It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-909] Help required...!
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 19:54 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Dear technical friends,
I've owned my DVL 909 for some 25 years and only use it very occasionally to save it from possible wear & tear because I simply love this marvellous piece of electro-mechanical machinery. Since a couple of days my mood is a bit down because all of a sudden my unit developed a fault. Switched it on and pressed the button to open the tray..... nothing happened.
I'm 79 years old, have done radio overhauls ( tube) tape recorder work and much more cinema technical work and what not, but here I'm completely out of my comfort zone....
Symptom(s): Switching on the unit with main switch, the display shows "STOP", whilst the blue led light is flashing. The "stop" sign disappears after a while leaving the blue led flashing. If I press the DVD or LD "Open" button the display says "OPEN" and diappears after some time. Other than that nothing happens.
When I use the remote to swith everything off, it says "OFF" in the display, still with blue flashing led and after a minute or so the red led in the on/off switch shows.
I've taken the main and rear cover off and have carefully inspected what was possible from every view point. Everything looks like new. The rear reader is parked in its rear position and the small reader unit is near the spindle.
So for me, looking into this complicated affair, it seemed a good idea to start and check the voltages of the power supply. Downloaded the sheet with the circuitry and started looking for a method to get the large tray out to gain acces to the power pcb. Spent hours staring into this, saw that it's a "rack & pinion" transport where a white gear, behind the front engages with the rack under the tray. Cannot turn the white cam and am at my wit's end as how to get the tray out. Would any of you be so kind to take me by the hand and give me some clear instructions on how to proceed? Will you please help me, because I really want this baby to cure from it's illness.
Thank you so much!
Stay healthy and the very best from Holland,
Rob.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL 909 help required...!
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 20:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Rob stay healthy too.

I know others will help more than I can but I believe you need a new belt.
If you can search up or wait for others to comment.

From what I know the hardest part is to find it :lol: but I have seen pictures and it seems easy to fix if you have done
other stuff in the past.
Good luck and lets all keep our LDs running.

And this topic may help you out too.
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5183

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 23:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The first thing to try is toggling the switch for the pickup that is in the top position of the turn mechanism that tells the electronics it is inserted fully into the mechanism. You may have to feel and find the worm wheel on the laser movement motor and turn it to have the pickup come out and turn the other way to have it go back in. Effectively toggling the switch. Then try it again.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 12:10 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Thank you for your kind responses. I realise that my first fairly extensive explication put the accent on the problem within the machine. But I have tried and succeeded to turn the rear units manually and all seems fine there. I also turned the spindle of the front unit to move it more than an inch backwards. After switching on the unit was nicely zipping back to the proper parking location.
The unit was used two weeks before and shut off with standard procedure.
So two weeks hereafter when it was switched on: not a sound, just everything as described above.
In all modesty and most respectfully for more experienced hands, a failure like this, for me, looks like an electric, possibly a partly power supply disorder. To eliminate that possibility I need to get the tray out.
I feel very inept and stupid, but I cannot find a way to get it out. See my first thread above.
Can anybody give me a clear and detailed description of how to do that, step by step, please?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On a side note: I've seen on the net that my specific system error has happened to more people. Sadly there's never a concrete description at the end of these threads that could be invaluable for others in the same predicament. If ( BIG if!!!) I would be so lucky to come out of this triumphant, I will publish with pictures and arrows and fingers precisely what to do . First I have to know how to get the drawer out to get access to the switching power supply and check things there.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 14:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

No expert here. Just your run of the mill LD enthusiast. :P

So apologies if I misunderstood or if this is not helpful.

Turning the above one way will eventually get the DVD tray to open. Turning the other way should get the LD tray to open.

Then press inwards on the two points that I've marked in the pic below. That will release the tray and it will come all the way out.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-909] Help required...!
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 16:56 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

SpyroGyro, You made my day!!! I perused your great photo's and funnily enough I had tried the wheel with the belt, but after a few turns I saw nothing happening! Now, with your help I kept turning much longer and found that in one direction it seems to come to a stop, so I changed to the other direction and sesame (!) after a couple of turns it started to move and had the tray out in a few minutes.
Fantastic, thanks ever so much my dear fellow. Now we can get on with further examinations. :angel:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 17:28 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

O.K. With the tray removed access to the pwr. supply board was easy. Looked perfect in every respect.
So I went through all the voltages of CN202 and CN203. On CN202 #2 I have 13,9V instead of 14, but that does'nt seem alarming. All other voltages are spot on. CN203 12 and 15 marked "RET" show 2,5V.
So, in a way, bad news because now I'm flying rather blind.
When I switch the unit on, you hear the soft click of the relais and nothing else. Display says close and the blue led winks.
Any suggestions as to how to proceed now would be most welcome.
Thanks ever so much,
Rob.

Last edited by sound-on-disc on 13 Apr 2020, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 18:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Have you tried what krbahr suggested?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 19:04 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I have turned the white gear that causes the unit to turn. Turned it from parking position all the way around and back again. ( before I took the tray out!) This had no effect. Had not located/tested local switch for proper on/off function though.
O.K. 1 hour later: Have located the small switch. 3-contact one. Checked in position upper 2 contact made, lower with mid one 12kOhm. Turned the white gear clockwise, unit turns but stops (blocks) when approximately 30 degrees underway. Probably because tray is still out (?). Inthis position the other r contacts make and the center/upper gives 12K. When I leave the reader at this angle and switch the unit on it immediately returns the reader to the original parking position. Repeating this, sometimes you hear a soft motor sort of straining sound like it's turning against friction. Can't locate it. Switch all off and on again and it has stopped.
The thing is that after normal switch-on you hear ( and see, if open) an electro-mechanical behaviour that is the self readiness operation before it says "no disc" on the display. This auto preparation for action is gone (with the wind... Sorry for that!) All voltages on the pwr connectors correct, what prevents the unit to do the start up procedure?

Post subject: Re: [DVL-909] Help required...!  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 17:14 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

After extensive exploration the problem is solved and I'll try and give a description of what has been found etc.
The fault that paralysed the unit was the overshoot in forward direction of the DVD laser carriage. It went all the way forward and rid up against the mechanical end stop whilst practically losing contact between the carriage drive cam and the track. With some effort the carriage was placed back on it's track and moved to halfway back. Switching the unit on again resulted in an awakening but after a few trials the same thing happened again.
Clearly the end switches were disregarded. To do the above ánd to get acces to these switches one must remove the upper part of the loading mechanism (the part fastened by 4 black screws) and some attachments. Then the 2 switches (white nylon) become visible through two holes in the bottom of the chassis. Since getting to the switches would require much more disassembly it's good to notice that they are connected with a flat cable to the CLDM assy, see service manual p.17 LMSB assy Switch S 104 & 105 that connect to the lower horizontal CLDM board CN 102.
If you want to check the (normally open) switches, you can check this with your Ohm meter on the flat cable end at CN102. However, the manual has made a mistake that is essential to be aware of. The flat cable is a 10 contact one.
CN101 on page 40 (that shows the board LMSB assy with the switches) shows 12 contacts (!!!!). This is a mistake copied from an earlier model. CN101 is a 10 contact connector. What's even more complicating things is that they have turned the connector 180 degrees around. This alters the numbering. So what is drawn as 10 is actually 1 and 1 is actually 10! (11&12 do not exist). Then 6 is earth switches to be measured against 7 & 8 (contact switches). If the switches show resistance when pressed in gently one could try and give them a short squirt with a mild contact cleaner via the pressed in button(s). A good clean of the flat cable where you do the measuring is also recommended.
When all this is done it's a good time to look at the condition of the gears of the carriage. If the gear that engages with the worm wheel of the motor is damaged, you might use a warm Stanley knife and try and "remold" it under a magnifier. Many have been saved that way and it's a good thing to do carefully because these gears are no longer available. In my case I was succesful in the remodeling. A further complication was that I found the DC motor had lost 1 of it's 3 windings and was a write-off. I ordered a identical looking and numbered one from Aliexpress only to find that the number is a "case-family" nr. and did not relate to voltage.... It was much too fast, which was a diappointment. Luckily a friend had a earlier LD Pioneer parts unit that held the same motor!
So in the end I was able to replace the remodeled cam ánd the defective motor and all is perfect now.
Hope this gives some support to people with the same symptoms. If you progress with care and use a few pages from the service manual ánd take a few pictures before taking things apart, nothing will go wrong. Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]