It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:06

Page 11 of 44 [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 21:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

teddanson wrote:

Also, check out the label. Notice underneath there is a barcode? I can't read all the digits so don't know what is under there. Anyone seen that on promos before? Is it maybe the final center art with a yellow promo label stuck on top of it to prevent resale?

The Exterminator copy you have is an early PDO Blackburn copy & the early pressings did not have the inner & outer dashes on the disc & most (all?) had a small barcoded label under the disc label. Pretty sure the label in your picture is the one that was applied to all from that run but yours is of interest being SAMPLE stamped.

There is a thread on here that covers the early pressed PDO discs that may be of interest.

Enjoy your new LDs :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 22:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks je280 that is good information to know. I just need to check if the print used is the optically censored one now.

I gave the two DTS discs a try. Gate To The Mind's Eye is fantastic but let down a little by needing to have the volume cranked a bit. Street Fighter though is superb. Full-on, plums out audio!

The Exterminator seems fine,no rot issues so far. It is PAL and has analog audio. Pleased my 925 can play all of those things with no issues. The audio is actually superb, booming even. Maybe I am looking for differences but I swear the Hooker sequence has a different soundtrack in this version. I will need to compare. It looks like it is from a theatrical reel too? The opening distributor ident belongs on Grindhouse!

This is the stuff I live for! Oh how I wish I could have risked my life visiting the rows of (probably vomit and semen-soaked) theatres in the New York of the 70's and 80's.

A triple bill of US and Italian schlock and police thrillers followed by a trip over to Shea Stadium to watch my beloved Mets break my heart and stress levels on a cool Summer's evening. Bliss! :cry:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 05:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Thomas Dolby's Gate To The Mind's Eye.

That will sit nicely with my Virtual Drug Laserdiscs!

I know exactly who you bought that from, and now I have to rush and buy the last copy because I realize I can't just sit on it in my wishlist forever!

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 07:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yes, I should have said I purchased the DTS discs and The Exterminator here on LLDB and the quality and service was superb. Very pleased!

Indeed The Gate To The Mind's Eye is a must have! Just keep in mind that the audio level seems a little weedy, at least it seemed to be to me when compared to Street Fighter, which made me soil myself at the DTS logo. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 09:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Do.you have Street Fighter Signature to compare video quality to DTS release?
Just curious if video was improved as i remember picture was very soft on my [42404] copy
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 09:31 
True fan
True fan

jakeheke wrote:
Do.you have Street Fighter Signature to compare video quality to DTS release?
Just curious if video was improved as i remember picture was very soft on my [42404] copy

The signature collection was pressed by Pioneer USA in 1995 whereas the DTS was pressed by Kuraray in 1998. Unless anyone has evidence that Kuraray borrowed a 3 year old master from Pioneer for pressing, I'm willing to bet the DTS version is a newer transfer and the definitive release on LD.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 09:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Would be interested, not sure if soft is the right word how i describe it.
Maybe 'washed out' is better .
Its not terrible at all but noticeable on my copy , the CAV side is slightly better.
iScan DUO Processor

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 11:48 
True fan
True fan

I've got the pan and scan copy of Street Fighter somewhere. I wonder how that holds up. :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 12:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A few more discs arrived today. Bit gutted though as one of them is cracked.

First up is Mousercise. I really wanted this one for my obscura collection. The seller never mentioned, or maybe it got damaged in transit, that it is cracked.

The disc has one main side and another is blank. The top side you first see has a microscopic crack.right at the edge. The flip side has a longer crack. The cracks don't look like they go right the way through but after what happened to me recently I don't dare play it. Really disappointed.

The seller threw in (literally) a copy of Kiddisc for free. It's in worse shape than the copy I already own. They also seemed to have forgotten about a copy of The Nightmare Before Christmas slipped in the same sleeve. It looks like it was found in a puddle.

Next, and thankfully in good condition is Earthquake starring NRA superfan Charlton b*****d. This disc apparently has the original Sensurround track on it. Looking forward to testing it out!

Finally, a Criterion version of Singin' In The Rain. Never seen the film so bought it on impulse. I won't be watching it any time soon either as I just realised I bought the wrong version.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 12:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Charlton b*****d.

Sorry for your loss on the Mousercise disc but respect lost. Charlton Heston was no b*****d. He was a great dude.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 17:24 
True fan
True fan

Shame about the crack, Ted. At least it wasnt one of your DTS discs.

I too am a fan of Charlton Heston. One could cite his more famous roles like Ben hurr or Planet of the apes, or some of his more obscure roles and cameos. Hes great in all of them. Do you remember the good actor scene in Wayne's World 2? Or when he told Joey on friends he couldnt use his shower. Even when he was taking the p**s he brought weight and gravitas to the role.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 23:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
Earthquake starring NRA superfan Charlton b*****d.

Just shows how smart you are, nice stuff.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 04:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Let's be totally fair here, the NRA of the time when Heston delivered his "cold dead hands" speech is quite different from the NRA of today.

teddanson wrote:
Indeed The Gate To The Mind's Eye is a must have! Just keep in mind that the audio level seems a little weedy, at least it seemed to be to me when compared to Street Fighter, which made me soil myself at the DTS logo. :thumbup:

I don't even have a home theater amp to decode DTS, much less a player with a digital out. But the DTS release is supposed to have a better transfer than the earlier, non-DTS release so I saw no reason to not pick it up instead.

It's also a rather unique release in the sense that it's the only disc in the database listed as both DTS and CAV.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 08:56 
True fan
True fan

One of four new DTS discs that I ordered has arrived! I'm willing to bet this one will blow the foundations of the house!

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 16:39 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Picked up these Robocop films.

There's a glue type substance on both sides of the Robocop I disc. Sometimes I get discs which have sticky edges but this is the first time I've seen this sticky substance over the disc surface. What is a good way to clean it off without potentially doing damage to the disc.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 18:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol.
Don't get it on the label and don't slop it all over just on a soft clean cloth.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 09:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Those Robocop covers look great! Very frame worthy, awesome stuff.
iScan DUO Processor

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 09:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Let's be totally fair here, the NRA of the time when Heston delivered his "cold dead hands" speech is quite different from the NRA of today.

It's still an organisation for responsible gun owners. Last I checked NRA members stopped a heck of a lot more murders than they committed (almost zero).

It's those untrained, unlicensed people who go on killing sprees or commit gang/cop murders.

Concealed carry is a right I am jealous of in my nanny state. All you have to do in a dark carpark while approaching your car is say to the guy shadowing you "I'm carrying" and the situation is difused. You don't even have to draw. Guy goes away. WIN WIN. In Australia I have to use my bare hands to beat down the guy and then I'll probably be accused of assault, or if he gets the upper hand I'll just be dead. LOSE LOSE

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 14:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:

Concealed carry is a right I am jealous of in my nanny state. All you have to do in a dark carpark while approaching your car is say to the guy shadowing you "I'm carrying" and the situation is difused. You don't even have to draw. Guy goes away. WIN WIN. In Australia I have to use my bare hands to beat down the guy and then I'll probably be accused of assault, or if he gets the upper hand I'll just be dead. LOSE LOSE

You're thinking "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Now, to tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement. But being this is a 44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and it will blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?

Everyone with guns, that solves everything. :roll:

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 15:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

odotb3 wrote:
One of four new DTS discs that I ordered has arrived! I'm willing to bet this one will blow the foundations of the house!

Interested to read what you thought of the Armageddon DTS disc. What were the other 3 you bought?

I played Earthquake the other day to see what the Sensurround track was like. I don't think my subwoofer can go as low as 30hz but it isn't too far off. I cranked the subwoofer and the volume all the way up. Slipped in Side 2 on the first disc. Skipped to the chapter entitled 'The Big One' and waited...

https://www.theaa.com/home-insurance/advice/sinkholes

:problem:

Page 11 of 44 [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 44  Next