It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 12:32




 Page 19 of 20 [ 383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019, 17:43 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 3874
Location: United States
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 238 times
LD+G is for non English speakers who want to watch movies in English OR English speakers hard of hearing trapped in Japan or HK in the 90s when nothing had captions or subtitles. I think a lot of us have puzzled over why it was ever developed in the first place. I can’t think of any use for it at all but then I’m in the US and all my TVs have CC decoders.

It really is a parallel path for CCs. Therefore if you don’t use CCs you won’t use LD+G.

IIRC, someone mentioned that had something LD+G that wasn’t English. I don’t remember what I’d was though.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019, 17:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1121
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 71 times
signofzeta wrote:
LD+G is for non English speakers who want to watch movies in English OR English speakers hard of hearing trapped in Japan or HK in the 90s when nothing had captions or subtitles. I think a lot of us have puzzled over why it was ever developed in the first place. I can’t think of any use for it at all but then I’m in the US and all my TVs have CC decoders.

If I remember correctly, LD+G supports multiple subtitle streams, which would definitely provide an immense benefit over CC which offers only one. However, I haven't heard of any release that'd actually have more than one. The database entry for the Ghost in the Shell box set says it has subtitles in both English AND Japanese, and I'm guessing the CC stream is the Japanese one.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019, 18:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 5959
Location: United States
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 159 times
Oh you are asking a lot :lol:

I know the CC was English, the LDG had English but a different style and also Japanese for GITS.

Gypsy has it and can tell us about the CC if I remember correctly about it but I no longer own it, its a great box to have in the collection.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019, 21:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2006, 21:20
Posts: 1607
Location: United States
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Funny I've yet watch my copy of the box but now it's in storage. maybe next year.
_________________
DVD&BDs | LD/DVHS Collection | Criterion
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019, 23:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 976
Location: United States
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 56 times
rein-o wrote:
Oh you are asking a lot :lol:

I know the CC was English, the LDG had English but a different style and also Japanese for GITS.

Gypsy has it and can tell us about the CC if I remember correctly about it but I no longer own it, its a great box to have in the collection.


I couldn't tell you about the LDG but it definitely has CC.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 00:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2016, 16:42
Posts: 217
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 14 times
It's just an interesting item to have, I got it because it was not expensive.

I will only be able to use it when I get a player with optical out.
_________________
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqIv0_dV3_pjvruObJcukOw
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 01:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 736
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 51 times
signofzeta wrote:
IIRC, someone mentioned that had something LD+G that wasn’t English. I don’t remember what I’d was though.


There may be others but this one - F-1 Grand Prix 1992 Special: Japanese GP, Honda Last Run Suzuka (1992) PILW-1103 - might be the one mentioned before, a useful bit from the additional info bit below.

Disc 1: 1992 Japanese Grand Prix, LD-G and multi-audio (sound from track in digital, narration in analog)
Disc 2: Honda Last Run Suzuka, no LD-G, partly mono
Rare case of LD-G in Japanese: info about track, drivers, teams etc... on several lines.


Cheers

.
_________________
Everything you think here is in the strictest confidence.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 16:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1121
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 71 times
Just got these two.

Image

I actually bid on Star Crystal thinking it was the 1986 Alien ripoff, but turns out it's some other sci-fi movie entirely with the same title. Both have a similarly low IMDB score so this should be a blast.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 17:08 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 3874
Location: United States
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 238 times
je280 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
IIRC, someone mentioned that had something LD+G that wasn’t English. I don’t remember what I’d was though.


There may be others but this one - F-1 Grand Prix 1992 Special: Japanese GP, Honda Last Run Suzuka (1992) PILW-1103 - might be the one mentioned before, a useful bit from the additional info bit below.

Disc 1: 1992 Japanese Grand Prix, LD-G and multi-audio (sound from track in digital, narration in analog)
Disc 2: Honda Last Run Suzuka, no LD-G, partly mono
Rare case of LD-G in Japanese: info about track, drivers, teams etc... on several lines.


Cheers

.


That’s the one I was thinking of, I’m pretty sure.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 09:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 19:23
Posts: 1015
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 19 times
I finally picked up the USA widescreen edition of Keep, The (1983) [LV 1563-WS]. I'd seen the film several times before, including recently on 35mm, and I'm glad to have this laserdisc in my collection at last. Considering how often it comes up in conversation I'm surprised I'd never heard how bad the transfer is on this disc. I'm glad I didn't pay anywhere near as high a price as most people demand on eBay for this title. Fingers crossed for a decent restoration some day.
_________________
Pioneer DVL-919E, Onkyo TX-NR626, LG C8 OLED.
My Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 10:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 736
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 51 times
wrote:
I finally picked up the USA widescreen edition of Keep, The (1983) [LV 1563-WS]. I'd seen the film several times before, including recently on 35mm, and I'm glad to have this laserdisc in my collection at last. Considering how often it comes up in conversation I'm surprised I'd never heard how bad the transfer is on this disc. I'm glad I didn't pay anywhere near as high a price as most people demand on eBay for this title. Fingers crossed for a decent restoration some day.


Hi hippiedalek,

a sought after LD & the widescreen US copy you have is the best one on LD, the earlier US & Japanese '80s releases were pan & scan & the transfers were very soft indeed if memory serves me though the latter one is not that sharp either.

Well done in bagging one at a reasonable price though, some copies go quite high & of course some sellers put them on at highly optimistic start or buy-now prices.

Enjoy.

Cheers
_________________
Everything you think here is in the strictest confidence.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 19:30 
Third post and above
Third post and above
User avatar

Joined: 25 Sep 2019, 00:14
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
All TV's in the last 10 years by law. Must have CC on them.
1. You must turn it on.
If you are going through a cable box. You may need to turn it on, on the cable box.
But I have run into a few that don't have a CC decode set up in them.
Then you need to get a decode CC box. I have one on my Cart Projector.
Does the job.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 21:03 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3063
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 53 times
takeshi666 wrote:
Just got these two.

Image

I actually bid on Star Crystal thinking it was the 1986 Alien ripoff, but turns out it's some other sci-fi movie entirely with the same title. Both have a similarly low IMDB score so this should be a blast.


Star Crystal looks dope!
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 21:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1121
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 71 times
substance wrote:
Star Crystal looks dope!

Wish I could say the same for the movie :mrgreen:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2019, 04:38 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3063
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 53 times
takeshi666 wrote:
substance wrote:
Star Crystal looks dope!

Wish I could say the same for the movie :mrgreen:



I love those movies that are so bad so they are good.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2019, 14:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 976
Location: United States
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 56 times
substance wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
substance wrote:
Star Crystal looks dope!

Wish I could say the same for the movie :mrgreen:



I love those movies that are so bad so they are good.


I'm planning to get Santa With Muscles soon. Seems to fit this bill.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2019, 16:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1121
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 71 times
substance wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
substance wrote:
Star Crystal looks dope!

Wish I could say the same for the movie :mrgreen:



I love those movies that are so bad so they are good.

I probably need to re-watch it a few more times to fully appreciate it's badness, but after the first viewing it wasn't even close to the trainwreck that the 1986 movie was. The fact that they got Sam Raimi in the movie only to kill him off in the first 12 minutes gave me some Dusk Till Dawn 2 vibes.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2019, 23:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 13:27
Posts: 529
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
First in a year or so - Sister Act, the NTSC disc.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 08:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2019, 06:17
Posts: 90
Location: New Zealand
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Finally found nice clean copy of Mortal Kombat and Star Wars: Episode 1,
Looking forward to seeing if Mortal Kombat is as awesome as i remember and if Episode 1 LD quality is as great as everyone raves about
_________________
_________________
Down In QuakeCity New Zealand.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2019, 09:40 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2019, 09:10
Posts: 9
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Out of the Rain, from this site.
Good, old fashioned flick, basically the quality I hoped.
Spectacular PQ and the copy itself is archive worthy without a speck on the image.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 19 of 20 [ 383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: