It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:02

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sellers, can I pick your brains?
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 04:54 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Howdy folks. I'll try to be succinct. A few months ago I bought a lot of laserdiscs- around 400- all sorts of discs and generally good condition. After picking out those I want to keep I'm still left with hundreds. I plan on taking part in my local flea market within the next month, and have a notion of what I may charge but I'd like to hear what the community thinks. Taking into account materials/shipping, it would seem most common discs would cost a person 10 to 15 dollars. I'm thinking $10 for common discs, $20 for Disney and 30 or $40 for the nicer box sets (ie The Godfather Trilogy) and Criterion. If someone wanted to buy a lot I'm sure I'd work out a deal. Is this reasonable? I'm not big on haggling, and this may be a crapshoot, but its only $25 bucks for a large (20'x25') space. Any advice/criticism is appreciated. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Sellers, can I pick your brains?
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 05:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm not a seller. But speaking from a buyers point of view have you watched every LD you want to sell completely to see if there are any rotters? I would think flea market buyers would expect to haggle, especially for common releases. I wouldn't pay $10usd for common "cheap" releases myself, more like $3-5aud max (which is around $2-3usd) but probably not even that if it was at something like a market with little possibility of doing a faulty return.

A fair amount of the LD's in my collection here cost me $3aud each, if they were no good the seller was prepared to replace them with another title of same value.

There are a lot more laserdiscs available in the US so I can't see why something like this example would be worth $10usd:
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) [LV 1643-2WS]

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 06:03 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So 5 bucks for something like Honey I Shrunk the Kids, how about a foreign film or Japanese release that commands 8-$18 online? A lot of 'value' seems to be reliant on numbers produced and perception. I've reviewed most of what I plan on offering initially, adding titles as time goes on. As an aside, I'm willing to take requests from whomever stumbles across this thread- if there's something you're looking for and can't track it down, I can flip through the boxes. I've noticed a lot of quirky/foreign/artsy films in this eclectic mix.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 06:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lazerman wrote:
So 5 bucks for something like Honey I Shrunk the Kids, how about a foreign film or Japanese release that commands 8-$18 online? A lot of 'value' seems to be reliant on numbers produced and perception. I've reviewed most of what I plan on offering initially, adding titles as time goes on. As an aside, I'm willing to take requests from whomever stumbles across this thread- if there's something you're looking for and can't track it down, I can flip through the boxes. I've noticed a lot of quirky/foreign/artsy films in this eclectic mix.

I honestly don't know about the value of Japanese releases in the US. I mean common Japanese stuff that isn't valuable, but over here Japanese releases are generally much easier to find than US releases. They're also usually in much better condition and less prone to rot.
Most of my small LD collection is Japanese.

Edit:
Some examples of Japanese releases I have...

These cost me $3aud:
Solar Crisis (1990) (Uncut) [PCLP-00128]
Slipstream (1989) [SF047-1653]
Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold (1986) [SF078-5501]

This one is still common enough but quite popular, it cost me $20aud sealed:
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999) [PILF-2830]

This cost me $60aud complete but not sealed:
Planet of the Apes: The Complete Collection (Uncut) [PILF-2069]

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 06:32 
lazerman wrote:

Those are the sort of thing that tend to interest me on LD; the DVD/BD alternatives often come at FOH prices. If you'd post a quick spread picture that'd be great.

For $ deadlegion is correct. Cover condition also factors highly: observe the grading guide here.
Bear in mind AC3 and DTS values. Disney it seems is dropping due to the channel.
"Honey I shrunk the kids" doesn't even sound like $5 to me unless it looks beautiful. If you're unwilling to haggle people may walk seeing every common LD @ $5.
Your Criterion and box set appraisal sounds right. Japanese releases with nice covers should fetch well; anime definitely will.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 07:04 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Not a seller, but at least from what I've seen there are a lot of sellers out there who have no idea if the titles they're selling even play. Either their players gave out, or they got the discs from someone else (inherited, donated, etc). It's risky buying off these guys, but if it's a title you really want and no one else is selling it... :think:

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 07:17 
Third post and above
Third post and above

snipes, I'll snap some pics and have them up later today (its 2am EST for me)
shinobi, like I mentioned I've been checking what I'm selling at the market and as far as requests I'll be giving them a thorough once over. I'm not looking for top-dollar from forum members (nor do I want to undercut others and open a shop necessarily). I'd just like to make my money back and a little something extra on top of the goodies I picked out. There was a ton of Bond flicks I couldn't resist.
$3 sounds like a fair going-rate to pay in person for your average movie, it seems?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 07:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lazerman wrote:
$3 sounds like a fair going-rate to pay in person for your average movie, it seems?

Maybe, I guess. If it were me (selling at a market) I would seriously consider going a tad lower if a potential buyer was interested in buying a few cheapies at once though...not haggling as such, but should be easier to offload more common titles that way.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 14:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You will be making more muscles than money.

Let us know who much larger your arms get from doing this.

It all depens on your location and if anybody really want's to buy honey I shrunk the kids for more than a buck as the DVD is only a buck.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 19:20 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Heh, boy am I regretting using 'Honey' as an off-the-cuff example. There aren't a lot of cheapo discs in the lot, but I can see how 2bucks is attractive to anyone. Pictures inbound shortly.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 19:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you have stuff with solid value online that is where I would sell it unless there is a thriving LD fanbase in your fleamarket area.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 20:10 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Honestly, this first market is going to be a test. I don't know what to expect. If its a bust, then it was only $25, but turnout at any given week is a big factor. I'll be theoretically attending the first market of the year so I'd like to think a lot of folks will be showing up. Its obvious online is where I can 'make the most', but given the sheer volume, I'd really only be focusing on the most valuable discs and all the legwork/c.o.d.b. associated.

Here's the first batch of photos, taken from my reasonably priced smartphone. There's a few more boxes I need to sort.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187414420@N06/

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 21:37 
lazerman wrote:
Heh, boy am I regretting using 'Honey' as an off-the-cuff example. There aren't a lot of cheapo discs in the lot, but I can see how 2bucks is attractive to anyone. Pictures inbound shortly.

Nah, it was clear that's what it was. 'Die Hard' wouldn't have been any different.
You're right, there definitely aren't a lot of cheapo discs in that foreign/random picture. I think I'm priced out of those Euro classics--for their Japanese print selection your buyers will probably like to know whether subtitles run in the picture.

Here's what I made of the ID numbers where the names weren't on the spines:
El Cid (j)
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (j)
Ryan's Daughter (j)
The Fall of the Roman Empire (j)
White Line Fever (j)

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 22:05 
Third post and above
Third post and above

2 more boxes of Criterion and miscellany added to the Flickr. Any requests will be completely viewed, most sleeves are fair to good condition with a couple sealed. Most of these I haven't looked up individual prices for, so if there's something you want/need but can't pony up premium money for just know I'm reasonable. I'd rather help a fellow collector than make maximum profit.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 22:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Definitely a lot of good movies there no doubt about it.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 02:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I would just do Ebay and whatever is left over do lots.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 02:28 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:

Advice on "doing" lots? Looking for local pickup via Craigslist? Otherwise that's a ton of weight..

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 05:09 
True fan
True fan

Put them for sale on LDDB and see what happens.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 02:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

lazerman wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Advice on "doing" lots? Looking for local pickup via Craigslist? Otherwise that's a ton of weight..

I usually purchase massive lots whenever I can for 50 or 75 cents per title, pull the discs that I want for my collection, then resell the lot for the same price per disc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]