It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:25

Page 61 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 02:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Prince of Darkness is the true underrated gem of John Carpenter.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 11:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That final scene where Childs and McCready are sitting around the flaming ruins of the base got to me as a kid.
Who ends a movie like that ?
I recall wondering that exactly at the time.

Ate up as much JC as I could after that.

Assault on Precinct 13 is another one of my all time favs.
Do believe I am going to go ham on John Carpenter movies this spring....
Been awhile.....

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2021, 17:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Gottverdammt, Studio Canal.

Watched their new 4K restoration of Total Recall the other day. There's a pretty noticeable audio flub near the end of the movie when Arnie & co escape from the mindwipe machines, one of the scientists hits an alarm button but there's no sound. What makes it worse is that the stereo track is just a downmix so they both have the missing foley, and you can still hear it on the dub tracks! :x

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 19:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finally got around to watching Godzilla (1998) [TLL 2551]

Man, that was bad. I mean, the LD is great, but the movie's a colossal stinker. Not even Jean Reno could save this one.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 20:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Been on a DVD binge.
Due to this topic watched The Thing, always a great one.
Now watching theatrical version of Apocalypse now, amazing one liners in this one, Charlie don't surf, cold rice and rat meat. WOW what a crazy classic film.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 14:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Thing is cool, have to watch that again sometime soon

Apocalypse Now is an experience for sure but a poor war movie imo

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 15:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think I like that more about it, not so much the war film aspect but its just an experience.

Picked up some other DVDs and will be watching Maximum Overdrive later today or tomorrow, and Army of Darkness, haven't seen it since I sold off the LD.
Was streaming John Wick 2, fun junk film.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 23:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ticked off my second Sartana film from the Blu box set. This time round it's the first film, If You Meet Sartana Pray For Your Death.

Oh boy, this film has more double crossing in it than The Cassandra Crossing and the World Tic Tac Toe Championships!

Although not quite as gripping as Trade Your Pistol For A Coffin, the film still delivers pure Sartana goodness in spades. Lots of action, lots of scheming and scamming, and a bunch of great set pieces including some great work with the horses.

Apparently the film grossed 30 million Lira in the first 9 days (approx €60m including Lira to Euro conversion and inflation) when it premiered in Italy. The premiere in Rome apparently had a Western set and stagecoach etc purpose built for the occasion!

Trade Your Pistol For A Coffin is still top dog, will it be toppled?

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 08:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice, was it released in English? Good soundtrack?

Reino, I consider The Deer Hunter a good companion to Apocalypse Now, complete Vietnam fantasy but an experience. I'm biased, I love war movies and was insulted when someone recommended Apocalypse Now to me as a "good war movie"..Some actually good Vietnam WAR movies to me is stuff like We Were Soldiers or Hamburger Hill.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 13:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Nice, was it released in English? Good soundtrack?

Not sure if you were referring to the Sartana films, but just in case yes the discs have the original Italian tracks and also English dub tracks.

4 of the 5 films in the set are from original camera negatives. The first film is from a 35mm print and is not in great shape. I can only assume the original negative is either perished or lost. It's still very good quality though.

Best way to go about getting these is to buy the Arrow box set. Maybe watch them in order, which is what I am doing now. Or try the third film, Trade Your Pistol For A Coffin if you just want the badassness straight away!

Might watch the second film in the series later on today. The only person more badass than Chuck Norris, apart from Wilford Brimley in Cocoon, or Mario Marola in that Napoli film I saw recently, is Sartana. He's just awesome. :clap:

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 23:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've always wanted to get more into Spaghetti Westerns. I just remember Once Upon a Time in the West being so good the best Western I'd seen beside Wild Bunch.

Thanks for the recommendations, I have to go on a buying hiatus for a while, spent way too much money the last couple of months on media and hardware.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 01:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The ones that I really like are some of the classics, Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Fistful of Dynamite, Once Upon a Time in the West are always classics.

The others I like and have on LD are:
Bullet For the General, A (1967) [SF047-1772]
J & S: Criminal Story of an Outlaw Couple (1972) [BELL-904]

Also really liked My Name is Nobody.

Haven't heard of the Sartana until Ted posted and do want to check them out.
Other stuff I've seen but after a while they are like Samurai or Kung Fu films, only a handful are superb and the rest are fun but not amazing to me.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 02:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning Guys,

Time now in the UK is: 02:40 am

I hope you are all well and taking good care of yourselves.

Of late I have been watching an old UK TV Series called ''BLACK BOOKS'' Give it a watch sometime.

Last night / early hours into the morning I watched the New 4K Transfer extended edition of The Lord Of The Rings ''Return Of The King''

The Steel Tin Box Collectors set is a joy to own, and am now waiting to purchase ''The Hobbit trilogy''

These 4K Transfers are a noticeable improvement.

Kindest Regards to all

:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 23:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Another Sartana film chalked off the list. Tonight was the turn of I Am Sartana Your Angel Of Death.

This one was a strange, but very enjoyable cocktail of action and badassness. At times it plays out a little like Rambo First Blood. Then it lulls for a bit as the story unfolds and your head struggles to cope with all the double crossing!

Some storyline elements from the first film appear here so going by what I said after watching the first film, I would watch the 5 official films in order. Also, the negative scans for each film were carried out by Arrow so exclusive to the box set.

The film is a slow burner during the middle part, but turns up the heat for the final 25 minutes to a whopper climax. It's not my favourite of the three films I've seen out of the five so far, but it's still good.

Three films down, two to go!

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2021, 23:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Another night another film in the Sartana box set ticked off the list.

This time it's the 4th film in the series:

Have A Good Funeral My Friend... Sartana Will Pay.

This one sees Gianni Garko return as the main man after his hiatus from the third film. You'll definitely want to have watched the films in order as there are references to the earlier films and also some characters return.

For this outing I noticed in the credits, and I didn't spot this from the third film, Stelvio Massi (who directed one of my favourite films of all time and one of the rarest, if not the rarest VHS tapes I own, Speed Driver) is in charge of cinematography. This explains why the third and fourth films look so glorious! There's a superb score here by Bruno Nicolai too.

It's another slow burner, like the second film. But it doesn't tone down the fun with outrageous violence, set pieces, magic tricks and all that lovely double crossing! One scene in particular around 25 minutes in is just so outrageous I nearly spat my tea out!

One thing I didn't like is that Gianni Garko is sporting a blonde tache in this one. He looks more like the man from Del Monte than Sartana and it takes a bit if getting used to. Oddly enough the blonde is his natural colour. I couldn't accept it and it bugged me for the whole film.

The third film imho is still top dog but this film is a very solid second place. I'm sad to be left with just one film in the box to complete the set.

Four down, one to go!

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 01:29 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Aladdin(2019) - I had low expectations but I actually liked it a lot. Will Smith did a good job.
Dumbo (2019) - I didn’t like it a lot. It was ok at best.
The Host (2013) - The Twilight Saga’s author wrote the book so I had low expectations. It was very watchable. It was entertaining enough.
Upgrade (2018) - This was an excellent sci-fi. I recommend to everyone who likes sci-fi.
Captive State (2019) - It was slow paced and boring (and I don’t mind that normally). It wasn’t engaging to me.
Anna(2019) - Luc Besson film - I liked it. It wasn’t great but well made action. A solid 3 and a half stars.
Iron Mask(2019) - Jackie Chan and Arnold on the cover - I had to watch it. I enjoyed the first half a lot. Probably a silly movie but if you like these actors, you won’t hate the film all that much.
Hidden Figures (2016) - This was a good movie. A little exaggeration but it probably was necessary for the mood of the film.
FreeJack(1992) - Silly film but loved it. I love these 80s and 90s cheesy sci-fi.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 02:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
The ones that I really like are some of the classics, Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Fistful of Dynamite, Once Upon a Time in the West are always classics.

Other stuff I've seen but after a while they are like Samurai or Kung Fu films, only a handful are superb and the rest are fun but not amazing to me.

Fist Full of Dynamite (aka: Duck You Sucker) is amazing. It makes the Dollars movies look like a commercial or a music video or something.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 08:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Fist Full of Dynamite (aka: Duck You Sucker) is amazing. It makes the Dollars movies look like a commercial or a music video or something.

Zeta, do you have Duck you sucker on LD? Curious if its a good. Poor transfer or good? This film has been on my watchlist.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 17:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had the second release Fistful of Dynamite on LD and it was an amazing transfer, but I did swap it for a copy of the DVD due to my collecting habits changing
of which films I want to wear down the LD player with and which I don't mind.

The DVD was really close to my eyes etc that I couldn't tell the difference but it is tops.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 00:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finished off the Sartana box set with the fifth and final official Sartana film.

Light The Fuse...Sartana Is Coming!

What a finale! This is another slowish burner that has more twists and turns than a Bolivian mountain road. Heaps of double crossing, a body count in the trillions and all manner of wild stunts, shootouts and gadgetry!

It's probably the most over the top entry in the official Sartana series imho. It's certainly my favourite Gianni Garko entry. I would rank it alongside the third film as joint favourite films, I don't think I could choose between them.

The climax of the film has to be seen to be believed!

I loved every minute of this film. I'm just sad now that I've run out of Sartana goodness. I don't quite know how I'm going to cope. :cry:

Please buy the Arrow box set. You will have lots of fun!

Page 61 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 76  Next