It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:23

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Singin' in the Rain #52A (1952) [CC1210L]
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 12:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Singin' in the Rain #52A (1952) [CC1210L]

Never seen Singin' In The Rain before. I ended up buying the wrong Criterion version and ended up with the CLV disc. I wasn't going to watch it and just move it on and buy the CAV edition. Two things though came out of watching this disc.

1. How the hell have I never seen this film until now and just dismissed it because it's a musical and they are not something I am in to. This is a great film, really really enjoyed it! The film buzzed along at a rapid enough pace and the numbers are all utterly iconic, especially that scene with the lampost of course. Every pore of this film just oozes pure, golden, iconic cinema. Plus of course, it has one of the most famous song's ever written in it.

One scene I really enjoyed was the Broadway sequence near the end. The whole thing was superb, but the part where Gene Kelly is dancing with the 'the dancer' (Cyd Charisse) on the deserted beach road was just magnificent. I haven't the first clue about choreography, dancing or anything like that, but you could tell that the sequence itself was incredibly technical, but add in the extraordinarily long, billowing veil as a part of the dance and you could just see how difficult, yet masterfully executed that dance was. If you watch closely, or use a jog wheel if you have one on your remote control, you will see the absolute fluidity and precision of Gene Kelly's dance expertise he musters to keep that veil under control. Especially towards the end when The Dancer is swaddled in the veil then unwrapped to fly away out of his arms. I wonder how many takes that took to successfully complete?

Plus the backdrop art on that scene was just wonderful. The kind of imagery I dream up in my mind sometimes of places and beaches I have seen on my travels. The whole thing is just iconic. Brilliant film. I'll be upgrading to UHD if one is released for sure. Firmly in my top films of all-time list now.

2. The CLV disc is nothing to be sniffed at. The image is actually superb. One of the very best discs I have ever seen in my experience watching Laserdiscs. Colours and detail are clear and concise. I imagine on a really high end set up, with a Lumagen etc in tow, this would look and sound even better. Goodness knows what the CAV version would be like if this single disc CLV edition is the benchmark.

Criterion really pulled out all the stops with this one I think. It really is well done and looks and more importantly sounds great across the board. If you cannot find the CAV version, or want to save a few Euro's, definitely get this CLV edition. I don't think you will be disappointed. Highly recommended. And again, I'm very disappointed in myself for waiting this long to actually see the film!

Post subject: Re: Singin' in the Rain #52A (1952) [CC1210L]
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 12:58 
True fan
True fan

I recall watching this on BBC2 back in the day. I remember it being a fun screwball comedy type film. Of course the gene kelly scene is iconic. So much so its the image on the cover.

Been holding out for the AC3 version: https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/08188/ML106467/Singin-in-the-Rain

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 13:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you see the Criterion CLV, pick it up without hesitation, it is very good. If the CLV AC-3 disc uses the same video source as the Criterion CLV then you should be golden. I still hope to get the Criterion CAV, going off of The Killer CAV in my collection I hope it's as good as that. I'll definitely go balls-out UHD HDR though if one comes out, which I assume it surely must at some stage.

The lamppost scene is beyond iconic. I'm not sure what higher accolade you can award it when a scene like that, and the title song of course, are so well known. It transcends generations too. Definitely something special.

As good as that scene is, I personally preferred the dream road/dream beach road sequence not just on how great it looks, but also just how complicated the whole dance is. Watch it again if you get a chance and notice how difficult that must have been to control. I wonder if a blooper reel exists? If they did it all in one take I would be amazed.

Here is the sequence I mean:

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 13:44 
True fan
True fan

Truly spectaular choreography and engaging camerawork. Looks like it was done in a single take which is true craft. If they remade this film today that sequence would have a hundred edits.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 14:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It does look like a one take job doesn't it? That makes it all the more spectacular imho. Yer wan's legs must be made of stern stuff with some of the moves she pulls off too. Give the disc a spin if you get a chance.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 16:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s a great movie.

There is, at least in theory, little to no picture upgrade for CAV. Don’t be disappointed when you get the CAV one and the picture is identical. The advantage of CAV is in the Trick Play. The only situation where a properly done CAV disc looks much better when playing than a CLV one is when the player is out of alignment. They both have exactly the same amount of pictures information, completely unlike tape.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 17:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't own this but I think from what I remember reading about CLV to CAV there may be a super small handful of CAV that are better.
Probably less than 1% of all discs may be better in CAV, so unbunch and all will be well.

Enjoy the films and format don't worry about the CAV/CLV too much unless you need those extras.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 19:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks both, that is good to know about the differences in the CLV/CAV. I'll keep a lookout for it, but given what you are saying I may just stick with what I have and get a UHD HDR copy if one is ever released.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 02:07 
True fan
True fan

Get the MGM CAV set. Really exceptional LD and MGM discs that came after Criterions can usually be a bit sharper.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]