It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:11

Page 5 of 7 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help with newly aquired RLV Discs?
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 17:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Had to google what doxxing is "search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet,"

Anything I posted/reposted was all already publicly available, and the screenshot from FB above has the name blurred out.

Sorry, though don't take it so hard, rein-o gets some grief over prices above too! And $269 is more than I'd pay for that box set, never mind the $350 on it; paid around $30 plus shipping for the three box version. There is definitely some crazy overpricing that goes on in the shops here; just think $ugu$

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 18:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

He thinks he’s cool. That’s what’s amazing. He found something for nothing and is flipping it for INSANE markup and he doesn’t see why that outs him a jerk.

If your parents didn’t explain it to you then it’s too late. Obviously, you’re trying to defend yourself so that part of your brain never developed properly. If you really don’t see how charging a 20x markup on a recently acquired item you can barely identify grosses people out then we can’t explain it do you here.

If you want to blend in with decent society more easily I’d suggest keeping your finances more private. Nobody here wants to know how bad you’re ripping people off other people in the same scene. If you were ever part of any scene you’d know that already too.

Quote:
You'd hate me if I told you how little I paid for these.

Hate isn’t the right word but I find this quote of yours very revealing of your unrepentant greed. You already assumed we’d hate for for not paying enough for something but you’re surprised that we think your a jerk for selling it for too much?

It’s pretty simple. If you did nothing you deserve nothing. If you had to crawl into a sewer to get these and then eat your way out again then $300 would be fair. Buying something, marking it up massively the next day is not doing something. You are not a bond trader. These are LDs and you’re not even an expert on that. You don’t deserve the money. That’s pretty much the irritant. You’re trying get something for nothing FROM US. Get it? Still don’t get it? Maybe you have an older smarter sister you can ask about this...? Do you go to church or anything? You must know somebody moral. Everyone does.

Anyway, next time do the research yourself or just be honest. “Hi, I created a account here just to make money off of it but I’m not using the LDDB shop because I need the larger audience of idiots on Facebook to get mad money. What do you think I can bilk these rubes for? Maybe $300?”

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 18:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
just think $ugu$

Is that the Swiss guy?

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019, 19:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Had to google what doxxing is "search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet,"

Anything I posted/reposted was all already publicly available, and the screenshot from FB above has the name blurred out.

Sorry, though don't take it so hard, rein-o gets some grief over prices above too! And $269 is more than I'd pay for that box set, never mind the $350 on it; paid around $30 plus shipping for the three box version. There is definitely some crazy overpricing that goes on in the shops here; just think $ugu$

I'd say you went out of your way to not dox him.

And I agree many laserdisc are comically over priced but that's really another discussion.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 00:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

pokefraker wrote:
For the record I didn't get them expecting to flip them, I got them with the full intention of putting something them, and when both you guys and reddit informed me it was impossible that's when I decided to sell. I even mentioned how much I was looking for here, and on Reddit before making the Facebook listing.

I also updated both the Wikipedia page and the LDDB pages for the RLV discs, saying I used this site to milk information to make money is complete BS.

EDIT:

rein-o wrote:
8 bucks :think:

I highly doubt you will be trading an even up for Twin Peaks to blanks.

I want to say there was someone here years ago who had them on ebay selling them for around 15 or 20 a blank.
But one has to think if all who wanted them got them???

Good luck on flipping them, did you try facebook ldforever??

It should be noted, this is why I even made the post on the facebook group, as you recommended me trying to sell them there.

takeshi666 wrote:
Hey, you know what they say. Fools and their money are easily parted, and if he can find the right fool...

I mentioned three pages ago that I wanted to trade these for some Twin Peaks LD's, and you're the one who told me that they were likely worth far more than that set, which is currently going for $269 on LDDB.

signofzeta wrote:
What an enormous a*****e. f**k that guy.

EDIT: I have to now admit Rein-O saw this before I did. Somehow my flipper alarm didn’t go off but his did. I need to get a check up...

So am I not allowed to sell something that I no longer want, now knowing that I can't use them? Even if they're just blank discs they're still worth something to someone even if that someone isn't you or me. I've been nothing but friendly to you on this website, and I've been honest from the get-go in my intentions with these discs- so why do you feel the need to personally insult me?
audioboyz1973 wrote:
Yeah, seemed to be a case of milk us and then try to exploit them. I'm totally prepared to call that out.

What are you even calling out? I was asking the same price on this very thread (almost three pages ago) and on Reddit. I was answering questions on the facebook post about these discs and giving links to this thread and the reddit one for more information. I have since deleted the facebook post because I was concerned about you doxxing me.

Hi pokefraker,

can I just say thanks for the interesting info & the pictures you posted here.

A very cool bag & for you at a great price, well done & I mean that.

I have not bagged anything as cool LD wise but have picked up what some people may call scarce LDs at very low prices, lucky finds & very happy with them. Highly unlikely but if I was ever selling them the asking price would probably be a bit more than I paid & if that makes me some form of pariah then so be it.

If I had three of these I would hold onto one of them & sell or trade the others & I can see nothing wrong with that.

if you do pass any on I hope you are happy with whatever you get for them & whoever ends up with one of your discs is happy also.

Thanks again for the useful info & thanks to other posters here who also put on some very interesting stuff.

Cheers

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 00:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm sure someone here got the DAICON LD for Y500 or something and has it up for sale here, $500 or so.

Pokefraker, these aren't your friends, you have no one to justify yourself to here. Sell them for whatever the market will bear. Most here would actually do the same thing in your situation.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 01:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I suppose you said many but I have to say not everyone is that way. I barely care about money beyond that it is a means of survival. I value human life much higher. Of course the exploitation of other humans for financial gain is a time honored scum lord tradition.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019, 02:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I wonder if forper's meds haven't kicked in yet, always talking about no friends, OK we aren't friends in the sense but we are friendly
and I will still bring the napkins.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 22:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hard to put a value on something like a blank RLV. The reason I say "maybe if it had something recorded on it." Not trying to be a smart a** or anything. But some of these RLV's did get recorded and it might be interesting to find one that has something on it. That would be fairly rare and depending on what is on the disc, valuable to a collector vs. a blank disc that you can't do anything with. And that would also increase its rarity because it's a limited recording, albeit only 30 mins.

There was a special Hondo 3D recording on RLV and I missed the bidding on it. I would pay more for that but it was also anaglyph 3D and only 30 mins. So I would not have gone overboard on it either.

300 for a blank. The problem is, who is the intended collector? Ideally, the end-user would be someone who can record something onto it if they had the equipment, then it could be worth 300.00, maybe more, who knows. But that's a dead end. So then it becomes an oddity that might appeal to some but it's also unknown how many blank RLV discs are out there too. I have 5, you have 20, might be 100's out there for all we know, so that dilutes any mark up. How many would pay 300/disc for it to sit on shelf?

They're cool. 300 cool? No. But it really only takes one buyer willing to pay it.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 15:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Techmoan beat us to it :-)

New Techmoan video: Recordable Laserdiscs

Julien

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 16:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Forgot about this thread.
Did you ever sell these Pokefraker?? Or has your Christmas miracle happened?

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 11:21 
True fan
True fan

admin wrote:
Techmoan beat us to it :-)

New Techmoan video: Recordable Laserdiscs

Julien

Not Quite!
rein-o wrote:
Forgot about this thread.
Did you ever sell these Pokefraker?? Or has your Christmas miracle happened?

Na still got them! This isn't the right machine or format, I have the RLV discs, this is the CRV format which wouldn't work on a normal player, while mine would if we found a writer.

I think LDfan was talking about this back a few pages ago, he had some magazine scans of some of the stuff in Techmoan's video.

This is what I've been looking for below, the Nimbus LVDR 610, much larger machine haha!

Post subject: Re: RLV Discs
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 11:30 
True fan
True fan

So I found a few more RLV discs, this time they aren't blank.

I have reason to believe that the material on a couple of them may have been copied for Commerical purposes for a airline, should I add this as an entry to the Database since there's likely at least a dozen of them floating around somewhere?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 20:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

At about 8-10 it became cheaper to go to Pioneer and ask for a short run pressing ($1900+10.50/disk) than even plastic RLV's ($225, and were pretty awful)

https://www.djdesign.com/tutorial/makers.html

And if you weren't in a hurry, the 2-off Pioneer/Imation disks were better deals anyhow, since you got a fully pressed and more stable disk.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 08:04 
True fan
True fan

happycube wrote:
At about 8-10 it became cheaper to go to Pioneer and ask for a short run pressing ($1900+10.50/disk) than even plastic RLV's ($225, and were pretty awful)

https://www.djdesign.com/tutorial/makers.html

And if you weren't in a hurry, the 2-off Pioneer/Imation disks were better deals anyhow, since you got a fully pressed and more stable disk.

Yeah I've been to that site before, I also called/emailed every single name on the list of producers and nobody had any clue where one could find a Nimbus.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 17:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

... and now for $300 US you can buy a Raspberry Pi (any version will do!) and a 1080P screen (almost) as big as any CRT TV ever made, and with a dirt-cheap flash card can store many many hours of media.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 09:59 
True fan
True fan

happycube wrote:
... and now for $300 US you can buy a Raspberry Pi (any version will do!) and a 1080P screen (almost) as big as any CRT TV ever made, and with a dirt-cheap flash card can store many many hours of media.

Oh I know it's nuts.

I've found a bit more information on the Nimbus RLV recorder, mainly the amount of them produced, which is around 30 total, worldwide. They were sent out to parts of Europe and Japan, so that's a good confirmation, as we only knew of them being in the US prior.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 05:30 
True fan
True fan

Found this video randomly on youtube while searching for some other clips, I think we just found out where the color picture of the Nimbus came from (2:00 into the video).

PostPosted: 07 May 2020, 00:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

What frame numbers do your discs end at?

What happens if you try to play the other side of the disc?

PostPosted: 07 May 2020, 04:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

pokefraker wrote:
Found this video randomly on youtube while searching for some other clips.

Nice, at 2:06 they show the tape master for Foul Play (1978) [SF078-1329]

Julien

Page 5 of 7 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next