It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:05

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D501] New to me, couples issues
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 19:03 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So this past week I lucked into this player on Facebook marketplace. I have been on the hunt for one for a while and haven't been able to land one because they usually are just overpriced or in bad shape. This particular one was listed with no remote so I'll have to find that eventually and of course no idea if it worked and he didn't have cables to test it. All he knew is it powered on and the tray opened. Anyway a little back and forth and I got the player and stack of movies for 30 bucks. I figured with about 20 movies alone the price was fair in case the player was trash. Overall it looks in good shape with no breaks, huge scratches, etc

So I took it over to my buddy's house to test it since he's more knowledgeable with technology, I'm the movie guy wanting a conversation piece. We got it hooked up, played a movie, it switched to side B like it was suppose to and then this is where I noticed the first issue

1 After the movie it needs to move back to side A it makes a noticeable noise while doing it. At first we didn't know what the noise was from but we did a second a test and pushed the button to go to side B and it accomplished it fine. When we hit the button to go back to side A is when we heard the noise again so we know that is definitely the issue.

2 This one has me confused more than the first. I bring it home and hook it up here. Hes going to come and work on it some more this week sometime we just ran out of time. I wanted to test the movies I had got with it, make sure they all play and test a couple movies I had picked up in the past from thrift stores just to see how they look. All in all I have about 30 movies total. So to keep from letting the machine do any flipping I just put discs in, stopped it, opened the tray, and flipped them manually to test the other side. However while doing that I found 5 discs that act in 1 of 2 ways. You put them in and the player acts like it doesn't recognize a disc is in it. It never displays laserdisc on the tv or puts the LD logo on the player screen. You hit play and nothing happens. Or you put the disc in, it recognizes it, you hit play, it gives a couple of small faint noises like clicks, and opens the tray and there is no error message displayed during this process.

I have 5 discs it does this with. The only similarity is they are all Warner Brothers Titles.
Doc Hollywood
Memphis Belle
Pure Country
and two copies of Other Peoples Money. I had bought one before and it looks mint. Doc Hollywood looks the worst. But it is not the worst I received in condition and I have a few WB titles that play fine. So I'm at a loss...

I'm familiar with laser rot but my understanding is it will still play with poor picture or sound. And it seems a coincidence to be all one company. I had one other disc that tried to do it from a different company but when it ejected i put it back in and hit play and it did fine. I've tried all these discs several times and they haven't even tried to play.

So if anybody has any insight I'd love to hear it. I'm a loss especially with the second issue. I'm hoping my buddy and I can help the first issue. And if we can't is there a way to disable the autoflip feature?

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD D501, new to me, couples issues
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 19:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I would check if there is a CD or something inside before you keep playing.

No tech needed, just take the top off to make sure everything is clear inside.

As for not playing only thing I can think of is that they aren't NTSC, they should still play.

There are 2 other issues sometimes with this model of player, search up m-holder and the slipping mat.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 23:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like there might be some issue with focus.

shinymopar wrote:
And if we can't is there a way to disable the autoflip feature?

Press the A or B button instead of play.

rein-o wrote:
There are 2 other issues sometimes with this model of player, search up m-holder and the slipping mat.

The CLD-D504 was the first of the CLD-D50x series to use the dreaded M-Holder (thankfully). The most common issue I see with the CLD-Dx01/x02 is the clamper which just manifests itself as the inability to eject.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 23:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Always forget which one has the m-holder and which ones don't use the bad ones.
Figured that the OP could search up and find out too.

I know also belts can be issues on these players too, they are old and only getting older.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 23:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

shinymopar wrote:
This particular one was listed with no remote so I'll have to find that eventually

I think the CLD-501 remote is the CU-CLD069. The CLD-D502/3 use CU-CLD084 which will probably be cheaper.

rein-o wrote:
I know also belts can be issues on these players too, they are old and only getting older.

Yeah replacing the belt definitely helps as well as replacing the grease in the sliding mechanism of the clamper. Personally, I think this particular clamper was over-engineered.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 10:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

cplusplus wrote:
Yeah replacing the belt definitely helps as well as replacing the grease in the sliding mechanism of the clamper.

Which part is that? I don't have this model but I only replaced the tray belt like a year ago and I've had the same problem come back already so I might take a look at that next.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 13:31 
Serious fan
Serious fan

shinymopar wrote:
I'm familiar with laser rot but my understanding is it will still play with poor picture or sound. And it seems a coincidence to be all one company. I had one other disc that tried to do it from a different company but when it ejected i put it back in and hit play and it did fine. I've tried all these discs several times and they haven't even tried to play.

Just FYI, laser rot can be bad enough as to prevent a disc from playing, though I've never heard of this on American titles. It's quite common on titles pressed by PDO's plant in Blackburn in the UK, who were generally useless at making discs of any sort. The reason is if the rot happens to affect the table of contents, the player will refuse to read the disc in normal mode. However, you can get these to play if you can put the player into test mode (either with a special remote, or a universal remote that you can program especially (I have an Android app which does it), or by bridging a couple of contacts on the motherboard), as this bypasses the reading of the table of contents.

On my player this failure will throw up an error message (in the P series, I don't recall which one) both on the VFD screen and on the OSD. But I don't know about yours.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 15:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Only US discs I've ever had issues with were cracked or Discovision, all other full snow rot would play.
Remember I had one that would glitch and bounce around but would still play, it was a Japanese disc.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 20:49 
Third post and above
Third post and above

cplusplus wrote:

Why would it only affect these few discs and not my entire collection? Its not intermittent it just won't play these discs and it will play any other perfectly fine.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2020, 21:01 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'm just confused. I know there is nothing else in the unit. And it is only these few discs that have an issue, not intermittently but I have yet to get any of them to play and I've tried them all several times. I have other discs that have no issue in playing and there are even a couple WB titles in that group that play perfectly fine. I just don't know what these titles have in common that may be causing an issue. As far as I can tell they are all US releases. I can't find anything on them about being a foreign release. I admit a couple have some scratches and such but a couple look mint or as pretty close to mint as you can get.

Its also odd how it acts with them. Like I said a couple won't even register you put a disc in the machine. No Laserdisc on the tv screen and no LD on the players screen. And a couple will register but won't even try to spin up to speed before it opens and ejects. Nothing on the screen about any errors or codes, it asks as if I just reached down and hit the open button on the machine. This machine is really in good shape with the exception of the flip issue going from side b to side a. Other than that it works perfect. Hence why I keep thinking it is more of a disc issue than the player. I would think if it had an issue it would have issues with numerous discs and also the problem would come and go

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 02:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sorry this is beyond my knowledge.
Hope you can figure it out or if you find another player you can find out if it really is the discs or player.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 02:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The player has a side switching issue. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s realistic to think that whatever causes that issue isn’t also causing other issues. It’s like complaining that a car isn’t getting quite the MPG it used to when the engine light has been on for a year.

While it may seem odd that some discs won’t play, especially two of the same title, this is actually pretty normal for dodgy old analog tech. There are numerous random factors that are constantly causing signals to drift this way and that and just as many correction factors applied. Sometimes when all the randomness is stacked up you’ll find that the correction factors aren’t big enough. Magnetic tape is more susceptible than LD but similar things occur. IE: maybe the clamp isn’t mounting those discs quite the same way and when a not perfectly aligned laser plays the disc it can’t focus because it’s just 0.01mm too close or two far away. Other discs may sit differently and play fine. I’d say two of the same movie not playing is almost proof that this is going on. There’s probably nothing wrong with the discs, they just don’t play well in broken decks.

The best hope is that it goes away with playing. In the meanwhile it could be helpful to just record a video of it doing things. When you’ve owned dozens of players and seen hundreds of discs you get a good feeling for “normal” that a new user has none of. We may be able to make some good guesses just by watching it. If you can get the cover off safely and film the side change that may help as well.

My assumption is that the sled isn’t traveling correctly and this has misaligned the laser. It could be a broken gear tooth or something like that.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 04:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

shinymopar wrote:
cplusplus wrote:

Why would it only affect these few discs and not my entire collection? Its not intermittent it just won't play these discs and it will play any other perfectly fine.

What I mean is that it sounds like the player is unable to achieve focus on those discs. When you say you bought a "stack" of discs, were they actually stacked? I'm wondering if they are warped.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 04:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:
cplusplus wrote:
Yeah replacing the belt definitely helps as well as replacing the grease in the sliding mechanism of the clamper.

Which part is that?

In the attached photo. If your player has this just clean and re-grease it.

Attachments:
CLD-D502_Clamper.jpg
CLD-D502_Clamper.jpg [ 167.24 KiB | Viewed 2900 times ]

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 20:16 
Third post and above
Third post and above

cplusplus wrote:
shinymopar wrote:
cplusplus wrote:

What I mean is that it sounds like the player is unable to achieve focus on those discs. When you say you bought a "stack" of discs, were they actually stacked? I'm wondering if they are warped.

Well they were standing up in a box but I don't know if that is normally how they were stored or just that way when we met to pick them up. One of the movies I had before and it won't play either. Again I don't know how it use to be stored but it looks mint

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]