It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:17

Page 4 of 5 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are laserdiscs climbing in price?
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 09:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
When I asked for the Apes boxset he said he was eyeing two auctions that may end low enough for him. I think I probably got the box he was eyeing direct?

My guess is he's got family or friends over there that can buy this stuff for him and ship it without fees.

I haven't asked him directly but I get the impression he usually receives large lots so I suspect he has someone there doing the local purchasing and shipping. I did have one of his Japanese boxes he recycled to send a lot to me (that lot had Apes box set in it), it was cut down slightly but still had all the shipping labels etc on it. I don't remember seeing any Aussie address etc on it but maybe I'm wrong...the box is gone now I didn't keep it.

Before I had bought anything from him I thought maybe he was over there for some time (years possibly) and was buying stuff locally and then shipping stuff to family here. People have been doing that sort of thing for decades, I have done it myself in the past but not on a massive scale just a couple of items from Europe.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 09:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ryosaeba84 wrote:
Oh yeah I recognize this floor on the LD pics, it's fantomas lover.
I like trolling the guy from time to time like making a 12€ offer on a 130€ ghost in the shell box set :D .
This guy must have been raised too close to the wall to put prices like that.
Attachment:
Alien LD 400.jpg

Like :wtf: 400€ for common Alien copies and boxsets.

Oh yeah, I thought I recognized that seller too. Comically overpriced titles. He does have a couple I actually want (or maybe it was just one) and I've thought about giving him a legitimate offer for it. Worst that'll happen, he declines, and I can finally remove that from my watch list and look somewhere else.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 13:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

On the Australian guy, at least he is selling them cheap.

The French guy, sounds like one of those types that only wants big profits on everything.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 20:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

the "latest" releases are technical wise "better" quality releases.
I once settled for ld's since they we're the best format to own back then. I remember getting some 70's-80's titles and they we're trash quality. vhs like you know...
sold around 800 discs around the year 2000 and was very picky about the new last discs.
These days...
the artwork, soundtrack and Star Wars are my main collectible reason.
dts always did it for me... that made me focus on those ld's .
Got into the game at the right time... prices these days for Ronin, Dark City, Titanic.... :crazy:
Own some "rare" late releases these days but managed to get them at reasonable prices by negotiation and some blind luck here and there.
I remember people cashing out around 400-500 euro for a definitive brand new box set in the shop back in the day. these days 100euro pricerange so is that expensive for the version everyone longs for I ask myself?

Anyway,
hope they all tumble at 1 euro each :lol:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 20:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:
ryosaeba84 wrote:
Oh yeah I recognize this floor on the LD pics, it's fantomas lover.
I like trolling the guy from time to time like making a 12€ offer on a 130€ ghost in the shell box set :D .
This guy must have been raised too close to the wall to put prices like that.
Attachment:
Alien LD 400.jpg

Like :wtf: 400€ for common Alien copies and boxsets.

Oh yeah, I thought I recognized that seller too. Comically overpriced titles. He does have a couple I actually want (or maybe it was just one) and I've thought about giving him a legitimate offer for it. Worst that'll happen, he declines, and I can finally remove that from my watch list and look somewhere else.

Made a fair over on Basic Instinct Squeeze some time ago...
I recieved an e-mail asking me...

How bad you want this title?

I was like....

Please .... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :lol:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019, 06:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Did you notice the terms listed... $49/mo for 24 mos.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019, 12:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Another proof of people becoming very greedy about LDs :
I found a guy selling some anime LDs on Leboncoin (french craigslist), and he is asking 95€ for a single City Hunter disc (Goodbye my Sweetheart) and 150€ for the 4 volumes of You're under arrest. :crazy:

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2019, 16:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

City Hunter does seem to be pretty popular in France though. Maybe that’s like how Pokémon and Yugioh and some pretty naff garbage are the most expensive stuff in the US. The Brawly movie. Some of the least essential anime there is...but popular. City Hunter is a lot better than Yugioh but the same thing can happen.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 18:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

What's the deal with the Japanese Knight Rider releases anyway?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 18:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well Nicky Larson is famous, not City Hunter, if you talk to your average joe, he probably never even heard the name, but if you say Nicky Larson (kinda big difference in overall tone due to severe censoring of scenes and modifications of dialogue that changes the story on some episodes) He is gonna know what you are talking about.
I know City Hunter is a good anime (pro tip : it's actually the best :D ), but I really don't think he is ever gonna sell his LDs at this price (95€, could probably find 1 or even 2 working S315 at this price) and I don't think he is getting loads of demands, he also had anime audio cds, I asked about his City Hunter dramatic Master II (already have the I, got it sealed from discogs at 10€), he is selling it at 40€ !
Strangely, the only correctly priced stuff IMO he had were the cells he had of some CH characters (at 30€ a piece).

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 18:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ryosaeba84 wrote:
Strangely, the only correctly priced stuff IMO he had were the cells he had of some CH characters (at 30€ a piece).

That's good!

Sold a damaged Hokuto no Ken cell for $200, CH is sweet!

Julien

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 19:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yeah, well that's the kind of price range I expected him to say when he started telling me his prices for LDs and CDs :lol:
Well nice deal then (for you at least :clap: )

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019, 20:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ryosaeba84 wrote:
Well Nicky Larson is famous, not City Hunter, if you talk to your average joe, he probably never even heard the name, but if you say Nicky Larson (kinda big difference in overall tone due to severe censoring of scenes and modifications of dialogue that changes the story on some episodes) He is gonna know what you are talking about.
I know City Hunter is a good anime (pro tip : it's actually the best :D ), but I really don't think he is ever gonna sell his LDs at this price (95€, could probably find 1 or even 2 working S315 at this price) and I don't think he is getting loads of demands, he also had anime audio cds, I asked about his City Hunter dramatic Master II (already have the I, got it sealed from discogs at 10€), he is selling it at 40€ !

Seems like he isn't interested in selling too much. Not bad on the cells but I miss when they were basically the cost of shipping from Japan.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 01:51 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

bumping this topic that I made back in the day

Matrix appears to be holding steady and keeps climbing abit. I think with the new movie we'll see an increase again. I was out of collecting for awhile and then looked over the last few months of listings. I don't think Matrix is entirely that rare since it keeps coming up but does seem to go for a high premium. Sleepy Hollow looks to have gained abit or someone is just asking too much for it.

I'm noticing a ton of Muse titles now on ebay at reasonable (if over $100 is reasonable) prices. Someone is either dumping Muse titles or with 4K on the rise people are letting it go? There's even a Jurassic Park muse on ebay! Supposedly the best way to watch that film.

Of course most of the "best" titles are found at great prices thankfully. It's just those late select titles that are in this high price range.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 19:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Anime prices on LD seem up, at least on eBay. Ninja Scroll is bringing about $50, other US releases seem to have trended upwards with multi title lots bringing decent amounts. Battle Angel has leveled off sub $100 after hitting several 100 during the movie hype. Supply of import titles for auction on there is down compared to the halycon days of 5 years ago when piles seems to show up (of course they are still dirt cheap in Japan, if you can deal with the hassle). It is kind of nice to see the Maison Ikkoku LD24 bring a couple 100 USD given mine was $50 back then (it was a steal even then). Titles I bought cheap during the surugaya bonanza like the Lain box set going for much more on eBay are cool as well :) Unrealistic buy it now pricing doesn't help at times, like with many other collectibles, with the move to a "store" format versus more common auctions of the past, but there are fairly priced BIN titles as well with some good deals. Making an offer just lacks the raw thrill of watching a last second bid snatch away a coveted item with seconds to spare.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 20:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

harlock wrote:
Anime prices on LD seem up, at least on eBay. Ninja Scroll is bringing about $50, other US releases seem to have trended upwards with multi title lots bringing decent amounts. Battle Angel has leveled off sub $100 after hitting several 100 during the movie hype. Supply of import titles for auction on there is down compared to the halycon days of 5 years ago when piles seems to show up (of course they are still dirt cheap in Japan, if you can deal with the hassle). It is kind of nice to see the Maison Ikkoku LD24 bring a couple 100 USD given mine was $50 back then (it was a steal even then). Titles I bought cheap during the surugaya bonanza like the Lain box set going for much more on eBay are cool as well :) Unrealistic buy it now pricing doesn't help at times, like with many other collectibles, with the move to a "store" format versus more common auctions of the past, but there are fairly priced BIN titles as well with some good deals. Making an offer just lacks the raw thrill of watching a last second bid snatch away a coveted item with seconds to spare.

Yeah eBay is the worst place to be buying. LDDB isn't much better usually. I am getting things for pennies on the dollar off YAJ.

I had my eye on Maison Ikkoku but decided to get Yamato stuff first. Eventually I will, it's cheap before shipping.

Seems like anything later (like Lain) is likely to be expensive due to scarcity.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 21:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I got the Yamato Perfect Collection movie box back when it seemed like entire collections of old otaku were going through eBay, a nice set. The TV sets had really nice original cover art for each disc, a nice change from how the other Matsumoto boxes reused existing Leiji art for the covers and I would love to get those series at some point as the Perfect Collection is my only Yamato on LD.

The Takahashi title I really want is the Urusei Yatsura LD50, dirt cheap on YJ, but again the shipping will be brutal. Make sure when you buy either the MI or UY sets that a pic of the box top is included: it's a prime spot to wind up disgustingly brown with mold, dust, nicotine, and foxing :sick:

Lain was indeed a late release as it came out on DVD in parallel with LD, further cutting numbers and reason for import. I have a copy of Jin-Roh which was among the last 10 anime LD ever in 2001 and it's very cool.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 21:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I won one of those for 1,000 yen on YAJ, hadn't posted about more winnings in the other thread yet. Now I hope this stuff all gets to me fine.

I have noticed most LD I bid on I win uncontested, interest level seems very low. Of course I am bidding on things that have "better" releases so that could be a part of it. It could be much tougher to win things that are not on BLURAY.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 00:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I never pay more then $25 for a laserdisc.
I sit tiight until the price comes down. Are
buy the Movie on DVD.
No big deal.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 01:37 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

If you'd like a newbie's input... :) I'm 32 so I can only remember the death of the format. The only school I went to that had a player was college, and I never saw it in action.

Anyway, I got into the format because I wanted a copy of Fantasia with the original narration. Then I got dragged into the rabbit hole of unedited trilogies, original soundtracks, color timings, uncut Looney Tunes, etc. But for prices I'm very conscious and try to do things like goodwill, random lots, that sort of thing. I don't fall for the RARE! ebay auction nonsense. They do that with the VHS editions too. It may help that I'm active on another movie forum and actually watch my movies, instead of urban outfitter types. If younger fans just snap up things because of hype, it's no wonder prices have gone up.

Page 4 of 5 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next