It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:20

Page 3 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Can weight alter playback ?
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 20:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s pretty simple. The harder courses are to the right, the difficulty stays the same if you keep left. All versions are as long, I think.

I just find the traffic and the corners in the harder courses to be extremely hard. I’ve never watched anyone who was good play it though so I don’t even know what success looks like.

The Coast to Coast ones I can handle. They require less commitment in the corners, I think.

https://youtu.be/H_NjdlxT4ng

My friend’s company made an Outrun clone called Oh Deer! that really captured the feel of Outrun better than anything I’ve played. It runs *super* smoothly and at resolution several times the 16-bit original. Sadly, it’s almost impossible to play since it was made for PlayStation Mobile, a now discontinued service from Sony you’ve never heard of before and you can’t buy it anymore. In fact, it was only sale only for a month or so, IIRC.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 00:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’ve never cleared every route in any version of Outrun. You’re way better than I am. Is it actually possible to get good at Outrun or do you just have to make a lot of attempts at the harder courses? They have always seems totally impossible to be. I do love the game though.

I think so. I never could have beat the hardest routes when I started and I'd probably have to warm back up into the groove now. You start getting used to hitting turns exactly right. A few do require slowdown though. Over the course of doing that I got a couple of crazy scores where I had a fair bit of time left. Most, however, were with just a few seconds left. I was trying to find all the pictures I took while doing this but only found a few. The best score I found from among my runs is 15,792,160. Scoring I assume is different across versions, this was PCE as mentioned.

signofzeta wrote:
It’s pretty simple. The harder courses are to the right, the difficulty stays the same if you keep left. All versions are as long, I think.

I just find the traffic and the corners in the harder courses to be extremely hard. I’ve never watched anyone who was good play it though so I don’t even know what success looks like.

The Coast to Coast ones I can handle. They require less commitment in the corners, I think.

I believe length is the same. More traffic to the right for sure.

The PCE is awesome. YS I-II and YS IV are just phenomenal games to me. Lots of other good games but those might be my favorites on the system.

I've just been playing a lot of Souls games, they are basically time vampires. Really helpful to pass the time while stuck at home. I played Dark Souls 3 for 5 hours today before I looked at the clock again. DS1 is probably my favorite of the actual Souls games, the way the world interconnects is incredible. I love the atmosphere of Bloodborne, the fast paced gameplay is nice too. Sekiro cleaned up a lot of stuff even if it's not strictly the same (no stats is the huge change). Removing boss run backs was a fantastic decision that I hope they continue with in Elden Ring.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 08:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I actually played the original Outrun when I was a little kid, I think.

I know I was little because I could barely reach the pedals. :silent:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 08:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My favourite console is Sega Saturn

My favorite game is Dynamite Deka

My favorite album is Sister by Sonic Youth

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 10:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Quote:
Isn’t it possible, likely even, that you just have very bad taste?
No, do you ? You always like to criticize others people views, taste and ways of thinking, as if you're any better, yet you never seem to question your own judgement and probably think as if your always right.
Let's be serious for a moment, for the CDi, I know it looks I'm reaching, but I genuinely find an appeal to this machine, it's story and it's library.
As for the Phantom Menace, except for the dialogues and some of the acting, it's a really solid movie, I never understood the hate for the prequels and probably never will, tbh, I'm getting tired of it, especially since it crossed my mind that it might be because of people like you and other haters that we got the crap disney have been pouring on us for the past few years.

And to answer your last question, I don't really have a favourite album, I mostly listen to OSTs and City Pop music.

This topic really got out of hands hey.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 16:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think a lot are sitting inside for too long.
Someone needs a dog or cat for walks during allowed times.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 18:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ryosaeba84 wrote:
Quote:
No, do you ? You always like to criticize others people views, taste and ways of thinking, as if you're any better, yet you never seem to question your own judgement and probably think as if your always right.
Let's be serious for a moment, for the CDi, I know it looks I'm reaching, but I genuinely find an appeal to this machine, it's story and it's library.
As for the Phantom Menace, except for the dialogues and some of the acting, it's a really solid movie, I never understood the hate for the prequels and probably never will, tbh, I'm getting tired of it, especially since it crossed my mind that it might be because of people like you and other haters that we got the crap disney have been pouring on us for the past few years.

And to answer your last question, I don't really have a favourite album, I mostly listen to OSTs and City Pop music.

If Disney is making new Star Wars movies for me, compromising them in some way, then they aren’t very smart. I haven’t seen a single one of them and I have no plans to.

Good stuff exists. Crap stuff exists. Quality isn’t something you can render meaningless just because you don’t care about it. It’s as real as anything and artists kill themselves trying to achieve it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 02:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
ryosaeba84 wrote:
Quote:

If Disney is making new Star Wars movies for me, compromising them in some way, then they aren’t very smart. I haven’t seen a single one of them and I have no plans to.

Good stuff exists. Crap stuff exists. Quality isn’t something you can render meaningless just because you don’t care about it. It’s as real as anything and artists kill themselves trying to achieve it.

Yet you seem prepared to subscribe to a streaming service that censors music and that you hate. You care about quality but you're not quite prepared to give up any modern convenience? As in having to organise your own collection to get what you want out of it. Interesting.

Saeba: What "city pop" do you like?

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 06:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well Forper, there's quite a lot I like but some of my favorite are from artists such as kaoru akimoto, toshiki kadomatso, anri, akina nakamori, junko yagami and a lot of others from whom it's mostly one song I listen too.
Oh and also the whole City Hunter anime soundtrack.
Do you listen to some city pop too Forper ?

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 08:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cool yeah. I got a lot into Kadomatsu and Anri a decade or so ago. I found some of their CDs for a few bucks in a tiny Japanese used bookshop in suburban Melbourne. I've got a lot of their stuff now, my favorite Kadomatsu is still that first one I found, Aru ga mama ni (As it is) from '92. It's just the perfect CD to put on late at night with a beer. They led me to Omega Tribe, of which I have a few great sounding tapes, want the CD box set one day..Not familiar with Akimoto or Yagami

Nakamori I like too but I'd classify more as straight pop/rock but that's just personal from the feeling the music gives me. There are a lot of other artists I like recently that are in that broad Japanese modern folk area, that more or less spans Chage and Aska , which I've been into for decades, to Miki Imai to Inagaki Junichi to some of the more niche artists I'm really into recently, like Seishiro Kusunose and Taizo Jinnouchi.

All this stuff is much more interesting to me recently than all the Komuro family stuff I used to listen to in the '90s, which is the epitome of "Jpop" to me, although I still respect it, and have the recent TK box set coming to me. I don't go back to it often but when I do I enjoy it.

All these genres subjectively bleed into each other I guess, when they're released they don't have a label "city pop" or "j-rock" or "new music" but once you get to know the feeling you have with each artist and their associations and associated acts it gets easier. I recently reorganised my collection into categories I'm happy with. I don't think there is an "official" way but I wouldn't mind rechecking how Tower Shibuya categorise their discs..

I've been listening to and collecting Japanese popular music since 1998 and I feel like I'm still only scratching the surface. I find it funny when people say Japanese pop is "crap". They probably only know a couple of random anime theme songs.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 09:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I think when people are saying that j-pop is crap, they are referring to the modern pop music, that as you said, usually are anime openings or sounds like them, also very reminiscent of the k-pop style (which I can't bear listen too).
It's really nice you got the CDs and boxsets, I don't have any hard copy (can't afford too) and just download them from youtube when I find a music I like.
I only discovered this type of music like 4-5 years ago now, it really got me going on from time to time, now I like listening to it before sleeping, or when I'm taking a walk.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 10:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yeah i would not recommend stacking if you have other options.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 11:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ryosaeba84 wrote:
I think when people are saying that j-pop is crap, they are referring to the modern pop music, that as you said, usually are anime openings or sounds like them, also very reminiscent of the k-pop style (which I can't bear listen too).
It's really nice you got the CDs and boxsets, I don't have any hard copy (can't afford too) and just download them from youtube when I find a music I like.
I only discovered this type of music like 4-5 years ago now, it really got me going on from time to time, now I like listening to it before sleeping, or when I'm taking a walk.

yeah I dunno. Some people around me have been scoffing at Japanese music for a long time before the K-pop phenomenon.

Maybe I'm missing something about Korean music, and I'm sure there is more to it than what you see and hear in the mainstream (which I agree is horrible) but South Korean society has been a lot more austere, poor and rigid than Japanese society in the last 50 years. Japanese society has had the advantage of the freedom granted to them by a US written constitution, a phenomenal economy and a cultural thirst for knowledge and information leading to interpretation and eventually innovation. While originally influenced by Western music, Japanese music has become its own thing for a long time now, I would argue now influencing the influencers, only held back from success in the West by the language barrier. Japanese popular music is phenomenal and on par with the best of Western popular music of the past 3 decades. The Japanese sense of melody is unique and superior often to Western in my opinion. There's a certain feeling I can get from Japanese pop that I can't get from Western music.

It's good that you're enjoying the music. Just enjoy it, maybe one day you can seek out your favorites and collect them on CD, LP or hey, even LD. I'll tell ya, Kadamatsu or Anri on CD, on a decent system is bliss to your ears....those CDs from the '80s and early '90s were done well, no remastering necessary..

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 11:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

jakeheke wrote:
Yeah i would not recommend stacking if you have other options.

I would recommend it. Especially over a CDP or LDP, to keep it nice and stable.

Page 3 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3