It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:15

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best video output for Pioneer 919 on a PVM 2530?
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 11:27 
Second post
Second post

I just got my first laserdisc player, a Pioneer 919, for a hell of a deal, and I have it connected to my Sony PVM 2530 with composite video for now. But I want to know my options for what’s the best picture I can get out of it on such a nice monitor like the 2530. Apparently, I cannot use component on the 919 as it would make LD movies black and white for some odd reason. I’m not well versed in what my best options are for laserdisc, as I’m far more familiar with retro gaming video output, mostly being RGB through SCART. If anyone could give me a better idea of what my options are for my 919 with my 2530, please let me know!

Post subject: Re: Best video output for Pioneer 919 on a PVM 2530?
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 11:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Oh boy

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 12:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

If I'm not mistaken, the components output on the DVL series (919 and 909) are only for dvd output, not LD.
From what I can see, your screen is a crt, so if the player is already plugged using composite, I don't think you can get a much better picture than what you have (maybe try using s-video to compare and use which you prefer). Although, while the DVL serie isn't renowned for their picture quality, maybe the laser itself isn't in a great shape and might need some cleaning and/or a proper calibration (for which I can't really help since I don't know much on that) or is just used from years of service.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 13:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I pretty much agree with the above poster, if it were me I too would be using the 919s composite phono out to the monitors BNC in option exactly as you seem to have done already. I don't know if s-video is even possible on this Sony CRT anyway, having just looked at the online user manual unless of course I've missed something?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 15:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
Oh boy

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 18:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The PVMs didn't usually feature that good comb filters tbh so you may want to try S-Video. It's a fairly old CRT after all. And yes, the PVM-2530 does indeed have an S-Video input.

Video is stored as composite on Laserdisc so in the end you are more or less bound to that. However if your DVL-919 can handle the Y/C separation better than the Sony you'd probably see some improvements by going with S-Video.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 19:22 
Third post and above
Third post and above

In my Sony 4K TV Set up, I tried both S-video and composite from my DVL-919 -> Panasonic DMR-EH69 DVD Recorder -> 4K TV.
I found that S-Video is sharper than composite. AFAIK the comb filter on DVL-919 is quite good, so S-video may be a better choice.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 20:07 
Second post
Second post

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback!

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 20:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PVMs aren’t the best displays for LD. That’s just gamer group think bleeding into home theater. Many consumer sets will dump all over PVMs in LD playback at 1/10 the price.

The reason being:

PVMs are for directors and technicians to work with. They do very little to the signal so that they can see any abnormalities. They don’t have great comb filters or any home theater related features at all. This works for classic games because you get the purest version of the picture possible.

When viewing LD or NTSC at all really one generally wants the image enhanced by the display. I’m not talking about motion smoothing or anything, nothing so gross. You want the scanlines reduced to as thin as possible. You want state of the art 3D comb filters to avoid motion artifacts, you want anti-bloom circuitry to stabilize the image, you want help with color.

The PVM will look fine, no issue. I watched Clifford on mine a while back. It’s just that those 27” Trinitrons on Craigslist for $20 will make LD look even better, also bigger, and then you can save hours on your PVM.

EDIT: I forgot to say, s-video will probably give the best results.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019, 23:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Try the s-video then try the composite, select the one that looks best in all setups and use that. It will vary depending on the electronics in the monitor. Each time you change a component test again.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2019, 17:09 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The PVM could still make a great display for watching video - they do, after all, have things like better regulated power supplies and a zillion fine adjustments etc - given some outboard processing in addition. If the comb filter and such are limited, there are standalone boxes like this old Faroudja https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_2/faroudja100.html that can add better ones. I have a massive Ikegami TM20-80R PVM, and I would probably get one of these boxes if I try out LD on it.

Disclord had good results with this VP-100 enhancer:
Quote:
I use it in place of the comb filters in my 900 and Philips CDV-488 - it's especially useful to correct the 900's chroma/luma delay - the Runco fixed that. The VP-100 has excellent chroma bandwidth and since it's a Super NTSC decoder, it decodes SuperNTSC encoded LaserDisc's perfectly. They almost look like DVD's.

I still need to figure out if I have any SuperNTSC discs myself, as I own a ($15k list) Faroudja LD-100 line doubler which also, naturally, features SuperNTSC decoding.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2019, 17:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Forper said it best but I don't want LD to look like DVD. LD looks better imo but it's preference. Just picking on that particular part of what you quoted. I'm sure that gear is nice and helps overall pq.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 22:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
PVMs aren’t the best displays for LD. That’s just gamer group think bleeding into home theater. Many consumer sets will dump all over PVMs in LD playback at 1/10 the price.

The reason being:

PVMs are for directors and technicians to work with. They do very little to the signal so that they can see any abnormalities. They don’t have great comb filters or any home theater related features at all. This works for classic games because you get the purest version of the picture possible.

When viewing LD or NTSC at all really one generally wants the image enhanced by the display. I’m not talking about motion smoothing or anything, nothing so gross. You want the scanlines reduced to as thin as possible. You want state of the art 3D comb filters to avoid motion artifacts, you want anti-bloom circuitry to stabilize the image, you want help with color.

The PVM will look fine, no issue. I watched Clifford on mine a while back. It’s just that those 27” Trinitrons on Craigslist for $20 will make LD look even better, also bigger, and then you can save hours on your PVM.

EDIT: I forgot to say, s-video will probably give the best results.

That is true, i found also consumer grade Trinitrons and Loewes the best for LD; component PVMs not very good
but composite PVMs still much better than flat tvs

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]