It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:11

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anyone in the USA Still Repair/Refurb players?
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 16:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have a DVL-909 that skips when it auto-flips to side B. It's not a dealbreaker, i just have to hit stop and manually flip the disc. But i sure would like to get the unit serviced someday so that i can use that feature again. The second laser must be out of alignment or something.

I have two working other players, but it's crazy to think that people are just junking these sometimes rather than attempting to repair them. Coming from the retro gaming community, i know there are a lot of people working on old consoles, replacing the caps, parts, etc. So being a NEWB over here i thought i'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Anyone in the USA Still Repair/Refurb players?
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 17:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hello, need LD repair

Basically no. Kurtis Bahr is basically the only guy left and he is so backed up he isn't taking on new work.

The biggest issues compared to video games seem to be the lack of general/public knowledge, replacement parts drying up (like Harlock says you for some you basically have to have duplicate units for parts and hope that part is there and working) and complexity of the work (LD players are much more intricate than just about any game console you could think of).

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 17:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The good thing is that you have an easier to repair player.
Sounds like something getting stuck or mechanical and I would just run it with the top off to see what the issue may be.
But you do any repairs at your own risk.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 17:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like it could be the Side B Centering adjustment if it plays fine on Side A.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 20:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
Sounds like it could be the Side B Centering adjustment if it plays fine on Side A.

I'm relatively handy. Is there any documentation on how to do a centering adjustment anywhere.

I can tell it's something out of whack that needs adjustment, rather than broken.

Thanks

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 21:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

See page 66 of RRV2089 here: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pio ... L/DVL-919/ for the Side B centering adjustment point.

Page 74 covers the actual adjustment. You'll need an oscilliscope to make it perfect, but you might can get by with a lot of patience and extremely small adjustments. Just keep in mind you can make things much worse very quickly without the proper equipment.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 21:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

cplusplus wrote:
See page 66 of RRV2089 here: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pio ... L/DVL-919/ for the Side B centering adjustment point.

Page 74 covers the actual adjustment. You'll need an oscilliscope to make it perfect, but you might can get by with a lot of patience and extremely small adjustments. Just keep in mind you can make things much worse very quickly without the proper equipment.

Thanks. Oscilliscope!? Well that got real fast :lol:

Since this is my primary player, and it's still A-1 for side 1, may as well not touch it till i have more problems down the road.

Going to save that manual/this thread as a reference though.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 21:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah thats honestly the best idea. There is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." and then "If it ain't broke enough, don't fix it." :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 22:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

cplusplus wrote:
Yeah thats honestly the best idea. There is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." and then "If it ain't broke enough, don't fix it." :lol:

This is the approach I've taken. Most of my players have some quirks but the only one I want to fix is the LDS1 that clearly needs a recap.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 22:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Recap the entire unit or just the power supply? Either way you are in good shape because you should be able to find someone within driving distance if you don't want to do it yourself. It is mainly the video part of LD players that you can't find anyone to work on anymore. For example, if you call up a decent shop and tell them your power supply is dead, they should be able to fix it. They key word is decent though. I've heard horror stories of people going out of their way to pay a $50 or so diagnostic fee to a shop to be told they need a new board for a machine that left the factory 30 years ago.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2020, 23:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Pioneer changed how the track is mounted for the DVL players for side B. What is happening is that the pickup gear is not properly engaging the track for the inner tracks. What some people are doing is changing the centering which also changes the angle and depth the laser gear engages with the track and this can help. The real issue is the mounting of the track and the track itself. I have seen perfectly straight tracks from front to back and the last one I had to fix actually curved up at the spindle motor end. I normally add a slight spring force to push down and the problem is fixed but the placement of the force is not always the same. Once this is done the unit works throughout the centering range. Back when Duncan was around I had a conversation with him and he believe Pioneer had some bad rails and they just needed to be replaced. I have cleaned and re-greased the same rail and it does not help. Remember the laser sits at one point and the electronics has a range where is moves the laser front to back then the movement motor pulse for a slight movement and at the same time the electronics moves the laser to the front to begin the same cycle again while properly tacking the disc. What is happening is the pickup is not moving as the front to back electronic movement is made with the laser and the laser starts jumping the track it is focused on back. If you have the top off you can actually take something small, I use a dental pick, and press up or down on the track near the pickup when it is in the jumping loop and you’ll see it move to the place it should be at.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 00:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for the post Kurtis, very insightful. I'm glad to see information like this get documented.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 00:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

cplusplus wrote:
Recap the entire unit or just the power supply? Either way you are in good shape because you should be able to find someone within driving distance if you don't want to do it yourself. It is mainly the video part of LD players that you can't find anyone to work on anymore. For example, if you call up a decent shop and tell them your power supply is dead, they should be able to fix it. They key word is decent though. I've heard horror stories of people going out of their way to pay a $50 or so diagnostic fee to a shop to be told they need a new board for a machine that left the factory 30 years ago.

I'm not fully sure it could definitely be in the power supply. Issues start manifesting when it's been playing a disc for awhile. It's possible to not see it on shorter movies but if it is longer or I am watching a couple things in a row there starts to be an issue with a distorted thick line near the top of the picture. I know it's not the discs because when I first saw this happen I frantically checked the same spots on other players.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 06:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well I guess if you recap it and it still doesn't resolve the issue you at least still have new caps. What years did they make the LD-S1? 1986-1989?

The unfortunate part is the LD-S1 is jam packed when you open it up. I don't think it would be too much fun getting those boards out. In contrast, the boards for the newer players (i.e. CLD-Dx04) are trivial to get out in comparison. When I get a new player, I take a look at the boards for any bulging or leaking caps, dark spots on the PCB, etc.

I'd love to have a LD-S1, functioning or not. I'm just a fan of good single sided players in general.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 18:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

cplusplus wrote:
What years did they make the LD-S1? 1986-1989?

IIRC;

1987~1989 U.S.
1986~1988 JAPAN

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 20:20 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

tasuke wrote:
cplusplus wrote:
What years did they make the LD-S1? 1986-1989?

IIRC;

1987~1989 U.S.
1986~1988 JAPAN

Its pretty much the same in both countries right? just introduced at different times for some reason?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 17:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

sales in the U.S. were slower, i suppose, or there was more stock produced for the market, taking longer to sell out, maybe.

whatever the reason, things seemed to sell faster in Japan, with predictably rapid product shelf-life cycles.
the U.S. market simply always was stuck a good year or so behind it's Domestic Japanese peer...

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 17:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

xtempo wrote:
Its pretty much the same in both countries right? just introduced at different times for some reason?

Yep with the only differences I have seen being the back plate of the player and remote. The Japanese unit uses remote CU-LD005 and the US uses CLD-LD008. Surely identical except for the text.

tasuke wrote:
sales in the U.S. were slower, i suppose, or there was more stock produced for the market, taking longer to sell out, maybe.

I'm not sure. Some of the US units show "MFD March 1989" on the back, unless they were just retrofitting the english back panels on the Japanese units.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2020, 21:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Single sided players are starting to grow on me.... The less complexity, the less chance something is going to break and/or cause you problems.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2020, 00:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I personally love the S1 its a great machine but due to age all players have risks now.

Even mine I believe is slipping on startup, haven't had a chance to open and check it out, still in the box from our last move.
Before I set it up I will check it out on my work table after construction when I can sit and enjoy some films and anime.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next