It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-53] Trouble spinning up LD
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 02:29 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi folks, new to the forum.

I wanted to get my LD player ready for testing discs as I'm likely going to offer up my collection. Thought it would be good to check for laser rot here and there, etc. Then eventually I figured I would part with my modified CLD-53 (I added AC3 output!) and demodulator.

Anyhow, the problem, predictably is that it won't spin up a LD. It turns CD's just fine. As it tries to load the LD, the drawer closes fine, the loader raises up the laser head moves fine and the GROAN and the door opens. I've been reading other posts and I guess it is one of three things.
  • Bad rubber slip ring
  • Bad spindle motor
  • Bad power supply to motor

The load mechanism seems to work fine. It comes up without complaint. The LD floats and is easy to spin by hand. I cleaned the rubber ring thoroughly per many instructions. I tried to even give the spindle a push start and it didn't help.

I've read about the plasti-dip / liquid tape method of re-building the slip ring. Before I bother with that I thought I'd check out more about he spindle motor or power supply. Does anyone know the output voltage or current draw for a working motor? I can measure these easy enough to gauge if the power supply is keeping up. A motor seems like a more expensive and hassle to replace but I'd give it a go if I could get a parted out motor. If it is most likely the ring and people still stand by the plasti-dip method, I'll go grab some and fix up the ring.

Thoughts or additional info needed? I really appreciate the collective knowledge of the board!

Cheers

Post subject: Re: [CLD-53] Trouble spinning up LD
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 02:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just a stretched loading belt. Replace it.

Once you mentioned that the tray kept popping out was the giveaway as the belt does not have enough torque to push the spindle snuggly up to the clamper and thus it thinks there is some obstruction.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 15:25 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
Just a stretched loading belt. Replace it.

Once you mentioned that the tray kept popping out was the giveaway as the belt does not have enough torque to push the spindle snuggly up to the clamper and thus it thinks there is some obstruction.

Thank you! This gives me a few follow up questions.
1. What loader belt can I use and where do I source it. (I'm going to go spend some google time, but I figured I'd ask here for completeness.)
2. The really dumb question is this: Is the loader belt the SAME thing that is opening and closing the tray? I know where that is and it is easy enough to get at.
3. If the answer is the loader belt is somewhere else, where would I be looking?

Thank you again!!!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 17:38 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Well, I answered my own questions as part of the repair adventure!

I pulled the front off, the audio board partially and then removed the entire transport mechanism for inspection. Now that I see it from all the angles I understand the one motor with belt moves the tray and lifts the transport mechanism. I found the VEB1184 available on eBay and since it listed support for the CLD-503, I am pretty sure that it will fit mine as well.

Now I just wait for arrival of the replacement part and hope that is all it takes! My grip ring could be toasted as well but I won't know until the loader assembly is back into proper working order.

Thanks for the feedback and any other comments are always welcome!

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 01:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That is the correct belt so good for you in respect to finding it.

As for replacing the belt, no need to take so much of the player apart and risk screwing something up. It's as simple as this to replace the belt on this particular chassis......

Remove the clamper assembly

You should clean the parts of the plastic pulleys that touched the old belt with alcohol to remove any residual particles.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 02:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
As for replacing the belt, no need to take so much of the player apart and risk screwing something up.

Definitely this.

When I have a player with a bad belt, I will clean the belt with water and use alcohol to clean the parts where the belt wraps around. Sometimes this functions as a hotfix until the new belt arrives. I should probably see if I can get the generic equivalent in bulk to save a lot of time and money.

Very nice photos ldfan. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 02:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I would also clean the small pulley as that also helps a little.

Check the belt when you get it as there are some people selling belts calling them the VEB1184. If it is not correct, go to a good electric distributor selling PRB belts and order a SCQ3.6, it is a little smaller but is the closest size, length and thickness, available from a belt manufacturer.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 15:31 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I really appreciate all of the help and feedback folks!

I disassembled the unit for a few reasons. When watching some repair videos of older Pioneer repairs I saw that there was a distinct motor and drive underneath the tray which functioned to raise the assembly. As I was poking around I would see "tray belt" and "loader belt" so eventually I got confused if there was more than one system.

Another reason is that there a still 2 little squeaks during the tray closing and loading process. One happens just before the tray fully closes. I think I can see where it happens but I've carefully regreased those sections and it still happens. The other squeak is at the end of the rising of the pickup assembly. I had hoped by pulling out the mechanism I would find any dry spots and get them lubed.

Now that it is out it will make the cleaning, de-greasing, etc of the pulleys and clean installation of the new belt dead easy.

Lastly, I had the time, was bored and wanted to see how it all worked so that I would be knowledgeable about my repair!

Really appreciate the forum and advice! Waiting on the belt to come from Singapore so I will post updates after the next stage.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2020, 22:24 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi all,

I wanted to post to this thread to tidy up the discussion for future searchers seeking to repair. It took me a while because the replaced belt VEB1184 came from an eBay seller in Singapore. Seen in the picture below the replacement is the upper one. Definitely smaller in diameter.

I removed the old belt, cleaned the pulleys with alcohol and affixed new one making sure not to get lithium grease or finger oils on it. Re-assembled everything back to the original positions. As noted by Idfan, you do NOT have to remove the carriage assembly. Only do this if you are confident in your skills, note where all of the screws come from and are very careful with the wires. The only reason I can see to remove the carriage assembly is to do a slightly better job at greasing up the tracks and gears. Belt is very easy to replace at that point but not worth the construction effort.

With the new belt in place it worked instantly to fully load and play LD and CD!

Good news I have an extra VEB1184 compatible replacement belt for anyone with a unit in this class that uses a single belt loader design. This would be many of the later model CLD Elite and non-Elite models. PM me if interested.

Cheers and thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]