It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:54

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-92] Audio Noise
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 00:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I recently obtained a CLD-92 after keeping my eyes out for a CLD-3070 for a while.

There are no issues with the video, but the analogue audio out has a substantial amount of noise on it. Optical out is fine.

Normally, I would just forget about it but I noticed the transformer was extremely hot. I had it plugged in for about 15 minutes before beginning disassembly (I assumed I would find leaking/bulging capacitors on the audio board). About 10 minutes after unplugging it, the transformer was still very hot to the touch.

I saw that one of the four diodes responsible for rectification on the audio board (I think- the audio board is directly fed power out of the top of the transformer. There is a separate bridge rectifier on the power board.) looked like it had became so hot it almost desoldered itself. Removing it from the board, I saw that it was very black underneath it. On the other side, it had become so hot the trace has detached. I tested the diode and it is bad.

I am going to order 4 new diodes for the audio board to replace D401 through D404. I'm going to replace the two filter caps as well with Nichicon's UKA series.

The diodes are marked:
31DF
2 0D

I can get 31DF4 R0 or 31DF6 R0 which are 400v and 600v at 3A. I don't have the service manual to verify what the exact match is, but does anyone know if either of these should work?

Any comments, suggestions are appreciated. My hardware knowledge is not great.

Attachments:
IMG_2050.jpg
IMG_2050.jpg [ 136.98 KiB | Viewed 2857 times ]

Post subject: Re: CLD-92 Audio Noise
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 00:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Diodes and filter caps:

Attachments:
IMG_2051.jpg
IMG_2051.jpg [ 135.39 KiB | Viewed 2856 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 00:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Wish I could help more.
The only thing I know is if you are doing caps that you can use a larger voltage but you must use the same microfarad.
Hope someone else can chime in.

Also if you are buying from an electronics person who knows their stuff they should be able to answer, the guy I used to buy
caps for my arcade machines would help me with questions back in the day before the interweb.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 00:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If your only issue is audio then you either need to focus on the +/-15V power outputs or verify the RF level is not weak. +/-15Vlines are mainly for the audio decode/output sections. RF levels getting a little weak will produce dropouts in the digital audio before the level gets low enough to affect the Video and Analog audio tracks.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 00:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I’d actually re-flow the solder at the droid first if you thing that is the problem. I’d recommend GI851 Fast switching rectifiers as they will also help lower the noise floor over the conventional rectifiers.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 03:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Wish I could help more.
The only thing I know is if you are doing caps that you can use a larger voltage but you must use the same microfarad.

Yep Nichicon makes the exact ones that I need thankfully. 2200uf 35v. Should fit well physically too. I've recapped with Nichicon's UKA line before to nice results.

Thanks for your response Kurtis. I was concerned about a weak laser before purchase, especially after reading your post here: Pioneer CLD-92 Distorted Digital Audio
The audio sounded great via TOSLINK, so that should mean the RF level is good right? No notable issues with video. I should have checked the RF level anyway, but the overheating was so severe I was afraid to power it on again.

Pulling the diode from the board and testing it shows it is bad for sure though. Continuity in both directions. I will check for the +/-15V after replacement.

I'll order GI851 and replace all four.

Attachments:
File comment: Burn mark
IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2055.jpg [ 97 KiB | Viewed 2847 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 03:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Here's a photo of how the audio board is powered. I've never seen this before- wiring coming out of the top of a transformer.

Attachments:
File comment: CLD-92 Transformer
IMG_2054.jpg
IMG_2054.jpg [ 124.61 KiB | Viewed 2847 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 22:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The +/-15V also feeds the DAC so yes that could cause the bad digital audio while the TOSLINK is good.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2019, 15:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I replaced the rectifier diodes and the filter caps. Now there is now power at all. The wires running from the top of the transformer to the audio board show no voltage and the secondary side of the power board seems dead as well. Time to pull the power board so I can get a better look.

I'm thinking the transformer cooked itself when one of the rectifier diodes died on the audio board?

Post subject: Re: [CLD-92] Audio Noise
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2020, 05:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Update on this. After a lot of more or less hopeless pondering, I figured out how to get this back up and running. The thermal fuse inside the transformer was for sure blown. I am unable to simply replace the fuse because this is a laminated core transformer that has been welded together. I also looked under the tape and saw no signs of a fuse. Additionally, I could not find a suitable replacement for this transformer. After removing it from the power supply board, I saw what appeared to be the legs of a fuse wrapped around two posts on the primary side. I jumped these, presumably bypassing the fuse, and power came back on the secondary side. Voltages looked good and my repair on the audio board worked great. I ran a full LD and the only issue I noticed was the transformer was a little warm afterwards. Not a good sign, so I'll need to look into why that is happening before I consider this repaired. Additionally, I'll need to see about getting a low threshold thermal fuse to put on the side of the transformer for safety reasons. Other than that the picture looks great and the sound is back to normal.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2020, 00:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I know you always go super far into repairing your players, thanks for posting the pics and details.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2020, 01:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thank you for the comment.

I'm trying to do my best to document my adventures in repair and laserdisc hardware in general. The efforts to revive fallen players will have to go further as time moves on, especially when dealing with good ones.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]