It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:33

Page 57 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 16:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

the Brits sure had to deal with a whole lot of pure BS back then... no wonder their Televised media comes across as so flat-out Wonky.

then again, much of it honestly still is quite goofy to this day... so, perhaps it's simply a Cultural thing.

that said, i'm like three/four discs into SPACE;1999 season 1 now... and the damned show just keeps getting crazier all the time, often quite humorously so.

perhaps, had i have been a 70's kid, i might have stood some sort of chance of taking it halfway seriously, i guess?

however, as it actually stands, it is all just to Gosh-Darned Wacky for words to fully convey,
and easily one of the most amusingly wildly screwed-up T.V. series i've yet seen, and worth every penny for it...

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 17:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tasuke wrote:
the Brits sure had to deal with a whole lot of pure BS back then... no wonder their Televised media comes across as so flat-out Wonky.

Yes but we had many real gems among the dross, a few truly brilliant programmes & series.... to many to name.

One 1960s series that stands out for me is The Prisoner which still holds up very well today. Loved by some, hated by others but hard to ignore.

Going to re-watch I, Claudius soon. A series that I have not seen for what must be 30 years but I do remember it well. I picked up the BBC DVD set new from a supermarket clearance sale for only a few pounds & could not pass it up.

Enjoy the Space 1999s, don't think I could sit through many of them now & the second series was just too naff for me.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 19:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

As someone who watched Flying Circus totally in the US and totally b/w back in the day I can assure you...it would have been not so bad. The BBC has generated innumerable iron clad classics over the years. If you need more programming that what the BBC can provide you watch too much TV.

Also, Channel 4, ITV, even Sky (for sports) because they have to compete with the BBC they do great things as well. Now, ALL these channels make crap as well, don’t get me wrong for a second.

My favorite British TV show in recent years has been Toast of London. That thing is a masterwork, I don’t care if they make another season because I feel blessed with what they have already made.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 22:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:

My favorite British TV show in recent years has been Toast of London. That thing is a masterwork, I don’t care if they make another season because I feel blessed with what they have already made.

You shut the f#ck up Clem Fandango! And your made up name!

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2021, 00:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

“...and you! With your WWI facial hair...and your sister’s clothes!”

The names...oh man, the names. Roger Ebert once said that the first rule of funny names is that there are no funny names. I totally disagree. This show is like the antidote to a Bond movie. More funny names, all way funnier...even Heathcock Pursuit!

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2021, 01:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Clear exaggeration by Ebert. If you're trying to make a funny movie, leave no stone unturned!

Some of my favorite funny names from movies/shows:
Slartibartfast
Dr. "Frahnk-en-steen"
"Eye-gor"
President Skroob
Gaylord Focker
Biggus Dickus
Tim

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2021, 01:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Biggus Dickus & wife Incontinentia Buttocks.

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2021, 02:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
Clear exaggeration by Ebert. If you're trying to make a funny movie, leave no stone unturned!

Some of my favorite funny names from movies/shows:
Slartibartfast
Dr. "Frahnk-en-steen"
"Eye-gor"
President Skroob
Gaylord Focker
Biggus Dickus
Tim

Colonel Bat Guano
General Jack D Ripper

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2021, 22:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Last night I watched La Strada #29 (1954) [CC1129L]. Somehow I hadn’t seen this movie before even though it’s super famous and I’ve owned it for nearly a decade. I’ve never seen a more compelling movie. I was totally transfixed for the last half hour, more in my seat than I have been with any movie in my life. I give it my highest recommendation: watch it as soon as you get a chance or don’t talk to me ever again. :)

These are the movies we sacrificed to make superhero garbage and Star Wars/Transformers sequels that make most of their money from hate watchers and the Chinese. Never forget this. I realize that movies like his can be made today by individuals but this was not an individual effort. This was a multinational movie that won (inaugural) Best Foreign Language Film. Nobody is throwing serious weight around anymore at all when it comes to drama that isn’t blatant Oscar bait or comedy aimed at people with above average IQ.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2021, 21:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Last night I decided to continue a trend of emotional b/w movies with subtitles by viewing Wings of Desire (1987) [ID6635OR].

This is one of my favorite movies and every time I see it I get more from it. At this point in my life my favorite part about it is the way people who have known each other all their lives meet for the first time...if you know the movie, you know what I’m referring to. “I can’t see you, but I know you’re here.” As an aging hippie who has longed to see human interaction move to the level of “seeing each other with no misconceptions” it’s nice to at least see it depicted in fantasy...so we can maybe be inspired to work more towards it.

All of the principle characters give a wonderful performance, most have since left us, it seems like another one every time I watch this movie...Ganz just last year. To make a third movie in the series only the director and Nick Cave would be available, most of the other mains have joined Cassiel in heaven...correct me on that if I’m wrong.

This disc pretty much sucks, like many in the Cinemadisc collection. The sound is very good (Dolby Surround) and the subtitles are just how I like them (large and yellow) but it’s not wide and the color is very lame (film alternates between color and b/w but is mostly b/w so mostly OK). Side three has mild rot, and I’ll have to check but I think this is also true of my copy of High and Low (Cinemadisc) and both have one of those weird opaque white side 4s. Coincidence?

Verdict: if this movie doesn’t move you, you’ve never been in love and probably will not be. Buy the Bluray or at least an import because this disc is the worse 1998 (!?!) had to offer LD-wise.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2021, 23:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finally got around to watching that Flash Gordon blu-ray I got last summer and has just been sitting on my shelf ever since.

I'm actually wondering why I only ever watched it once when I had the DVD because the movie is a real blast, never a boring moment in it.

I'm sure it has to do with that horrid unskippable anti-piracy PSA that plays every time you insert the disc - which has now finally been made completely redundant since the blu-ray brings back the Brian Blessed commentary track.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2021, 23:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've had 2 of those cinemadisc collection discs, one is a 2 disc and plays fine, can't remember if there is a white side.
Other is a single disc and had medium rot on one of the sides, not a biggie as I picked it up for a quarter years ago and just wanted to watch the film.

Flash Gordon, wasn't there an issue with the film on DVD having too much noise reduction or something???
Love that film but since to me its like any of those films that will never be forgotten on any format so what's the sense of buying multiple copies.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2021, 01:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Flash Gordon, wasn't there an issue with the film on DVD having too much noise reduction or something???
Love that film but since to me its like any of those films that will never be forgotten on any format so what's the sense of buying multiple copies.

I haven't the foggiest. I literally have not watched the DVD since I got it, and that was back in 2005 or whenever that DVD came out.

Really wish I had the equipment to watch the 4K version with, because if there's one movie that I want to see with HDR it'd probably be this one.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2021, 02:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't really know why it was panned when it came out, if anybody actually read the strip from the 30-40s or seen the serials then they would have known what it was
they were getting into.

Loved how colorful it was, its sort of fun to watch now over the darker muted colors of the super hero comic films now.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2021, 03:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just watched The Court Jester, which took a long time to get on blu-ray for some reason (the transfer is excellent, though!). Great fun, and has maybe the funniest exchange of wordplay in any movie, the "vessel with the pestle" scene.

One thing that stuck with me when I first saw it at around five years old was a line at the end of Danny Kaye's introductory number during the credits: "What starts like a scary tale ends like a fairy tale." That was an especially nice touch for the children in the audience who can't necessarily tell a silly movie from a serious one yet - a sort of contract that no matter how much trouble and danger the heroes may get into, there's going to be a happy ending, so it's safe to stay and watch.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2021, 09:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rcarlson wrote:
Just watched The Court Jester, which took a long time to get on blu-ray for some reason (the transfer is excellent, though!). Great fun, and has maybe the funniest exchange of wordplay in any movie, the "vessel with the pestle" scene.

One thing that stuck with me when I first saw it at around five years old was a line at the end of Danny Kaye's introductory number during the credits: "What starts like a scary tale ends like a fairy tale." That was an especially nice touch for the children in the audience who can't necessarily tell a silly movie from a serious one yet - a sort of contract that no matter how much trouble and danger the heroes may get into, there's going to be a happy ending, so it's safe to stay and watch.

I agree. The intro is pretty special.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2021, 04:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Re-watched Top Gun: Special Collection (1986) [SF120-1480] last night. The transfer is surprisingly dirty for such a recent film, but I'm guessing the full frame version wasn't that well looked after. It's not completely unwatchable of course, far from it, and personally I kind of like it; I'd rather take dirt and scratches over plasticine DVNR anytime.

While it was shot in Super 35, some shots still look rather cramped; the shot of Tom Cruise speeding away from the camera next to a landing strip looks like it might as well be pan & scan.

I also spotted an error in the index at the end of side 4; it says the gallery starts at frame 44148, but it's actually 44150.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2021, 16:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I also spotted an error in the index at the end of side 4; it says the gallery starts at frame 44148, but it's actually 44150.

Those two frames matter!!

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 22:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

After Teddanson posted about Le Mans and over the week I saw the last half of Ford v Ferrari I am spinning Le Mans (1971) [7156-85]

Anybody else think Ford v Ferrari had the look of a video game or more computer generated than needed??????

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 02:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed "The Adjustment Bureau" based on the Phillip K. Dick novel "The Adjustment Team'"

Epic movie, check it !

Page 57 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 76  Next