It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:00

Page 1 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Can weight alter playback ?
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 16:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just a quick question, as I rearranged my setup to gain some space in my room, I came to wander with the stockpiling I made (see picture), can the weight that I put on my LD players (925 and 800, just under my CDi) alter in anyway a machine's playback capabilities in the long term ?

Attachment:
LDweight.jpg
LDweight.jpg [ 148.12 KiB | Viewed 3642 times ]

Post subject: Re: Can weight alter playback ?
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 17:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You need a shelf, man. Pending that, put 2/3 of those LD players in the cupboard. You can’t watch three movies at once. Also, the XBox isn’t flat on top so that MegaCD looks like it’s going to take a big fall at any second. To be safe, burn the X Box. Use the CDi for the fuel.

I think I have the same Sony BR player you do. It’s really really slow but otherwise fine, right?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 17:59 
True fan
True fan

Yeah mate take a trip to IKEA.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 19:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks for the pic, this made me laugh.

This is a good pic for what not to do.
Please if you bother to spend more than 50 bucks on that stack spend 100 on a proper shelf or two.

Reminds me of early cel phones, these .... would buy them for 200-400 Late 90s and then buy the cheapest 2 dollar case to protect it and hang it from their belts.
Then they would be shocked when they fell and broke.....

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 21:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

A little weight on top can be helpful. Too much and you will damage the player.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 22:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I feel sick after seeing so much stuff stacked like that :(
Just pack away any game consoles you aren't currently using.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 08:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well I figured I would eventually need to buy a shelf or something, just wanted to know if this was dangerous in any way, so thanks Cplusplus for your answer.
But why the f**k would I want to burn my xbox and my cdi, zeta I know you're crazy but come on.
If this makes you laugh rein-o, you should have seen how it was before, I really don't have much spare room in the appartment I live in, so there's not really a place to "pack them away", they'll just end up to be a pita elsewhere.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 09:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm a stacker too, think it looks better, less visible cables and adds utility, shorter spans of cable between components, a bit of weight helps stabilise things, I usually put my amp on my CDP then the player is stabilised and the amp can breath. . Anything that puts out heat is always on the top of my stacks in fact. I have some lesser used components in the unit below. Using them requires opening the doors.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 10:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Your setup looks really nice forper, lots of space too.
As for the cables, I did not have any cable management done when I took the picture yesterday, but it looks quite clean now.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 21:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ryosaeba84 wrote:
Well I figured I would eventually need to buy a shelf or something, just wanted to know if this was dangerous in any way, so thanks Cplusplus for your answer.
But why the f**k would I want to burn my xbox and my cdi, zeta I know you're crazy but come on.
If this makes you laugh rein-o, you should have seen how it was before, I really don't have much spare room in the appartment I live in, so there's not really a place to "pack them away", they'll just end up to be a pita elsewhere.

I think it's just a joke about those consoles not being fun to play.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2020, 22:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The XBox was fun, on rare occasions, mostly for the abandoned Dreamcast projects that ended up there and would have been just as fun if they had stayed Dreamcast games. It’s also the Michael Bloomberg of consoles. MS just showed up in a crowded field based on the fact they they are huge and proceeded to buy their way into the game business. They bought the afore mention Sega projects, cancelling the US version of Shenmue 2, bought Bungie, bought Rare. They could hardly have been less of a gaming company. They gave away so many consoles that I personally met two different people who won them from the same Taco Bell location. The entire project lost several billion dollars. Can a game system be less cool? Only if it’s actually shaped like a giant “X”. Lord. After another attempt they managed to see profitability with the 360, presumably now they may even be in the black on the whole project, I don’t know. It wouldn’t matter. They bought their way into a scene they felt entitled to be in and it worked. If Bloomberg runs every 4-8 years presumably his BS will eventually stick too.

The CDi isn’t even a game machine. It’s like a 486 based Windows machine with 1/100 the game selection. It sucks worse than any system ever, I’m pretty sure. At least the 3DO has Return Fire. If someone will trade you a Mega Drive or even a C64 for it I’d take that offer in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 04:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Xbox consoles have basically been for gamers that can't be bothered messing around with PC hardware and settings. I gave up gaming sitting at a desk many years ago, rebuilding a PC because I want a game to run better or trying to figure out what's up with settings software or whatever. Bleh. I'd rather waste my time modding consoles.
I've had plenty of xboxes over the years (all of the gens) and beside faulty consoles I was given for nothing I have only ever had one original Xbox console die on me, and thankfully that was during the 12 month warranty period.

The first console had way better hardware specs than PS2.
The second had more flexible memory utilisation compared to PS3 so had far less issues with ported games.
The current gen started off very badly, but for years now the base model S has had a 4k BD drive and upscaling for a very competitive price. Hell, PS4 Pro doesn't even have a 4k BD drive and the upscaling there isn't as good as X, so you're simply getting access to some exclusive games for the same price.

Nintendo doesn't even figure into comparisons now as it exists in it's own reality.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 04:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I just want to save the princess, man.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 07:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Whats the third player up from the bottom?
Looks like my D590
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 08:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The xbox was the best console of it's generation, best exclusive games, it was the most powerful, hell it could output 720p at 60 fps on some games, the ports were globally better than on the other consoles, it even has the best controller ever made (the duke).
As for the cdi, I understand that most people are just ignorants about it and only know the zelda games (even though, to me, they're the best zelda games because zelda games aren't really good games to begin with), but it really is a little gem of a console I grew fond of, lots of unknown little games that are quite good, even though not easy to come by.

The third player is a CLD-315, it's the one I bought like, a year ago now I think, that had some playback issue with lines appearing mid disc.
Anyway it's just a "spare parts" player now as I took it's laser assembly and put it in my 925 to replace the one I broke like an idiot.
EDIT: I just understood you meant the top one, well it's a CLD-D925 that I had since forever.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 08:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

D925 Nice.
Would like to have one of those as i occasionally find PAL discs in this part of the world
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 14:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Not a big Zelda guy at all but Link to the Past is pretty much the best one.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2020, 18:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Don't think it will alter playback, but unnecessary weight on top of your equipment will probably put a lot of stress on the plastic parts and the top covers.
I have invested in a couple of racks for my players and other equipment. The racks are called Norstone Bergen 2. Very happy with them and they look elegant. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2020, 18:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

laserpaal wrote:
Don't think it will alter playback,

It really will, the weight will mess up your LD player 100% it will press down and you don't want that.

This is never and not a good idea, this is why it gave me a laugh.

Take care of yourself and your gear, this is sometimes the only stuff that will get us through hard times.

My wife spoke with a friend and the whole area has NO internet now and they only have a turntable with 4 records.
This will only get you through a hardpatch for so long.

No weight on your players, if you do you must list it this way when you ever decide to sell so I don't buy them.
Thanks, :ugeek:

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2020, 09:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
laserpaal wrote:
Don't think it will alter playback,

It really will, the weight will mess up your LD player 100% it will press down and you don't want that.

This is never and not a good idea, this is why it gave me a laugh.

Take care of yourself and your gear, this is sometimes the only stuff that will get us through hard times.

My wife spoke with a friend and the whole area has NO internet now and they only have a turntable with 4 records.
This will only get you through a hardpatch for so long.

No weight on your players, if you do you must list it this way when you ever decide to sell so I don't buy them.
Thanks, :ugeek:

Thanks for enlighten me, Rein-o! :) I have learned something new today and I appreciate learning new things all the time.
Yes, I will take care of myself and my gear and I hope you and your wife will do as well. :) I don't think you will ever buy a player from me, Rein-o, unless you would pay for shipping to the US. :lol: I couldn't get decent players locally, so I had to buy them outside of Norway. This is pretty normal for most of us people from the far side of the world. I don't think anyone can afford buying and having a player shipped now or in the near future because of the economy.

Page 1 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next