It is currently 02 Aug 2021, 09:12




 Page 5 of 9 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2020, 04:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3311
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 180 times
superemail wrote:
therussian wrote:
@substance

In my book canceling physical media is depriving people of a legal fair way of owning a copy.


Technically you never own a movie, you just own the right to play it unlimited amount of times during the lifetime of your physical disc. The lifetime of a digital purchase on i.e. Amazon would probably be "untill they don't have it anymore" in ther library.

I rather pay for a digital rental than buying digital, as the life time expectancy feels very uncertain with a digital purchase.

Please lord, let us have physical media, and may our discs not rot :-)



I have a few movies that I bought on digital(Vudu) more than 10 years ago. They are no longer available to buy or rent on digital however I can still see them in my library and watch them on all streaming devices. What’s more interesting is that these movies also show up on my Amazon prime, YouTube premium, Apple TV and MoviesAnywhere accounts (because MoviesAnywhere links most streaming services). So I guess once you purchase a digital movie and they lose the rights of that title, they still make it available for you to view it.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 13:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jun 2014, 07:12
Posts: 550
Location: France
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 27 times
VHS is inmortal but you still dont know


Attachments:
MV5BZThiYmQzZjMtZmVkOC00NWQ3LTk2MDctYTlkYmM1ZWM2ZWY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyNDQ2NjI@._V1_.jpg
MV5BZThiYmQzZjMtZmVkOC00NWQ3LTk2MDctYTlkYmM1ZWM2ZWY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyNDQ2NjI@._V1_.jpg [ 65.1 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 14:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 25 Sep 2019, 00:14
Posts: 46
Location: United States
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times
This is just one more reason why I keep all my VHS tapes. LaserDisc. Ect all.
:angel:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 14:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 03 Aug 2013, 17:32
Posts: 1451
Location: OREGON, U.S.
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 95 times
for one, it's all-but-guaranteed that Home Video playback devices anything remotely at all like these
will never be made again, for good, for bad, or for otherwise;


Image

Image
_________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 11:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 25 Sep 2019, 00:14
Posts: 46
Location: United States
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times
Cool stuff. And this is just why I keep all my old VHS/LaserDisc. Players. Movies.
In the years to come. I can just see it.
Hay! Want to come over and watch a VHS Movie.
And you get. A VHS What? ha! ha!. Sad by true!
Yes, I have new stuff. 4K 55 Inch TV. 4K Blu-Ray player and all that.
With Hulu, Netflix,Amazon & CBS all access.
But I have a great fun time with the old stuff.
And the new stuff made today is so cheap. It falls apart in no time.
My two LaserDisc players are over 30 years old. And still going.
Now I need to get my Home theater with my 8FT wide X 4Ft high screen.
Going again.
Fun time work is coming again.
Time to start looking for a projector.


Last edited by kone4 on 31 Dec 2020, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 21:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3311
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 180 times
I am sorry but VHS is real junk and totally unwatchable in this day and age. We are not here discussing our attachment to nostalgia but access to (new) content in its best possible representation.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 19:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 02:37
Posts: 686
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 42 times
substance wrote:
I am sorry but VHS is real junk and totally unwatchable in this day and age. We are not here discussing our attachment to nostalgia but access to (new) content in its best possible representation.


Even on old style small TVs in the 80s it was barely acceptable lol
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X0 with Sony MSC-3000 MUSE decoder.

Pioneer CLD-D925 for PAL discs.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 19:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 886
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 260 times
I still kept my 80's Mitsubishi VCRs' for nostalgic reasons (also can't beat the build quality of just about everything made in this era) so I just can't let them go @ this point.

In any case, I can make the case that in respect to S-VHS + recording an anamorphic transfer, one can get a pretty decent picture on playback. But of course, what would be the point? :roll:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 19:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 5272
Location: Ann Arbor
Has thanked: 731 times
Been thanked: 736 times
Today I spent 10 minutes just trying to get a modern Samsung (don’t like!) display to sync to a vintage device. Oh lord, this kind of thing is absolute torture. The friggn inputs don’t even show up as selectable until it recognizes the signal. It’s like NTSC has HDCP now.

Plugged it back in to a 20 year old TV, wiggled the wire a few times, zero issues.

VHS looks great on a 17” CRT and the only people who don’t agree probably threw all their CRTs away so long ago they have no clue what they are talking about at this point and they really shouldn’t pretend like they do. It’s low res but so is the display. The colors pop really well on a tube and there is zero macroblocking of course. The quality of the player and of the tape are as important as they are with LD.

However if your smallest TV is four feet wide and 2” thick then VHS looks like crap on it. And yeah, I know who’s going to post that picture of Titanic again, I don’t want to see it. At least take another picture, it’s been years since you took the last ones.

People who think anything old is always better are simply idiots of a slightly different sort than those who buy into everything new. When they fight the stupidly multiplies. Your buggy whip doesn’t belong in your Tesla but has a daily constant use if you actually are a buggy operating cabby and no phone app will ever compensate.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 23:17 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3311
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 180 times
confederate wrote:
substance wrote:
I am sorry but VHS is real junk and totally unwatchable in this day and age. We are not here discussing our attachment to nostalgia but access to (new) content in its best possible representation.


Even on old style small TVs in the 80s it was barely acceptable lol


Nope. Even in its own era, it was surpassed by Laserdiscs and later DVDs.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 23:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3311
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 180 times
signofzeta wrote:
Today I spent 10 minutes just trying to get a modern Samsung (don’t like!) display to sync to a vintage device. Oh lord, this kind of thing is absolute torture. The friggn inputs don’t even show up as selectable until it recognizes the signal. It’s like NTSC has HDCP now.

Plugged it back in to a 20 year old TV, wiggled the wire a few times, zero issues.

VHS looks great on a 17” CRT and the only people who don’t agree probably threw all their CRTs away so long ago they have no clue what they are talking about at this point and they really shouldn’t pretend like they do. It’s low res but so is the display. The colors pop really well on a tube and there is zero macroblocking of course. The quality of the player and of the tape are as important as they are with LD.

However if your smallest TV is four feet wide and 2” thick then VHS looks like crap on it. And yeah, I know who’s going to post that picture of Titanic again, I don’t want to see it. At least take another picture, it’s been years since you took the last ones.

People who think anything old is always better are simply idiots of a slightly different sort than those who buy into everything new. When they fight the stupidly multiplies. Your buggy whip doesn’t belong in your Tesla but has a daily constant use if you actually are a buggy operating cabby and no phone app will ever compensate.



All the issues associated with the “new” Blu-rays and 4K UHD Blu-rays are simply the result of the trend and progress. Do you not think if Laserdiscs and VHS survived to this day, they wouldn’t get DNR’ed and their color timing molested? Same goes for electronics, CRTs would have digital processing to have the LCD look.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 03:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 5272
Location: Ann Arbor
Has thanked: 731 times
Been thanked: 736 times
I missed the point of any and all of that and I have no idea why you brought any of it up. I wasn’t advocating for anything other than sanity. 30 year old gear works better with 30 old stuff, that’s pretty hard to dispute unless you have no 30 year old gear.

I do wonder what you mean about “ CRTs would have digital processing to have the LCD look.” Don’t get that, why or how it would be done, or why you brought it up.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 17:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 1513
Location: United States
Has thanked: 788 times
Been thanked: 254 times
VHS was acceptable when it's all you knew/had. Agree with Zeta that matching gear with other gear of the time is always going to be a lot less complicated and yield better results. I'd rather watch LD on my HD CRT than my 4K projector.
_________________
My collection. If it's not anime, it's probably available for sale or trade.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 18:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3311
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 180 times
There are two issues here. One, newer TVs are much larger, you can spot LD’s shortcomings a lot easier. Two, newer TVs almost always expect more mainstream video signals like HD broadcast, HD streaming and HD discs. In other words, if they wanted, they could make a TV with all the modern hardware and it would totally demolish any HD CRT or alike. Two reasons they won’t do this. One, it’s a niche inside a niche market. Two, retro media communities don’t spend too much money on these anyway.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2020, 18:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 5272
Location: Ann Arbor
Has thanked: 731 times
Been thanked: 736 times
TV manufactures respond to market forces. Thanks for letting us know that and also that new chips are better than old ones.

You are someone who makes money from a system that you yourself in turn buy into. To you it’s all “progress” no matter what happens. Some of are are more concerned with the human side of things.

I work in automotive engineering. There are a lot of guys, usually younger European engineers who think like you. Whatever VW or Mercedes makes is the thing we are supposed to respect. If Honda makes a car with half the tech for half the price that lasts twice as long then that is not to be respected, but rather mocked. Honda were caveman cowards when they dared sell such a low tech car. We should all be buying these cars and when they blow engines or need $1200 for a 40k maintenance we’re all supposed to pay it for the betterment of society. It’s an ideology, you have it, not everyone does. And it’s good, because there isn’t enough money in the word for everyone to have nice stuff and all the nice stuff you lost faith in because you got a new calendar is still around so someone should enjoy it.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 01:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3311
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 180 times
signofzeta wrote:
TV manufactures respond to market forces. Thanks for letting us know that and also that new chips are better than old ones.

You are someone who makes money from a system that you yourself in turn buy into. To you it’s all “progress” no matter what happens. Some of are are more concerned with the human side of things.

I work in automotive engineering. There are a lot of guys, usually younger European engineers who think like you. Whatever VW or Mercedes makes is the thing we are supposed to respect. If Honda makes a car with half the tech for half the price that lasts twice as long then that is not to be respected, but rather mocked. Honda were caveman cowards when they dared sell such a low tech car. We should all be buying these cars and when they blow engines or need $1200 for a 40k maintenance we’re all supposed to pay it for the betterment of society. It’s an ideology, you have it, not everyone does. And it’s good, because there isn’t enough money in the word for everyone to have nice stuff and all the nice stuff you lost faith in because you got a new calendar is still around so someone should enjoy it.



I wholeheartedly agree.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 17:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 792
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 80 times
signofzeta wrote:
There are a lot of guys, usually younger European engineers who think like you. Whatever VW or Mercedes makes is the thing we are supposed to respect. If Honda makes a car with half the tech for half the price that lasts twice as long then that is not to be respected, but rather mocked. Honda were caveman cowards when they dared sell such a low tech car. We should all be buying these cars and when they blow engines or need $1200 for a 40k maintenance we’re all supposed to pay it for the betterment of society. It’s an ideology,

wow this au caveman has a different perspective where the Europeans and Japanese/SE Asian make the best cars and outside of Tesla Americans just produce vehicles for gas guzzling idiots.


The stereotype is no worse than yours.
_________________
Looking for Hi-Vision Discs (MUSE or HDVS).......
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 17:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 14:21
Posts: 1061
Location: New Delaware
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 288 times
OT I would LOVE a 2021 calendar of sub-par unspectacular 1970's and 1980's American cars. :oops:

They all look exactly the same, all have the same wallowy marshmallow luxobarge suspension and brakes that start in Pacific time and end in Eastern.

The diarrhoea brown plastics, wood panelling, red/jade/brown/vomit beige (delete as applicable) fabric and 64oz shagpile interiors. Glorious!

Examples:

1970 Ford LTD

Image


1980 Plymouth Gran Fury

Image


1977 Dodge Royal Monaco

Image


1978 Ford Country Squire

Image


1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88

Image


...and the ultimate sub-par car. American automotive industry ROYALTY....The almighty Buick LeSabre. *swoon!* :crazy:

Image


Incidentally, a 1978 Ford Country Squire went for $45,000 at auction earlier this very year. The interior is absolutely BIBLICAL. A veritable fiesta of bottle green, cold, sludgy vomit. AWESOME!

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/24/197 ... de-2219115

And this one with only 1000 miles on the clock went for over $46,000 in 2019. The green is even darker and more awesome. What a car! :clap:

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1974- ... ion-wagon/

I swear if I won the powerball lottery, after the government took their 50% cut, I'd take the lump sum and buy a collection of mediocre US cars and amass a collection bigger than Jay Leno. You can keep your Ferrari's and what have you's. Give me a 1986 Ford Taurus or a 1977 Cadillac DeVille any day!
_________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2020, 18:14 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 25 Sep 2019, 00:14
Posts: 46
Location: United States
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times
I will just keep my old stuff.
And be happy with what I have.
I think 95% of the new Movies are trash anyway.
But then. That is just me. And IF? I want to watch a new Movie.
I can wait until it hits Rebox.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2020, 23:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 5272
Location: Ann Arbor
Has thanked: 731 times
Been thanked: 736 times
audioboyz1973 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
There are a lot of guys, usually younger European engineers who think like you. Whatever VW or Mercedes makes is the thing we are supposed to respect. If Honda makes a car with half the tech for half the price that lasts twice as long then that is not to be respected, but rather mocked. Honda were caveman cowards when they dared sell such a low tech car. We should all be buying these cars and when they blow engines or need $1200 for a 40k maintenance we’re all supposed to pay it for the betterment of society. It’s an ideology,

wow this au caveman has a different perspective where the Europeans and Japanese/SE Asian make the best cars and outside of Tesla Americans just produce vehicles for gas guzzling idiots.


The stereotype is no worse than yours.


I’m speaking from my own experience working full time in auto engineering for a dozen years. These are people who’s numbers are in my phone, real people, no stereotypes. I’m talking about ideologies. Some think more development always yields better results and some think if it isn’t broke it shouldn’t be fixed. Mercedes vs Honda right there. If Mercedes ever did make the perfect car they’d just keep developing it until it became worse...and some would say they already crossed that point, probably at some point in the 90s. Honda on the other hand probably still makes something from the 90s somewhere. Chrysler on the other half actually does sell Mercedes designs from the 90s and their truck engine is from the 80s. GM won’t even sell you spare parts from stuff that old anymore. Tesla...is basically a venture capital scam.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 5 of 9 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: