It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:48

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Finally upgraded my TV
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2019, 10:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:

honestly I run my 36 inch wide CRT daily for a couple hours average and my power bills are minimal. Not as minimal as if I had a modern set but the difference saved isn't significant even with our ridiculous Australian power prices.

The difference is significant for me, my power bills dropped noticeably over the year when I changed to led years ago. But then I was using the crt more than just 2 or 3 hours per day usually as I used it for everything (gaming and video), even more on weekends.

And that was years ago before prices went up. Not sure what it's like up there but prices vary from state to state.

Summer would always beat the hell out of my wallet because ac too.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 04:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

deadlegion wrote:
The difference is significant for me, my power bills dropped noticeably over the year when I changed to led years ago. But then I was using the crt more than just 2 or 3 hours per day usually as I used it for everything (gaming and video), even more on weekends.

And that was years ago before prices went up. Not sure what it's like up there but prices vary from state to state.

Summer would always beat the hell out of my wallet because ac too.

Hi deadlegion,

I get the power cost thing, here in the UK gas & electricity costs are not cheap by any means but I do understand that it can be quite a bit more expensive in other countries.

A few years ago a neighbour was upgrading his TV (he likes to go for the new latest thing) & he kindly offered his plasma TV to whoever wanted it in the area. I had then fairly recently got a new TV so passed on it. Someone else in the street took up the offer & he was more than happy with it, 50-ish inches or so I think & that was big for the time.

All was good until quite a while later talking to the chap who took the TV I asked if he was still using the plasma TV & the answer was no. He was happy with the TV, not a bad picture for the time & more than big enough for him but when his quarterly power bills came in higher than normal he asked if there was an issue with the supply.

He really thought there was a meter issue but got a bit of a shock when no problems were found - the supply meter was performing as it should when checked by the supplier Scottish Power. "Have you bought or are you using any new electrical equipment?" which was the obvious question to which he replied no. The technician apparently asked if any other goods were being used more than they had in the past & again, no. It was only when the technician was leaving he asked if the TV was on longer than usual as that could be the issue. Again it was no, it was only then it occurred to him that the TV was new to him about 12-ish months before & he mentioned this to the tech. The tech right away said that was it. His TV was on a minimum of 8 hours a day, longer at weekends & in the techs words "plasma TVs suck power". He said that it was using a minimum of 400 watts so it would cause a rise in power use. Not sure what fairly early large plasma TVs use but that is quite high I would think.

Shortly after that the plasma TV was replaced & he did comment that he felt a bit silly as "the clue was in the heat the bloody thing pumped out" so perhaps avoid plasma units.

I do recall moving one years ago for someone & it was rather heavy - not large CRT heavy but still not light.

I take it power costs are not cheap in Australia, not that they are cheap here btw!!

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 06:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've got a plasma set and it has a tremendous heat aura when it's on.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 07:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've got an older desktop PC that I hardly ever use for the same reason. Laptop uses less power overall and I don't game on PC or rarely do any transcoding so the desktop rarely gets used. Anything I'm not using is switched off at the mains I don't leave it in standby. The fridge and hws are always on (the latter only runs on off peak). The laptop is usually running 24/7 for reasons :shifty: as are 2x network switches.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 07:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
I take it power costs are not cheap in Australia, not that they are cheap here btw!!

Well our country is blessed with effectively unlimited natural resources. We actually used to have the cheapest power in the western world, back in the '80s, it helped make Australian manufacturing competitive and we made everything. You could walk out of high school into a factory job and buy a house and a holden with no debt.

Now our country has been hijacked by activists on a lie and we're not allowed to use our resources anymore, only export them to countries that burn them in much less efficient and clean ways. Nuclears out too (we have the world's biggest reserves of uranium and the most tectonically stable land on earth) again, because of hysterical activists that dictate to our government. So anyway now we have the 2nd or 3rd most expensive power in the world and almost all the factories are gone and we make coffees for each other and rent.

We're f***ed but I'm still gonna run my CRT, not run a car or eat out, or go on holiday but I'm gonna run my goddamn power guzzling TV until I die or it dies. Eat s**t greenies.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 13:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm tempted to unplug my CRT and Plasma for a month or two and see if it has an impact.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 13:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
I'm tempted to unplug my CRT and Plasma for a month or two and see if it has an impact.

My bills are quarterly atm. In summer I usually turn off the hws every second day to save a little more money, don't need much hot water that time of year.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 14:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

deadlegion wrote:
gypsy wrote:

My bills are quarterly atm. In summer I usually turn off the hws every second day to save a little more money, don't need much hot water that time of year.

We were thinking of getting a timer for the hot water heater, this way its not heating water when we don't use it.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2019, 14:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Hey guys, you know devices have existed for 100+ years that can measure exactly the current being used? You don’t have to plug it in and wait six weeks for the bill.

Modern devices can be almost unbelievably efficient with their switching supplies and Energy Star compliant power saving strategies but there’s more to it than that. With old machines like a Sega Genesis the power supply is a transformer type and it uses more juice just being plugged in with no Genesis attached than the thing does when running with with an aftermarket modern power supply. So is the device efficient or not? Well, when running full blast an XBone will burn massively more juice than a Genesis ever could but it’s more efficient when off. It depends on how it’s used.

Anything new is efficient but not always in a meaningful way. The definition of “efficiency” for them isn’t how much juice it will use for you, it’s how much juice it uses to do the work it does. So most cars today are MASSIVELY more efficient but still get the same 30MPG they did 30 years ago. This is because they weigh 1000 lbs more and have double the power. The XBone, when measured by bits flipped per watt or whatever is literally millions of times more efficient than the Genesis but you will use less power with a Genesis because it flips billions fewer bits.

An LED backlit LCD TV will use less energy per inch per lumen per line etc but I have no doubt there are lower consumption TVs from the old days, they’re just 13” diag though and it’s 2019 so you NEED a 60”, right? I have a Samsung 32” here that was so dim with all its power saving options on that I couldn’t even read text and that’s the mode who’s efficiency they advertised. I had to switch all that crap off just to get it visible. So now much much does it burn compared to my CRT? My CRT doesn’t have an Android phone in it with a gig of RAM and 128bit chips that spin at gigahertz speeds.

One of the only Youtubers I can stand recently did video about this old/new thing. It’s not that scientific but it gets the point across.

https://youtu.be/ZjsgXJxsT5c

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2