It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:01

Page 45 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 12:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
I don't like Jackson's movies. I saw Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles coz my "best friend" was into it. Never got it or loved it though. I tried to show him my prized Animeigo tape of Urusei Yatsura Only You, an absolute masterpiece (Yes, Osshii wasn't always a pretentious idiot) and he mocked it as boring. Philistine!

Disgraceful! On two counts! 1. Bad Taste is amazing! 2. Only You is amazing. I have the 12" OST to it in my vinyl collection too. My favourite Urusei Yatsura film. I too had the Animeigo VHS back in the day. My first import tape alongside Bubblegum Crisis Vol 1.

Semi-agree on the Mamoru Oshii comment, only on the basis that GITS 2: Innocence was self-congratulatory nonsense. The Mick Hucknall of anime. Cannot fault the bloke for Patlabor 1 and 2 and the original Ghost In The Shell, although Shirow Masamune can take a lot of credit there too of course.

forper wrote:
Ted, all those shows sucked so hard.

Appalling! All of those shows (except The Sullivans) are pure Australian gold! National treasures! It's amusing because I've met a lot of great Australian blokes and chicks over the years. All whopper people. Love each and every one of them (except when you are playing sports, you're very competitive! :lol: ). But not one of them professed to loving their soap opera export heritage! Absolutely disgraceful behaviour. Jason Donovan and the chick who played Beth in Neighbours, oh and original Pippa from Home and Away (nobody likes the other Pippa) should be given the freedom of Australia!

I can understand Australian's being mad that we shipped over all our convicts so in turn you gave us Rolf Harris (i jest!) but still, c'mon, 80's and 90's Australian soaps shaped, moulded and built a generation of Europeans! Be proud! :clap: :D

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 12:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The only thing about convicts I'm mad about is that so many non-Australians on the internet think most of Australia is descended from them, the assumption is that you have at least one convict ancestor. Both sides of my family weren't even here during WW2 let alone that far back. A lot of people came here after WW2, before that the population was quite small. It still is a small population compared to the likes of the US and taking into account the size of the country...it's sorta like Canada in that way I guess.

Neighbours etc are just aussie trash, they'll rot your brain :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 13:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:

Never! They're national treasures! :lol:

RE: Convicts. I totally get it. My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. :thumbup: You can keep Rolf Harris though. :lol: :sick:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 14:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Braveheart was way too long for its own good and had a host of issues. That said it's not the worst movie, far from it. I think I gave it around a 7/10 after watching it. Good but not the 9/10 type score I sometimes see for it.

first time i saw BRAVEHEART in like 20 years or so was just a year or two back. personally, i was bored to death by it, YMMV...

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 14:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

trying to watch Lord of the Flies but I can't seem to get into it. I don't remember what the book was like which bothers me. I can't seem to follow names or who is who other piggy.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 18:25 
True fan
True fan

Lol you cant miss Piggy coz hes the fat one. Never thought the film was as good as the book.

Had a friend round for the first time since lockdown. We sat and watched Friday and Rush Hour DTS. We didnt plan on watching two Chris Tucker films back to back, but my mate had never seen either film so I wanted to correct that. Plus we were both in the mood for some light-hearted comedy.

Friday has very good trasfer if not a bit noisy. Not a terrible dolby surround track either. The sounds of 90's rap & RnB fill the soundstage well enough. The database says the disc was released in '98 by technidisc but I dont think thats right. According to this website, technidisc closed its doors on August 12, 1996. Back of my copy says 1995, so might be worth updating the database.

I havent seen Rush hour since I was a teenager. I remember really liking it. I think I recorded a copy onto tape off sky movies. I used to do that a lot back in the day. It was great to experience it again but in DTS. The film really holds up. The picture for this release is top notch and the sound was very good. I forgot how good this movies score is. One of the themes of the movie is East meets West and I think that motif comes across in the score. Not a lot of deep bass on this one but very highly detailed channel seperation. You could tell which direction every sound was coming from. Watching discs like this really makes me want to upgrade my surround sound set up.

Anyway, despite watching almost 3 hours of Chris Tucker, he didnt out-stay his welcome, so me and my friend had a good time!

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 18:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
The only thing about convicts I'm mad about is that so many non-Australians on the internet think most of Australia is descended from them, the assumption is that you have at least one convict ancestor. Both sides of my family weren't even here during WW2 let alone that far back. A lot of people came here after WW2, before that the population was quite small. It still is a small population compared to the likes of the US and taking into account the size of the country...it's sorta like Canada in that way I guess.

:harold:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 19:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

We watched Die Hard yesterday. I see it was released in theaters on July 15. 32 years ago.
In my mind I kinda always thought of it as an Xmas movie. :P

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 19:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My kid and I watch an episode of Knight Rider on the weekends before bed.

We’re up to Season 3 now. April is gone and Bonnie is back. KITT has LEDs on the accelerator pedal, everyone but Mr Miles has new hair. Michael seems to mack chicks less in these episodes, but then he was KDiA every episode in season 1. Awaiting Super Pursuit Mode, the five year old will love it.

Mill Creek’s DVD is frills free...extremely...but not in a bad way. The box is a POS with the discs held in with two sided cards. While this sucks they did list the episode titles on every DVD so in actual use you’ll be able to get the specific episode you need in a hurry. Crappy for sure but still massively less annoying than the packaging on, say, the Futurama OVAs or pretty much any gatefold Digipak that pops louder than a firecracker when the disc comes out.

Video quality is very good, at some point scans were done, this doesn’t look like it came from broadcast tapes at all. So far ZERO extras.

Last edited by signofzeta on 16 Jul 2020, 20:18, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 19:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Interesting. I have the older release. Have you seen any off that? I wonder how they compare. 1-2 episodes a week seems like a really good rate of consumption for Knight Rider.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 20:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think I read on Amazon that the Blu-ray sucks for some reason and that this DVD, which I think is the second one, is the better of the releases. I don’t remember anything about why though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 21:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm almost done with Babylon 5 and it is hard to put into words. I enjoyed it, a lot. It is very ambitious, and the view of the future it presents is turning out to be much more realistic than the hopeful view of Star Trek. The world and characters feel real and good. Many are far from perfect. The last season is probably the worst but I think in it's entirety it is worth watching.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2020, 12:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
I'm almost done with Babylon 5 and it is hard to put into words. I enjoyed it, a lot. It is very ambitious, and the view of the future it presents is turning out to be much more realistic than the hopeful view of Star Trek. The world and characters feel real and good. Many are far from perfect. The last season is probably the worst but I think in it's entirety it is worth watching.

Well season 5 was commissioned on the last minute with all the major storylines already having been tied up at the end of season 4, which left them hardly anything to actually work with.

I'm still mad that Crusade was canceled and we never received an on-screen resolution to its plot.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2020, 14:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Babylon 5 is awesome :D

Just watching some very early episodes of SNL.
A lot of these I've only seen bits of over the years. Just watched John Belushi singing with Joe Cocker :lol: Eric Idle is in that episode too.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2020, 15:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just sat through BUMBLEBEE. despite it's status as a flop, i actually felt it quite good. quite good indeed.

despite being a childhood TRANS FORMERS fan, the last 20 years have done a most effective job of putting me straight off of the franchise.

even so, this BUMBLEBEE film managed to come out of nowhere and reignite the old spark, making me almost feel a kid again.
and for managing a small miracle such as that, i cannot help but give this much maligned box-office bomb the highest possible praise. so kill me...

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2020, 21:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:

Absolutely is. I believe it was your recommendation that pushed me over the edge to finally watch it. It's certainly now a favorite of mine.

tasuke wrote:
just sat through BUMBLEBEE. despite it's status as a flop, i actually felt it quite good. quite good indeed.

despite being a childhood TRANS FORMERS fan, the last 20 years have done a most effective job of putting me straight off of the franchise.

even so, this BUMBLEBEE film managed to come out of nowhere and reignite the old spark, making me almost feel a kid again.
and for managing a small miracle such as that, i cannot help but give this much maligned box-office bomb the highest possible praise. so kill me...

Was it a bomb? I'm seeing where it got almost 500 million at the box office, 91% on RT, 90% liked by google users, 6.8 IMDB. That all seems pretty standard to me. I haven't seen it myself, so I don't really know much about it.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2020, 10:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:

I never had any spark for Transformers. The toys didn't scale AT ALL. I mean Megatron didn't make any sense, Starscream couldn't hold him in gun form like in the cartoon, you could. But that didn't make any sense!!!]

I hated how in the cartoon they would just line up and blast away at each other rarely with any effect. So these were super advanced transformable robots from another planet but they couldn't hit each other, standing still at 50 yards?? WHAT THE FFFFFUUUUCKK?

We never got GI Joe or Rambo the animated series in Australia. My American friend had tapes but GI Joe, despite the funny dialogue, sucked compared to the comic book.

The only "transformer" I had was Jetfire. Coz I knew what he really was...

It was all about Robotech for me. SO far ahead of American cartoons. Lasers had consequences...

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2020, 14:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
deadlegion wrote:

Absolutely is. I believe it was your recommendation that pushed me over the edge to finally watch it. It's certainly now a favorite of mine.

tasuke wrote:

Was it a bomb? I'm seeing where it got almost 500 million at the box office, 91% on RT, 90% liked by google users, 6.8 IMDB. That all seems pretty standard to me. I haven't seen it myself, so I don't really know much about it.

well, for whatever reason, it seemed to be a bomb amongst the hardcore fans.
Go Figure, as it seems just the sort of thing they would be eating right up...

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 14:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just sat through ALTERED STATES, one of the 4 or 5 discs included with my first CLD-3030 back around 2007.
what a trippy, goofy film. quite the Debut for William Hurt.

looked quite good for such an early release, and played back flawlessly...

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/20366/11 ... red-States

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 11:57 
True fan
True fan

I went round a mates last night. We watched Cop (1988) starring James Woods. I'd seen this film before but it was late at night and not really paying proper attention to it. I didn't think that much of it. The second viewing was completely different. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The film is very dark and gritty. Its a mystery/thriller about a cop played by James Woods, who is slowly trying to unravel a case about a serial killer. It was gripping all the way through. The writing is superb and James Woods delivery and acting is mesmerising to watch. The guy is so talented. He makes every scene interesting. The ending is probably one of the best endings in any movie I've ever seen. After such a tense and suspenseful final scene, the final line delivery and subsequent action was a joyous way to end such an entertaining film.

It reminded me of Dirty Harry but grittier if you can believe that. It's a shame this film is so underrated. Anyone else seen it?

Page 45 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 76  Next