It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:56

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What is wrong with this Ebay seller? He refuses to sell me.
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 08:16 
True fan
True fan

He accepted a $57.50 offer on a laserdisc I wanted but then banned me from purchasing the item. What is this sick joke? And why does Ebay allow sellers to even do this? It sucks because I really needed this movie in my collection but when I informed the seller the rarity of the item he blocked me from buying it. The thing is even if the item is rare it doesn't mean it's flying off the shelves since it's clear that I'm the only one watching this laserdisc. Some people think they are holding onto gold with these laserdiscs and this is why there's some laserdiscs that never sell on eBay. It's because they overvalue stuff. Just because something is rare doesn't mean it's sought after. I don't know why he banned me from buying it. He could also have some type of attachment to the laserdisc like his wife or significant other is making him sell off his collection when he doesn't want to. Either way these type of sellers give me a headache and make me depressed. Also, I have not given out their eBay account because I'm trying to find out what the heck is going on and I'm still in the process of trying to get the laserdisc. If I can't get it I might give out this Ebayers name if that's allowed on here so I can warn people about them. However I don't know what the issue is and I'm really depressed right now over this. It's like pulling teeth to buy an item the seller is claiming is for sale and they seemed good with what I offered them so I don't know what the problem is.

Post subject: Re: What is wrong with this Ebay seller? He refuses to sell
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 08:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nearly everything on Gr€€dBay is overvalued. Half the people on it think hoarding old tat will pay for their retirement.

It won't.

In the future, a lot of stuff will end up as photos in history books or museum relics because the new generation has no emotional attachment to the stuff that older generations treasure or feel nostalgic towards.

In the case of media, games, books etc, it is all digital. A throwaway society built on capitalism and materialism.

They just don't, and won't care. People will end up dying with their tat.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 08:46 
True fan
True fan

teddanson wrote:
Nearly everything on Gr€€dBay is overvalued. Half the people on it think hoarding old tat will pay for their retirement.

It won't.

In the future, a lot of stuff will end up as photos in history books or museum relics because the new generation has no emotional attachment to the stuff that older generations treasure or feel nostalgic towards.

In the case of media, games, books etc, it is all digital. A throwaway society built on capitalism and materialism.

They just don't, and won't care. People will end up dying with their tat.

You're right and his eBay account has a ton of overpriced laserdiscs that aren't selling. Stuff I found cheaper on here. A shame the one laserdisc I'm looking for currently isn't on sale here. If he doesn't work with me I'm gonna expose him on here if I'm allowed to so you can even check out how overpriced his laserdiscs are. I don't understand why he had no problems selling to me and then pulled out at the last second and banned me from even being able to buy it. This is insanity.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 09:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jesuslovesgood wrote:
You're right and his eBay account has a ton of overpriced laserdiscs that aren't selling.

Maybe he just sold it somewhere else and didn't want to risk a negative feedback?

Julien

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 09:07 
True fan
True fan

admin wrote:
jesuslovesgood wrote:
You're right and his eBay account has a ton of overpriced laserdiscs that aren't selling.

Maybe he just sold it somewhere else and didn't want to risk a negative feedback?

Julien

No that's not the issue. He got upset at me because I told him I wasn't happy with the price at $57.50 and if he could come down to $56.70. I quickly told him that I would have no problems paying the $57.50 if that's what it took to get the item because he seemed ticked off that I changed prices. I was evaluating the item and the condition it was in and the cover has issues with it being banged up a bit. He is overvaluing it but because of the rarity of it I didn't have a problem with $57.50 even tho I did tell him I felt uncomfortable about the pricing. He shouldn't have just banned me for saying that tho. He's already overcharging for the item and on here what he would be selling it for would be about 40-35 dollar range if that. Actually I bought a similar movie on here for about 40 dollar range and the cover on that one was a lot better. He's asking way too much for the movie but because I know it's uncommon I was willing to go with the original price he was happy with at $57.50 but the next thing I know he's banned me from buying the item. It's a total joke. Do you want me to pm you his eBay account so you can look at all the overpriced laserdiscs he's selling? Since your admin I think there shouldn't be a problem pming you it so you can see how crazy the prices are. I seen laserdiscs on there he is selling for 40-50 bucks that sell for 8-10 dollars on here. He is overpricing his laserdiscs by a lot. It's why he doesn't have many sales.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 09:39 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jesuslovesgood wrote:
He got upset at me because I told him I wasn't happy with the price at $57.50 and if he could come down to $56.70.

Maybe that's the issue?

You agreed on $57.50 and started re-negotiating post-sale.
That's usually a big no. The negotiations should take place before you shake hands.

I might also turn you down if you decide to change the rules after the transaction is already made.
That would only work if you were asking to add more items and get a bundle price.

Julien

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 11:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

For $1.20 was it really worth the hassle of making the offer?

When you were willing to pay $50+ for an LD you really wanted why go to the bother for such a small amount.

Hope you find one, perhaps a bit cheaper & in better condition as well.

Good luck with your hunt.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 15:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
jesuslovesgood wrote:
He got upset at me because I told him I wasn't happy with the price at $57.50 and if he could come down to $56.70.

Maybe that's the issue?

You agreed on $57.50 and started re-negotiating post-sale.
That's usually a big no. The negotiations should take place before you shake hands.

I might also turn you down if you decide to change the rules after the transaction is already made.
That would only work if you were asking to add more items and get a bundle price.

Julien

I've blocked people over smaller things than this. If someone indicates they are likely to be a pain or fussy I just block them and move on. There are too many buyers on eBay to want to deal with the crazy ones.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 16:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

$1.20 does seem to be a fairly pointless quibble especially post-sale (around 2% difference).

Also informing an eBay seller it's rare surely has to be a total red-flag to a bull.....

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 16:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Please give me your ebay name so I can block you too.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 16:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah...you engaged the seller a bit too much I think, spooked him. :)

Whatever the crappy snuff film you want is:

a) it will turn up again, it’s already 25 years old or more, you can wait.

b) don’t even talk to ebay sellers, especially not to haggle the value of something by $1 after you’ve legally agreed to buy it.

If you’re inundating him with communications like this then...yeah, I’d block you too. I have a hard time selling stuff on eBay without losing a ton of money or being driven crazy. Yeah, eBay sellers are scum but the buyers are also scum and also sellers so it’s total s**t show that I can no longer participate in.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 16:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

audioboyz1973 wrote:
$1.20 does seem to be a fairly pointless quibble especially post-sale (around 2% difference).

Also informing an eBay seller it's rare surely has to be a total red-flag to a bull.....

Telling him it’s rare AND asking to lower the price? After the sale? No no no.

Buy the item, get it HOME, THEN, tell the guy how rare the disc is you just bought and then tip him for helping you out.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 17:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
I have a hard time selling stuff on eBay without losing a ton of money or being driven crazy. Yeah, eBay sellers are scum but the buyers are also scum and also sellers so it’s total s**t show that I can no longer participate in.

Exactly why my old wardrobe at mum's place has a set of duplicates and not wanted s just sitting there. Maybe need to explore other options like gumtree before the ebay ownership ruins it

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 18:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you use a lot of we are selling this for our client rather than I'm selling this from my closet it works a little better.

Have something listed now and the guy wants to sell me the schematic to it, I told him we are resellers not collectors and haven't heard from him again.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 20:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

eBay is mostly good. I had someone the other day ask me 20 questions about a used DVD. It plays without error is all that really matters. That was the only weirdness recently, made a bunch of sales w/o any issue. Almost nowhere else can you sell many items and get the same amount of money even factoring in fees. I try posting things on multiple sites for less money and get next to zero real interest. 99%+ ends up on eBay.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 21:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've never had any problems buying on ebay. The worst I've come across is people who are set to accept offers but then respond to all your offers by knocking out mere pennies of the BiN price.

PostPosted: 01 May 2020, 01:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I do buy & sell on ebay & there are usually no issues but there are the occasional exceptions.

If a buyer came back to me with a haggle like that after a sale I do think my alarm bells would be ringing too.

Ebay does get slated quite a bit here sometimes but rarely have I had any real issues, it is not ideal though.

Is someone building up to something here or am I way off the mark?

PostPosted: 01 May 2020, 02:19 
Site Admin
Site Admin

takeshi666 wrote:
I've never had any problems buying on ebay.

I mostly had good experiences with buying eBay as well, but I also always make a quick background check on the sellers to see where I'm stepping into.

Few issues I had with sellers were:

• Receiving a LD broken/damaged because the packing was... a layer of paper. Not even a pizza box!
  • Receiving a broken CD case, seller said it got broken in transit... only that the broken plastic parts were missing and they were stains on the parts where the plastic was missing. Clearly it was like that before shipping even though the pic on the auction was mint.
  • Selling a piece of H/W "fully tested" that didn't work because the full test was just to make sure the Power LED went on when pushing the power switch... It was a Lexicon AC3RF demodulator shipped from USA to Canada, had to ship it back and the seller even got suspicious I was sending him a different unit but the serial number was of course the same!
  • Seller listing a HDDVD but shipping the DVD. "It's the same thing! It's a DVD, only better!". I think he realized that putting "HD" in the description was getting higher bids.
  • Seller listing a LD or CD as DTS just because it seemed that when adding "DTS" to the description, the prices went higher... but really having the standard LD/CD in their hands.

Main issue I had with eBay:

A long time ago they purchased a CD database based on their UPC/barcode. Want to sell a CD on eBay? Input the UPC and ... shazam, all technical/contents information are automatically filled up and you're good to go.

Sounds good, right? Well, only if the Database is accurate. Ended up buying a DTS CD 3 times in a row (and asking the seller to confirm it was the DTS version on #2 and #3) just to receive the standard CD and complaining to the seller who said "it's exactly the UPC on the CD that I used with eBay, I sent you what you ordered. I made no mistake".

Of course eBay would never respond to my claim that the item was not the one I ordered but that it was their fault.

Julien

PostPosted: 01 May 2020, 04:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've had a lot of cases of wrong or damaged items. The more you order the more it will happen. I think the only time I didn't get any money back was many years ago with a PS3. I ended up getting it fixed for $20 so I didn't care too much.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2021, 11:09 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So let me get the story straight.....

1. you tell the seller how rare the item is before buying it for some reason (maybe to rub in their face they are letting something rare go for cheap and you feel entitled?)

2. you submit an offer for one price, then to screw around with the seller after agreeing to the price that you accepted (you have to click "COMMIT TO BUY" button before even going to the payment stage from an offer)

3. start complaining about lowering the price by 80 cents. 80 CENTS!

I would block you too.

Also so what if the seller's laserdiscs are overpriced? Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy them. Move on.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next