It is currently 25 Sep 2021, 16:49




 Page 12 of 34 [ 670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 34  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 18:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1739
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 271 times
forper wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
Let's be totally fair here, the NRA of the time when Heston delivered his "cold dead hands" speech is quite different from the NRA of today.



It's still an organisation for responsible gun owners.

It's just an extension of the gun lobby these days. They don't give a s**t about gun owners, they just want some of that sweet lobbyist cash.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 13:49 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jul 2014, 20:59
Posts: 298
Location: North London
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 94 times
teddanson wrote:
odotb3 wrote:
One of four new DTS discs that I ordered has arrived! I'm willing to bet this one will blow the foundations of the house!


Interested to read what you thought of the Armageddon DTS disc. What were the other 3 you bought?

I played Earthquake the other day to see what the Sensurround track was like. I don't think my subwoofer can go as low as 30hz but it isn't too far off. I cranked the subwoofer and the volume all the way up. Slipped in Side 2 on the first disc. Skipped to the chapter entitled 'The Big One' and waited...

https://www.theaa.com/home-insurance/advice/sinkholes

:problem:


Havent watched it yet, Ted. I wont be waiting too long though. Will report back once I do.

Now, now that would be telling! You'll have to wait and see when they arrive. :P

Glad to hear about the Earthquake disc. Remember reading about the Sensurround track and I still really want to try it out.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 14:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 14:21
Posts: 1120
Location: New Delaware
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 320 times
The Sensurround track is great fun. The big quake is quite something. The coffee table was rattling hard and my sub only goes down to around 50hz!

I'd love to see what one of the folks on LDDB with a real, proper, juicy sound and video rig (with a 30hz capable or better subwoofer) would be able to squeeze out of it, the rumble in my gaf was bowel-shattering even on my little Yamaha YSP-2700 setup! Halfway through the quake scene I looked out the window of my gaf and there's helicopters outside, airlifting the neighbours to hospital. Houses collapsed and in flames. People being stretchered off in to waiting ambulances from the rubble of collapsed recycling bins. Police sirens blaring etc...

Now to find my Rollercoaster Blu Ray with the Sensurround track on it. :D

Here's a fillum on YouTube where they screened a 70mm print of Earthquake in full, proper, juicy Sensurround:

_________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 18:35 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2019, 18:26
Posts: 337
Location: UK
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 115 times
Feel free to send or bring it on a trip over here to Manchester for an evaluation if you wish Ted :D

Seriously though, this sounds like a purchase I too should be considering soon! What's the verdict on PQ?
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X9/CLD-925/CLD-2950
Sony MSC4000
Sony VPL VW500ES
Lumagen Radiance 2144
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 19:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 14:21
Posts: 1120
Location: New Delaware
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 320 times
Your rig would be a great candidate to test it on! I'd happily send my copy over to you if you want to stretch your sound systems legs but I guess it would cost more to post there and back than to just pick up a copy from eBay, even from the USA with added 'heartbreak tax'.

Make sure you get the same one I did. It doesn't mention Sensurround at all on the sleeve, but it does say at the very end of the sleeve notes to make sure you turn every piece of equipment you own up to maximum volume and prepare yourself!

What kind of subwoofers do you have in your rig? Do they go to 30hz or below? Have you got more than one sub, e.g. 7.2.2 etc?

Regarding PQ, it looks great and is in the right AR too afaik. The sound is a tiny bit weedy, maybe that is the whole Sensurround thing, so you do need to crank it up a little bit more than most other discs. That said, you will be watching it with absolutely everything maxed out so you should be fine! Let us know how you get on, I'll look out for the local news headline:

"POLICE BOWEL-WILDERED AFTER MAN CRAPS PANTS IN HIS GAF WHILE WATCHING NOISY OLD FLICK."

:lol:

By the way, in the YouTube video above, skip to 7mins 4seconds to see the Sensurround in action. It nearly took out the bar glasses and rumbled the chandeliers in the cinema lobby!
_________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 21:56 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2019, 18:26
Posts: 337
Location: UK
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 115 times
teddanson wrote:
Your rig would be a great candidate to test it on! I'd happily send my copy over to you if you want to stretch your sound systems legs but I guess it would cost more to post there and back than to just pick up a copy from eBay, even from the USA with added 'heartbreak tax'.

Make sure you get the same one I did. It doesn't mention Sensurround at all on the sleeve, but it does say at the very end of the sleeve notes to make sure you turn every piece of equipment you own up to maximum volume and prepare yourself!

What kind of subwoofers do you have in your rig? Do they go to 30hz or below? Have you got more than one sub, e.g. 7.2.2 etc?

Regarding PQ, it looks great and is in the right AR too afaik. The sound is a tiny bit weedy, maybe that is the whole Sensurround thing, so you do need to crank it up a little bit more than most other discs. That said, you will be watching it with absolutely everything maxed out so you should be fine! Let us know how you get on, I'll look out for the local news headline:

"POLICE BOWEL-WILDERED AFTER MAN CRAPS PANTS IN HIS GAF WHILE WATCHING NOISY OLD FLICK."

:lol:

By the way, in the YouTube video above, skip to 7mins 4seconds to see the Sensurround in action. It nearly took out the bar glasses and rumbled the chandeliers in the cinema lobby!


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting clip btw. Looks like there are plenty up for grabs on eBay currently, not yet checked LDDB shops for any.

Had numerous subs over the years such as REL Stadium 2, Monitor Audio Gold GXW-15 to name two, but the best performing (and cheapest) by far is what I currently run, that being a BK Monolith Plus. Manufacturer claims it goes down to a genuine 15hz, brand new these beasts sell for just a third of the price that MA ask for the Gold offering above and absolutely trounce it in every department except perhaps cosmetically. BK Electronics used to manufacture the original and (arguably) best REL subwoofers ever produced and the Monolith Plus shares plenty in common with the former range topping and highly respected REL Studio, I've toyed with the idea of running a pair of these but trust me just one is more than capable of doing the job in my opinion at least!

Anyway I'll definitely report back when I've sourced a copy of Earthquake Ted :thumbup:
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X9/CLD-925/CLD-2950
Sony MSC4000
Sony VPL VW500ES
Lumagen Radiance 2144
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 22:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 14:21
Posts: 1120
Location: New Delaware
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 320 times
So to get proper Sensurround in your gaf you're gonna need to buy about another 60 subwoofers then! :D

This is the version of Earthquake you want, though nearly all the copies are going to come with heartbreak tax as they're US-based sellers.

Earthquake (1974) [42072]

Make sure to report back, and make sure to just play it all at maximum volume!
_________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 22:18 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2019, 18:26
Posts: 337
Location: UK
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 115 times
Absolutely :thumbup:
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X9/CLD-925/CLD-2950
Sony MSC4000
Sony VPL VW500ES
Lumagen Radiance 2144
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2020, 19:58 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2016, 16:42
Posts: 372
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 62 times
New arrival from Japan. Because of the flu it was a very slow year when it comes to LD collecting and packages from Japan also take much longer to arrive.


Attachments:
IMG_E5302.JPG
IMG_E5302.JPG [ 440.1 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]
_________________
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqIv0_dV3_pjvruObJcukOw
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2020, 19:59 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2016, 16:42
Posts: 372
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 62 times
Finally a Squeeze disc is back in my collection.


Attachments:
IHYM1068.JPG
IHYM1068.JPG [ 450.81 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]
_________________
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqIv0_dV3_pjvruObJcukOw
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2020, 20:21 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity
User avatar

Joined: 07 Jul 2020, 22:28
Posts: 18
Location: United States
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 2 times
therussian wrote:
Finally a Squeeze disc is back in my collection.


You have to have a special player for that one? (Toshiba, I want to say?)

Or is it simply a matter of adjusting your picture?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2020, 20:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 1739
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 271 times
noehat wrote:
Or is it simply a matter of adjusting your picture?

As I understand it, yes.

I'm guessing the only thing a player would do is add the black bars to the picture for viewing on a 4:3 television. Apparently my player would support such a feature, but I've got neither squeeze discs or the correct remote to activate it. :silent:

Unfortunately the Japanese Showgirls is optically censored...
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2020, 21:09 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2016, 16:42
Posts: 372
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 62 times
noehat wrote:
therussian wrote:
Finally a Squeeze disc is back in my collection.


You have to have a special player for that one? (Toshiba, I want to say?)

Or is it simply a matter of adjusting your picture?


Nope for Squeeze you don’t need a special player, just adjusting the image.
Or if your TV already stretches Laserdiscs to 16:9 you don’t have to change anything.
_________________
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqIv0_dV3_pjvruObJcukOw
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 02:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 2046
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 220 times
therussian wrote:
New arrival from Japan. Because of the flu it was a very slow year when it comes to LD collecting and packages from Japan also take much longer to arrive.


NIICE!! No airbrushed out panties 8-)
_________________
SONY MDP-355GX, DVDO iscan VP50, SONY KVHR-M36
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 08:49 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2016, 16:42
Posts: 372
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 62 times
Holy crap I actually never looked a a DVD of this movie, bun indeed they are photoshopped out.
What a joke.


Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg [ 308.38 KiB | Viewed 1018 times ]
_________________
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqIv0_dV3_pjvruObJcukOw
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 12:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 03 Aug 2013, 17:32
Posts: 1469
Location: OREGON, U.S.
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 100 times
"Social Responsibility" in Action...
_________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 22:06 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jul 2014, 20:59
Posts: 298
Location: North London
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 94 times
DTS disc two of four has arrived. I know this film can be divisive. A lot of people herald it as one of the greatest films of contemporary cinema. Some people think its overrated and too violent. I personally love this movie. The film has an all star cast from the likes of Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis, Christopher Walken, John Travolta, Sam Jackson and so on. All the performances are great and the film is entertaining from start to finish. The pop soundtrack is also really good in this film and I'm excited to experience it in DTS.

Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 22:18 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2019, 18:26
Posts: 337
Location: UK
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 115 times
teddanson wrote:
So to get proper Sensurround in your gaf you're gonna need to buy about another 60 subwoofers then! :D

This is the version of Earthquake you want, though nearly all the copies are going to come with heartbreak tax as they're US-based sellers.

Earthquake (1974) [42072]

Make sure to report back, and make sure to just play it all at maximum volume!


Just ordered my copy.....I think there's a whole lotta shakin about to go on!

(And if it's as good as you say Ted several aftershocks too) :thumbup:
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X9/CLD-925/CLD-2950
Sony MSC4000
Sony VPL VW500ES
Lumagen Radiance 2144
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 22:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 10:23
Posts: 1623
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 63 times
odotb3: Great purchase! Also, one thing I didn't realize until I saw it on the big screen about a year ago...

The Wolf is the Shepherd. Jules and Vincent are the weak. San Fernando Valley is the Valley of Darkness. Jimmy is the brother who is promised his keeper. And Marvin is the lost child.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 22:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2018, 14:21
Posts: 1120
Location: New Delaware
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 320 times
laserfanhld-gb wrote:
teddanson wrote:
So to get proper Sensurround in your gaf you're gonna need to buy about another 60 subwoofers then! :D

This is the version of Earthquake you want, though nearly all the copies are going to come with heartbreak tax as they're US-based sellers.

Earthquake (1974) [42072]

Make sure to report back, and make sure to just play it all at maximum volume!


Just ordered my copy.....I think there's a whole lotta shakin about to go on!

(And if it's as good as you say Ted several aftershocks too) :thumbup:


Hah! Well if anyone has a rig that could get the best out of that Sensurround track, my guess is you? Post up the results if possible.

Re: Pulp Fiction. Whopper film. One of the true greats. So quotable too. Can anyone confirm though if they put mayonaisse on French fries in Amsterdam?

Also, what do they call a Whopper in Paris?
_________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 12 of 34 [ 670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 34  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: