It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:06

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: US TERMINATOR 2 boxed sets - some help if possible please...
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2019, 20:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi folks.

A long time ago (1997-ish or thereabouts) when laserdiscs were still being talked about at exhibitors meetings TERMINATOR 2 was mentioned, most of the comments were around what were then the very high (for an LD title) number of editions released worldwide & the numbers pressed/sold.

The T2 US boxed sets foil on the front editions were talked about in a little detail & it was quite interesting, mentioned back then as apparently the last of quite a long run had been pressed & no more were to be issued. The figures were gone into in a bit of detail & the total number pressed was 77,000 over the three years or so that it was being issued .

It appears that the sales on release were much higher than initially projected. The first projected number required was 7,000 & that was to include "held stock" & that was what was expected over the first year or so but it does not mean that the 7,000 were pressed at the one time. Not sure how many were pressed on the first run but it looks like PIONEER US were pressing more discs very promptly after the release date to keep up with the very high unexpected demand. The foil on the front cover changed over the total run thru silver - gold - blue & finally red, the red foil fronts are quite hard to find. I have only seen pictures of red fronted ones & none of them have passed through my hands, it appears that only a few thousand red foil ones were produced (2000 had been mentioned in the past & given how scarce they appear to be that figure may be correct but I cannot confirm).

They were intended to be numbered through the run but it appears that when the early sales figures came back & the title had to be re-pressed fairly quickly the numbering of the sets stopped. It looks like the first pressings (silver foil on the front) were numbered but I am unsure of the total number that were numbered & assume it would be whatever number were pressed on the first run actually got the number stamped on the inner box. Quite a number of this title have passed through my hands over the years including quite a few of the silver foil sets but only one of them came with the number stamp which I have still got.

The number on the silver foil set I have held onto is T 1075 & the number is on the bottom of the inner box outer edge where the title T2 SPECIAL EDITION is printed.

Can any users here help by looking at any copies you may have & if it comes with the number stamp on the inner box please pop the details on here? Again any numbered will be on the silver fronted ones unless someone has swapped the outer & inner boxes of some copies around at some time.

Thanks in advance & cheers for now,

John

UPDATE: to be clear the set is Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition PSE82997-6WS

Last edited by je280 on 01 Dec 2019, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: US TERMINATOR 2 boxed sets - some help if possible pleas
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2019, 21:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I take that you are talking about this version Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) [LD 48864-4WS]
I don't own it but from what I remember I never saw this reprinted or re-released.

This box Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition (1991) (Uncut) [PSE82997-6WS]
I had in gold, I've seen red, blue and silver. I believe Silver was the first.

As for numbers unfortunately I have no idea on either set.
But from what I remember I never saw the first all silver box set released differently but I guess it could have been with numbers.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2019, 21:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks rein-o & I should have put the ref No. on the post, it is.....

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition PSE82997-6WS

The one that comes in the rather nice black leather styled box cover with the foil T2 on the front that changed colour as time went on.

Will add it to the original post now.

Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2019, 22:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK I still can't help with numbers but I guess its due to the colored fronts of number breakdowns.
I sort of remember reading a topic about the colors before but can't search it now.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2019, 23:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm curious about this now as well. I have the gold one with no number, but if I get a silver one I'll post it here for sure.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2019, 06:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Mine is red so to me that’s the least special color. It looks dumb being red. It’s like a penalty for not ordering on time or something.

Regardless, across the different printings it’s clearly common as can be and less rare than most US releases. IIRC Terminator 2 was released on LD twenty five (25) times across all regions so I’d say half of those T2s are harder to come by than the pleather box is.

Sorry if it sounds weird that I say that. I just feel compelled to preemptively strike speculative hype before it grows. Buy this disc if you love T2 or just want to see one of the best looking LDs there is, but don’t forget that pretty much only Speed is more common. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2019, 07:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I hope any comments made by me on this don't look in any way an attempt to "hype" or boost the LD title in any way.

When buying collections years ago I think every large lot of discs I bought bar perhaps a couple of them came with at least one copy of this T2 set.

Fairly easy to find & at fair prices though the rather optimistically priced copies do pop up on ebay, most sit for ages never selling.

One comment made back in the day was that many buyers of new players bought the T2 box set with the player as it was pushed by retailers at the time. With it being a PIONEER SPECIAL EDITION with a terrific transfer it was a great title to show off the buyers new player - also at US $120 it was a nice little earner for the retailer too!

As for the colour changes to the foil on the front they are all easily findable (silver, gold & blue) though the red one is perhaps a little harder to find, don't think it would push up any so called value unless someone really had to have one or was perhaps a little gullible.

Yes it is a very common LD title & an easy one to find but a lovely looking one with a great transfer, worth having in any collection I think.

Did you buy your red copy when new back in the day zeta?

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2019, 14:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Nah, I’m not that big of a Terminator fan. :) I got mine in someone’s collection years back.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2019, 17:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I remember hearing from an LD dealer back in the very early 2000's saying that he had so many copies of T2 and Speed that he could
wall every room in his house with them and the ceilings too!!!!!

Still wish that some of the old people who worked on LDs would chime in about production numbers.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2019, 17:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, it’s a shame there isn’t more info on that.

My rough estimate is that 250,000 for an American release would be about the biggest hit possible with most of them around 20k for standard releases. Something like...the Criterion of Carnal Knowledge, a $50 disc almost nobody would watch twice, may be like 5k.

All guesses though, nobody should quote me on that.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2019, 05:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You are not far off the mark on the LD numbers zeta though anything above six figures was pretty major but there were quite a few titles that did hit very high numbers but they were a fraction of the then VHS sales figures that often went into millions of copies sold in the US.

The Fantasia thing in the early 90s was a piece of marketing genius with the tag something like "the last chance ever to buy the film on video in its original form" & also a similar line to push the LD release which resulted in quite staggering sales of something like 15,000,000 VHS tapes sold in the US & the LD sales around the 200,000+ mark - a very similar style of marketing was done on the original STAR WARS features on its VHS & LD marketing push which resulted in huge sales with a high price tag on the tapes & the LDs & of course very high profits for Disney & FOX at the time. The STAR WARS Definitive Collection LD set is a saga in itself.

There were quite a number of LD titles issued in the US though that were pressed in very low numbers indeed but they were often issued due to licensing contract reasons & the like with little chance if any of profit as such being returned. Could mention a few titles but is there really any point as that may have some people going down the "a very rare LD title pressed in very low numbers" bullcrap & other such babble & there is more than enough of that nonsense around already. Others titles were pressed in what could be looked on as low numbers simply because that was the number that had a realistic chance of selling & if it did warrant more copies they were simply repressed in whatever number was required. Extra covers were often printed up on the initial run & held until sales figures were returned & in no further copies were required then the remaining covers were simply binned. The same thing was often done with vinyl releases, a fairly common practice.

It is surprising to me that there is so little accurate information on LD numbers pressed & even sales figures, a pity as unless someone who was actually involved in the sales & marketing back then pops up with that information it is pretty well lost now. Even back in the day the LDs were looked on as a very small market, everything was centered around the VHS sales & from the point of view of the side of the business I was working in then even that was basically a sideline as it was future cinema releases that we were most interested in. Also the UK market for LDs was so small compared to the US it was pretty well mostly skimmed over, again figures here are pretty well non existent now.

Sadly I do think quite a lot of such information is now most likely lost.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2019, 07:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have a silver foil and it has no numbers stamped. Can you post a photo?
I know its common but i love this box set solid with a fantastic transfer.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2020, 22:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Please follow link below to see T2 box set number

https://imgur.com/a/zcowufM

Sorry but cannot get the picture on directly.

Thanks

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 05:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Neither of mine have that
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 12:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jakeheke wrote:
Neither of mine have that

Thanks for that jakeheke.

Anyone else got any numbered sets as it would be interesting to see at what number the numbering thing on this set stopped.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 13:34 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
I remember hearing from an LD dealer back in the very early 2000's saying that he had so many copies of T2 and Speed that he could
wall every room in his house with them and the ceilings too!!!!!

Still wish that some of the old people who worked on LDs would chime in about production numbers.

I can verify the Speed part, I have around 15 copies just from the various lots I've picked up. One lot I got had 4 copies of speed, and at least 3 copies of The Rock.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 15:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Speed was a HUGE movie. Huge in the theater, even bigger on rental. The LD was budget priced at $30 (when most LDs were $40-50) so it sold even better.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020, 16:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My T2 is with red foil. The number is T 1583.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 02:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

A numbered set in a red foil fronted outer box?!?

I can only assume that that one has had the inner & outer boxes swapped around at some point.

As above it was mentioned that this T2 Special Edition release was intended to be numbered throughout the run but as it sold on the initial release in much higher numbers than predicted & the many re-pressings were very quickly started the numbering thing stopped.

i have had quite a number pass through my hands over the years, lots of silver & gold ones plus a few blue but only one (silver foil box) came with a number, that is the only silver one I still have.

If you don't mind me asking zeta is the number on the inner box sleeve & in the same style as the one in the picture that I have posted, any chance of popping a picture on here?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2020, 16:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I checked your picture and yeah, mine looks just like that.

IIRC I got this disc I’m guessing 7-9 years ago. It came in a lot with a ton of other common mainstream Hollywood action stuff, a lot of Bond and stuff. The people selling it to me were selling it for someone else. I didn't get the idea that it was a lot owned by late period collectors like us who may buy multiple copies to get a perfect example. To me it seemed more like one of those collections you find frozen in time since the day they got a DVD player. I don’t think any of those discs had ever been on eBay or sent through the postal service. If there is a mismatch between inner/outer box then it probably happened in the 90s at some point. So you may be right that it’s not a correct example but I also have no reason to suspect that other than what you’re saying here.

I suppose I could check the mint marks and see if they are similar to anyone’s earlier pressing...

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next