It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:30

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Looking for some guidance on getting a Domesday Duplicat
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 22:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I suspect many of us here are not looking to back up rare LaserDiscs in a particularly serious way, but would just like another LD-related toy to play with, and for that reason the fact that the price has remained high is dismaying.

Certainly if I could buy the device for, say, under $100, it would be fun to try it out, maybe using it on some of my Kate Bush LDs (never released on DVD) - although it has to be said these are definitely decaying now, so I doubt any new transfers would beat those done a few years ago through my trusty old Canopus ADVC...

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2023, 01:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

jesuslovesgood wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
It was made for rescuing super rare stuff that was on the brink of being permanently lost. I don’t have a single LD like that myself and I’m not interested in fooling myself into believing I ever will. If I do I’ll mail it to someone who has a setup and pay him to do it.

You don't own any laserdiscs that haven't been released on dvd, bluray, or any other format other than VHS? There's no way that's true unless you avoided a bunch of them. There's a lot of laserdisc movies still that are still stuck on the format. Some of these movies are not hard to get either but some of them are bad. Some of them are rare to find such as Dark Tide. I've only seen that pop up twice or three times in recent History on Ebay. Also, I still think it's crazy because how much visual quality is it over my Hauppauge capture device. Price vs Price I don't know if it's worth it and the massive files are ridiculous. Why would anyone want a 40-70 gig file? I guess they could re-encode it decrease the file size and maintaining most of the quality but wouldn't that also defeat the purpose of a device that supposedly gets 100 percent of the quality?

I have many things that only exist on LD. That doesn’t mean that I and every other idiot who own a copy of that LD have to make pointless backups of it all.

What do I have that’s only on LD and also actually worth archiving? On the same level as Domesday discs? Stuff where in order to get one good copy you have to assemble it from the non-rotted sections of the only four copies ever pressed while preserving any and all computer code or whatever? That kind of thing? Absolutely nothing.

So what I have will die with me and that’s perfectly fine. Nobody will care about this stuff when it’s gone. Real talk. If I really really actually thought I had the only copy in the world of some old anime or music video I’d just capture it with retail stuff instead of whining about the price of hand made cutting edge prototype gear that wasn’t even aimed at them.

It’s not for you. Also, it’s not even expensive. Seriously. How much AV gear could you possibly have if you think $500 is a lot of money for this kind of thing?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2023, 01:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

yaffle2345 wrote:
I suspect many of us here are not looking to back up rare LaserDiscs in a particularly serious way, but would just like another LD-related toy to play with, and for that reason the fact that the price has remained high is dismaying.

Certainly if I could buy the device for, say, under $100, it would be fun to try it out, maybe using it on some of my Kate Bush LDs (never released on DVD) - although it has to be said these are definitely decaying now, so I doubt any new transfers would beat those done a few years ago through my trusty old Canopus ADVC...

I would like to fly a rocket into space but the price of $1M per flight is dismaying for a total punter like myself who is just bored and looking for a few minutes of fun.

There are an uncountable number of excellent ways to back up NTSC/PAL video. You don’t have to do it at the molecular level.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2023, 04:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

From what I've seen of people actually try to turn domesdayed RF signal into watchable video, it's gonna be a long time before it looks better than just actually running the video through a decent player with a decent video processors and capturing it the old fashioned way.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2023, 02:57 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

DD part 2 is now out.

LD-Decode - LaserDisc Conversion Tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RduEpIiG0O0

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2023, 22:00 
True fan
True fan

I would be interested in one, but not to rip LDs but to improve the sharpness and cleanness while watching.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2023, 08:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

therussian wrote:
I would be interested in one, but not to rip LDs but to improve the sharpness and cleanness while watching.

This is not a real-time device, it's completely unusable for that purpose.

Get a FPGA-based video processor instead, plenty of discussions on the forum about them!

Julien

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2023, 17:26 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

therussian wrote:

It would be nice if they could add at least a composite video output on this board, so you get the best composite signal possible. The TBC and the demodulation would need to be done in the FPGA chip though.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2023, 17:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

roland_pater wrote:
therussian wrote:

It would be nice if they could add at least a composite video output on this board, so you get the best composite signal possible. The TBC and the demodulation would need to be done in the FPGA chip though.

Do not fight with this bot!

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2024, 17:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

nakamori wrote:
This is something you get if you're a dedicated archivist or a company looking to remaster an obscure movie with no better available source than LD (like Discotek did with Project A-ko before they found the negatives), not if you're an enthusiast like most of us here, myself included. All this comes down to, IMO, is that professional and niche equipment aren't priced like mass-consumer equipment, which isn't news.

Have you actually seen that discotek version of Ako, garbage, I can get better with my LD running through a cheap garbage TV.
I think we need a disclaimer posted on covers of said discs that these were mastered from LD or VHS copies.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 21:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
Have you actually seen that discotek version of Ako, garbage, I can get better with my LD running through a cheap garbage TV.
I think we need a disclaimer posted on covers of said discs that these were mastered from LD or VHS copies.

What are you talking about? Discotek's new A-ko blu-ray is from a new film transfer, and looks like it. I think you're thinking of an earlier release. Also, you're replying to a bot that copied a post I made earlier in this thread.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 23:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

rcarlson wrote:
rein-o wrote:

What are you talking about? Discotek's new A-ko blu-ray is from a new film transfer, and looks like it. I think you're thinking of an earlier release. Also, you're replying to a bot that copied a post I made earlier in this thread.

Ah well that's what I'm taking about :ugeek:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2024, 00:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Finally received mine after a couple years of waiting. It was ordered and made privately for me and I couldn't be happier with the results! Lovely 3D printed case as well :D

Attachments:
DOMESDAY.jpg
DOMESDAY.jpg [ 171.54 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2024, 00:40 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
rcarlson wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Before the prints were found in the vault Discotek was going to Domesday the Perfect LD release and upscale it unlike their DVD release which was a very basic upscale of said LD. We all know what happened from there. A few of the special features such as the trailers were still done via Domesday and AstroRes for the Bluray. Here's from when they posted the AstroRes comparison.

Attachments:
AstroRes.jpg
AstroRes.jpg [ 74.03 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2024, 12:50 
Third post and above
Third post and above

jesuslovesgood wrote:
rcarlson wrote:
Nobody's trying to convince you to get a Domesday Duplicator. The point is this: just because it doesn't make sense for the vast majority of laserdisc-owners to have one, doesn't mean it isn't the right device for its intended use case.

I guess if any of you have the doomsday device or Domesday Duplicator device and you leave near me I guess we can make a 100 percent back up of Dark Tide. Are we expecting any blu ray releases of this or 4k scans? We know with the current environment we live in that people view this movie as trashy and some groups out there might try to stop it from getting an hd release. How common is Dark Tide on laserdisc? Do any of you own it or am I the only one?

I have it, and sent u a DM

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2024, 14:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
rcarlson wrote:
rein-o wrote:

What you’re talking about is how bad something is that you’ve never seen because it was never released. You’re talking about…out of your a**.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2024, 00:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

? I was talking about the DVD AKo, had it years ago and sold it, garbage, not worth the risk.
I don't buy Bluray stuff anymore, can't have more formats in my house.

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2