It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:43

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can weight alter playback ?
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2020, 21:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:

It really will, the weight will mess up your LD player 100% it will press down and you don't want that.

I can't quite agree with this assessment.

I agree that putting something heavy on top of a player like an AV Receiver or multiple components is not a good idea. However, something light like a DVD player or in my case I have the Sony, SDP-E800, DD Processor on my player (weights in @ 14lbs) shouldn't affect it in any way especially since the footers of the device in question are on the edges of the player and is not focusing all its weight in the middle where the LD player's internals would be most affected by it (e.g.: the loading mechanism, clamper assembly, auto reverse track, etc.).

So by taking that into consideration, it should be fine.

Last edited by ldfan on 15 Apr 2020, 01:47, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2020, 23:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Do you do it?

I don't, I won't and others shouldn't do it.

Don't know if I posted it before but I'll post it again.
Reminds me of the people who would buy 2 and 4 dollar carrying cases for their 300-800 dollar phones and then they were upset that
their phone fell on the ground and broke.......

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 01:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Earlier players should be able to take more weight than the later ones. I know the two support bars that run from the front to the back of the chassis of a CLD-Dx03/CLD-Dx04 can bend easily at the back. Care has to be taken if you are removing the clamper so you don't press down too hard while unscrewing it. I wan't to say that the bonnets are more flimsy on the mid to late 90s players as well.

Pioneer writes "Do not place heavy objects such as a television or TV monitor on top of the player." in the user manuals for the record. I can't imagine someone putting a CRT on top :crazy: .

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 03:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cplusplus wrote:
Pioneer writes "Do not place heavy objects such as a television or TV monitor on top of the player." in the user manuals for the record. I can't imagine someone putting a CRT on top :crazy: .

3.7" Trinitron maybe? :P

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 07:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Do you do it?

I thought I was making it clear that I have my SDP-E800 on my player :eh: (I re-edited my reply to clarify that just in case) and my player is a ProScan model that is a clone of the Pioneer CLD-2090 (so this player has a much more robust design than a post 1995 player).

So nope... no issues with stacking this light weight component on the player and let me just add that I also have a Denon, LA-3100 stacked on another LA-3100 (sorbothane footers separating the two) and still have no issues there (3100 is a clone of the Pioneer CLD-D701 with about the same build quality as the 2090).

Hope I am not driving you nuts or making you cringe because of my stacking habit. Suffice it to say, at least there is no heavy CRT on them. :)

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 09:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

hmm, you got me thinking now ldfan. My amp is actually shoebox size and one foot has been sitting in the middle of my CD player for about 3 months. Recently the CDP been giving me a couple of read errors and it's usually rock solid reliable.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 14:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I cringe with all of it.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 05:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ryosaeba84 wrote:
The xbox was the best console of it's generation, best exclusive games, it was the most powerful, hell it could output 720p at 60 fps on some games, the ports were globally better than on the other consoles, it even has the best controller ever made (the duke).
As for the cdi, I understand that most people are just ignorants about it and only know the zelda games (even though, to me, they're the best zelda games because zelda games aren't really good games to begin with), but it really is a little gem of a console I grew fond of, lots of unknown little games that are quite good, even though not easy to come by.

Dude. You need to get an Atari Jaguar. You’d friggn LOVE that thing.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 09:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
Dude. You need to get an Atari Jaguar. You’d friggn LOVE that thing.

I had the Jaguar from day one, loved it.
If you want total cringe get an Amiga CD32, or a 3DO. That console had big software houses supporting it,
and it fell through even before the jag.
But I can rescue myself from being looked down upon by saying my favorite console was the TurboDuo.
Never bothered with XBox or CDi.
One story I remember about CDi though, I entered this giant media store (must have been around 1994) and
asked a clerk where the LaserDiscs are, and he took me to the CDi corner. Of course the LD's were at a
completely different area of the store, he just did not know better.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 16:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t really have a favorite system, I like the SNES/SFC, MD/Gen, Neo, and PCEngine/Turbo a lot and newer stuff less depending on how new it is. What’s clear as day though is that the 3DO, CDi, and Jag were all mega flops of various levels.

The 3DO did the best job of being a game machine since it actually had some real stuff on it like Street Fighter and Samurai Showdown. Of course it cost $700 and was mostly crap software so it failed mega. The CDi’s closest thing to a “real” game would be the Laserdisc arcade ports which it played smoother than any other system. These aren’t considered to be very good games by arcade standards though, just by CDi standards. The Jag just blew chunks left and right but it did have a lot of titles one would recognize as a real game but most were bad. Like Amiga games but not as good. It...what...Rayman and Aliens vs Predator that that’s it, right? All three systems have extremely bad controllers. That’s sort of the hallmark of a crap systems. When your dumb CEO green lights the pad that any gamer would tell you is crap compared to what Sega and Nintendo were doing you know there are problems like that everywhere in the chain. They just didn’t get it..

All three of those systems are powerfully bad machines that lost tons of money for their manufacturers and I can easily name ten more good games for almost any system. They are all different in how they failed though. I think if I had to be stuck with only one game machine and it had to be one of the Legendary Three megaflop machines I’d have to pick the 3DO. It has Return Fire which is better than any CDi game and is versus. Nearly every game for the Jag is borderline unplayable crap excerpt for AvP and all the stuff that was ported like Tempest 2000 and Rayman, for example (two games which exist on PS and Saturn along with 500 other things to play). The CDi has just...nothing. I’d never play video games if that was my only system. The Jag is something you buy if you have a chip on your shoulder and want to carry it forever. From the stupid nationalistic ads listing meaningless stats to threatening to sue Sony if the Playstation had too low of a price to its fans defending it’s 50 game library of at least 45 horrible titles for 25 years and what may have been if ANYONE had actually figured out how to make games with its giant pile chips. The Jag is the racist uncle of game machines...talking about throwing that winning pass in high school. The 3DO and CDi are more like Waterworld and Phantom Menace. All three absolutely blow. Even compared to an XBox 1. The XB game selection steamrolls the three worst systems. They really are the Three Worse Systems. There isn’t really anything that deserves to be grouped in to make it a foursome. Nothing sucks like those POS.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 17:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Wasn't AVP the only thing keeping that Jaguar going.
If it didn't have that it would have been toast.

What was the only game on 3DO? I remember they too only had one game

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 00:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
Wasn't AVP the only thing keeping that Jaguar going.
If it didn't have that it would have been toast.

What was the only game on 3DO? I remember they too only had one game

No, not really. The 3DO really sucked but it had some games. It was the only home version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo for several years. It had the only non-Geo version of Samurai Shodown that scaled. It had a FIFA game. Policenauts, Flash Back, Road Rash, Wing Commander, Puzzle Bobble...there are about 300 3DO games and about 50 Jag games and even those 50 are usually very below average like Club Drive or Fight for Life. It’s the worst Atari system ever made, which is really saying something.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 09:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well certainly there were some pretty bad games, and yes Club Drive was one of them.

What I like to remember is games I enjoyed, while you seem to have a fetish for bad things rather.
Yes the marketing "Made in USA" could be called racist, you could even go so far to call the Jag the Donald Trump of consoles :P

The main problem I see is that the exclusive titles are missing that make the console a must have, as some of the good games you
can get, you can also get for other systems.

Some additional games besides the ones mentioned earlier I liked back in the day on my Jag: Doom (let us also just mention Wolfenstein),
Atari Karts, Worms, Iron Soldier, Super Burnout, Towers II, Zero 5.
Then you had a bunch of conversions that were not bad but looked like 16 bit games, a bit underwhelming unfortunately.
Now the CD add-on was an even bigger miss as it only had one game I liked: Battlesphere.

And if you talk about bad controllers, everything but the Neo Geo Arcade Controller Pro is crap.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 10:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

lons_vex wrote:
Yes the marketing "Made in USA" could be called racist, you could even go so far to call the Jag the Donald Trump of consoles :P

Why could it be called racist? Last time I checked the USA wasn't a race, but one of the most diverse societies on Earth...

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 11:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I was interested by buying a jaguar at some point for my collection, but it's too expensive for what it is in my opinion and the games are also expensive. Oh and, why do you find the Jaguar racist ? I know of the racist but funny anti Japanese ads from Amiga, but never heard anything from atari.

Quote:
The CDi is the Phantom Menace of game console
, I couldn't have put it better and I must say you're right for once zeta, it's a misunderstood and very interesting little gem.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 12:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I never thought of CD-i as a gaming system anyway, I always thought it was intended to be a poor man's CD-ROM (remember how much an average multimedia PC cost back in those days) considering all the non-gaming content for the system. Plus they came with the crappy navigator remote by default instead of a proper gamepad.

Which honestly makes it more attractive to me because I never much of a gamer but I've always had a soft spot for the golden age of multimedia CD-ROMs when you had one for every topic you could imagine, and some of them probably had several. I'd buy one but the only system I ever see come up for sale is the Philips 450 which is about as basic as it gets, and I want a frontloader.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 13:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Not sure I have a favorite system either. I'm sure I've beat the most games on PS1 or PS2 but I did not catalog my game clears until fairly recently. So there was a lot of stuff I beat on those consoles when I was younger. I like the Dreamcast a lot, in fact I've probably played it more than most including the depths and crevices of the library. But it's hard to call that my favorite because I don't play it much anymore. If this was 2006-12-ish when I was going wild exploring the import library, absolutely it was.

Before this year over the last three years or so I made a real effort each year to get a game for every system I have. I completed that task twice. There were highs and lows for sure. Given the small size of the Sega CD library and me not wanting to do replays it got me to do Snatcher, an amazing experience, for the Sega CD game one year. It confirmed my distaste for the N64 as well as handheld systems in general. I pretty much suffered through playing on handhelds to play franchises I truly loved. Super happy to see Fire Emblem back to a home console experience. I beat 6 PCE games in 2017, well 7 if you count Outrun. I actually did every route permutation of Outrun so it took a bit.. Actually beat Super Metroid for the first time but on the other hand finished Banjo Kazooie.

This year I think I've only beat stuff on PS1 and PS4. Doesn't help that I picked long games. Finally beat Xenogears (AMAZING GAME) and beat stuff like Yakuza 5 to near full completion and Sekiro (another amazing game).

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 17:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’ve been playing mostly PC Engine this year and also a lot of KOF 2003 on the MVS downstairs.

I was excited for the PCE Mini so I got out all my real PCE stuff and have been playing that a lot. Then the PCE finally showed up and that’s got me into Ys I&II and Bonk 2 like it’s the day I got my first CDROM2 systems. I never get sick of PCE, been buying it’s games since 1992.

I’ve never cleared every route in any version of Outrun. You’re way better than I am. Is it actually possible to get good at Outrun or do you just have to make a lot of attempts at the harder courses? They have always seems totally impossible to be. I do love the game though.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 17:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ryosaeba84 wrote:
I was interested by buying a jaguar at some point for my collection, but it's too expensive for what it is in my opinion and the games are also expensive. Oh and, why do you find the Jaguar racist ? I know of the racist but funny anti Japanese ads from Amiga, but never heard anything from atari.

Quote:
The CDi is the Phantom Menace of game console
, I couldn't have put it better and I must say you're right for once zeta, it's a misunderstood and very interesting little gem.

You have to have lived through it. If you didn’t read gaming magazines 25 years ago you weren’t exposed to half the stuff I’m complaining about. If you got your Jag the way most people do, at a garage sale, and it actually came with one of the good games you may just think it’s a normal video game machine. If you’ve never hung out on a video game forum with a bunch of Jag fans...you have no idea. They are the worst. They still blame various ball dropper and choke jobbers inside and outside the company, the media, or course they blame the media.

To be clear though...and be serious. Isn’t it possible, likely even, that you just have very bad taste? The Phantom Menace isn’t misunderstood. It sucks. The CDI sucked even worse. The Jag sucked even worse than that. Maybe you like stuff that sucks?

What’s your favorite album of all time?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 18:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I used to own an upright of Outrun, there was a pattern to it, you could beat it but you needed to play over and over again
and needed to make those turns just right otherwise it would take time off.

I never had a chance to beat it when I owned it but was very far on 1 quarter.
Can't even remember now how far but it was in the minutes, could have been over 8 minutes into the game, possibly 10.
If you know anything about arcades then you know the sweet spot is slightly over 2 minutes.

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next