It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:48

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: When not using laserdisc player is it best to unplug it?
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 20:50 
True fan
True fan

I wanted to know if my laserdisc player is off is there any point of disconnecting the ac plug when not in use or is that totally pointless to do? Also, I've read horror stories about people's laserdisc players dying when electricity went out on here. The laserdisc player can be damaged if electricity goes out? For some odd reason in my town or my house occasionally the electricity will go out. Makes me paranoid that I could lose my laserdisc player. I mean it doesn't happen all the time but sometimes it does. Lately I've noticed it going out a bit more maybe about 2 or 3 times the past month or so. Luckily I wasn't using my laserdisc player at the time of the power outage.

Post subject: Re: When not using laserdisc player is it best to unplug it?
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 21:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Unless you have a UPS or a really good surge suppressor then unplugging old stuff is the safest thing to do. Aside from power fluctuations though leaving it plugged in forever is usually fine.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 21:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I unplug most things I'm not currently using. I have so much stuff a lot of it is packed away.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 01:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If your power supply ever fails due to something like this, it doesn't necessarily mean your player is dead and gone. It could be as simple as replacing a fuse. Either way it is probably more repairable than a dead optical pickup.

I leave my players unplugged when I'm not using them.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 07:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

A good idea for most consumer players that have a "soft" power switch that leaves the power supply running all the time. Industrial players, like my V8000 or V4400, with a big old hard power button are truly off when switched off with nothing left on standby. Probably some consumer models have a real switch as well, you can tell by the feel if it's a momentary type vs the solid click needed to cutoff high voltage AC power.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2020, 18:20 
True fan
True fan

I recapped my 925 not too long ago. The power switch on the power supply board, when off, has no power running to the rest of the machine. It's a hard off switch from what I can remember. In that case switching off from the mains wont make a difference. I dont think its the same for my 95 for example. Im pretty sure that has a soft switch. I suppose it depends on your player. Either way switching off from the mains when not in use cant hurt and probably good practice anyway.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020, 15:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

older players, such as my 1988 PIONEER CLD-3030, have a mechanical POWER switch that physically cuts power flow from the wall when off...

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020, 18:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have a faulty soft switch on my amp and use one of these plug with a switch on it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-15-Amp-2-Wire-Single-to-Single-White-Adapter/3805035

Could also be used for your LD player.
I have a small extension cord going from my power strip to the front so I can switch it on and off easily.

They do also make one with a ground, a little harder to find but they are out there.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020, 21:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I leave all my media plugged in with power strips / surge suppressors.

Used to unplug during wicked thunder storms however I have gotten away from this habit.

Players / all media are holding up just fine thus far.

Keep that current circulating .... (or unplug if away ..... )

Just dust your stuff from time to time that is the real Nemesis of electronics --- Dust Particles accumulating over time = ENTROPY

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020, 22:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
older players, such as my 1988 PIONEER CLD-3030, have a mechanical POWER switch that physically cuts power flow from the wall when off...

True...but usually the break is only on one side of the power, the other is still connected, as is the ground (if supplied) and although that usually means nothing...lighting is very powerful and can do some crazy stuff via back-feed. It takes probably 10,000 volts to jump the gap in a big mechanical switch but in a heavy lightning storm that’s not impossible. Also, other devices that get borked can fry other devices through their interconnects! So your TV can fry your player through the s-video jack if it gets blown up like that. (I’ve also had an LD player fail [not a voltage issue in this case] and kill the composite input on the TV, both are fine now, don’t worry.)

Unplugging is safest but I only do it when I’m leaving town for a few days or if there is lightning nearby. My power situation is actually pretty reliable so I don’t worry about it.

True story: I knew two people who both lost the composite video output of their Nintendo Gamecubes on the same stormy evening even though they lived 30 miles apart. One of them was using the component video cable most of the time so it didn’t matter so he didn’t care. The other sold me his Cube for $50 which I then had Nintendo reman for free (I also have the component video cable but thought I may as well get it fixed). That Cube still functions perfectly of course, as does the one my other friend had. It’s launch JP GC and still the only thing wrong with it is that composite out. Those were exceptionally well made machines, IMHO. The game selection is pretty sad compared to Sony but they did nothing wrong with the hardware as far as I’m concerned.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2020, 07:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

One of my players i just leave with the 'standby' light on when not in use unless there is lightening happening.
Is this a bad thing?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2020, 15:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jakeheke wrote:
One of my players i just leave with the 'standby' light on when not in use unless there is lightening happening.
Is this a bad thing?

No, this is how the stuff was made, if you aren't using it a lot I would say to do the plug or switch but I actually haven't used my 3070
in some time and its been plugged in for the entire time I've put it on the rack.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020, 23:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Mine is in a cabinet. I have the LD player hooked up to a UPS and my AC-3 demodulator hooked up to a smart plug. All of it is controlled by a Logitech Harmony hub so the player is on standby until activated. The demodulator I control from the hub too, but I switch the smart plug on manually when I want to watch an AC-3 disc. Ending the activity will switch it off as it switches the TV and everything in the cabinet off.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]