It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best way to display CC subs, teletext etc?
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 16:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hi all. Per thread title. What's the best way to do this? My TV doesn't seem to display subtitles using the TV remote. It doesn't display Teletext pages on the Teletext LD's I have either.

I was thinking of getting an LG-1 but wonder if there are alternatives? I'm in Ireland so don't really want to get something from the USA that will cost the estimated GDP of Zimbabwe to ship to me. :lol:

Thanks all!

Post subject: Re: Best way to display CC subs, teletext etc?
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 16:37 
True fan
True fan

teddanson wrote:
Hi all. Per thread title. What's the best way to do this? My TV doesn't seem to display subtitles using the TV remote. It doesn't display Teletext pages on the Teletext LD's I have either.

I was thinking of getting an LG-1 but wonder if there are alternatives? I'm in Ireland so don't really want to get something from the USA that will cost the estimated GDP of Zimbabwe to ship to me. :lol:

Thanks all!

I've heard some people talking about a Genlock, but in all honesty, it'd probably be cheaper to look for a new TV or player where the subtitles would work.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 16:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I looked at the Genlock idea but it's a bit convoluted for my liking. A new TV is out of the question, I only just bought a new 4K TV haha! :)

Maybe an LG-1 is the way to go?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 16:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Teletext, I don't know what support is like with brand new TVs but I'm somewhat surprised because they've had that feature since forever. Try looking in odd places - if the "text" button doesn't work try looking in the subtitles menu. Make sure you are actively playing a LaserDisc with Teletext subtitles (eg the PAL UK CAV boxset of Jurassic Park) - very few discs have them, and your TV might hide the option if it doesn't detect a teletext signal. As for external Teletext decoders, well, they were a thing in the 70s and 80s but I don't think they've been a thing since then. Looking on eBay I don't see anyone selling any, unless I'm just using the wrong keywords.

North American Closed Captions there are a bunch of different decoders you can buy; few TVs in Europe will support these so this is probably the best way. You'll probably need to get them shipped from the States but I didn't find it to be ridiculously unaffordable as they are quite small devices. See this thread for my experiences buying and using one: Closed Captions decoder (and feel free to ask me any more questions!)

LD-G subtitles I don't know about. I've been tempted to buy an LG-1 but when I've searched in the past I've tended to find them rather pricey. And once I bought the CC decoder I discovered most of my Japanese LDs (which realistically are also the only ones with LD-G subtitles) also come with North American Closed Captions.

The vast majority of PAL discs don't have *any* subtitles. North American discs only have Closed Captions. So the Closed Captions decoder combined with imported American LDs is by far the most fruitful way to get subtitles on LaserDiscs in Europe.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 21:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

teddanson wrote:
Yeah I looked at the Genlock idea but it's a bit convoluted for my liking. A new TV is out of the question, I only just bought a new 4K TV haha! :)

LG-1 does LD-G only, doesn’t decode CC or Teletext. It was not officially imported to USA. It was a Japan only item. I have one for sale that I imported from Japan a few years ago if you are interested.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 22:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If you want subtitles from LDs the best thing to have is probably an American market TV from 1999 and a large pile of US discs. Closed Captioning was the law, and after a certain year in the 90s all consumer sets had CC decoders. Most stuff has it. HDTV broke all this crap up and I don’t really know how it’s even done now.

LD+G has been the topic of much conversation here and I’m not sure we’ve yet understood what it was even developed for. It does seem truly useless:

Japan market only
Nearly all titles are in English and have LD+G subs of the movie, almost indistinguishable from CC.
Some titles had CC and LD+G
Most titles have baked in Japanese subtitles.

For Japanese to study English
For English speakers in Japan who were also hard of hearing.
Grey market exports to other Asian countries that know a great deal of English but still not enough to where subs don’t help a lot.

If it was made for anyone else or any other purpose I’d love to know. Does anyone have any magazine scans that have ads for LD+G stuff? It seems like such a weird niche thing to develop so late in the life of LD.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020, 23:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

There are two titles with Japanese audio and English LD-G. All other titles have English audio and English LD-G.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 00:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks for the information all. I mainly wanted to display the subs on my GITS Premium Box and also the Teletext on my BBC LD's.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 12:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

teddanson wrote:
Thanks for the information all. I mainly wanted to display the subs on my GITS Premium Box and also the Teletext on my BBC LD's.

GITS has both LD-G and Closed Captions. You'll find the latter much easier/cheaper to decode (see my post above about buying an external decoder).

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 12:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:
teddanson wrote:

LG-1 does LD-G only, doesn’t decode CC or Teletext. It was not officially imported to USA. It was a Japan only item. I have one for sale that I imported from Japan a few years ago if you are interested.

Roughly how much would you expect this to go for (ie what ballpark are we talking)? I'm in the UK and honestly I'm interested but only as a historical curiosity so this makes me quite price-sensitive. With the usual problems with eBay (things listed forever at ridiculous prices that are never going to sell...) I've really no idea how much to expect to have to pay for one.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 14:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Teletext is pretty much dead in the UK, but it's still in use in many other European countries so I kinda doubt the models on the UK market would have that feature nerfed. What you do need to know is that anything that messes with the video (signal processors, etc) might mess with the teletext signal as well so as long as you've got your player hooked straight to the TV with SCART or composite, it should be accessible as long as the TV supports it.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 16:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ah! That might be where I am failing. I have my LD Player connected to a Framemeister which upscales the image to 1080P50 and then spits out HDMI to my soundbar. Maybe the Framemeister is stripping out the subtitles/teletext information?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 16:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

teddanson wrote:
Ah! That might be where I am failing. I have my LD Player connected to a Framemeister which upscales the image to 1080P50 and then spits out HDMI to my soundbar. Maybe the Framemeister is stripping out the subtitles/teletext information?

Almost certainly is! Experiment with a direct connection, at least if your TV has any analogue inputs. Maybe your Framemeister itself can decode the subtitles? It probably won't be passing them to the TV in any way, especially since it seems to be designed for gaming.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2020, 03:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

teddanson wrote:

Oh yeah, that would be it. Old fashioned analog CCs cannot exist in any 1080p signal, only NTSC. If you had a separate decoder then you could go from that to the XRGB though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2020, 07:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah, the teletext and CC signals are buried in the vertical blanking intervals which I guess get dropped altogether by HDMI upscalers and such. You might be able to get them using more old fashioned video processors that still output standard NTSC or PAL signal.

Pretty sure there are no separate teletext decoders. I remember reading that even when it was a new thing, it had to be installed inside existing TVs until they just came with new models as a standard.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]