It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:07

Page 1 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Star Wars OT + Phantom Menace, CLD-D750
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 12:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Had a look around and had no idea where to dump this so I started a thread :oops:
I'm totally ok if it needs to be moved or merged.

Anyway, got a Pioneer CLD-D750 last week for a reasonable price...well, for over here anyway and it was posted.
Didn't have any discs when I got it, but some arrived today :)

The D750 didn't have remote or manual.

Movies I got:
Star Wars [PILF-2076] - no obi
Star Wars [SF098-1103] - with obi, also original outer plastic (with digital sound & dolby surround stickers)
The Empire Strikes Back [SF098-0013] - no obi
Return of the Jedi [SF098-1100] - no obi
The Phantom Menace [PILF-2830] - with obi, sealed

I was a bit nervous about getting the D750 via mail but it seems to have turned out ok.
Plays discs ok, swaps sides ok :D

Now I need a remote :think:

Post subject: Re: Star Wars OT + Phantom Menace, CLD-D750
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 14:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dead I can send you a Pioneer remote for shipping money if that would be cheaper than you trying to get one locally. Also if you already have a fancy Logitech remote that will work. I'm using a Logitech for the Proscan since it won't work with Pioneer remotes and I needed to be able to switch between analog and digital audio.

Btw you generally want to avoid sealed LDs if you are planning to watch the movie. Last time I bought a sealed movie off of a store here I asked the seller to open it and verify no damage or disc rot which they were happy to do.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 14:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Do you plan to get the Ewok movies too at some point? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm going to open Phantom Menace I just haven't done it tonight, been checking out the other discs.
I didn't buy it as sealed, it just is :lol: Seller didn't have it listed as that.

I have an old Harmony 785 here but no battery for it (everything else is there), well I think I don't have a battery I'd have to rummage through a box I have here with loose batteries. Dunno if it's worth messing around though this is old and needs bs software setup (maybe it isn't supported now idk).

Thanks for the offer but it might not be worth the effort sending it over.

I have one older generic universal here I haven't tried (with a code list) and sometimes those old remotes turn up at work so that's another possibility.

If not, I can probably get a remote for another model (so no jog) online. I've already started looking and might just chance a cheap one at some point.

takeshi666 wrote:
Do you plan to get the Ewok movies too at some point? :mrgreen:

Um probably not, unless they're like $3 and I'm getting other stuff.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

does it have the manual? here's a copy;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-CLD-D7 ... SwYrJa47eZ

and here's a very pricey copy, including the TRANSIT SCREW and associated stays;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-CLD-D7 ... 7844!US!-1

and here are some remotes similar to the one the D750 came with;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pionee ... SwcFJcYaiq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-CD-CDV ... 7844!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-CU-CLD ... SwxO9b~bUX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Origin ... SwV5lc5~Vv

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would much rather watch the Ewok movies than The Phantom Menace.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
Btw you generally want to avoid sealed LDs if you are planning to watch the movie.

I just don't get this. Have opened a whole heap of still sealed LD's and never a problem. Obviously a different story if it's a known rotter; but that goes for sealed or not...

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:

Phantom Menace on LD is a different cut. I have it on DVD and BD too.

I would rather watch Droids than the Ewok movies.

Star Wars Holiday Special is what the cool kids watch anyway, it isn't even on LD :silent:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
gypsy wrote:
Btw you generally want to avoid sealed LDs if you are planning to watch the movie.

I just don't get this. Have opened a whole heap of still sealed LD's and never a problem. Obviously a different story if it's a known rotter; but that goes for sealed or not...

It gets into a murky territory for the seller which is why I always ask. It comes down to what are they selling it as. Old sealed movies and games can be seen as collectibles and returns online should be in the same condition they arrived in. So to me opening old sealed product should void the ability to return it. The item was sold as it was described even if there ends up being a defect.

deadlegion wrote:
I'm going to open Phantom Menace I just haven't done it tonight, been checking out the other discs.
I didn't buy it as sealed, it just is :lol: Seller didn't have it listed as that.

I have an old Harmony 785 here but no battery for it (everything else is there), well I think I don't have a battery I'd have to rummage through a box I have here with loose batteries. Dunno if it's worth messing around though this is old and needs bs software setup (maybe it isn't supported now idk).

Thanks for the offer but it might not be worth the effort sending it over.

I have one older generic universal here I haven't tried (with a code list) and sometimes those old remotes turn up at work so that's another possibility.

If not, I can probably get a remote for another model (so no jog) online. I've already started looking and might just chance a cheap one at some point.

I can confirm that it is a pain in the a** to set-up. It was basically my only option for the Proscan PSLD46 though, never going to find a remote for that thing.

signofzeta wrote:

I don't remember it being that bad.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I buy mostly JP versions but anyone who’s into 80s US pressings should have them checked before shipping. Some people here just buy the same movie over and over again knowing that it rots but instead of getting another format or another pressing they keep buying the one they know is crap. Those people are going to be wasting a lot of money if they buy sealed copies and rot check them after.

I’d be way more concerned about learned the disc was cracked only after opening it. That has happened to me and it sucks. I think this is a much greater likelihood if you aren’t the sort to spend your money chasing Eraser or Dante’s Peak whatever (it seems most famous rotters are garbage films for some reason.) A shrink wrapped jacket can make a completely useless disc look wonderful.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’d be way more concerned about learned the disc was cracked only after opening it. That has happened to me and it sucks. I think this is a much greater likelihood if you aren’t the sort to spend your money chasing Eraser or Dante’s Peak whatever (it seems most famous rotters are garbage films for some reason.) A shrink wrapped jacket can make a completely useless disc look wonderful.

I had this happen TWICE on my first two purchases of sealed LDs. It's not like I was even seeking out sealed ones either, it just so happened that they were the cheapest copies of both. I don't think the sellers could have known they were cracked of course.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The Ewok movies are terrible. I watched them again recently after years of promising myself I wouldn't.

I might watch Holiday Special again because it doesn't make me emo, it's just funny bad.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

deadlegion wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Phantom Menace on LD is a different cut. I have it on DVD and BD too.

I would rather watch Droids than the Ewok movies.

Star Wars Holiday Special is what the cool kids watch anyway, it isn't even on LD :silent:

I too would rather watch Droids than the Ewok movies. They aren’t that bad though. I had no trouble buying that it was a real Star Wars thing when I was 11 or whenever those came out.

The holiday special though is clearly cut from the same cloth as the Donnie and Marie Show, the Paul Linde Halloween Special, Pink Lady, and a million other variety programs of the late 70s. It’s kinda the same thing they did one or two Fridays a month back then but that week it was Star Wars. It’s like a parade float or a p0rn0 cosplay thing. Just hard working showbiz people busy at what they do. It wasn’t made to be seen anything but live.

Speaking of which, the Paul Linde Halloween special is in fact available on DVD and if you’re in any way into that stuff I highly recommend it. It’s absolutely hilarious at times, I loved that guy. The SW holiday special is almost torture though. It goes on forever and nothing happens and most of the time you’re watching Bea Arthur and Art Carney or something with no real Star Wars grade props in sight. It’s biggest issue is being flat and boring and empty.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The Special is nostalgic torture though. I never got to see it back then but I remember the 70's quite well.

See Ewoks is like an expanded universe of something I was never into (the one thing I disliked about RotJ).
Droids is just a curiosity, much like Star Trek Animated...which I did watch as a kid, I'm a TOS guy over everything else but I like Trek.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
It gets into a murky territory for the seller which is why I always ask. It comes down to what are they selling it as. Old sealed movies and games can be seen as collectibles and returns online should be in the same condition they arrived in. So to me opening old sealed product should void the ability to return it. The item was sold as it was described even if there ends up being a defect.

Yeah that makes sense. Almost all of the sealed I opened it wasn't advertised and didn't realise until it arrived.

It's just this particular brigade of ill-informed idiots that thinks every LD is a ticking time bomb just waiting to rot at a moments notice. Have often seen them advise against sealed releases on that basis. Yeah well like I said before...

signofzeta wrote:
I’d be way more concerned about learned the disc was cracked only after opening it. That has happened to me and it sucks. A shrink wrapped jacket can make a completely useless disc look wonderful.

Surely the best reason to open it to check (outside of a known rotter).

signofzeta wrote:
I think this is a much greater likelihood if you aren’t the sort to spend your money chasing Eraser or Dante’s Peak whatever (it seems most famous rotters are garbage films for some reason.)

Could this some correlation between Sony Pictures/Columbia TriStar and DADC USA as a notorious producer of rotters?? Well perhaps actually inclusion filled specklers (due to bad clean room conditions etc.????)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 16:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Yeah that makes sense. Almost all of the sealed I opened it wasn't advertised and didn't realise until it arrived.

It's just this particular brigade of ill-informed idiots that thinks every LD is a ticking time bomb just waiting to rot at a moments notice. Have often seen them advise against sealed releases on that basis.

I'm definitely not in that boat. I'd just rather ask the seller to open it since that's what I would do anyway. From what I understand about rot it's more of a manufacturing defect and LDs either have it or they don't. They aren't going to magically get it later.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 16:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sealed and cracked are the only real issues.
I doubt that any are rotters like posted above from audioboy unless they are massive rotters to begin with.

Just like paying no sales tax here, it always puts a smile on my face to watch an older LD pressing and see that there is no rot or any issues
after owning them for 15+ years and the discs being over 25+yr

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 16:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tasuke wrote:

I've seen the manual listed on ebay but I'm not paying the same or more than the player cost me just for some paper.
I didn't check your remote links, I'm assuming they aren't domestic Australian or cheap Japanese sellers.

But thanks for the effort ;)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 16:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
Just like paying no sales tax here, it always puts a smile on my face to watch an older LD pressing and see that there is no rot or any issues after owning them for 15+ years and the discs being over 25+yr

Not to mention the PQ of so many older releases meeting, if not exceeding some rather expensive late releases...

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 16:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'll always have a soft spot for the Ewoks on the account of them being the first bit of Star Wars media I was ever exposed to. Yes, before I ever saw the OT, I saw the animated series AND the movies. For some reason, I had this recollection for decades that the ship Wilford Brimley's character and the little kid use to escape Endor was one of the Rebel transport ships from ESB, which turned out to be not even remotely similar when I finally watched it again a year or two ago. I can't say I felt particularly strongly about either movie, but I do remember hating the fact that they just killed the family off at the beginning of the second movie, when saving them had been the whole point of the first one.

Droids in the other hand I managed to avoid entirely, probably because when they showed the Ewoks cartoon, they only showed the second season when it was shown on it's own, and when they finally did show Droids sometime in the 90's, they decided to put it in the weekday afternoon block which was a whole hour before school ended so I only ever saw like one episode because it was either a holiday or I was sick, I can't remember. I do find it odd that despite it's supposed popularity, the Droids ran much shorter in both comics and animation than Ewoks did.

Page 1 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next