It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:50

Page 41 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 13 May 2020, 14:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
tasuke wrote:
found an off chance to see the KUBRICK classic "A CLOCKWORK ORANGE" for the first time.

while i do get the general sociopolitical message it tries to convey loud and clear enough, on the main,
the film largely seems like an attempt to couch some midcore p0rn within an ostensible high-minded context...

Sorry tasuke but can't agree on that point.

well, i'm no prude, by any means, and there is a lot to admire about the film.

i do realize that VIETNAM was still going on at the time, and things were generally a social catastrophe all over.

i mean, clearly, the younger British generations alone,
contending with a social establishment with a steel shaft so far up their collective craw that it is quite intolerable.

clearly, the 1970's was indeed a bit of a "Fun" time to have lived through...

PostPosted: 13 May 2020, 20:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I just watched Fried Green Tomatoes ( 1991 ) for the first time. I think it is excellent from beginning to end. They simply don't make films like this any more.
I enjoyed this more than Interstellar, Dunkirk and some other pretentious stuff combined. It is a simple and touching story about life and growing old with
stellar performances by everyone. Kathy Bates is wonderful and so is Jessica Tandy. The score is very good, too. It is a story about love, friendship, becoming a better
person, marriage crises, racism in the Deep South long before Martin Luther King, etc. It moved me a great deal. Excellent.

PostPosted: 13 May 2020, 21:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

confederate wrote:
I just watched Fried Green Tomatoes ( 1991 ) for the first time. I think it is excellent from beginning to end. They simply don't make films like this any more.
I enjoyed this more than Interstellar, Dunkirk and some other pretentious stuff combined. It is a simple and touching story about life and growing old with
stellar performances by everyone. Kathy Bates is wonderful and so is Jessica Tandy. The score is very good, too. It is a story about love, friendship, becoming a better
person, marriage crises, racism in the Deep South long before Martin Luther King, etc. It moved me a great deal. Excellent.

Great movie, one of my mom's favorites so I've seen it a few times.

PostPosted: 13 May 2020, 22:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Eight Hours Of Terror.

Another whopper film by Seljun Suzkui. Get it watched!

My mediocre review of it here if anyone cares:

My ★★★★ review of Eight Hours of Terror on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/18Q1iJ

PostPosted: 14 May 2020, 10:15 
True fan
True fan

If you want a laugh then I cant recommend A Low Down Dirty Shame enough. Spun it last night on a random one and had a very good time. Keenan Ivory Wayans looks and sounds like an amalgamtion of all the other Wayans brothers. Very entertaining to see him in a film since I'm more familiar with his brothers work. I couldnt tell you how many random comedies I have on LD that star Damon Wayans for example.

Full of funny one liners, a sexy Jada Pinkett, an over the top villian and a wicked theme song! Great pressing from Mitsubishi also.

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 16:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Ghost in the Shell the 2017 "live action" movie.

On TV last night so gave it a watch.

The film was apparently not screened for critics before its release which usually has good reason behind decisions like that.

The Ghost in the Shell movie had some rather cool visuals and a surprisingly good performance from Scarlett Johansson, but is sure lacks the sense of true impact that the source material clearly had - it could have been worse though.

The best I can say is they tried hard but, yet again, perhaps best to leave things like that as they are.

Thankfully the long talked about AKIRA movie looks to be going nowhere.

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 12:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Grumpier Old Men (1995) [14191]
A title known to suffer from laser rot. Mine is no exception although at this stage it's still quite watchable.

The movie itself is not as good as the original, but still a pretty enjoyable film. A nice combination of comedy and drama.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 16:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I watched a couple of films these past couple of days:

- Underwater ( 2020 ) - Vincent Cassel. What were you thinking ? What you made you decide to take part in this cinematic filth ????? One word: TERRIBLE !!! I did not care about
the characters one bit. They could have died in the first thirty minutes and I would have not wept a single tear. Don't watch this wanna be Abyss clone.

- Rising Sun ( with Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes ) - I think it is a great film but you need to watch it very attentively to fully understand what happened here. Sean Connery was
excellent ( one of his best roles ) and the other cast was decent, too. I liked the score a lot and the cinematography was very pleasing, too. One of the "funniest" scenes was towards
the end when Tia Carrere walked into the conference room and showed a "laserdisc" ( that had the size of a mini CD and could store up to 12 hours of video! ) to everybody in the room.
When she opened the tray of the player you can clearly see it is a laserdisc player! Overall a very intelligent action movie if you may say so. I watched it on Blu-ray and thought the quality
was great.

- Ad Astra - Since I am a huge sci-fi fan and have been kind of let down by a lot of the sci-fi stuff that has been coming out in the last years ( pretentious stuff like Interstellar or annoying films
like The Martian ) I must say that this one was a welcome surprise ! It is not pretentious one bit and features a brilliant performance by Brad Pitt. The film has depth, character and an intriguing
vision of how our colonies on Moon and Mars might look like in the future. I loved the score and cinematography. The story was very interesting and the ending was good ( unlike the ridiculous
ending in Interstellar ).

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 20:38 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

confederate wrote:
I watched a couple of films these past couple of days:

- Underwater ( 2020 ) - Vincent Cassel. What were you thinking ? What you made you decide to take part in this cinematic filth ????? One word: TERRIBLE !!! I did not care about
the characters one bit. They could have died in the first thirty minutes and I would have not wept a single tear. Don't watch this wanna be Abyss clone.

- Rising Sun ( with Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes ) - I think it is a great film but you need to watch it very attentively to fully understand what happened here. Sean Connery was
excellent ( one of his best roles ) and the other cast was decent, too. I liked the score a lot and the cinematography was very pleasing, too. One of the "funniest" scenes was towards
the end when Tia Carrere walked into the conference room and showed a "laserdisc" ( that had the size of a mini CD and could store up to 12 hours of video! ) to everybody in the room.
When she opened the tray of the player you can clearly see it is a laserdisc player! Overall a very intelligent action movie if you may say so. I watched it on Blu-ray and thought the quality
was great.

- Ad Astra - Since I am a huge sci-fi fan and have been kind of let down by a lot of the sci-fi stuff that has been coming out in the last years ( pretentious stuff like Interstellar or annoying films
like The Martian ) I must say that this one was a welcome surprise ! It is not pretentious one bit and features a brilliant performance by Brad Pitt. The film has depth, character and an intriguing
vision of how our colonies on Moon and Mars might look like in the future. I loved the score and cinematography. The story was very interesting and the ending was good ( unlike the ridiculous
ending in Interstellar ).

I actually loved Underwater. It is not a “the abyss” film but more like a successor to deep star six (another film I love). I think along with Life, Underwater was one of the best low budget, out of radar, b-ish movie in the past 10 years.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 21:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You mean Life with Jake Gyllenhall ? I thought it was fantastic!

But Underwater isn’t anywhere near fantastic.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 22:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

confederate wrote:
You mean Life with Jake Gyllenhall ? I thought it was fantastic!

But Underwater isn’t anywhere near fantastic.

Yes that one. I have a soft spot for underwater films and there aren’t many of them. I take you also didn’t like Deep Blue Sea back in the day and Meg recently?

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 07:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, underwater films are actually quite nice. I understand what you mean. I actually like U boat films and I thought that both Hunt for Red October and
Crimson Tode are excellent.

I have never seen Deep Blue Sea ( can't stand LL Cool J ) but I did see the Meg and I thought it was ridiculous.

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 12:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Long Kiss Goodnight, The (1996) [ID3737LI]
Watched this one via a really old LCD projector (garage sale) Panasonic PT-AE100E. I got plenty of the "chicken wire" effect in the visuals. :P

The movie itself is pretty well known. A solid action flick.

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 14:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i remember back in the early/mid-90's, when my Grandma, a total Movie-o-Holic, got hold of a first-print Red-shelled copy of RED OCTOBER.

my mom REALLY wanted that thing; she offered trades, she offered to buy, but grandma simply refused to let it go.

of course, she eventually got rid of it somewhere down the line, never even once attempting to offer it to my mom.

well, Granny, 25/30 years on, and my mom is finally Avenged, -no-thanks-to-you- and i have not one but two variations
of one of those all-too-rare (in the U.S. at least) unusual VHS releases,
and it just so happens to be one of the finest films ever made, to boot;

while i'm about the topic, i've also another of those oddball rarities,
and it also happens to be a delightfully silly, underappreciated gem of a film, at that;

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 02:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

confederate wrote:
Yes, underwater films are actually quite nice. I understand what you mean. I actually like U boat films and I thought that both Hunt for Red October and
Crimson Tode are excellent.

I have never seen Deep Blue Sea ( can't stand LL Cool J ) but I did see the Meg and I thought it was ridiculous.

LL has a small part in Deep Blue Sea. He is not on the cover but Thomas Jane has a large role and he is great as always. These aren’t really great movies but they are great for what they are. They are the modern equivalent of B-movies of the 70s and the 80s (and the 90s). You have to watch them with a certain mindset. If you expect great things you will be disappointed but then again not everybody has to like them. Movies like the Abyss are meant for much larger crowds they take things more seriously (they have much larger production value to allow all this).

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 02:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Watched the Ip Man with Donny Yen last night. I was very impressed. Now I need to find my Blu-ray copy of the Grandmaster from the storage and watch that.

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 03:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

We watched this during the lockdown in New Zealand,
Stopped us chimping out over a few nights,
Had not watched since was teenages.
Still holds up today, well one of them was a bit of a groan..

iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 23:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dug out my Virtual Drug discs this evening to run through my capture setup. I've written about these and other video graphic features extensively on my crappy blog here: http://thecoter.ie/2017/04/08/world-of-cyberdelia/

I hadn't seen these discs for some time so sat down to watch Virtual Drug: Nature's Ecstasy (Flower+Wave). It's pot luck if you can pick up a copy of these discs with both, or at least one pair of the glasses present and intact!

The effects from the refractive glasses combined with the graphics on screen are still remarkable even today. My Ambilight LED television makes these discs even more immersive too! I think I have them all except one that was released on DVD (I have Virtual Drug 2001, it's the other one with the white cover who's name escapes me that I don't have). There is even a Blu Ray Virtual Drug too (see my blog article for more). I also did not realise that Christopher Currell was involved with Nature's Ecstasy Flower+Wave. I thought he left the Virtual Drug project after the second volume, Virtual Drug: Ecstasy. Flower+Wave was the third volume in the series, four in total. Virtual Drug: Flash Zone followed. I have that too on LD. The VHS edition came with an incense burner and incense! I've meant to pick it up for years but just keep letting copies slip by as I have the LD already.

This is what I collect Laserdiscs for. Stuff like this that you just cannot experience anywhere else as most of it is not on better formats. Pick these discs up if you get a chance.

PostPosted: 26 May 2020, 21:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just watch Tucker: The Man and his Dream via Netflix. Picture and sound were very good.

Never seen this one before. It tells the real story about a man called tucker who had the idea of building his own car that would revolutionise the way cars are the designed and built.
It was excellent. Jeff Bridges was fantastic as Tucker and the whole film has a lot of good humour, terrific perfomances and the whole story is just very interesting ( I didn't know how it ended beforehand ).

Yesterday I watched another Netflix produced film from the Netherlands called The Resistance Banker. I love WW II films in general and this one did not disappoint at all !
It won a couple of Dutch film awards and was even selected as the Dutch entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars but wasn't nominated eventually.
It tells an interesting story around the German occupation of the Netherlands during WW II and how a Dutch banker founded an underground bank that would help finance anti-German activities and
the Dutch resistance. Must watch if you are interested in the Second World War.

Now I can't wait to watch the new Greyhound film, another WW II film with Tom Hanks, that was made for cinemas but got bought by Apple for its Apple+ streaming service. I don't have a subscription but I have an iPhone and therefore
am entitled to a 7 days test subscription that I will use once the film gets released on Apple+.

PostPosted: 27 May 2020, 00:13 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

confederate wrote:
Just watch Tucker: The Man and his Dream via Netflix. Picture and sound were very good.

Never seen this one before. It tells the real story about a man called tucker who had the idea of building his own car that would revolutionise the way cars are the designed and built.
It was excellent. Jeff Bridges was fantastic as Tucker and the whole film has a lot of good humour, terrific perfomances and the whole story is just very interesting ( I didn't know how it ended beforehand ).

Yesterday I watched another Netflix produced film from the Netherlands called The Resistance Banker. I love WW II films in general and this one did not disappoint at all !
It won a couple of Dutch film awards and was even selected as the Dutch entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars but wasn't nominated eventually.
It tells an interesting story around the German occupation of the Netherlands during WW II and how a Dutch banker founded an underground bank that would help finance anti-German activities and
the Dutch resistance. Must watch if you are interested in the Second World War.

Now I can't wait to watch the new Greyhound film, another WW II film with Tom Hanks, that was made for cinemas but got bought by Apple for its Apple+ streaming service. I don't have a subscription but I have an iPhone and therefore
am entitled to a 7 days test subscription that I will use once the film gets released on Apple+.

Just wait for the movie to use your 7 day trial. AppleTV+ is pretty bad, not worth any money. All the shows are junk.

Page 41 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 76  Next