Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Valuable list
https://screencrush.com/most-valuable-laserdiscs/

Post subject: Re: Valuable list screencrush.com
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 17:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

For some reason I didn’t stop reading when he said LD were extremely sensitive to dust (total lie) but after seeing the first two or three LDs on his list and getting hit with a new pop up ad every time I scrolled far enough to see the next one I quit reading.

This article, IMO, is not valuable.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 18:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

To be fair to the guy he may not have an accurate take on the LD format but it is interesting to see what some people have actually paid for some LDs - $463.81 for a copy of END OF DAYS - that is really OTT but as long as the buyer is happy..... bet the seller is really happy!

LET IT BE with all the risks involved in that title going for $295 is also going to have a very happy seller I am sure.

Again all sold within the last few months but is it perhaps one or two buyers throwing big money for some so called "rare" LDs, that has happened before but once they have the titles things can calm down a bit.

Anything is only worth what someone is happy to pay at any given time & it might not last too long, some vinyl titles went a bit wild for a while but selling prices appear to have calmed down a bit now though.

Hope it doesn't hype prices to much, interesting to see if some of the titles end up on ebay with inflated starting or buy-it-now prices & how long they take to sell if they actually do.

Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 19:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'll never understand the mindset of those "late release blockbuster pabulum" collectors. Dull content that happened to come out late, yawn. A strange phenomena.

That page is cancer too, all the ads and flashy stuff did a number on my low spec desktop and the reader view didn't show the whole thing so I bailed.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 20:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

harlock wrote:
I'll never understand the mindset of those "late release blockbuster pabulum" collectors. Dull content that happened to come out late, yawn. A strange phenomena.

That page is cancer too, all the ads and flashy stuff did a number on my low spec desktop and the reader view didn't show the whole thing so I bailed.

Yeah it's a bit strange, I'm hoping to find a buyer for Meet Joe Black. Not something I went out of my way to get, it was in a large lot.

I'd rather more people be interested in that crap than true treasures like the original proper versions of classic anime series. :)

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020, 22:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think a large part of late collectardism came from video game people. With game machines you have this phenomenon where most of the time as the system is dying a few games get pushed out that really showcase the system in ways not possible when it came out because by now developers have mastered the machine, Yoshi’s Island, Shenmue 2, Panzer Azel, Sapphire, Kunio stuff, there are loads of them for the older machines. These games become valuable not only because of how good they are but also because by the time they were released the OEM was busy making some new box to take your money with and reduce all the developers to level zero again. I hate this cycle, btw. Anyway, people still buying games for that system regularly at that point will have a copy and that will be it so when the scene expands for a decade or two you have a million noobs all trying to get the same copy of Mother 3 (for example, an excellent $50 game that sat in clearance bins for months for $15 soon after release but is now apparently worth $80 despite rampant bootlegging.)

Of course with movies/LDs this doesn’t work. Later movies in LDs life aren’t any better than movies from any other time. There was technical progress with LD but you can’t make just any old movie worth owning simply because it’s in DTS. In fact the DTS library is pretty sad.

The best period of LD to be collecting was the boom, like 1988-1993 or so when most titles were being released. When almost every week there was a release that was “never before on home video” and a lot of stuff too awesome (expensive) to make sense.

Video game people I think however just look at the release dates...they want stuff to be valuable, which wasn’t a thing whatever back in the day. Nobody’s collection had any value, really. Only very specific discs were something you could slap a huge price on and take to a convention. LD fans had their hands full and wallets emptied just paying retail for this stuff! We weren’t conspiring to make our own hobby more expensive every day. When we did sell or trade a disc away we didn’t try to get our shipping costs back...

Have you ever known someone who likes to hang out with cops? I mean, if there are three people in a room these guys will hang out with whoever the cop is. It seems like they want to have the stories and they want to be able to claim to be able to get out of a ticket because they know a guy (even though maybe they can’t because the poor cop is just being polite and in fact doesn’t like this guy at all). These people are trying to impress other people. They take validation form elsewhere and attempt to convince other people with it, it’s never in them or from them. These are the guys who buy a performance car but never really drive it because it’s easier to impress the easily impressed by talking about it in their garage. Name droppers. “I was at a party with Kid Rock the other day and...” Well anyway, those are the sorts of guys who would collect an LD only because of its release date. I can’t imagine any normal movie fan caring at all about DTS library completeness unless they used to work for them or something. When LD was in production it had one audience; people who were hardcore into movies or music or anime or whatever. Fans of the thing. Now we have completists, professional eBayers, and fans who seem to think they own a store. The last one is an odd phenomenon, having worked at both Electronics Boutique and Video Watch I can assure you that those places suck major D if you have to spend more than 20 minutes there and most of what stores have is mainstream junk for the idiots who keep the place in business.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 12:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

the very firsts words :
Quote:
After the invention of VHS
well yes but actually no, not even talking about the rest of the errors he made.
yeah...basically he did what I do for laughs when I get really bored and just got on ebay to laugh at prices of stuff, except that he made an "article" about it, some true journalism right here XD.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 15:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ryosaeba84 wrote:
the very firsts words :
Quote:
After the invention of VHS
well yes but actually no, not even talking about the rest of the errors he made.
yeah...basically he did what I do for laughs when I get really bored and just got on ebay to laugh at prices of stuff, except that he made an "article" about it, some true journalism right here XD.

This passes for journalism these days sadly. I remember when a bunch of articles popped up about "rare" BLACK DIAMOND Disney VHS. So stupid.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]