It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:27

Page 4 of 4 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Which cable do you use to hook your LD player to your TV
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2020, 20:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well I thought I knew, "always use composite" because LD video is composite. But then some here started saying Svideo was better and I got confused so wanted to confirm.

I just want the maximum picture information passed from the player and that's not necessarily easily perceptable in a comparison, on some discs you might think Svideo looks better but you actually might not be getting as much information as with composite.

Using the DVDO is non negotiable for me, there are so many widescreen titles I have that need overscan/underscan to set up the picture right. Then again I might consider straight composite to the TV for 4:3 content.

When I say the TV has the best comb filter, I don't really know if thats the right term, it has something called super hi fine pitch mode and provides a superlative picture. I'm not sure the source has to be through composite to take advantage of this. Can't pictures pass through 2 or more comb filters? Can't it be like audio were you can run through multiple DACs to "clean up" the sound?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 01:33 
audioboyz1973 wrote:
Well if you want to use that fancy comb filter in the CRT then it has to be composite straight to the TV. Composite to DVDO you're using the comb filter in the DVDO, s-video to DVDO you're using the comb filter in the player.

Frankly I'm kind of disappointed (but not surprised) a thread like this still even exists where people haven't done some basic research and worked it out for themselves......

Is the bolded part accurate though? When I process SVHS the DNR/ghosting disappears, so I assumed the processor was killing the filtration (by taking the data raw or something). Sorry if this is an instance where you're 100% certain because you use a DVDO.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 08:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Where do you lot reccomend buying fat shielded composite cable from for a reasonable price?

Im currently using shorter version of these.
http://www.cable-warehouse.co.nz/Kumo%2 ... ble%201.5m
Opinions on these specs?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 11:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Motho on ebay (Selby in Melbourne)

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 19:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My opinion of AV cables is that beyond a certain quality threshold there is nowhere to go...and that threshold is basically “the one they threw in with the LD player”. You don’t need super shielding on cables like this unless you have the lead running between your cable modem, your Tesla coil, your Jacobs ladder, and you have a 1950s vacuum cleaner running somewhere on the came circuit.

Situations where I was actually glad to have an expensive cable are limited to ones where durability of the cable itself is the issue. Guitar and microphone cables...they always eventually get killed so if you buy tough ones you don’t have to as often go through that ritual of finding which cable is bad.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 08:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I certainly do hear what your saying Zeta.
I definitely noticed a difference going from old PS1 cables to the cables i postes above i will admit.
Im sure it gets to a point where you are picking the ash from the fly s**t Jacobs ladder or not im sure we all agree with cable quality
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 13:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

snipesbackhand wrote:
audioboyz1973 wrote:
Well if you want to use that fancy comb filter in the CRT then it has to be composite straight to the TV. Composite to DVDO you're using the comb filter in the DVDO, s-video to DVDO you're using the comb filter in the player.

Frankly I'm kind of disappointed (but not surprised) a thread like this still even exists where people haven't done some basic research and worked it out for themselves......

Is the bolded part accurate though? When I process SVHS the DNR/ghosting disappears, so I assumed the processor was killing the filtration (by taking the data raw or something). Sorry if this is an instance where you're 100% certain because you use a DVDO.

The entire reason for the existence of the comb filter is to separate the composite video back into separate Y/C signals. So if you connect the player to anything using s-video (separate Y/C) you've used the comb filter in the player to do that and the comb filter in whatever you've plugged it into is bypassed. There needs to be a comb filter somewhere in the chain though. Which comb filter is better (or perhaps does your player suffer a poorly recombined composite out) is a whole different discussion.

Comb filters and how your connections determine where it falls in the chain should be LD101 for anyone who considers themselves a collector/enthusiast. (Unless you collect LD's to just hang on the wall!)

Last edited by audioboyz1973 on 25 Feb 2020, 13:59, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Looking for Hi-Vision Discs (MUSE or HDVS).......

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 13:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Well I thought I knew, "always use composite" because LD video is composite. But then some here started saying Svideo was better and I got confused so wanted to confirm.

I just want the maximum picture information passed from the player and that's not necessarily easily perceptable in a comparison, on some discs you might think Svideo looks better but you actually might not be getting as much information as with composite.

Using the DVDO is non negotiable for me, there are so many widescreen titles I have that need overscan/underscan to set up the picture right. Then again I might consider straight composite to the TV for 4:3 content.

When I say the TV has the best comb filter, I don't really know if thats the right term, it has something called super hi fine pitch mode and provides a superlative picture. I'm not sure the source has to be through composite to take advantage of this. Can't pictures pass through 2 or more comb filters? Can't it be like audio were you can run through multiple DACs to "clean up" the sound?

I get your need for zooming etc with the DVDO; I certainly couldn't live without a video processor. Some Sony models do have a reputation for excellent comb filters, you could try searching on the model number here and more broadly to see if it might be one of them? LD players have multiple outputs so you could probably fairly easily hook it up all three ways and do some comparisons with several favourite discs you're familiar with. Also a good idea to adjust all three paths properly using something like video essentials so you're comparing "apples with apples" not different settings for colour etc coming into play.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 18:14 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

sometimes I use a COAX one if I don't have a composite video around. it seems fine but I don't have a high-end display or setup.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 18:22 
True fan
True fan

My Sony 40x3500 lcd has a built in digital 3d comb filter. I find that composite in from my x9 gives too smeary a picture. I remember reading that 3d comb filters can cause this and that a motion adaptive comb filter is better because it can switch between 2d and 3d modes during static images and motion. S video in from the x9 looks a lot better. You can adjust the comb filter to either 3d, 2d or in the middle. Composite into my crystallio 2 gives a similar image in terms of motion because of the advanced comb filter. Bottom line is after a lot of testing, I found the comb filter in the tv is just not suited to laserdisc.

All you can do is try different cables and configurations until you find what looks best. That's part of the fun of the hobby for me!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 08:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sounds like a plan Audioboyz, hope to get around to that one of these days..I have the Sony Tune Up AV LD so should use it..

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 02:46 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I use S/PDIF digital coax cables for video since they have better shielding than most of the regular composite RCA cables I have lying around. I tried S-video once but it didn't work properly, the video had a chequered look to it. My DVL 909 does have SCART output since its the European model but I've never used it before as there isn't much point, probably get more noise than with the RCA output.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 06:52 
kid_dynamo wrote:
I use S/PDIF digital coax cables for video since they have better shielding than most of the regular composite RCA cables I have lying around. I tried S-video once but it didn't work properly, the video had a chequered look to it. My DVL 909 does have SCART output since its the European model but I've never used it before as there isn't much point, probably get more noise than with the RCA output.

That's a bad s-video cable. Buy anything proper brand name and that won't occur.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 16:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks, I might try it again in the future with a better cable.

Page 4 of 4 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4