It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:44

Page 3 of 4 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Are you OK with showing listing year/month in shop items?
Poll ended at 25 Oct 2019, 03:59
 Yes please, it's useful to brush virtual dust  65%  65%  [ 22 ]
 Yes but should reflect the most recent update  6%  6%  [ 2 ]
 No, I love secrecy wrapped in mystery  29%  29%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 34

Post subject: Re: Should we display listing date on shops' items?
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 19:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
laserblazer wrote:
No! Why is it that someone makes a feature request on this forum, 4 guys like it and it changes without a discussion first? I've requested a way to have a sale in my shop years ago with repeated request and no action. Instead I need to make it more complicated by basing my sale on the current best offer system which makes it difficult for the buyer to buy. Users still can't make a best offer on their phone and I can't make a counter offer on my phone. Let's fix that first and not put in features that make most of your sellers upset. Iv'e been an advocate of LDDB since 2007 and I sell LDs exclusively on this site. I've sold about 9% of every LD sold on this site. Just saying that you might reach out and ask your dedicated shops about changes before you implement them.
Thanks,
Ron
Laser Blazer

This would be a great thing to implement. I actually paid the invoice I got from you today on my phone. I sent the offer before I headed out, so I was unaware of this issue.

I will add you are one of the best out there. Reasonable prices, willing to deal, items well packaged and quick to resolve any issues.

Convenience is nice and okay so about to shoot myself in the foot, but essentially all i have to say is what are you afraid of here Mr Laser Blazer????
We're talking about how long a title sat in your shop. That's it. Period.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 23:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
gypsy wrote:
laserblazer wrote:
No! Why is it that someone makes a feature request on this forum, 4 guys like it and it changes without a discussion first? I've requested a way to have a sale in my shop years ago with repeated request and no action. Instead I need to make it more complicated by basing my sale on the current best offer system which makes it difficult for the buyer to buy. Users still can't make a best offer on their phone and I can't make a counter offer on my phone. Let's fix that first and not put in features that make most of your sellers upset. Iv'e been an advocate of LDDB since 2007 and I sell LDs exclusively on this site. I've sold about 9% of every LD sold on this site. Just saying that you might reach out and ask your dedicated shops about changes before you implement them.
Thanks,
Ron
Laser Blazer

This would be a great thing to implement. I actually paid the invoice I got from you today on my phone. I sent the offer before I headed out, so I was unaware of this issue.

I will add you are one of the best out there. Reasonable prices, willing to deal, items well packaged and quick to resolve any issues.

Convenience is nice and okay so about to shoot myself in the foot, but essentially all i have to say is what are you afraid of here Mr Laser Blazer????
We're talking about how long a title sat in your shop. That's it. Period.

Who cares how long a title sat in a store ? Is anyone losing sleep over pricing and how long items are listed ?

This is a niche hobby whose format ended nearly 20 years ago.
Man what an ugly tone.....

No one is forcing anyone to purchase here.
If one does homework, one may likely find a better price time and effort considering.
For really rare gems one may never even get the opportunity to purchase at any cost.

For most titles, dumpsters are just standing by to consume entire collections....

Let's ease up a tad folks.....

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 00:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

laserblazer wrote:
No! Why is it that someone makes a feature request on this forum, 4 guys like it and it changes without a discussion first?

Well, as of this writing you have a post count of two (2). That may be part of it...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 01:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So I go into the pawn shop and I see that Roland 808 there and it’s $1800 and I just decide this time I’m going to get it.

I say, hey, I’ll give you $700 for it. And he’s like, it’s a CLASSIC. It’s worth twice what I’m asking! So I say, if it’s worth so much then why has it been there every time I come in this store for the last seven years? You clearly can’t move it in a reasonable amount of time so it’s either window dressing to keep the shop looking good or you really want to sell it and you’re just hoping to cash in on the right idiot on the right day. It ain’t happening, sell it to me. End of story, I paid $900 and a dumpster full of alarm clocks. I got to keep the dumpster. .

This story is a fabrication but to anyone who “can’t see why” they’d want the info it is the perfect parable. Knowing how long he’s been sitting on something unable to get his gouging price is one of the most powerful bargaining tools there is. That’s why ebay has had it since they only auctioned stamps.

Sellers who want $1800 for a copy of Sixth Day they found in a crap bin at Hard Off! 16 years ago won’t want you have this tool. I’m a little surprised that some are so transparent or disingenuous about it. I’m not super concerned about it really but some people are and they’re kind outing themselves because there’s no honorable reason I can think of to be against. “To much info”? It’s the Laserdisc DATABASE for friggn crassness hazzen sassen. There’s usually only a single sentence description for an individual LD. “NM+ w/ obi” isn’t exactly a tidal wave of data.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 02:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Zeta, why not expand your criticism to critiquing patrons who throw down big money at Sotheby and Christie's auctions ?

Value is 100% subjective.

I charge high prices for uncommon and unopened laserdisc titles. To date not one platter has arrived broken after hundreds of unopened title transactions. Patrons email thanking me for my time and consideration previewing titles and double boxing for secure transit.

For high priced titles I include a caveat for returns on a TRANSACTION by TRANSACTION basis in case of buyer remorse or for ANY reason one would wish a return. Only once has a patron taken advantage of this after, once again, hundreds transactions. This agreement is not in my store policies to whom it may concern.

My feedback reflects my grading and packaging. Top tier customer service is reflected by patrons in their words.
I have one negative strike and that was from a person who never even recieved a shipment from me !
(Still like sand in my underwear).

I thank Julien for tweaking and improving the site over the past decade since my store was created and will further support improvements as time marches on.

Not one member has been forced to shop at any store on the LDDB.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 03:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m not in that market or that income bracket, high end auctions. Nobody who buys $28M Ferraris or (probably) fake waterlilies hangs out on web forums either so that wish is a bit unlikely to come true.

None of that matters at the moment as the conversation is about obfuscation of info commonly available when buying all sorts of things from all sorts of places. The conversation seems to have quickly become a sellers vs the world situation which I wouldn’t have expected. I expected crickets if anything.

So why all the action? If you’re not deliberately manipulating the market through false scarcity then how else can that info hurt you or any seller? It’s nice that you have so many wonderful facts about yourself to relay to us but we aren’t talking about your feedback or how you pack things.

The fact that the LD world is small is irrelevant. Gouging is gouging. If it takes tricks to make people believe high prices makes sense...maybe they don’t make sense.

“Why can’t all the people (I’m profiting from) just get along?” This is what I mean about honesty and actually saying what you mean and “honorable” behavior. I don’t know what you charge for stuff or what the markup is because I don’t buy that stuff but it must be huge for you (all the transparent sellers who showed up for this thread) or you wouldn’t be here crapping on it. It’s clearly not nothing. It’s clearly a more important topic than I thought because it got the sellers out to campaign against it.

I suspect it won’t be implemented to calm down the huckersters. It’s not going to make or break the place. I’ll never think of some of these shops the same way again though. You guys really don’t understand how to argue your cause for beans.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 04:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello!

I'm going on a trip for the next few days so, to cool things down, I disabled the "Added YY/MM" display for now.
But let's keep the discussion going, it's interesting!

If these were BD/4K, the listing date might be a crucial information.
But for discs manufactured up to 40+ years ago, I see nothing wrong with being listed in a shop for a long time.

Could everyone AGAINST it make a good argument for not showing this information publicly?

Julien

PS: and, yes, LDDB features usually get added by a discussion of 4 people because a lot of people come to read but few actually contribute or send feedback. It's been like this since the beginning of LDDb.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 04:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

"Deliberately manipulating the market to create false scarcity..... "
Wow.....
"Tricks" you typed....
Geez man....

Not going to engage you about your perceptions on that score.

Instead I have more wonderful facts about myself :
When people purchase through my store they are buying "me".
My time, my energy, and my commitment to customer service.
Titles that are not sealed are spun up to check for visual and/or audio anomalies before being shipped out after purchase. Correspondence in the form of introduction, demographics confirmation, and shipping status updates once titles are in transit. Hand written thank you notes are sent on receipts featuring Gamera photo stills. I leave prompt feedback once a patron has paid, believing that they have 100% fulfilled their part of our business transaction.
All money made from sales over the years has allowed me to expand my personal collection and reinvest in stock.
I am very proud of my LD collection....

I could type more wonderful things about myself, however I am satisfied with this posting.

"Sellers vs buyers" you may see it that way, and others as well. Your opinions.

There is nothing machiavellian about my choice to wish an opt out option for the proposed changes to listings.
If a title has been listed for over a decade or only a few weeks, what's the difference to anyone ?
My preference is to have some say over my offerings vs no say at all.

Heck, I may like the chronology aspect to listings, however I am inclined to always prefer options, not only as a member here but in all my endeavours.

No one is forced to purchase from anyone.
Let the market play out....

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 18:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

It might have nominal value for me as a seller to know the "shelf life" of rival copies. I can't see it being useful for anyone else. If I don't like a Best Offer, I won't accept it no matter how long the title has been sitting there. I vote you make it easy on yourself, Julien. Keep the dates.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 19:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

As an afterthought: What I find very useful is the bid ranges on the watch list. I'd like to know how long some of those phantom high-bidders have been there. LOL

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 19:36 
Third post and above
Third post and above

No, it serves no significance. Quite frankly, it will raise additional issues for sellers, like more questions from anal retentive buyers. If they see a laserdisc in a store for years, it will give the buyer more incentive to contact the seller and lower the price and such.

I truly believe that an optional "make offer" button is more ideal.

UJ

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 20:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gandjrarities wrote:
As an afterthought: What I find very useful is the bid ranges on the watch list. I'd like to know how long some of those phantom high-bidders have been there. LOL

I try to remember when I put a wishlist bounty on an LD but I can see how people would forget. I believe I only have one or two active currently.

Edit: Something that I feel happens a lot here is sellers don't update their prices much to reflect the current rate. Not all sellers are guilty of this and you can always message the seller to see if they are willing to move on the price more than even half off but it happens a lot and I imagine will happen even more as LD becomes less and less relevant.

Examples

Repeating on this one but I bought an LD for $25 on eBay. Listings here are $75 and $100.

Looking at another LD. Some copies up on eBay for $15-20. Listings here are $40 and $50.

I could go on and on but I think these two suffice. Sometimes it goes the other way as well. My point is that it is useful to see if those have been sitting for a long time (thus simply a lack of price adjustment) or if they were recently added and the seller just wants a price they aren't likely to get at the moment. If it's the latter I would rather just save myself the time and not message them.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 20:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

unclejay73 wrote:
No, it serves no significance. Quite frankly, it will raise additional issues for sellers, like more questions from anal retentive buyers. If they see a laserdisc in a store for years, it will give the buyer more incentive to contact the seller and lower the price and such.

UJ

Beyond parody, beyond cliche.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 23:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

unclejay73 wrote:

UJ

If they see a laserdisc in a store for years, it will give the buyer more incentive to contact the seller and lower the price and such.

Is that really an issue?

That is often how markets for want of a better word work.

Do you have to deal with many "anal retentive buyers"? Are you happy to take their money if you are a seller?

Anal retentive customers offering perhaps not enough money, life must be a b**ch.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 01:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Quote:
There is nothing machiavellian about my choice to wish an opt out option for the proposed changes to listings.
If a title has been listed for over a decade or only a few weeks, what's the difference to anyone ?

Again, pretending to not understand something. I’ve already explained it very well, I think. I don’t believe you don’t understand it. Should I? I chose to believe your are an unrepentant capitalist rather than a complete idiot. Don’t be insulted, those are the choices you gave me. But because you are repeating this lie that you don’t get what good the info is...I don’t trust you.

You DO know what good it is, that’s why you’re here complaining about it. Right? Am I wrong about that? You or another seller repeatedly saying you don’t get what good the info is while campaigning against it is hurting your cause. When you do it again with your next post you will hurt it even more.

If you’re sitting on a $1000 disc for five years then we can see what you see, that it’s only worth $1000 to some person who hasn’t yet seen it. Everyone who’s in the actual LD market is passing it by. We wait for you to lower the price. Amazingly some sellers do this already, since lowering the price of stuff that won’t move is retail 101. You can’t buy a new 1997 Escort from the Ford lot today. They lower the price instead of raising it. Your car lot would have a 1983 LeCar on it for $345,000 and you “wouldn’t see why” people were torn between thinking it was a joke or a scam.

If you sit on something with an insane price refusing to sell it for anything less then YOU are the one who need to learn about “letting the market play out”. If you have the only copies in the world and you won’t sell it then YOU ARE GUILTY OF PRICE FIXING. Not guilty in any court but guilty in reality. You control the price. You’ve frozen it at what you want it to be. You and LD_fan or whatever his name is with all the music videos.

All that stuff about people buying “you”. They buy your hype, clearly, but you’re just shipping around other people’s art, adding a firehouse tax of unknown magnitude. It’s not like you’re hand assembling custom brassieres or something.

I feel like a friggn idiot for typing all this since I don’t buy expensive LDs. I don’t even know what they are because I don’t care whatsoever for hype for value. The whole scene deeply offends me. But I’m sort of on the side of the sellers. I honestly hope admin turns it off because we need these carnie crab in a bucket sellers more than we need another bargain and it only hurts the dim bulbs that get hoodwinked into paying big money for crap. The thing is, I just can’t let the kind of BS I’m seeing in this thread go unchallenged. It’s so obvious and so smelly.

A while back the head of the Amway tried to win the Michigan governorship. Dick Devos. His horrible wife Betsy is now Secretary of Education. One of the things he actually campaigned on was repealing the “truth in pricing law” which basically said that everything in Michigan has to be priced and sell for the price that’s on it. He lost! And why not? It doesn’t take a Richard Feynman so see that he’s a) head of a legal pyramid scheme and b) price tags protect customers. He was as transparent as glass and so are the sellers in this thread. You guys really screwed yourselves, IMO. You should have left your post counts at zero.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 03:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Signofzeta, you are the one complaining here.

Good is relative and subjective. What is good for you may not be good for me.

I pretend nothing sir.

Are you a socialist ? Do you find yourself resentful about a great many things out of your control ?

Why not try minding YOUR business instead of other people's businesses.
Just a suggestion.

I am ok with sitting on my stock. If someone cares to haggle about any priced title that is between them and I.
None of your business sir.

"Mind your own business" was minted on early colonial coins. I wish they would bring it back.
Too many people minding others business these days in the states.
However if your a communist/socialist that is your prime directive. Minding others business.....

You infer a great deal signofzeta, throwing around words like hype, trust, idiot, and capitalist.
Inference is not knowing. Inference is speculation. Or simply guessing. Also assuming.
Inference based on facts can be quite accurate.
Sadly your inference regarding my situation is based on subjective interpretation and mostly in error.

How is "my time, my energy, and my commitment to customer service" equated with hype ?
All the thank you notes after receiving overgraded titles is the icing on the cake for me.
Patrons who take the time to email gratitude after spinning up their new titles, no matter what the price, is what this hobby is all about to me.
I wonder what your feedback rating would be, based on our known grading and packaging percentages signofzeta ?
How much energy would you commit to reflect time, commitment, and the full disclosure of any and all imperfections ?
My feedback rating is historical fact and open for all to review as is anyone's.
Signofzeta feedback is 100% voluntary..... I am certain you have some opinion as to how it is connived and manipulated though. That is the magic of cynicism and resentment.

I trust people I can look in the eye. (Or not). Otherwise, sorry, I am not inclined to trust anyone by my own default assessment.
So on that score we are agreed. I am good with and prefer you not to trust me......

Its been invigorating, borderline boring now.....
Keep it coming though, I will go toe to toe with your ranting inferences anyday of the week.

Last edited by firehorse_44 on 27 Sep 2019, 09:45, edited 5 times in total. _________________
Acta Non Verba .....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum ....
Si Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc ......

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 05:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

unclejay73 wrote:

I guess you have to have dollar signs in your eyes for this sentence to make sense, because it doesn't make any to me.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 19:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I like the option to show how long people have been trying to "sell" these "rare" discs and how many are truly interested in purchasing them rather
than to just "like" said disc or object in their fantasy world.

Wow, I just got back and see that this is over 3 pages.
Guess the "real sellers" are upset about such an idea.

I just want to see how long a disc sits in my shop on LDDB and when I have it listed both here and ebay and when I have to come
here to remove said sold disc.

Its nice to see people who are buying these items from estates and then trying to make 2 bucks off it and how may are truly interested
in buying said items.

Seems like the used media collectards are going away or collecting only because they remember grandpa had them or spoke highly of them.

Lets truly see how many we sell and if its really worth the risk or effort to keep these high pre-crash prices going strong into the next
decade.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 20:22 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I for one would like to see the feature, but would also like it as an optional feature.

I usesually sell to NL based buyers, and since the medium never really took off here ( far too expensive ), I have titles for sale in a box on my couch, that have been there from before I moves last in 2008. Quite some people in the NL want LaserDisc, but wil only pay € 1 per disk or barely € 5 for a DTS disk. So I'd rather not sell, and wait for some one who does appreciate the title for what it is, and sell it then.
These would be in my shop for a long time ( or 'till some one buy the whole lot in one go ).

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 21:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

stalbrch wrote:
I for one would like to see the feature, but would also like it as an optional feature.

I usesually sell to NL based buyers, and since the medium never really took off here ( far too expensive ), I have titles for sale in a box on my couch, that have been there from before I moves last in 2008. Quite some people in the NL want LaserDisc, but wil only pay € 1 per disk or barely € 5 for a DTS disk. So I'd rather not sell, and wait for some one who does appreciate the title for what it is, and sell it then.
These would be in my shop for a long time ( or 'till some one buy the whole lot in one go ).

:clap: Good for you, I'm glad property in the NL is so cheap that you can sit on stuff that you have no interest in keeping and try
to sell for over 10 years and even paid gas, truck rental and possibly people to move said stuff.

Just had to help clean out an estate, so if nobody has dealt with death and junk in a house do that then gripe about someone trying to
"out you" on how long you have been sitting on something.

I for one am glad to know how long I've been sitting on some of my stuff in my shops that will sit there for another 10 years.
I'll be listing it on ebay and selling off a lot there as well as here.

Make an offer and even contact, if you die before me I'll buy it back at your estate sale :wave:

Page 3 of 4 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next