It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-M450] Disassembly
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2019, 02:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I recently acquired a CLD-M450 that was sold broken. Upon removing the bonnet, I noticed a CD was stuck under the tray. I removed the CD and saw that the tray has trouble lifting so I have to help it. The belt looks good, so I'm thinking this is an issue with old grease. Does anyone happen to have the service manual or any advice for disassembly? If not, I'll do my best to document it here.

Post subject: Re: CLD-M450 Disassembly
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2019, 03:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I still think you have a bad belt.

I know from experience w/ my M90 that the belts on the changers are even more critical in that they need to be really tight since this is probably the heaviest tray that Pioneer made for any of their players and thus needs more lifting torque.

if you own an Alpha Turn model from around the same time period that uses the PEB-1013 belt, you can use the belt from that player to test it on your M450 to see if it works better.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-M450] Disassembly
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2019, 18:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

When I was building my M90, I had issues with the tray as well. The tray is so large and flexible, I found it was getting hung up on the transformer when trying to lift. Putting a slight bend in the metal bar that holds the two sides of the tray together around the transformer resolved the transformer hanging, but I did end up replacing the belt too. I used the standard VEB1184 SQB3.6 belt and that cleared up the rest of my problems.

By far the biggest issue I had was getting the tray properly synchronized. Having the tray be off by even one tooth would throw the timing completely off.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 03:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for the replies. This is the first player I've seen with black grease. It has become tacky and hardened in a lot of places. I replaced what I could with white lithium grease and the tray is able to lift without help, but a LD is too much for it. I'll replace the belt. I have a parts unit that I'll try the belt from and if that doesn't work, I'll order a new belt (thanks for the sizing info blam). It doesn't hang on the transformer fortunately- it seems like yours might have been misaligned to begin with. I had that issue on a 1070. This is a pretty cool international unit. Picture is a little noisy and it suffers from crosstalk but I'll have to wait until I get a better oscilloscope to align it. Doesn't like playing CDs either. I might be out of luck though unless I can find the service manual or one close enough to it. Additionally one of the composite outs does not work, but that should be an easy fix.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 19:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Belt replacement was more straight forward than I thought. I've attached an image for those who might need to do this in the future.

Remove the four screws circled in red.
Loosen the two screws circled in green.
Unhook the cable at the two points indicated by the red squares.
Lift the entire assembly out by pulling towards the transformer. It can then be lifted out to rest on the chassis.

Attachments:
M450.jpg
M450.jpg [ 138.66 KiB | Viewed 2212 times ]

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 20:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well this is somewhat depressing. Inside, this player is exactly the same as the CLD-M90. I had hoped for an improved mechanism. The M401/450 would appear to be the same as the M90 with the exception of a scan wheel, S-Video and Optical Digital output.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 05:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm not that surprised that the mechanism is the same for all the models.

They weren't made (or even sold) in huge quantities so I figured Pioneer wanted to keep cost down on R&D and just go w/ something that worked fine. And when one thinks about it, the players do perform pretty reliable considering all the moving parts. Mine still plays fine but I admit it's still one of my worst players when it comes to picture quality (that's a given considering it was built more for convenience).

Anyway, I'll be modding my M90 in a few months for both AC3-RF and S/PDIF. Been wanting to give it more capabilities for awhile now and can't wait when it's done so I can play multiple DTS CDs'. ;)

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 01:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I got very frustrated attempting to get the tray back in. Of course I make another attempt this morning and get it back in the first try. :D

The picture is very noisy on this player. I began alignment yesterday but couldn't for the life of me get the locking compound off for centering adjustment. The player did, however, do a nice job of scratching my test disc... An expensive lesson on making sure the tilt is on. :crazy:

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]