It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:21

Page 17 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 11:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

therussian wrote:
A lovely near mint Akira has landed.

Nice one :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 17:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just received in the mail Wanna-Be's (1986) [90LS 4002]

Will have to add the pic, nice insert too.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 18:46 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

rein-o wrote:

is that the wrestling one?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 19:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

xtempo wrote:
rein-o wrote:

is that the wrestling one?

Yeah. look forward to watching it.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2020, 16:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just received Memories [BEAL-926].
I got it for 50€ delivered (I think the most I paid for a title yet) and it was sent from within France, so cheap delivery and only 2 days waiting.

Haven't got the time to watch it yet but will probably do this week-end, the boxset itself is really gorgeous, the sleeves and artworks are beautiful and the black velvet is a feast for the eyes and touch, the cover present on LDDB can't really give it justice imo, I guess it's one of those thing you gotta see for yourself.

Anyway, I'm quite excited to discover those OVAs.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2020, 16:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Its one of the best, the transfer is amazing and again one of the best, but I decided to sell the LD and buy the DVD of Memories long ago.
that's the memory I have of memories.....

For some reason I still think Cannon Fodder is one of the best things I've ever seen.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2020, 12:53 
True fan
True fan

Japan post is lightning fast again. Was shipped this Wednesday and arrived yesterday ( Saturday ).

Attachments:
IMG_E5668.JPG
IMG_E5668.JPG [ 251.11 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2020, 16:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
Its one of the best, the transfer is amazing and again one of the best, but I decided to sell the LD and buy the DVD of Memories long ago.
that's the memory I have of memories.....

For some reason I still think Cannon Fodder is one of the best things I've ever seen.

I mainly watch Magnetic Rose. I really appreciate how each section has it’s own disc. This is one of the greatest LDs although the transfer job of Cannon Fodder looks really bad to me whenever I watch this movie. If that was my favorite part I’d probably search for a HD version. Packaging is top ten in the history of LD.

I paid...virtually nothing for disc. The halcyon days of like...eight years ago, when you could by %75 of all the anime ever released in Japan for $2 a disc or even less. “Surely I didn’t just buy the Gundam Master Grade Box for $5.60...” and then it arrives in perfect shape and eventually you realize it’s not a dream, the market had become that depressed. It’s not quite like that currently.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2020, 18:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I only have the DVD now and need to watch it again.
waiting for my anime haul from Japan, its totally my last and yes those buck days are long gone.
Was going through my anime lds and looking at some of the stuff I paid pennies for from one of the sites that I can't remember now and would
sell directly to the USA for 5 bucks or so a disc and you paid a reasonable amount for shipping.
could enjoy some great anime box sets cheaper than now.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 19:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Another addition to my eclectic collection. This one seemed somewhat difficult to track down.

Music & Lights: Imagination In Concert.

Filmed at the Dominion Theatre, London in June 1982. This is a live concert disc with some backstage stuff and a staged intro sequence.

Not really a band I am in to that much, I just wanted this mainly for the live version of their hit song Body Talk, which is excellent on this disc, the performance is ace. You would almost certainly know the song when you heard it.

I was looking in to their history and found they literally skyrocketed to fame with 4 platinum, 9 gold and over a dozen silver discs within 3 years. I think they earned multiple platinum albums within their first 18 months together. Some achievement!

One problem, this LD disc was manufactured by those utter WAZZOCKS at PDO UK. Basically it's like a glorious cloud of cloudiness that even an ant with severe cataracts would gasp in sheer shock and revulsion at.

Miraculously the.disc plays back perfectly. I wouldn't call the disc itself 'Very Good' condition wise. I've half a mind to send it back for a refund as the disc wasn't overly cheap. It's pretty rare though so while it plays nicely I guess I should capture it quickly and keep it safe somewhere.

One last thing to point out, the disc was released in 1983 yet carries a BBFC U certificate. How is that possible if the VRA didn't come along until 1984?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 21:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I had a copy of that disc pass through my hands years ago, pretty sure there was no "U" cert label applied.

Is it not a sticker? Perhaps applied by someone from another disc for whatever reason. I knew a seller who used to do silly things like that - swap inserts around - swap stickers around - apply random stickers & he thought it was a way of making a disc "rare" & I am not kidding.

BTW the copy that I had years ago played well with on issues as far as I remember.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 21:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nope. Just double checked. The U certificate is 100% part of the sleeve design and not a sticker.

No BBFC marks anywhere else on the front or back of the sleeve. Quite bizarre!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 23:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks, my memory must be going!.... just cannot remember it with a cert marking but the copy I had must have been around 12 or more years ago.

Is it copyrighted as 1983? The release date on here may not be 100% accurate. I have tried to find the exact release date for the disc but without success, perhaps someone else can supply the correct info.

Strange though as sport, religious, educational & music videos were exempt with some carrying an "E" exempt notice on them while others did not.

Thanks for the info :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 23:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yep. Definitely marked as 1983 on the bottom of the sleeve. The concert was filmed in June 1982.

I had a look in to BBFC history and there were certificates used between 1982 and 1985 that include the U certificate on this disc. Same design too. However they were for cinema use only (until 1984).

I guess it's possible this is a very late 1983 release with a voluntary certificate placed on it ready for 1984 to save a sleeve redesign? This happened often with skin flicks and DPP horror titles to try and fool police in to thinking the BBFC had classified them.

There is no record of the concert in the BBFC database so I would assume it was never submitted for classification?

This appears on my disc too:

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 01:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Interesting stuff teddanson & thanks for the clip.

Your summation on the "U" certificate on the cover may be spot-on, it was pretty crazy some of the nonsense that went on back then with the home video market.

Again thanks :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 09:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I did a little more digging around the concert and found a number of set lists from the 1982 Music & Lights tour. It throws the whole June 1982 theory in to doubt because according to this set list information, Imagination didn't play the Dominion Theatre until October 1982!

Aren't concert discs usually thrown together fairly quickly to maximise sales off of the back of a tour or album currently being promoted? In which case it adds weight to the 1983 release date, but not the U certificate self-certification. :crazy:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/imaginat ... 5d195.html

This is the 1982 Music & Lights complete tour dates:

• Toppop Studios, Hilversum - Apr 20, 1982
  • Eolo d'oro 1982 - Jul 23, 1982
  • Pesaro Musica Estate 1982 - Aug 10, 1982
  • Gaumont Theatre, Ipswich - Sep 11, 1982
  • Dominion Theatre, London - Oct 2, 1982
  • Hammersmith Odeon, London - Dec 26, 1982
  • Azzurro 1983 - May 8, 1983
  • DISCORING 1983 - Oct 23, 1983
  • Apollo Theatre, Glasgow - Dec 4, 1983

I can't verify if the last two dates in 1983 are part of the same tour so maybe discount those. With that said, if the Music & Lights tour finished up in May 1983, and the concert on Laserdisc was filmed in October 1982 (with plenty of time to edit and prepare the disc), that would likely put the Laserdisc release date anywhere between May and December of 1983?

The VRA was brought to Parliament in 1983 by MP Graham Bright (see below link), but not enacted until September 1984. Making the Laserdisc in question a bit premature for voluntary self-certification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nas ... ic_concern

EDIT: AAAARRRGGHHH!!! So with a bit more checking, it seems that the concert on the Laserdisc is highly likely to have been recorded in October 1982 (despite my being unable to unearth actual evidence of the June 1982 tour date(s)) as I've now found this on Amazon Canada. A framed UK magazine advert of the Dominion Theatre tour dates from...............OCTOBER 1982!!! :crazy:

It would appear the venue dates all sold out that they added an extra show on October 2nd 1982!

https://www.amazon.ca/Imagination-Domin ... B01IUE6WA4

I'm trying to think of where that gig may have been advertised so I can search archives to confirm it. NME or the Evening Standard perhaps? Can anyone else think of any local rags that may have advertised gigs in London around 1982 that may have archives online?

It's a bit of a head melter isn't it!? :crazy: :lol:

EDIT 2: I found a good archive of UK music magazines. I've not unearthed any more info on the 1982 dates but I did find this great interview piece where the band mention they worked with..... Shakatak!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/three-imaginary-boys/5049

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 21:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I won't have these for a few months as I have a bit of a haul of stuff in an order from Japan already and will have to now ship this stuff by sea.

Posting the link below because if I don't do it now it's likely nobody will ever believe me. Yahoo auction listings seem to.disappear fairly quick once they end. :oops:

I just picked up 21 assorted Driver's Eyes F1, Rally and misc Laserdiscs...........

........for 1 Yen.

I didn't think the seller would honour the auction. There were 5 other people watching it. But anyway, I won. So yay. :lol:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c851316013

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 23:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

WOW.... what a great lot to bag & for 1 yen!!!

I love the F1 / rally / bike / motorsport LDs & I am ashamed to say I am rather envious here.

There are a couple or three I have not seen before & pretty sure they are not on the site here - would you please update them when you get the time to do so?

Enjoy spinning them when they arrive.

1 yen.... :clap:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2020, 10:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks a mil, I couldn't believe the seller let them go for ¥1 (or €0.007 :lol: ) but it's all paid for now and the domestic shipping was super cheap too. Can't complain!

It was seeing mention of them on LDDB that piqued my interest in the F1 discs. I love the wild Group B rally cars of the 1980's too. I am hoping to see wild Peugeots, Lancia's and the Tyrell and March 6 wheeler cars!

I will make sure to add any missing titles to LDDB. :thumbup:

EDIT: Just noticed there is a Targa Florio disc in the pile! I found one on YouTube from 1973. Check out the image quality for 1973, it's incredible!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2020, 03:51 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

The last one that I bought that was not part of a lot, was 12 Monkeys! It was such a freaky movie! I don't have a player (I have a friend that does) but I have purchased a few titles for the sheer novelty and nostalgia. I find obscure formats interesting!

Page 17 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 44  Next