It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:37

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-D925] Laser Assembly replacement help
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 13:54 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

My D925, which I've had from new, has stopped working after 22 years... :cry:

I went to put on an LD and it won't recognise the disc (just says "no disc" on the display). It's the same for CDs. Loading is fine, tray operation is fine, the laser assembly is moving around as normal, but it won't read the discs.

It was fine when I last used it... which was a while ago (I mainly use my HLD X9 nowadays)... but it's never given any signs it was on its last legs, it has literally just stopped working without warning. :|

Anyway, looks like it's going to need a new laser.

Aside from the assembly, I assume I'll need the test disc (GGV 1069) and a test remote?

Can the assembly be changed without an oscilloscope? Anyone know which is the correct test remote for the D925, please? :think:

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D925] Laser Assembly replacement help
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 19:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If going for the original test remote, I guess that will be the GGF1067 by Pioneer.
The assembly should be calibrated properly by an oscillioscope, without it you are likely screwing up things even further.
You would also need the service manual for the unit. You are also probably needing the PAL test disc for adjustment, can't say if needed.
As far as I can tell there are few to none new laser assemblies to get hold on, so you are much better salvaging an old CLD-D505/515 and then swap the entire laser assembly. Better check the service manual if the parts do correspond with your player.
But first of all, try cleaning the laser to check if that does the trick. It can't hurt anything if the laser is already shot!
Good luck!

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 20:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

laserpaal wrote:
But first of all, try cleaning the laser to check if that does the trick. It can't hurt anything if the laser is already shot!
Good luck!

Correct but careful cleaning, The wires that hold the laser are very thin, no alcohol please.
You may break a working one with poor cleaning.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 21:15 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I've already tried cleaning it, it's done nothing :(

I don't understand why it would just die like that... it's not even as if the poor thing has had much use. I've never used it heavily in all the time I've had it, and it's always worked flawlessly until now.

Someone else has said you can swap a new unit straight in if you're exchanging the entire carriage - does that sound right? :|

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 21:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Nope, you need to align unfortunately.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 21:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

tarma_snk wrote:
My D925, which I've had from new, has stopped working after 22 years... :cry:

I went to put on an LD and it won't recognise the disc (just says "no disc" on the display). It's the same for CDs. Loading is fine, tray operation is fine, the laser assembly is moving around as normal, but it won't read the discs.

It was fine when I last used it... which was a while ago (I mainly use my HLD X9 nowadays)... but it's never given any signs it was on its last legs, it has literally just stopped working without warning. :|

Anyway, looks like it's going to need a new laser.

Aside from the assembly, I assume I'll need the test disc (GGV 1069) and a test remote?

Can the assembly be changed without an oscilloscope? Anyone know which is the correct test remote for the D925, please? :think:

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 22:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

This is what I feared... so I'll need the test disc and remote as well as the parts.

Anyone in the UK known to be competent at repairing LD players? I'm sure there's plenty in the US... :D

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 23:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

With the exception of some of the plastic parts, this is the same LD pickup used in all of the last LD Pioneer players. The plastics clip on and off between these and the DVL players. If you are sure it's the pickup, you can get one from any number of players.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 03:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

One can adjust without the stuff needed but its best to adjust to correct specs with test disc etc.
You can get away without the remote and there is a way to get into test mode on some players without the remote.

That's all I know. Good luck.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 00:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

There is a service manual for the D925 in the manuals section in lddb, it shows you how to get into service mode manually (without the remote).

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 10:28 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

krbahr wrote:
There is a service manual for the D925 in the manuals section in lddb, it shows you how to get into service mode manually (without the remote).

Thanks for that :)

Is there any way of testing / confirming that the laser is definitely the issue with the player using the test mode, or some other means?

Loading is fine, and the transport is moving as it should... the player just does not recognise that a disc is physically in the machine.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 22:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
laserpaal wrote:
Good luck!

Correct but careful cleaning, The wires that hold the laser are very thin, no alcohol please.

Yes, I support you on the correct but careful cleaning method. If alcohol should and becomes necessary, don't soak it with alcohol and let it dry completely!
It also depends on the user environment the player has been kept in, dusty or smoke filled. I would suggest that tarman-snk is the first and only owner based on the information on the ownership provided, so that probably means there is a complete history about the usage conditions. I don't know what's the estimated life time of a laser unit, but being over two decades old, it has surely done its job quite well.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2019, 06:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tarma_snk wrote:
krbahr wrote:

Is there any way of testing / confirming that the laser is definitely the issue with the player using the test mode, or some other means?

Loading is fine, and the transport is moving as it should... the player just does not recognise that a disc is physically in the machine.

If you have an oscilloscope with save or capture capability you can connect it to the RF signal and see if it triggers and measure the signal amplitude.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2019, 16:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

laserpaal wrote:

rein-o wrote:
laserpaal wrote:
Good luck!

Yes, I support you on the correct but careful cleaning method. If alcohol should and becomes necessary, don't soak it with alcohol and let it dry completely!
It also depends on the user environment the player has been kept in, dusty or smoke filled. I would suggest that tarman-snk is the first and only owner based on the information on the ownership provided, so that probably means there is a complete history about the usage conditions. I don't know what's the estimated life time of a laser unit, but being over two decades old, it has surely done its job quite well.

All I know is that there is a laser that has a special coating and alcohol will take it off.
I can never remember which player or if there are multiple players, it could be the S9 or X- series but I'm not sure.

Someone here on the forum did use alcohol and destroyed that player, so I always err on that side to not destroy anymore
lasers as you can't get new parts.....

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2019, 17:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

krbahr wrote:
tarma_snk wrote:
krbahr wrote:

If you have an oscilloscope with save or capture capability you can connect it to the RF signal and see if it triggers and measure the signal amplitude.

I don't unfortunately - it's not something I would really need to own, ordinarily.

Is there one you can recommend? Bearing in mind I'd only need it for this and nothing else!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 13:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tarma_snk wrote:
This is what I feared... so I'll need the test disc and remote as well as the parts.

Anyone in the UK known to be competent at repairing LD players? I'm sure there's plenty in the US... :D

Hi, sent you a PM the other day which may be of help, although not sure you received it?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 15:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
tarma_snk wrote:

Hi, sent you a PM the other day which may be of help, although not sure you received it?

Yes, thank you - I tried to send a reply but you've got pm's turned off, so I couldn't. :(

I may try him... but I think I'd want other testimonials to his work before I speak to him, which may prove difficult. Still, I do appreciate your help nonetheless.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 18:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tarma_snk wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:
tarma_snk wrote:

Yes, thank you - I tried to send a reply but you've got pm's turned off, so I couldn't. :(

I may try him... but I think I'd want other testimonials to his work before I speak to him, which may prove difficult. Still, I do appreciate your help nonetheless.

Ah ok, I thought it was enabled :crazy: think it's correctly set now!

He's got three players on eBay currently, a HLD-X9, LD-S9 & a DVL-919, he overhauls every player before selling I honestly can't fault my two purchases over the last seven years but I can appreciate your hesitance too. TBH, if any of my current players developed problems I wouldn't hesitate to contact him but obviously it's your decision, whatever I wish you the best of luck getting it sorted :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2019, 15:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

laserfanhld-gb wrote:

Ah ok, I thought it was enabled :crazy: think it's correctly set now!

He's got three players on eBay currently, a HLD-X9, LD-S9 & a DVL-919, he overhauls every player before selling I honestly can't fault my two purchases over the last seven years but I can appreciate your hesitance too. TBH, if any of my current players developed problems I wouldn't hesitate to contact him but obviously it's your decision, whatever I wish you the best of luck getting it sorted :thumbup:

No worries :)

Makes you think... if he's proficient in fixing these units then why not advertised your services?

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2019, 16:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Maybe doesn't want to deal with headaches from the collectors??????

Easier for me to repair the stuff I sell and then move it out of the house rather than take in OPS
and then deal with the insurance and lawsuits involved with getting a scratch on something that
may not have been there when I received it or gave it back after repair.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next