 956
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 116 times
takeshi666 wrote:
forper wrote:
je280 wrote:


Thanks deadlegion but I would rather forget that one.

Mark Pollard on the Kung Fu Cinema website summed up the film with.....

"Clones of Bruce Lee is the Plan 9 from Outer Space of Hong Kong cinema. It's the very definition of bad film making and sleazy exploitation. Expect to witness mad scientists bent on world domination, death rays, bronzemen, and naked women frolicking on the beach. Despite some decent kung fu action, particularly with Bolo, it's so bad you'll laugh or turn it off." & that was one of the less harsh reviews.

Cheers


TBH that sounds pretty darn cool to me 8-)

If you like the sound of that, you should check out Dragon Lives Again. Bruce Lee goes to hell and teams up with Popeye, the one-armed swordsman and Caine from TV's Kung Fu to fight characters like Dracula, James Bond, Zatoichi, the Godfather and Emmanuelle :mrgreen:


The summary from the IMDb site covers it quite well.....

It's one of the "Bruceploitation" films that were made to cash in on Bruce Lee after his death. The story follows Bruce Lee after he dies and ends up in Hell. Once there, he does the logical thing and opens a gym. After fending off the advances of the King Of Hell's naked wives, he discovers that the most evil people in Hell are attempting a takeover, so Bruce sets out to stop it. As if it wasn't weird enough, the evil people are: Zatoichi (the blind swordsman hero of Japanese film), James Bond, The Godfather, The Exorcist, Emmanuelle (the "heroine" of many European softcore p0rn films), Dracula, and, of course, Clint Eastwood (played by a Chinese guy). Aiding Bruce is The One-Armed Swordsman (hero of kung-fu films), Kain from the U.S. tv series, Kung-Fu (actually played by a Chinese guy this time), and Popeye the Sailor Man! Yes, Popeye the Sailor Man. He eats spinach and helps Bruce fight some mummies.
.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 15:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 1355
Location: United States
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 131 times
Watched a couple topical films. Network and Videodrome.
_________________
My collection. If it's not anime, it's probably available for sale or trade.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 15:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 6419
Location: United States
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 237 times
Fields is great, I picked up the DVD boxes that have all the films but none of the shorts, the DVD of the shorts is still high and you can pickup the LD for a few bucks.

There is a great documentary on Castle, can't remember what its called but its great.
Matinee is not an exact of Castle but its very close and how he was. Tingler is a great one, have some of his other films and need to watch.
But he would put buzzers under seats etc. Amazing salesman.

These Bruce Lee style films sound absolutely amazing, I was looking up Clones of Bruce but its sort of high priced for what I want to pay.
I think it was around 15, I'll have to see if I can stream it.


Always love Videodrome when I was younger, had a feel to it, I guess I should look into picking that up one day.
Network is a great one too.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 19:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2019, 02:45
Posts: 81
Location: South Africa
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 14 times
Crash: Special Edition #349 (1996) [CC1500L]

Not for all tastes. In fact, there is nothing tasteful to be found here. But for those who love their Cronenberg unfiltered this would be right up their alley.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 20:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 4390
Location: United States
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 378 times
spyrogyro wrote:
Crash: Special Edition #349 (1996) [CC1500L]

Not for all tastes. In fact, there is nothing tasteful to be found here. But for those who love their Cronenberg unfiltered this would be right up their alley.


Yeah, thanks for reminding me. I have a copy of this movie I need to burn.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 21:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 6419
Location: United States
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 237 times
signofzeta wrote:
spyrogyro wrote:
Crash: Special Edition #349 (1996) [CC1500L]

Not for all tastes. In fact, there is nothing tasteful to be found here. But for those who love their Cronenberg unfiltered this would be right up their alley.


Yeah, thanks for reminding me. I have a copy of this movie I need to burn.


Now's the time to do it.

Get that fire going in the backyard and start burning stuff.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 35 of 42 [ 823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 42  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron