It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Purchasing a new tv
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2020, 02:47 
Just wondering if anyone had any good picks for a television.
I'm wanting to go either 4k or LCD.

The player I'm using is a CLD-s201 model. Yes I know it's on the lower end but I got it for cheap and it came with a warranty. I'm looking for just a straight up plug in and playTV. I may get an AV receiver and a better player but this is what I'm working with now.

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Purchasing a new tv
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2020, 03:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think all 4K TVs are LCD...or else OLED I guess...

Anyway, my recommendation is Sony Bravia. The 4K one I have from 2017 does an amazing job with LD, composite straight in.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2020, 01:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Whatever TV you get make sure you can return it if LD looks bad, you should be able to get a nice image, or as nice of an image as you can with an old vs new
technology.

I remember the TV I bought years ago worked out and I didn't need to return it.
Make sure you play with the controls, if you get a good LD image from your TV right away you are very very lucky.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2020, 18:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If they still make them, find a 4K TV that has composite inputs for your LD player and any other legacy video that you want to connect.

I believe the Sony BRAVIA TVs that signofzeta mentions still have them. Or maybe the higher end ones do, but it's worth the extra if you ask me.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2020, 20:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I personally have yet to see any US sold TV without composite inputs. People say it’s an issue all the time but so far I’ve always managed to find the things. They hide them *really* well, along with all ports and buttons. Modern TV design baffles me...

When I got the 4K Bravia I though it might be the one (2017) but in fact they simply hide the composite in with the luma and then hide all three component lines in a 1/8 micro jack that faces downward in a recessed area at the back of the TV. Hidden like plans for a hyperspace bypass or something, ridiculous. There’s no mention of it on the box and there’s no real manual either so you won’t run across it mentioned there.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2020, 10:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Im in the early stages of purchasing a TV for a room, i was in a local tv store and asked the sales person about composite and s-video he 'chuckled' and said its all digital now son. Last tv purchases was 3 years ago LG and sony still had those inputs..
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2020, 11:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I use a 2018 4K Philips Ambilight LED. The picture is sensational and the Ambilight really does add a sense of immersion to what is being displayed on the panel. I presently run a CLD-D925 directly to the TV composite inputs (it's actually component but you hook up the video cable to one port and the audio to the phono ports). The picture is superb, probably the TV has a decent comb filter in it? No idea, it just looks excellent to my eyes. I used to run a Framemeister in the chain too but that's gone now, the direct TV connection is really that good.

Brands I'd recommend (having had them in the past) are Philips, LG and maybe Samsung or Sony. If you are on a budget or want a bit more bang for your buck you can't go wrong with a Hisense TV either. Great value for money.

I'd avoid those TV's with Roku built in to them, they're a privacy nightmare.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2020, 11:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jakeheke wrote:
Im in the early stages of purchasing a TV for a room, i was in a local tv store and asked the sales person about composite and s-video he 'chuckled' and said its all digital now son. Last tv purchases was 3 years ago LG and sony still had those inputs..

S-video should be long gone but as signofzeta said a lot of tv's should still have the tiny little combo jack that looks like a small headphone socket (but it isn't audio at all). If the tv doesn't come with an adapter cable (to component female) you can get dirt cheap ones from China or wherever.

That's for 1080p anyway. 4k I wouldn't know, I haven't seriously considered one yet as the dirt cheap ones still aren't good enough imo.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2020, 16:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My Sony 4K Bravia from 2017 for sure has a composite input and LD looks amazing on it.

I just checked Sony’s site and the new models also have it. They all still have RF, composite, component.

I haven’t seen anything with s-video in a long time.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2020, 16:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

jakeheke wrote:

Maybe things are different down under but you really should talk to salesmen as little as possible, especially ones that call you “son”. It’s possible that’s he’s right and that the NZ market no longer sells any TVs with SD inputs on them but...probably not.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2020, 16:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'd be very surprised if the NZ market was much different to Australia. They should be getting the same tvs as us, unless the tuners need to be different? idk

Anyway; AS/NZS 3112.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2020, 23:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, I don’t think there are a ton of NZ-only devices imported into the country. :)

What I meant was that sometimes depending on region things get dumb. Lots of European cars no longer have analog radios in them anymore, I’m told, which means if you live in the mountains you just don’t get radio at all. Here in the US FM is still going like digital radio never even happened...

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 02:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
What I meant was that sometimes depending on region things get dumb. Lots of European cars no longer have analog radios in them anymore, I’m told, which means if you live in the mountains you just don’t get radio at all. Here in the US FM is still going like digital radio never even happened...

First I've heard of this. Sure you don't mean AM vs FM? Because AM radio is pretty much dead in Europe, but apparently it's still used a lot in the US?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 03:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That may have been the topic. For sure AM is still used here, mainly for sports and hate crimes. It’s very uncommon to use for music since FM can potentially sound massively better.

I’d say most Americans never even browse the AM dial, mainly just racist uncles and potentially those interested in local church broadcasts but even most of the religious programming is on FM now too. I’m a DJ for a zero budget student radio station at UofM and even we have been FM since the mid 70s (although very low powered, even now only 1400W, and that’s after an upgrade from 200W a few years ago).

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 04:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
That may have been the topic. For sure AM is still used here, mainly for sports and hate crimes. It’s very uncommon to use for music since FM can potentially sound massively better.

I’d say most Americans never even browse the AM dial, mainly just racist uncles and potentially those interested in local church broadcasts but even most of the religious programming is on FM now too. I’m a DJ for a zero budget student radio station at UofM and even we have been FM since the mid 70s (although very low powered, even now only 1400W, and that’s after an upgrade from 200W a few years ago).

Damn, and I thought I lived in Hades.

Back in Nashville they had some great CW music on the AM, never browsed for anything else on AM.
Here we don't even listen to AM, may try tomorrow in the car, but since this is Hades I doubt I'll get anything better than Zeta does.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 07:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

AM is pretty much dead here afaik, locally maybe you can pick up one station but I'm not 100% sure about that.
FM still has plenty of stations.

I never use radios now anyway, haven't for like 20 years even in cars. At work people turn the radio on out the back storage/sorting area and I turn it off constantly. It's just annoying background noise imo and everyone has a different opinion about what station it should be on :roll:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 11:29 
True fan
True fan

Only time I listen to AM radio is for Coast to Coast AM. Hasn't been the same since Art Bell left, but it's always fun listening to nut jobs talk about Big Foot and Alien abductions while working.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 22:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have been an ardent AM radio listener since I was like a little boy. Nowadays I do not listen to it as much as I used to, of course. There used to be tons of AM radio stations in the
90s. Nowadays there is not a single one left in Germany which is I believe is a bit of a shame. Most countries in Europe have shut off AM radio broadcasting completely. I remember when France was very present
with its high power long wave radio stations that could cover the entire country and parts of its neighbouring countries, too. Yes, it seems old-fashioned nowadys and to most people it does not make much sense any longer
but in case of a disaster it is still the most effective way of reaching big areas and many people with a single frequency. AM radio is still very much alive in Japan today and I think this is one of the reasons.
For sparsely populated countries such as Mongolia or even parts of China ( Tibet, etc. ) it still makes sense. Even North Korea is still very active with several AM radio transmitters ( FM radio being only available in
the capital and a few other bigger cities in the country ).

Btw, you can listen to live AM radio broadcasts via the internet nowadays using a technology called websdr. You can find more information here: http://www.websdr.org/

I can also strongly recommend this link here: http://kiwisdr.com/public/

I still have a lot of fun using some of the available online websdrs. There is one from Japan that works very well.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 23:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When I was into AM radio last...was probably the early 90s. It was interesting to me because in the middle of Michigan I could occasionally get stations from Boston and NYC whereas I couldn’t even get Detroit stations via FM. Also the overnight talk was more diverse then. Old timers calling in about The War or getting their asses kicked at a garment workers strike in 1929 or whatever. Now it’s all sports and the John Birch Society.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]