It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:11

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sonopress vs PDO identification, again...
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 20:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

No need to take off label from disc, as hereby example of mint mark on PDO disc - I have a number of PDO discs without label from factory ;)

they are : X Y YYYYY YYYY X

X = letter
Y = number

Whereby the 1st Y is the side identifier

Sonopress :
> LaserVision : use smaller label, and you can see a hand written mint mark
> LaserDisc : music discs use a very very light yellow plastic (not that yellow as PDO), non music uses a fully transparant plastic whereby for both also a smaller label and a engraved mint mark
There are exceptions though ... whereby the label is as big as the PDO label, than it becomes more difficult to see.
Like mentioned above, during LaserVision times the edges can tell a story (more rounded for PDO, more sharp for Sonopress)

Attachments:
PDO.JPG
PDO.JPG [ 11.3 KiB | Viewed 1579 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 09:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thank you, edwin240710. That was very interesting ! I always knew that these PDO discs had mint marks but that they were hidden under the labels.

Now as I already said before I also have a couple of Asian discs, some Indonesian karaoke discs, for instance, that look very much like PDO UK discs.
However one of my discs says Made in Taiwan on the sleeve so I am sure that these discs even though they look like PDO discs were manufactured in
Taiwan by some obscure pressing plant. It wouldn't make any sense for an Asian publisher to be ordering discs in the UK and have them shipped
all the way to SE Asia. That's why many Asian discs, even several of my Indonesian karaoke discs, were manufactured by Kuraray, for instance.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 13:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hello Confederate,

confederate wrote:
look very much like PDO UK discs.
However one of my discs says Made in Taiwan on the sleeve so I am sure that these discs even though they look like PDO discs were manufactured in
Taiwan by some obscure pressing plant.

That must be PRINCO pressing plant - I will check further in my own collection as I got a couple of PRINCO pressed discs myself.

Br, Edwin

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 13:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

edwin240170 wrote:
Hello Confederate,

confederate wrote:
look very much like PDO UK discs.
Taiwan by some obscure pressing plant.

That must be PRINCO pressing plant - I will check further in my own collection as I got a couple of PRINCO pressed discs myself.

Br, Edwin

Those PRINCO discs that I have seen look different and have clearly legible mint marks on them, starting with KB...

Thank you for your interesting input. Really appreciated.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 14:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

edwin240170 wrote:
No need to take off label from disc, as hereby example of mint mark on PDO disc - I have a number of PDO discs without label from factory ;)

they are : X Y YYYYY YYYY X

X = letter
Y = number

Whereby the 1st Y is the side identifier

Sonopress :
> LaserVision : use smaller label, and you can see a hand written mint mark
> LaserDisc : music discs use a very very light yellow plastic (not that yellow as PDO), non music uses a fully transparant plastic whereby for both also a smaller label and a engraved mint mark
There are exceptions though ... whereby the label is as big as the PDO label, than it becomes more difficult to see.
Like mentioned above, during LaserVision times the edges can tell a story (more rounded for PDO, more sharp for Sonopress)

Thanks a lot, very useful! I'd still be interested in seeing a photo of a Sonopress disc's centre (especially an older one).

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 15:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks to all for the really interesting & helpful input on this so far :thumbup: .

Dug out the PDO Great Railways LD & made a start removing the disc label, really good adhesive used on them & not the easiest to get off - tried a bit of iso hoping it would help but still rather stubborn to say the least.

So far have found a barcode sticker below the label, printed on very thin paper, with *4BX227* on it.

Will get the rest of the label off later & update any other markings.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers for now.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 16:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi again,

I have finally got round to removing the labels on the GREAT RAILWAYS disc that I had made a start on - an early dated 1981 on the cover, 1982 on the disc PDO pressed issue.

The previously mentioned small sticker below the disc label was made of very thin foil & there was another on the other side but it had nothing at all printed on it.

Other than the number 3 on one side & the number 4 on the other (they were the side play numbers) written with an ink marker there are no other marks or numbers at all, no stamped or engraved "mint marks".

Also there are none of the usual PDO dashes on the inner or outer sides of the disc but the solid outer ring is there though, still to remove the labels on the other disc that make up this title but I am assuming that it will just be the same as the one just done.

Don't know why I did not notice the lack of dashes before now but it was when I was removing the (large) label I noted the lack of dashes then.

So a PDO pressed LD with no dashes, this is getting rather confusing now.

I do remember talk many years ago of the very high fail rate of the early PDO LDs & apparently there were a few changes to the way things were done at PDO Blackburn soon after production started so were the dashes added for whatever reason after the first runs of LDs from them perhaps?

I do believe that this & a few other BBC discs were among the first commercial LDs released, any others out there without the dashes?

I passed on the other very early PDO LDs that I had years ago so don't have anything now to compare this one to.

I will try to post some pictures soon.

Cheers

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2020, 21:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You are right PDO has discs without these dashes, but these are discs before ~april 1982, some of the examples are the very early BBCV discs, however the these are limited (also some of the DiscoVision copy very early UK PAL releases are like this)
Also up until ~1984 the discs had the small sticker with barcode under the label, after that they disappeared.

Below the markings for Sonopress (Laservision and Laserdisc) using smaller labels than PDO, but as I highlighted above I also have discs pressed by Sonopress with a larger label, so you dont see the mint markings - one other speciality of Sonopress, I have several single-sided discs, where the blank side is colored blue.

Attachments:
sp.jpg
sp.jpg [ 21.87 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2020, 23:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Very good. Definitely doesn't look like there's any substantial identifiable differences then! I suppose we'll just have to stick with using the labels/sleeves etc. as a guide to where it's made, unless anyone develops a way to see through the labels of course!

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 02:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

edwin240170 wrote:
You are right PDO has discs without these dashes, but these are discs before ~april 1982, some of the examples are the very early BBCV discs, however the these are limited (also some of the DiscoVision copy very early UK PAL releases are like this)
Also up until ~1984 the discs had the small sticker with barcode under the label, after that they disappeared.

Below the markings for Sonopress (Laservision and Laserdisc) using smaller labels than PDO, but as I highlighted above I also have discs pressed by Sonopress with a larger label, so you dont see the mint markings - one other speciality of Sonopress, I have several single-sided discs, where the blank side is colored blue.

That is really helpful info.

A big thanks for all the useful posts on this, clarifies quite a bit.

As mentioned above I was told many years ago that after the very high fail rate & the large number of PDO LDs being returned to retailers that there were quite a number of changes made at the Blackburn plant, almost a total refit but is that correct?

Again thanks to all for the posts here.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2