It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:43

Page 53 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 20:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Since I just couldn't wait, I also watched Death Machine (1995) (Uncut) [MGLC-94059~60]

teddanson, you should probably pick up a copy, you'd love it :mrgreen: Also I learned the titular killer robot's actual name is "Warbeast".

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 21:56 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth though I wish I had my LaserDisc copies to watch but I just have my blu-ray digibook for DC and VHD for Labyrinth (which my copy wasn't as bad as I thought, able to watch without problems other than a skip on side one toward the end )

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 01:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Warbeast? Damn. I was still hoping he was called Alan (Absurdly Lethal Android Nuclearbastard). :(

Bridges of Madison County is an exceptional film too. I watched it years ago on telly or something. Film 4 perhaps? Loved it so much I went and bought the DVD the very next day. Still have it too. Whopper film.

Watched Sky Riders on Sunday afternoon. That was excellent! It's a bit urgent for a film rated PG too! Some whopper stunts in it. It's a proper Sunday afternoon film while doing the ironing. Or sitting on the couch after a big Sunday lunch with your belly out in agony because you ate too much type of film.

Highly recommended. :thumbup:

EDIT: Interestingly there's a review here that also recommends Sky Riders for Sunday afternoon viewing.

https://psychotroniccinema.com/2017/05/ ... ky-riders/

So there you have it. If you are going to watch Sky Riders then ONLY watch it on a Sunday afternoon for maxium awesome. :thumbup:

(Get the Blu Ray too, it's a great version)

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 13:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

teddanson wrote:

Bridges of Madison County is an exceptional film too. I watched it years ago on telly or something. Film 4 perhaps? Loved it so much I went and bought the DVD the very next day. Still have it too. Whopper film.

I just think that Meryl Streep is the best actress of all times. She is an exceptional actress and I love everything she is in. I also watched Silkwood ( excellent stuff )
and a lesser known film with Robert de Niro called "Falling in Love" last week. Excellent!!!

Bridges of Madison County simply made me cry the whole evening. It is such a sad story.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 14:00 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I just have to say there are no bridges in Madison County (the real place) I have family there.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 14:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
I just have to say there are no bridges in Madison County (the real place) I have family there.

:wtf:

EDIT: Hey now hang on a second! :think:

http://www.madisoncounty.com/the-covered-bridges/

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 17:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:

That is simply not true at all. Maybe your family lives in a different Madison County ? -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_County

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseman_Covered_Bridge

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 18:08 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

you got me. I never knew it was in Iowa and I only know one county in KY. Always assumed though know I should watch and read the book.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 20:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:
you got me. I never knew it was in Iowa and I only know one county in KY. Always assumed though know I should watch and read the book.

I thought so :)

Just finished another film with Meryl Streep - Marvin's Room. Excellent. Diane Keaton should have gotten the oscar for her role. Such a touching film. The last scene brought
tears to my eyes - but in a positive way. Has a lot of good humour in it and it ends with a positive touch even though the protagonist's overall outlook is grim.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 01:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Tenet this evening in sexually explicit 4K High Density Radiumvision. Thoroughly enjoyed it. More than Inception which I saw years ago in the cinema and managed to pick half the arm of my chair away during the run time I was that bored.

Telnet was whopper. Easy to grasp. Thumping score. Decent cast, especially Kenneth Bran Flakes.

I just wish to God someone would teach Mr. Nolan how to use a mixing desk. Everyone in the film sounded like the school teacher from Charlie Brown.

WAH WAH WAAAAHH WA WA WAHHH WA WAAWA WAA.

:crazy:

Whopper film though. It left me satisfied, then about 20 minutes later I started asking myself questions about altering time fabric, paradoxes and inverted entropy. Had to stop myself going mad.

Tennants is only bested by Carlsberg Back To The Future Part II, where it's always morning in America. Even in the after-n-n-noon! Ah-ha-ha ha.... etc :thumbup:

That's actually both a great joke and a brilliant fact too. Sure when it's afternoon Eastern, Pacific and the other time zone noone remembers, it's still morning in Hawaii (I think?). And when it's afternoon in Hawaii, it's still morning in Palmyra Atoll!

Neil Tennant needs a couple more viewings as I noticed loads of little things in the background that need further examination. Great film. :thumbup:

Actually, come to think of it, Technet is just a high brow version of Bill and Ted. I really don't understand all the YouTube pant-wetting and nipple wrangling over it. Cracked codes! Reactions! People crying from brain freeze! Eating from the discarded carcasses of badgers and then liberally dousing themselves in Steve Davis Pot Black cologne before setting fire to their eyeballs in disgust at Mr. Nolan's fiendish, complex fillums. One utter helmet sat and made a video outlining the entire timeline of the whole thing. Christ on a bike. :crazy:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020, 11:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I just watched Tenet myself.
I have to say overall I didn't think much of it, maybe because I've seen people raving about how great it is so I went in with high hopes... never a good thing imo.
Admittedly at the start I was enjoying it, but after a while what was unfolding became mostly predictable.

Edit:
Monsters of Man (2020)
Pretty sure this is low budget (idk ), but it was kinda ok. Some really terrible acting but I wasn't expecting much tbh. The effects aren't terrible.
Usually films like this are short but this one is over 2 hours :shock:

Killer robots - check
Fat American neckbeard tech complainer - check
Ex military good guy - check
Evil military brass with familiar face - check

Another film I saw recently is Dune Drifter (2020).
Very low budget (maybe it was zero). Effects looked very dated. I noticed some guns were repainted Nerf's (maybe all of them but I really don't want to watch this again to check that :lol: ).

Breach (2020) :thumbdown:
Another crappy sci-fi film, CGI in this isn't great. Bruce Willis is in it, but like some of his other recent films I suspect he turned up one day and shot all his lines in one go (I could say scenes but pretty sure there's a stunt double in there).
Most of the budget of the film was probably spent getting him involved.

Honestly don't know why Bruce does cheap films like this. He isn't broke like Nic Cage afaik.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2020, 00:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Inhumaine, L' (1924) [PCLP-00071]

This is a very interesting one, I think I made a typo and this may be some type of re-showing or restoration from 1986 not 1987.

They do have this on bluray but since I'm against owning any bluray I opted for the LD, they do also have a bluray/DVD combo from europe.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2020, 18:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Doing a silent movie stint, silent move night LOL.

Just watched:20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1916) [ID8571DS]

Seems to have had 2 stories put into one, have the book but have not read it yet.
Has 20,000 and Mysterious Island in one.

Sort of slow at some areas but this is also due to the underwater scenes which were amazing at the time but old hat now to us.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2020, 22:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Slowly working my way through the Planet of the Apes box set. Just watched Conquest, which is probably the #1 offender on giving me this kind of love-hate relationship I have with these movies. I admire it for it's ability to get me emotionally invested, I just don't particularly like those emotions.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 00:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
Slowly working my way through the Planet of the Apes box set. Just watched Conquest, which is probably the #1 offender on giving me this kind of love-hate relationship I have with these movies. I admire it for it's ability to get me emotionally invested, I just don't particularly like those emotions.

yeah, kind of funny that this film is almost 50 years old and still dealing with the same BS.
Even when you read some books that are over 200+ years old the same BS is going on.
Makes you wonder what the real deal is...............

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2020, 10:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I watched THE Xmas film of all Xmas films out there last night: Die Hard. Die Hard and Predator are simply the best action movies ever made. Period. ( Same director ! )
I watched this film on DVD ( Japan Die Hard Ultimate Edition ) upscaled to 4K on my Benq 4K projector. This is an excellent release with both excellent picture quality and
dts sound track. Sure a Blu Ray disc or a 4K disc would look better but a very good DVD upscaled to 4K on a good player looks good enough to me.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2020, 11:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:

We watched the Jap box set during the New Zealand Virus lockdown,
I barely remembered them and my wife who is younger had never seen.
Beneath the Planet of the Apes is a groan at times but overall we really did enjoy.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2020, 13:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Conquest is probably the most painfully "70s sci-fi" of them all. Black turtlenecks everywhere!

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2020, 14:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Conquest is probably the most painfully "70s sci-fi" of them all. Black turtlenecks everywhere!

That sounds more like an Apple product launch.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2020, 15:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

That sounds more like an Apple product launch.

Well it's a depressing dystopia either way.

Page 53 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 76  Next