It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:29

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-R7G] How good is it?
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2019, 14:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'm looking into buying the Pioneer CLD-R7G. Most comments about the player I've read on (several) online forums are favorable, and all of them put together would place the R7G somewhere below the crème de la crème, X0, X9, 97, and S2, but with very good players such as the 99, S9, and slightly better than the 703/04. Is this a fair assessment?

Also, I've read several comments talking about that you should use the S-video connection with the R7G since it's composite out is only of mid level quality. Is this the case? I've got a Panasonic plasma ST60, which lacks the S-video input, so composite is my only way of watching LD's. Although the 3D comb filter in the ST60 is pretty good (I don't really have anything to compare it with, but it does make a significant difference when compared to it being shut off). Finally, what do you think would be a fair price for the R7G in good working condition with the original remote? Looking forward to some input.

Note: I should mention that I appreciate an "analog" look when it comes to watching movies. That's why I prefer some LD titles over their DVD counterparts, so players that make movies look overly digitized, sharpened and DNR'ed are out.

Post subject: Re: How good is the Pioneer CLD-R7G?
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2019, 22:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s a very good player. Better than many Elite models that came before it.

You should hook it up both ways and judge for yourself which is better. We can’t tell you anything you can see with your own eyes looking at your own stuff in your own room. In period the s-video output was intended to be best but these days there are many ways of handling video better than the best stuff from back then so composite may very well work better on your setup.

Calibrate the display to the player using Video Essentials (1996) [ID3487ISF] and turn the brightness and contrast WAY WAY down and you’ll be happy with the image of this player on any decent TV. If you try to make it as bright as your Blu-rays so you can watch it on a 100” screen with all the windows open on a sunny day expect it to look like blown out aliased crap.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 02:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

To sidetrack this one.

I just picked up a copy of Hellraiser on DVD, the candle scene when Frank is opening the box has some major dots and digital issues that I've never seen before.
I know its the cheapie TV that I got from my neighbor who was tossing it since he's turning into a luddite but its pretty amazing that I've
never seen these types of issues on DVDs before.

I've seen the black or block issues but not these dots in the bright areas.

So any format will have issues if your set is not adjusted.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 12:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I owned an R7G for several years until selling it earlier this year for around £/€600, it was a mint example both cosmetically & mechanically. It's a super machine with the most advanced 3D comb filter ever fitted to any Pioneer player (X0 & X9 inc.) and when using its s-video out the image quality was very close to my HLD-X9 on well mastered LDs e.g. The Fifth Element, Star Wars Trilogy etc. although the performance gap perhaps widened a little when running discs with poorer quality transfers. The big downside with this player though is that unlike most other machines it's performance when switching to the composite output is a huge disappointment; in my system the image appeared very soft indeed, infact the CLD-925 produces a far better result especially via the Lumagen 2144 processor. In my humble opinion I wouldn't advise the R7G as a particularly good choice and especially as your display isn't fitted with an s-video input. Finally I thought R7G image did tend towards the digital look which is no surprise for such a late player, perhaps you should be looking to obtain something on the lines of a CLD-97 or similar for that smoother more analogue kind of image you mention is your preference?

Last edited by laserfanhld-gb on 23 Jul 2020, 08:38, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Pioneer HLD-X9/CLD-925/CLD-2950
OPPO BDP-105D EU
ARCAM AVR-600
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 15:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
Finally I thought R7G image did tend towards the digital look which is no surprise for such a late player, perhaps you should be looking to obtain something on the lines of a CLD-97 or similar for that smoother more analogue kind of image you mention is your preference?

While I never really noticed this I have heard this many times.

And yes, if you are looking for an analog image 97 or even older player like the Tatsuke fave 3030 but that's a single sided player.
You could look for any of the 3070, 3080, CLD-91 or 92 they are older but will give you the best bang for your buck in a certain price
and age range.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 22:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Kul att se fler från Sverige på forumet! Om du har hittat en R7G i Töcksfors är det med all sannolikhet min gamla. :)

Like mentioned before the composite output doesn't offer anything too special (you've got noise reduction for chroma and luma but those work best in S-video), but when actually using S-video I found it to be a good player for sure. Excellent comb filter with very little rainbowing and practically no dot crawl. Quite stable image overall. I clearly prefer it over the traditional PAL/NTSC players like D515 or D925.

Got some screenshots from the R7G for you here if you'd like to see.
https://www.minhembio.com/Filmsamlaren1/350951/

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 23:26 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks for all the feedback!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 22:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If you have a good comb filter inside your composite monitor, maybe you dont need the expensive R7G

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 03:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ertoili wrote:
If you have a good comb filter inside your composite monitor, maybe you dont need the expensive R7G

Yes but you usually need a CRT for that I believe?

Back in the day my setup was an R7G and nice CRT that I can't remember who made it.
It was not any flat or super flat and did have a 3DY comb filter built in.

But it only lasted about 7 years and then after caps went I decided to go LED flat screen and it works fine.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 08:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Definitely you win in the screen size factor for pleasantly watching movies from Laserdisc i recognize that.Im just saying to the folk that a R7G is not necessary if he can grab a good cheap crt, it will do the de-comb work

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 08:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Usually we forget that only S-VHS decks can output a true natural S-Video signal from a VHS tape. Laserdisc is a full totally mixed raw composite signal, so the S-VHS deck will make wonders with the tape and the S-Video output of the LD player will create a benefit "or not" depending on the tv.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 17:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Had an R7G for many years before selling to pay for repairs to my vehicle at the time. Very good player and one of the LD players where the S-Video output is preferred over the composite output as the NEC comb filter in the R7G is arguably the newest and most advanced in any LD player.

I tried both composite and S-video from the R7G to the Sony KV-40XBR800 CRT I was using at the time. As most know, the 3D comb filter in the later XBR TVs is AMAZING, but even that filter couldn't clean the picture up as good as the comb filter in the R7G. In comparison, I also had a Runco LJR-I LD player and connected that to the XBR via composite, and the XBR filter cleaned up the picture as expected.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 18:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
..the NEC comb filter in the R7G is arguably the newest and most advanced in any LD player

I'll substitute arguably with definitely and only the H9 shares it (in an overall lower video noise design). About the only ways to beat this comb filter might be with the Texas Instruments TVP 5160 as in the Crystalio II or Lumagen HDQ (though this is an old design now itself) or definitely with the Analogue Devices 3D comb filter as per the Lumagen 2144 or DVDO Duo (ADV7800) or other of their chips like the ADV7842, in favour with many LD fans for it's current availability on an evaluation board.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 15:33 
True fan
True fan

Quote:
Analogue Devices 3D comb filter as per the Lumagen 2144 or DVDO Duo (ADV7800) or other of their chips like the ADV7842, in favour with many LD fans for it's current availability on an evaluation board.

I was interested in getting one of these to play with. I did a quick search but didnt come up with anything. Do you know what websites are selling these eval boards in the uk?

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 20:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The G means it has built-in LD+G decoder, doesn't it?

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 20:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
The G means it has built-in LD+G decoder, doesn't it?

I don't know, I guess it could be.

This player does have the decoder built in.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 08:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I really cannot give a proper review as my R7G is only my third LD player and not using the s-video.
I will when the retrotink 2x mini arrives and may make another comment.

First one was a CLD 2710K
Picture was terrible. Terrible.

I remember my older brother had a Pioneer LD unit in the hayday.
No autoflip, black, ac3 no idea what the model was.

I knew LD looked alot better.

Got a D590 which was like day and night, LD like i remembered.

Long story short and i owned a R7G.
Love it, to my eyes it does surprise me at times that i am watching a old failed format.
Particularly later released LD, for example 2000 Phantom menace looks much much better compared to the D590.
I compared a old title 1984 released the Exorcist and the R7G only looked slighty better

Comb filter settings is yet another thing to fiddle around with TV settings to help the movie look best as it can to your Eyeballs.
D-EXT setting im not 100% sure but to my eyeballs it makes some jap discs look better.
May just be my TV but thats my short input as a owner.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 10:53 
True fan
True fan

Never use D-ext because it crushes blacks. Adjust brightness on your tv for improved picture.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 11:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

odotb3 wrote:
Never use D-ext because it crushes blacks. Adjust brightness on your tv for improved picture.

Fair enough, like i said i use tv settings but my eyeballs find in some Jap titles look better with D-EXT
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 16:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

odotb3 wrote:
I was interested in getting one of these to play with. I did a quick search but didnt come up with anything. Do you know what websites are selling these eval boards in the uk?

Digikey, they have an "Australian website" in AUD but the board still shipped from the US; not sure if they hold any local stock at all. Called their support number and ended up talking to someone in the US. Possibly the same situation for the UK?

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next